• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: Trump recorded bragging about his fame letting him violate women in 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.
They don't know what they're talking about. Trump is done.

I'd love that to be the case, but none of his past assholery seems to have stuck, so it's hard to be even cautiously optimistic at this point.

The Ohio numbers that had the race there indeed narrow from a 5-point to a 2-point lead are from earlier this week, well before the Trump Tapes: http://www.politico.com/blogs/swing-states-2016-election/2016/10/poll-who-is-winning-in-ohio-229188

edit to correct mixup: It was a 4-point lead for Clinton in the mid-August Monmouth poll that narrowed to a 2-point lead in their early October poll while Quinnipac had Trump up by 5 points at the end of September.

That sounds like the one. I'll be keeping an eye out to see if anything changes next tally.

There is zero post tape polling released. Probably won't be till after the debate, either. They are just lying or stupid.

Also anyone mid polling probably had to reset everything since this is such a huge paradigm shift as their polls would be useless.

Not sure why they'd bother as everyone seems to be hoping like hell he'd drop. They both looked pretty glum about the whole thing.

Um, the dozens of people that are pulling from his Republican establishment support along with the endorsements towards him? It's huge news because it means that will affect his chances of becoming president.

List of Donald Trump Presidential Campaign Endorsements, 2016

Just look at this list of all the support that he has (or used to have).

Yes? As I said, this was on the news and they said despite all the pulling out of support it didn't seem to have hurt his polling numbers. Not sure if losing mainstream Republicans does anything to a guy who seems propped up by a strong fringe of nutballs, racists, and misogynists who couldn't care less about Mitt Rommney's endorsement. I hope it tanks him, I truly do. It's just hard to believe anything will stick. As others have said, though, there are no new numbers out yet, so this morning news speculation is probably just that: speculation. Here's hoping when we do get numbers it'll back up the dropping support from officials.

CuT2rDvWEAAomDR.jpg:large

Sooooon.

I hope it doesn't get rained out.

Oersted

Compared to him calling most Mexicans rapists, wanting people to be profiled and banned from coming to the country based on their religion and ethnicity, wanting people to be tortured etc? Yeah this locker room bravado is pretty mild.

I mean don't get me wrong, this is a fucking terrible thing to say. But grading it on a curve it's not even in the top 5 worst things he has said since he started the campaign.

Which is why reps withdrawing support for this is hilarious.

Calling Mexicans rapists makes them a threat and him a protector.

Ban of muslims makes them a threat and him a protector.

Torturing terrorists... well, you get the point.

Assaulting women makes him a threat.

Its really not that hard to grasp. You can't spin assault.

nynt9

I don't see why anyone who was staunchly in his camp would go "oh nevermind then" now. He's said tons of repugnant shit and people were still gunning for him. Most of those will still stick to their guns. The threat is not over yet.

Nigel Farage (Ukip) sure is trying.

"Donald Trump's lewd remarks are 'ugly', but it's the kind of thing, if we are being honest, men do."

Trump's remarks are just "alpha male boasting."

120v

Is Hillary in for a landslide victory at this point?

I need it to be humiliating defeat for this fucker.

dunno about landslide but if the bottom really has fallen out she'll probably pick up non battleground states like arizona or georgia. or at least they'll be way more close than they should be

Bubba T

Making a comment attacking women (presumably white) resonates more than the comments about minorities.

Who woulda thought??????

TheContact

All of this can only hurt trump. While most of his supporters will justify his actions, certainly a voter who was on the fence about who to vote for isn't going to side with trump now. Trump really needed to pull new voters in. I think he's done for. Especially since more info is supposedly coming out against him.

It's not (only) about the assault itself. People who supported him thought they now had a choice between the establishment and someone who doesn't care about political correctness, who does all those things which need to be done, if you know what I mean.

Now people start to realize that Trump himself is part of that establishment, because he said in this interview that he's above it all. Because he's rich and famous. And this is the final nail for his coffin, not the actual bragging of him being a first-call asshole and amisogynist. Everyone was perfectly aware of that before.

coopolon

Is Hillary in for a landslide victory at this point?

I need it to be humiliating defeat for this fucker.

It won't even be close to a landslide. this hurts him, like all the other scandals hurt him, but the effect of this scandal, just like all the other scandals, is being exaggerated in echo chambers like neogaf. Everyone is saying look at all the lost endorsements as evidence he is done, when have endorsements by party leadership ever mattered to trump or his success? Most of these same people strongly condemned him until he won the nomination and then only reluctantly endorsed him, why would them jumping ship have any effect?

This stuff is vile, but there's a huge portion of the population who don't hear sexual assault when they listen to those tapes and will write it off to boys will be boys.

Which is all very sad. I do think he has very little chance of success barring any huge reveals about Hillary, unfortunately for him his base isn't big enough, but it's plenty big enough to present a land slide.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
As an outside observer, I'm not sure why this absolutely awful thing that Donald Trump has said is proving to be so much more damaging to him than all of the other absolutely awful things that he has said before.

What is it about this awful thing in particular that's screwing him so hard?
He needs female Republicans to vote for him. He cannot rely on white males alone.

diaspora

Why do people keep calling the talk of violating people and getting away with it "locker room talk"? Have you people ever been to a locker room?

So Trump is completely and utterly done now then right? I think he was done long before this but this has to be the final nail in the coffin The vile fucker should never have gotten there but I wouldn't be too fond of Clinton either. As an outsider I have to say this whole election campaign has bordered on farcical. This isn't how politics should work.

Clinton is the one of most qualified to ever run for office of the President in recent memory.

BBC News this morning (I'm an American in England) seems to confirm my fear that it will mean nothing in the long run. They had two guests, one of which covered the Republican side of things and she said that despite all the hullabaloo, his numbers hadn't really shifted at all and that he was even up a bit in Ohio. :/ Does anything hurt this guy? I'm just baffled.
They have no clue what they are talking about. There is a reason why many long-time Presidential election observers are saying that it;s effectively over. What you're hearing is just regular spin by the losing team.

BBC News this morning (I'm an American in England) seems to confirm my fear that it will mean nothing in the long run. They had two guests, one of which covered the Republican side of things and she said that despite all the hullabaloo, his numbers hadn't really shifted at all and that he was even up a bit in Ohio. :/ Does anything hurt this guy? I'm just baffled.

Yes this will hurt him and so did everything before that's supposed to hurt him. He dipped after the debate, he dipped after he insulted the dead soldier,..

It's a myth that he's invincible. He has his base that will always vote for him but he needs to get more and this will not help.

If anything it takes up valuable time he will have to spend on the defense instead of attracting more people to his side.

He's done.

RangerX

Banned
Clinton is the one of most qualified to ever run for office of the President in recent memory.

They have no clue what they are talking about. There is a reason why many long-time Presidential election observers are saying that it;s effectively over. What you're hearing is just regular spin by the losing team.

I'm not saying she isn't qualified. She obviously has the experience for the job. I think shes disingenuous and her politics are too far to the right of mine. The democrats are slighlty to the left of what is considered the main centre right party in my country.Shes better than that other fucker though.

It won't even be close to a landslide. this hurts him, like all the other scandals hurt him, but the effect of this scandal, just like all the other scandals, is being exaggerated in echo chambers like neogaf. Everyone is saying look at all the lost endorsements as evidence he is done, when have endorsements by party leadership ever mattered to trump or his success? Most of these same people strongly condemned him until he won the nomination and then only reluctantly endorsed him, why would them jumping ship have any effect?

This stuff is vile, but there's a huge portion of the population who don't hear sexual assault when they listen to those tapes and will write it off to boys will be boys.

Which is all very sad. I do think he has very little chance of success barring any huge reveals about Hillary, unfortunately for him his base isn't big enough, but it's plenty big enough to present a land slide.
He was defying the odds in the beggining, admittedly but he was a flawed candidate from the start. All these stories are all adding up,plus the successful definition of the Clinton of Trump over the summer. They basically painted him a bully, sexist and and all around asshole. There is a reason why they sprung the Alicia Machado trap last week. He is basically getting killed by a thousand small cuts.

Most poll trend lines also show that Trump never even lead the whole cycle. His best week ever only got him tied with Clinton. This has been a remarkably stable race.

I'm not saying she isn't qualified. She obviously has the experience for the job. I think shes disingenuous and her politics are too far to the right of mine. The democrats are slighlty to the left of what is considered the main centre right party in my country.Shes better than that other fucker though.

She cannot run as that far left candidate and win a general election, that doesn't mean she won't have the ability to 'evolve' over the course of her presidency. America is still a center right country.

Demoskinos

I'm at work right now and I feel like I'm in a fever dream. I'm currently watching two of the women I work with just completely handwaving the fact that trump is bragging about sexual assault. Trump supporters are something else man. Its astounding how willfully they plan on voting against thief self interests.

johnny956

Yes? As I said, this was on the news and they said despite all the pulling out of support it didn't seem to have hurt his polling numbers. Not sure if losing mainstream Republicans does anything to a guy who seems propped up by a strong fringe of nutballs, racists, and misogynists who couldn't care less about Mitt Rommney's endorsement. I hope it tanks him, I truly do. It's just hard to believe anything will stick. As others have said, though, there are no new numbers out yet, so this morning news speculation is probably just that: speculation. Here's hoping when we do get numbers it'll back up the dropping support from officials.

Trump isn't immune to what he says. As we have seen with the Khan comments it does hurt his numbers. You have mainstream well known republicans in power who said they no longer can vote for Trump and even Trump's Vice President nominee saying he can't condone it. That has never happened in U.S politics. Between that and the next debate today. I expect Trump to be decimated

Also pundits will try to spin it every way possible. We've seen it yesterday but generally they've been torn apart as ridiculous by everyone else including the anchors on TV

coopolon

Yeah, because long time presidential election observers have been so spot on analyzing this election up until now.

Her Dis-ingenuousness is your opinion.

Raxus

I'm at work right now and I feel like I'm in a fever dream. I'm currently watching two of the women I work with just completely handwaving the fact that trump is bragging about sexual assault. Trump supporters are something else man. Its astounding how willfully they plan on voting against thief self interests.

Ya brain broke.

She is barely to the right of Bernie Sanders when you actually look at her policies and record over the years.

Do you think we'll get another tape right before the debate starts or will they save it in case he doesn't do terribly at the debate

They say there are a bunch more, even worse stuff (my bet is on statutory rape and/or incest). How fast is too fast? 3 times a week, 4, right until the election?

Yeah, because long time presidential election observers have been so spot on analyzing this election up until now.

They have, yes. Those that anaylized the poll correctly rightly predicted that Trump had a good chance in the primary, which are admittedly more volatile, and the polling is sparser (caucuses vs primaries). How about the the general Presidential race after both nominees have been chosen? Pretty straight forward to predict based on demographics,the candidates themselves,economic metrics and historical precedence.

For example, the reason the Clinton camp is trying to paint Trump as a misogynistic asshole and buffoon is to peel away college educated whites from the Republicans, and it's working. You can see these effects on the swing state as a result: those with higher rates of college educated whites are more firmly in the Clinton camp (CO, PA, VA, NC) than those with a lower rate (IA, OH, NV) which are more competitive.

Do you think we'll get another tape right before the debate starts or will they save it in case he doesn't do terribly at the debate

They say there are a bunch more, even worse stuff (my bet is on statutory rape and/or incest). How fast is too fast? 3 times a week, 4, right until the election?

Yeah, an hour before the debate would be insane.

"Donald Trump's lewd remarks are 'ugly', but it's the kind of thing, if we are being honest, men do."

I wish 'Farage believes men enjoy discussing/bragging about sexual assault' was a headline in the UK. The fact the man is the leader of a notable political party is a fucking joke, like it always has been.

They have, yes. Those that anaylized the poll correctly rightly predicted that Trump had a good chance in the primary, which are admittedly more volatile, and the polling is sparser (caucuses vs primaries). How about the the general Presidential race after both nominees have been chosen? Pretty straight forward to predict based on demographics,the candidates themselves,economic metrics and historical precedence.

For example, the reason the Clinton camp is trying to paint Trump as a misogynistic asshole and buffoon is to peel away college educated whites from the Republicans, and it's working. You can see these effects on the swing state as a result: those with higher rates of college educated whites are more firmly in the Clinton camp (CO, PA, VA, NC) than those with a lower rate (IA, OH, NV) which are more competitive.

People have spent so much time bed-wetting about his supporters would defend him for anything, that they've been blind to what effect his campaign has had in general.

zelas

Both of them are still bragging. Not as bad as some of the other horrendous shit he has said.

I am not saying it's not a bad thing to say. It is completely indefensible. But compared to some really scary stuff he has said (not the least of which is "why can't we nuke people"), this is mild.
To you maybe. This guy was completely indefensible to me the moment he said racist shit. But having racist views isnt a crime. A lot of the other stuff he has said hasn't clearly crossed the line into illegal activity either. Sexual assault is a literal criminal offense that's he's admitting he's done. It's objectively worse. So much so that Trump himself can't defend it or present an excuse as to why sexually assaulting women is ok. Even though he's done so in every other occassion.

The fact that you can't set aside your personal moral standards to see rape for what it is says everything about how oblivious so many people are today. And coming from a male I really laugh at the notion that most dudes are sexual assaulting women they barely know before broadcasting it in the locker room. Dudes bragging about pushing their erection onto a woman while on the train or how they assaulted one of their patients is not typical locker room talk unless you're hanging out with Cosby, Gibson, or Trump.

danthefan

There is a kernel of truth in that if we're being honest with ourselves.

But if this sinks Trump then great.

kaskade

The stuff I'm seeing on Facebook about people defending trump is insane. I'm seeing the fact that women bought 50 shades of gray. Why should they be offended about his comments? A few boys will be boys comments too, one was from a dad commenting on his daughters post too (both Trump supporters).So if some man walks up to your daughter and "grabs her by the pussy" it's ok? Ya know, boys will be boys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom