• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate |OT| Releasing Before Capcom Sues For A Game With Cameos

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Warriors Orochi is a crazy mashup of the Dynasty and Samurai franchises, with its own original fantasy plot. It has the most characters and the wackiest story line.

So for a gameplay standpoint, how does it stand out between the others would you say? I would think that since this is the third re-release, this is probably a pretty popular game in the genre.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Probably asked but I didnt see it.

This is probably the best bet as a casual fan who likes battles and armor, coming from Diablo and Dark Souls, correct?

This one looks fun, Dynasty and Samurai never appealed to me. Or would I just be better off waiting for Hyrule Warriors.

The character roster here seems like MvC2 crazy.

The pure fantasy storyline may be more appealing to some folks than the wacky take on chinese/japanese history of the other games.

The structure of WO3U is also pretty good as a grindy/loot game. Essentially, the plot is your team is time traveling around to the sites of battles to win them and recruit an army of characters. Crafting and leveling are so emphasized, that individual characters can be prestiged 9 times. Starting over at level 1 with bonuses.

I think Hyrule Warriors may be very appealing due to the Zelda theme. But not as robust in content as this game.

Mrbob

Doing research online regarding the issue with the PS4 version, it does appear that the patch is online for cloud transferring a save now with vanilla WO3.

When Sam War 4 hits, I will definitely be cautious about buying the digital copy until it is clear that another PSN snafu does not occur as well. I am confident that eventually this PS4 error will be fixed, and it is very possible there is a LOT of backend issues to clear through legal and testing(especially those of us getting the PS3 version unintentionally), but what a mess. Cannot fathom how the internet would respond if this occurred next week with Destiny.

Agreed, the only reason there isn't a massive amount of rage are the musou games being niche in the west. Hopefully the digital issue gets fixed soon. Taking money from consumers with nothing in return and no true time line for a fix is bad form.

Listonosh

So for a gameplay standpoint, how does it stand out between the others would you say? I would think that since this is the third re-release, this is probably a pretty popular game in the genre.

I'd say the Orochi series, now at least, are the most shallow of the bunch, since it doesn't include the weapon switching or any of the enemy officer weaknesses that were in DW8X for example. But, it is a whole lot of fun. Already Promoted (prestiged) Ryu Hayabusa twice and got his mystical and ultimate weapons, and he's just OP as shit, but I have a feeling that most of the characters are like that. I'd say this game focuses more on being fun and over the top than trying to be technical.

Well it's an easy game for Koei to port and add new stuff to and make it like a new game :p

I would say, this game is a lot easier to break into little pieces. Elements are key here with how easy the weapon crafting system is, you can very easily make anyone into a demigod here. There's a whole bunch of different tools you can use (assist attacks, switch attacks, two kinds of special, true triple, triple rush, etc, etc) as well as a bunch of new stuff in the Ultimate release.

It's a fun game as this is probably where you really will feel like you are defeating hordes and hordes of enemy just with all you can do.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Agreed, the only reason there isn't a massive amount of rage are the musou games being niche in the west. Hopefully the digital issue gets fixed soon. Taking money from consumers with nothing in return and no true time line for a fix is bad form.

Yea, I did at least speak to a representative directly this morning over the phone, who was VERY helpful and understanding of the situation. He offered to give me a refund that would take 3-5 days and would be in the form of PSN store credit.

I chose to hold off on the refund for the eventual license fix that he also assured me is being worked on and should hopefully occur sooner. No ETA of course, but he verified the problem on his end at least and confirmed that I do have the license for the PS4 game, so the fix should allow the download to occur whenever it goes live.

le sigh. But I've dealt with far worse customer service.

fernoca

Really enjoying this on PS4. Looks clean and sharp...tons of enemies too.

Not playing much since I've earned two trophies but because is like the game doesn't exist on their server, don't know if I'll need to unlock them again.

Hopefully it will be solved soon.

Dazzyman

What an expensive and great week for releases. Just doing digital download for this Desting collectors and NHL15.

Looking forward to playing this as only played Dynasy Warriors 7 on 360

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Want to bite on the Vita version but I think I'll wait for more impressions and a general consensus of the port quality. I find my attention span to these games drops off quickly on consoles but is way longer when I can play it anywhere.

Same

Lyte posted some pics on the last page but I'm EXTREMELY skeptical after Borderlands 2 Vita

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Any idea how to get mystic weapons n 5th weapons/ultimate

Is there any reason to use the suggested teams/characters? I kind of only want to use whoever I want, but I don't want to miss out if it is necessary to use the suggested people in order to unlock characters or side stages or anything

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Is there any reason to use the suggested teams/characters? I kind of only want to use whoever I want, but I don't want to miss out if it is necessary to use the suggested people in order to unlock characters or side stages or anything

You won't miss anything save for maybe a little bit of extra dialogue during the stages.

I'd say the Orochi series, now at least, are the most shallow of the bunch, since it doesn't include the weapon switching or any of the enemy officer weaknesses that were in DW8X for example. But, it is a whole lot of fun. Already Promoted (prestiged) Ryu Hayabusa twice and got his mystical and ultimate weapons, and he's just OP as shit, but I have a feeling that most of the characters are like that. I'd say this game focuses more on being fun and over the top than trying to be technical.

Weapon switching doesn't matter when you're capable of using 3-5 characters at once and switching between them on the fly. It's the same concept, except you actually get MORE depth in Orochi since specific teams have unique team moves and characters are not boggled down using weapons that lack EX moves since it's not their unique weapon.

Weapon affinity in DW8 is an artificial difficulty mechanic. Not really something I would say is deep per say, as it just ties into superarmor aspects and allowing you to storm rush, but in turn can also disrupt your own combos. It's a very mixed opinionated system in the musou community.

Here's an example of the combo possibilities of Orochi when you play it correctly.

I will say however, that the gameplay speed of SW4 and DW8 are a lot faster than Orochi's though.

fernoca

Well, PlayStation Chat Support just told me that the issue with the trophies on PS4 not appearing at all, should be solved by tomorrow. There was a problem with the licences which is what also caused the first people that purchased the game digitally and didn't gave them the PS4 version.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
actually reading up you do need to use the recomended team to get their 5 star weapons (mystic)

found this on gamefaqs.
Play either Story Mode or Free Mode, but choose only the recommended characters for whatever stage you pick.

At some point throughout the level, you will SEE a GREEN "TREASURE HAS BEEN FOUND!" message pop up in the message list. You simply have to go pick it up, BUT know that you have to break the box first (it takes a couple of hits).

Sadly, only ONE character will get the 5-star weapon per level; so that means LOTS of repeated grinding...

the other weapons are synthesized true weapons which are unlocked in gauntlet mode (unlimited mode is japans version name )

Introduced in Ultimate, synthesized weapons have high attack power and take on the appearance of fourth weapons. These are crafted from rare and high-grade materials found exclusively in Unlimited Mode. Aside from gathering the right materials, players must also pay the blacksmith a hefty amount of 20,000 gems and 2 crystals in order to produce a single synthesized weapon.

http://koei.wikia.com/wiki/Warriors_Orochi_3/Miscellaneous_Weapons#Character-Specific_Weapons

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Same

Lyte posted some pics on the last page but I'm EXTREMELY skeptical after Borderlands 2 Vita

The Vita WO3U is great. Nothing to worry about...all of the musou Vita games have been fantastic on Vita with one exception -Dynasty Warriors 8 XL- and run and play very well. No need to take my word for it...this game is almost a year old in Japan. Look up videos for Musou Orochi 2 Ultimate.

Revan

Got this on the vita, dropped about 10 hours into it (love long plane rides) - there is a slight framerate issue when the horseman and a TON of enemies are on screen but it's not that bad - there is pop in too but not enough to stop me from thouroughly enjoying it (played OG WO3 on the 360).

Quick q - how does one unlock
Kasumi
?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Revan, You need to beat the Battle Of Yanzhou in Chapter 2 to get Kasumi. You'll know it's her level when you see a side mission stage that looks like a DOA5 arena. She's awesome, BTW.

Framerate issues and pop in are in the PS3 and PS4 versions too. The Vita version generally displays less enemies on screen and has some reduced background detail. The original game is a bit older than recent musou titles and the engine is definitely showing its age, as do the character rosters. The PS4 version is the best version of the game overall, but didn't get the same visual enhancements as DW8XL (and from videos, SW4-- will know tomorrow); Koei was a bit lazy with the port.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Just bought Dynasty Warriors 8 for PS4 two days ago. I see this is released on Friday too, many people getting it?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Here's a tip for Gauntlet Mode that makes it much, much more manageable: Never, EVER go into a stage without the "Scout" formation. I realized that most of my wipes were due to my entire party always being together in the same spot, and thus getting slammed by enemy musous all at once. With Scout active, everyone goes off and scouts around, and better yet doesn't take any damage while doing it. I think CPU controlled characters in Gauntlet don't take damage unless they're on the screen with you (or at least, very near you). Gauntlet is much, much easier this way.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
How long is the game? Does it have good replayability? And what about performance, is it fine or a mess?

Thanks in advance.

1. I'm at nearly 200 hours (vanilla WO3 playtime combined with Ultimate playtime) and nowhere near done. Won't be surprised to hit 300 hours.

2. See above.

3. Performance is fine. Some slowdown and pop-in, but that's to be expected in a musou game.

deim0s

1. I'm at nearly 200 hours (vanilla WO3 playtime combined with Ultimate playtime) and nowhere near done. Won't be surprised to hit 300 hours.

Is that so? I'm in the long haul then.

All I can say coming from (and enjoyed) vanilla DW8, that it IS slower and obviously a step down. But I'm liking what I see so far with the first two missions. Seeing that ogre/giant enemy surprised me... Are there other similar sized monsters in the game?

Here's a tip for Gauntlet Mode that makes it much, much more manageable: Never, EVER go into a stage without the "Scout" formation. I realized that most of my wipes were due to my entire party always being together in the same spot, and thus getting slammed by enemy musous all at once. With Scout active, everyone goes off and scouts around, and better yet doesn't take any damage while doing it. I think CPU controlled characters in Gauntlet don't take damage unless they're on the screen with you (or at least, very near you). Gauntlet is much, much easier this way.

Damn good tip.

I just ran the first level. Had no idea what I was doing, died, but managed to beef up my three current mains (Ayame, Zhang Liao, and Ryu) to double their levels.

Also, as a tip to everyone, don't be afraid to use team attacks. I see a lot of people shy away even though they have tons of meter for it. Those buttons are your friends.

Mrbob

At the very least I can confirm the save transfer patch works. Moved my save file from PS3 to PS4 last night. With Persona 5 coming to PS4 time to put the PS3 into retirement.

2. See above.

3. Performance is fine. Some slowdown and pop-in, but that's to be expected in a musou game.

Thank you for the information.

I'm awfully tempted to triple dip. I have like 200+ hours on WO3 alone. I see a few familiar posters from the WO3 thread.

I'm thinking of getting this on Vita + PS4. Any cross save options?

Mudo

Anyone know if the downloading issues for this on PS4 have been resolved?? I am waiting to be able to safely buy it and am ancy!

I'm awfully tempted to triple dip. I have like 200+ hours on WO3 alone. I see a few familiar posters from the WO3 thread.

I'm thinking of getting this on Vita + PS4. Any cross save options?

Cross save is possible across all three versions of Ultimate (PS3, Vita, PS4)

Gibbo

The performace on the PS4 version is abit disappointing tbh. I would say that the game spends most of its time below 60fps

So, the Duel mode is way more entertaining than I was expecting. The cards give it some depth and it can get pretty damn hard. Doing survival mode with is seems like a good way to gain Growth Points. I got 114k GP and 4 Crystals from 34 wins that took me 15 minutes.

Does the Retail PS4 version come with any built in DLC? I have the DW4 / SW1 outfits (in game listed as Downloadable Costume 2) and there are no DLC in the shop to even get. Unless, I had these on the save previously on ps3 and it carried over (I honestly can't recall if I ever bought any DLC outside of a few stages).

Iorv3th

The performace on the PS4 version is abit disappointing tbh. I would say that the game spends most of its time below 60fps

I just started tonight. Am really surprised there is no like digital manual or anything under activity, trophies, nothing shows up under the 'disc menu' on the dashboard. Graphics don't really look improved at all from what I remember of the 360 version either, although more units on screen maybe?

Top Bottom