• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 |OT| Explode 'em like a Blood Sausage

Uriah

Started over with a better squad. I seem to be doing better in combat, though I think I'm gonna run out of ammo soon.

I'm returning to the
Prison
area to hopefully finish up Arizona but it just feels like a slog here. The game is kind of wearing on me at the moment. I'd like more quests and less combat, but I envision the next 6+ hours being spent clearing out these areas as they are stuffed with enemies......

I dunno I think Wateland 2 is selling pretty well for a game as niche as it is. It's peak player count is pretty good and it has been setting in the top ten best selling games on Steam since launch I believe.

Divinity Original Sin is a WRPG with party and turn based combat, so exact same genre, and it has sold much better. It was two weeks straight number 1 on the top sellers in Steam (W2 fall on the third day), and one extra month in the top 10.
Of course, there is still hope, it may be the case where moderate sales are maintained for some months.

Moff

yeah it also fixed some of the stuttering when moving the camera over bigger distances, its not perfect but much better

SparkTR

Divinity Original Sin is a WRPG with party and turn based combat, so exact same genre, and it has sold much better. It was two weeks straight number 1 on the top sellers in Steam (W2 fall on the third day), and one extra month in the top 10.
Of course, there is still hope, it may be the case where moderate sales are maintained for some months.

Eh, there was much less competition when Divinity released. There is no real number that a game at the top of the chart sells, during that slow point in the year a game at the top of the charts then may only be about 2 or 3 now when there's so many other popular games coming out. The fact that it's staying up high when other games like Gauntlet and Stronghold are dipping is a positive sign.

Pehesse

In
Hollywood
, trying to do
Veronica
's quest to gather votes... But things seem to be broken beyond repair.

I've gotten 3 out of 5, Manny's, Rambeau and the Burger Joint, which should be enough already, but she doesn't allow me to say "yes" when she asks if I've got enough votes. In addition Flo's vote is bugged since I finished her quest and she now owns the bar, but the journal wasn't updated with the correct info, and the conversation option to change her vote is no longer available, even through typing keywords. I tried changing the xml values, but they only update the journal's appearance, not the actual quest flags, apparently... so it appears I won't be able to solve Hollywood that way unless another patch comes very soon. Strange, since the patch mentioned Flo was fixed already...

Also, I've had the guy in the graveyard say something like "!!Error, the attached state has no string reference!! or something like that, with a never-disappearing speech bubble, so I guess the entirety of Hollywood is breaking down at the seams :-D

A bit disheartening, since I'm running into more and more bugs as I progress (had the hostage party bug in
Angel Oracle
among many other smaller ones), but I suppose Fallout 2 was in a similar state at release as well :-D Still one of the best RPG's experience of this year for me... though I'll definitely wait for a patch to replay it to be sure I can complete quests the way I want to :-D

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Has the lighting glitched out for anyone since the patch? The burning firey letters when you find a place don't show up anymore, and a few places seem much, much darker than I remember.

Valley of Titan
is a real bummer.

Has the lighting glitched out for anyone since the patch? The burning firey letters when you find a place don't show up anymore, and a few places seem much, much darker than I remember.

I've had one spot where the shadows, like... moved or something, into place. It was sort of like 12 hours passed in 4 seconds. I don't know if they were misplaced before that, or moved and returned to their original position or what. This was post-patch.

It was weird.

Dakota47

I prefer playing tbs games on my laptop in stead of in front of my pc. Does anybody have any experience with running this game on a 2014 Macbook Air?

epmode

Good PC RPGs tend to make their money over the long term. They'll be fine.

I'd like to see better sales but Wasteland 2 is pretty rough around the edges so I can understand why it may not take off like Divinity. As long as it sells well enough to keep inXile in business, we're golden. It takes time to turn an otherwise unremarkable studio into a top tier RPG house after all. Torment is the real test.

Xater

Assuming you got Angela Deth, you can get one from

The Ag Center or Highpool, depending on which you chose.

There's
one at the Leve'Lupe mine, but that might be hard, depending on your gear

There are also
Up to 3 choices at the Rail Nomad camp to the north, and one in Darwin (only if your charisma total of your total party is over 20

At the very least, it's more damage done to/by the party. I bumped it down to rookie for a bit, and my shots were doing more than the projected damage (approx. 1.5x ish)

Did get no one in Darwin. Do I need a quest for the Rail Nomad camp? I have it on my map but no quest associated with it.

Did get no one in Darwin. Do I need a quest for the Rail Nomad camp? I have it on my map but no quest associated with it.

How to get all early party members:

Angela Deth: walk up to her and talk to her at the start of the game.

Vulture's Cry: choose to save Highpool. Talk to her before letting her out of the cage or she'll just run off. Might need to save her from the juvies first by distracting them.

Rose: choose to save Ag Center. I don't know if she has any real special requirements.

Ralphy: in Rail Nomad Camp, follow the girl who runs up to you at the start to save Ralphy from drowning. Use brute force to knock over the pillar that doesn't have a skull on top. Later, find him and his mother in one of the train cars, and she'll send him with you.

Scotchmo: in Rail Nomad Camp, the hobo area. You need a total party charisma of 12 which is fairly easy to reach. Just talk to him and he'll say "hey can I join" if your total cha is over 12. NPCs are counted and you can also wear dog collars that give +1 cha to help.

Chisel: finish Rail Nomad Camp with the best possible solution, peacefully. When you leave, he will approach you and ask to come with you. Do not click him to talk to him, that can break his joining up, just get near him and let him talk to you.

Takayuki: save the miners at Leve L'Upe mine. Talk to him afterward and he'll come along.

Pizepi: finish Darwin with a good outcome, try not to kill too many researchers, tell Jill that you won't tell anyone about their base. Pizepi requires at least 20 total party charisma to appear. She will show up outdoors at the entrance to the base. She is currently kind of buggy, you might need to enter, exit, save, reload etc. until she shows up.

Zabojnik

Finished Ag Center, went back to the Rangers Citadel. They sell some pretty awesome shit there, compared to what I'm equiped with. There's a sniper rifle I want, but it uses .30-06 cal ammo, which isn't for sale and I have none. I'm guessing I'll come across it sooner rather than later? The sniper rifle is only 300$ or so, but if there's no ammo (yet), I'd rather spent the cash on armour or some shit.

Dat nuke in the museum, loool.

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm blind.

nbthedude

If anyone knows a friend that wants a cheap copy. I have an unused DRM free Good Old Games code I'm willing to sell at a loss for $18.99. Bought a copy for a friend but ended up up stuck with an extra.

PM me.

Sothpaw

We really don't know how well WL2 is selling compared to Divinity. Divinity was top of the Steam charts right after a massive Steam sale so it had no competition. We do know that WL2 is selling well and is a success: http://www.shacknews.com/article/86432/wasteland-2-rakes-in-15-million-in-sales-in-four-days

The Steam charts do not tell you much other than what game is bringing in the most revenue that day.

As long as it sells well enough to keep inXile in business, we're golden.

Based on the Shacknews article I don't think we have anything to worry about.

Decado

We really don't know how well WL2 is selling compared to Divinity. Divinity was top of the Steam charts right after a massive Steam sale so it had no competition. We do know that WL2 is selling well and is a success: http://www.shacknews.com/article/86432/wasteland-2-rakes-in-15-million-in-sales-in-four-days

1.5 million is only around 37,500 copies.

Does anyone know how to minimize the typewriter paper UI? It takes up about a quarter of my screen. Really annoying.

It's never once worked for me. Even when I try and type a Keyword that was actually in the list of options previously but was cancelled out by another choice or I already used it.

Have the typed-in keywords worked for anyone? Aside from Vargas, they don't seem to work. If you type in a word the NPC is supposed to recognize, you get a sound but no text. According to the game's forums, it's still an unresolved issue: https://forums.inxile-entertainment.com//viewtopic.php?f=34&t=7932

1.5 million is only around 37,500 copies.

Does anyone know how to minimize the typewriter paper UI? It takes up about a quarter of my screen. Really annoying.

Does it really even matter though? The game was funded through kickstarter so it was paid for by the people who want to play it. Even if this game doesn't sell, enough people could fund wasteland 3 the same way.

epmode

Does it really even matter though? The game was funded through kickstarter so it was paid for by the people who want to play it. Even if this game doesn't sell, enough people could fund wasteland 3 the same way.

It wasn't entirely funded by Kickstarter. About half of the total budget was from inXile.

O.DOGG

Has any9ne completed the thief quest in angel oracle? I am stuck on it.

Enter the steam vents, and you will find a broken synth there and the stolen items.

OK, I got a bunch of broken quests in Hollywood. Damnit, and it was going so well!

How do I help Flo get the diner and get rid of Schwag? She tells me to talk to Heidi but Heidi won't talk to me about anything but Veronica being in love, and if I have the evidence. I can't even enter where Schwag is, because the door is locked, and he won't talk to me on the intercom.

Can anyone help?

Decado

They invented a lot of their own money in this as well. Budget was well above 3m.

Vaporak

The Steam charts do not tell you much other than what game is bringing in the most revenue that day.

Based on the Shacknews article I don't think we have anything to worry about.

You seem to be mistaken, we do know about how well both sold. That article you linked has WL2 selling a few 10's of thousands of copies in it's first few days, while divinity sold 160 thousand. The fact that InXile is giving revenue instead of copies (which makes it sound more impressive) should be a worrying sign to you, not letting you know that it's a success.

Honestly, I think the whole sales-age thing for a game like WL2 is completely off-base since the PC market and the CRPG genre are completely different animals to the expectations that tend to come from AAA console space. There's absolutely nothing on the horizon that will replace or compete with WL2 for party-based post-apocalyptic RPG that features a ton of replayability. The same holds true for D:OS, though it is in the more competitive fantasy side of the genre. Sales are good even if they're not setting the world on fire. These games don't have to rely upon front-loading because people will forget the game in a few weeks' time when another is there to steal its sales. CRPGs that are good have long tails. WL2 should be fine as they keep fixing it and polishing further.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Honestly, I think the whole sales-age thing for a game like WL2 is completely off-base since the PC market and the CRPG genre are completely different animals to the expectations that tend to come from AAA console space. There's absolutely nothing on the horizon that will replace or compete with WL2 for party-based post-apocalyptic RPG that features a ton of replayability. The same holds true for D:OS, though it is in the more competitive fantasy side of the genre. Sales are good even if they're not setting the world on fire. These games don't have to rely upon front-loading because people will forget the game in a few weeks' time when another is there to steal its sales. CRPGs that are good have long tails. WL2 should be fine as they keep fixing it and polishing further.

Yeah, this is a market where the games are 'evergreen' titles like that guy at double fine keeps saying ;P. They keep selling long after launch even if it isnt a ton. If In-exile can establish this and Torment as two franchises they can be rotating on the income.

It wasn't entirely funded by Kickstarter. About half of the total budget was from inXile.

This is the only thing that could cause a problem. A common trend amongst these KS is the ambition is very high and a lot more money is actually going into the games from the devs back catalogs. They arent sticking strictly to the KS funds cause they see more potential.

At the start the KS idea was simple, that you give us money and we make the game and if the game doesnt sell then 'oh well' no big deal cause it was self-funded. But now sales are becoming more important in all these projects unfortunately. The old publisher models are creeping their way back in.

Almighty

All signs point to Wasteland 2 being well on the way to being profitable for inXile though. I think there is some middle ground between being a surprise hit like Divinity and being considered to be selling poorly. The again that might be because when I hear a title is selling poorly I take it to mean that it has a very good chance of not recouping its development costs.

How do I help Flo get the diner and get rid of Schwag? She tells me to talk to Heidi but Heidi won't talk to me about anything but Veronica being in love, and if I have the evidence. I can't even enter where Schwag is, because the door is locked, and he won't talk to me on the intercom.

Can anyone help?

Computer Science the door, blow off Schwag's head

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
In regards to sales, Wasteland is going to ride 2 months of full price sales and then roll directly into the black friday/christmas sales and clean house.

ParityBit

Man, how do you get money? Seems I am always trying to buy ammo and I am back to the main camp and can not buy any of the nice shiny new weapons/armor!

Dresden

Man, how do you get money? Seems I am always trying to buy ammo and I am back to the main camp and can not buy any of the nice shiny new weapons/armor!

Kill dudes, break down their weapons and sell the broken weapon parts to the trader in the Citadel. Sell junk, but hold onto the shit because shit sells for a decent amount, for what it is, to Tan.

Almighty

Yeah just sell what ever you find and eventually you will be swimming in money and ammo. Then you will have the problem of the merchants not having any money to buy your random crap with.

ArjanN

Yep, that's a good #REKT.

Problem isn't the RNG, it is how high is jamming percentages, it's that simple. Even for weapons in a post apocalypse.
5%, 6%, 7%... is super high.
Because it's per bullet. That means the probability of using a single 30bullet magazine in an AR without jamming it it's super small. Imagine for a moment how silly would be to play a fps like Red Orchestra or Arma and having your weapons jamming in 4 of 5 magazines.

Ever played Far Cry 2? :p

BeesEight

This game's writing is so good.

It's inconsistent. Some parts are good and other parts not so much. I do prefer this type of storytelling though, so it's the best I've played in a long while.

no u: the quest

Ha, basically.

I am at the RailRoad Nomads and
Am I supposed to take Ralphy or Let him starve lol
?

It depends. Do you have a conscience?

As for jamming - I'd find it infinitely more frustrating if the enemies didn't operate under the exact same mechanics. There's been a few combats that I've won because the enemy jams their weapon two turns in a row or some ludicrously unlikely amount.

Top Bottom