• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 |OT| Explode 'em like a Blood Sausage

Leb

Wait, am I reading this right? Only a ~20% chance of firing off an entire AR mag without a jam (assuming 5% jam chance)? Is that really how they implemented this?

Kurtofan

Dammit, Veronica Questline spoilers, please tell me if it's fucked

I can't tell Ascension McDade that Veronica loves him because he's the new evangelist, any ways around that?

Vaporak

Wait, am I reading this right? Only a ~20% chance of firing off an entire AR mag without a jam (assuming 5% jam chance)? Is that really how they implemented this?

My AR's have a 3% jam chance, and with mods 0%. So yeah, get someone who can take care of your weapons or your post apocalyptic scavenged weapons will jam.

In other news I found a sidequest at a mine, and holy shit at the enemies inside. I got through the first two encounters using a couple of explosives each, but took one look at the third and noped out of their. Gonna have to come back here later, hopefully I can. :/

Zukuu

Banned

They have reduced the jam-chance of a couple of weapons, mainly Assault Rifles. With a mod attached, my previous 3-4% ARs now have 0%. :)

Is there a telling when you don't need "white items" at all / anymore? E.G. what can I do with Exploding Pod fragments? (went to highpool first) or Small Engine or...

Also, is there NO loot on combat maps? I've found not a single container. Only an exit and enemies.

Almighty

They have reduced the jam-chance of a couple of weapons, mainly Assault Rifles. With a mod attached, my previous 3-4% ARs now have 0%. :)

Is there a telling when you don't need "white items" at all / anymore? E.G. what can I do with Exploding Pod fragments? (went to highpool first) or Small Engine or...

The small engine is used to repair that water purifier in the shop/doctors building in Highpool I believe. What I usually do is right click it and see if it give you the option to use it or not. If it does I keep it if it doesn't I sell it usually. Though there are a few items the guy in the Ranger museum wants. Might want to check with him first, overall it is a pain in the butt.

ParityBit

So I am running around with a ton of points. The only times I have upgraded my skill is when I need it, like lock picking and safe cracking. Should I be upping my weapon skills soon? I have a feeling I may hit a wall soon.

Zukuu

Banned
The small engine is used to repair that water purifier in the shop/doctors building in Highpool I believe. What I usually do is right click it and see if it give you the option to use it or not. If it does I keep it if it doesn't I sell it usually. Thouhg there are a few items the guy a the Ranger museum wants to might want to check with him first. Overall it is a pain in the butt.
Seems http://wasteland.wikia.com/wiki/Wasteland_2_items has listed where you need some of those items.

So I entered the citadel for the first time and the quartermaster is giving two requisitions. Should I get weapons instead of bonus stat items?

So I entered the citadel for the first time and the quartermaster is giving two requisitions. Should I get weapons instead of bonus stat items?

I would save your requisitions for now. As you find her more items, she offers more pieces of equipment, some of them unique and powerful.

Somehow I got my hands on a White Death somewhere else in the game so I'm really glad I didn't buy the requisition one.

DiscoJer

So I am running around with a ton of points. The only times I have upgraded my skill is when I need it, like lock picking and safe cracking. Should I be upping my weapon skills soon? I have a feeling I may hit a wall soon.

So far, 7 or 6 seems more than good enough for weapon skills. I've been keeping my points unspent until I need them for a skill

I would save your requisitions for now. As you find her more items, she offers more pieces of equipment, some of them unique and powerful.

Somehow I got my hands on a White Death somewhere else in the game so I'm really glad I didn't buy the requisition one.
Good to know.

Also, is it wise to use skill points on wide variety of skills on my leader character? Or should I just focus on spending points on leadership and weapons skill?

I've already spent 2 points each on toaster/mechanical/computer skills on this character.

Narras

So, I just found out that the rookies in the beginning of the game can be recruited if someone from your core group dies. Made me think of starting a game adding those three as the core team. :p

Don't know if it's possible to recruit them that early into the game, though.

Vaporak

Does anyone know how armor works in this game? I have just been assuming that it subtracts from the opponents damage (after any other modifiers) and didn't want to spend any money testing it out.

Sanctuary

This may have already been mentioned, or painfully obvious to most, but:

1. When you find the various
skill manuals that give +1 to non combat skills
save them. Don't use them unless
you are either at 5+ in the skill, or you didn't plan on having anyone invest in it anyway. The books give a flat +1 rank, and ranks progressively cost more points the higher up you invest, so...

2. Don't ever outright sell weapons if you have someone in your group that has weaponsmithing, even if you don't need the mods. Junk parts usually sell for around 20% more than what you could get from simply vendoring the weapon. In that regard, I can't see any possible reason to ever invest anything into Bartering when Weaponsmithing exists that than for strange RP purposes.

3. If you're having ammo issues, make sure you aren't using burst fire unless absolutely necessary. The listed AP/damage isn't really everything. Why fire off 3 rounds for 7 AP (with a reduced chance to hit) when you can fire off two rounds for 10 AP that will almost certainly hit? Similarly, sniper rifle headshot is actually kind of shitty. You get the guaranteed 200% damage, but at a very high cost. About the only time it's worth using this is if you are running low on sniper rounds. Sniper rifles have a very high crit modifier to begin with and for the same AP you could potentially get two shots off that crit for higher overall damage and outright kill two seperate targets instead of one. The only time I ever use headshot with sniper rifles is when initiating a fight.

Does anyone know how armor works in this game? I have just been assuming that it subtracts from the opponents damage (after any other modifiers) and didn't want to spend any money testing it out.

No, there's more to it than that.

It's something like, if you don't have enough armor penetration you deal 50% of the damage you would have, and/or it gets worse for every point below the threshold you are.

Vaporak

2. Don't ever outright sell weapons if you have someone in your group that has weaponsmithing, even if you don't need the mods. Junk parts usually sell for around 20% more than what you could get from simply vendoring the weapon. In that regard, I can't see any possible reason to ever invest anything into Bartering when Weaponsmithing exists that than for strange RP purposes.

This isn't the case, in my game at least. For the low valued weapons its true, but junking my higher valued weapons nets less money in scrap parts than just selling the guns gets me.

Sanctuary

This isn't the case, in my game at least. For the low valued weapons its true, but junking my higher valued weapons nets less money in scrap parts than just selling the guns gets me.

From your previous post it doesn't seem like you are actually far enough into the game yet, or maybe it's simply based off of the level of your weaponsmithing (i.e. you get back more junk parts the higher your level). I just tested this, and in every case, at rank 4 weapons up to $124 in value yielded junk parts that sold for $150. All of the $43 weapons gave more value from junk parts too.

No, there's more to it than that.

It's something like, if you don't have enough armor penetration you deal 50% of the damage you would have, and/or it gets worse for every point below the threshold you are.

Dunno about that. This is directly from the manual:

Certain attacks and ammo types have Armor Penetration values, which go from 1-10. This indicates how much Armor the attack can ignore to apply damage directly to the target's CON. However, Armor Penetration is not converted into damage. That is to say, if the Armor Penetration is higher than the Armor value, it is not turned into bonus damage, it just means all of the weapon's damage is applied directly.

However if the Armor Penetration value is lower than the target's Armor Value, the difference is subtracted from the damage done. The lower the Armor Penetration value, the more damage is lost. It is possible for all your hits to land but do no damage, such as if you're shooting with a 0 Armor Penetration light caliber pistol at a robot.

Larger caliber rounds tend to have higher Armor Penetration but are also more costly, so use them wisely. Energy weapons have a unique inverse relation to Armor, and do more damage the more Armor a target has.

That last bit about Energy weapons though is only partially true. The weapons don't keep scaling up, doing more damage the higher the armor. They have flat damage bonuses once a threshold is met and scale no higher.

From your previous post it doesn't seem like you are actually far enough into the game yet, or maybe it's simply based off of the level of your weaponsmithing (i.e. you get back more junk parts the higher your level). I just tested this, and in every case, at rank 4 weapons up to $124 in value yielded junk parts that sold for $150. All of the $43 weapons gave more value from junk parts too.

It's definitely something to play with. I have savescummed on weapon salvaging and you can get anywhere from 5 broken weapon parts to 20, at least in Arizona with max level weaponsmithing. It's completely random. Great weapons will give 5 and crap weapons will give 20. If you're unlucky it might not be too worth it.

The other thing is, make sure you sell the junk parts to the guy who pays more for them in the Citadel. I think it'd be quite possible to get less money if you just sell to any random guy.

Actually I did a pretty good test recently. I loaded up one character with weapons ready to salvage (I've been saving a lot in the citadel storage). I pretended to sell them all to the dude next to the crate, and he offered me about $5100. I then salvaged everything, got a bunch of mods I didn't care about (which were always worth less than the weapon I salvaged) but also got a bunch of parts. Then I sold the results of everything and he offered me $5300. Not really that much profit, for the amount of stuff I was selling. And again, this is to the guy who offers more money for the parts.

Dunno about that. This is directly from the manual:

The manual's wrong, the one thing we know about armor penetration is that it's NOT simply subtractive.

The numbers get too high for it to matter. Armor would be totally pointless if you shot an enemy for 85 damage but his armor reduced it to 81. People have observed that there's as much as a 50% damage reduction for not piercing, and that's why SMGs kinda suck.

Sanctuary

The other thing is, make sure you sell the junk parts to the guy who pays more for them in the Citadel. I think it'd be quite possible to get less money if you just sell to any random guy.

Actually, I forgot to mention that. He does offer more than random vendors (so far), but he even claims that he will pay more for them too.

The numbers get too high for it to matter. Armor would be totally pointless if you shot an enemy for 85 damage but his armor reduced it to 81. People have observed that there's as much as a 50% damage reduction for not piercing, and that's why SMGs kinda suck.

That isn't the only reason SMGs suck. Early on they are up close ammo dumps, and later why bother when you could be using a superior weapon type? Maybe if you really go out of your way to min/max on another playthrough they could be way more useful than any of the melee skills, since eventually you'll stop using the early bullets for both SMGs and pistols and typically have a surplus if just using pistols. You would just put an SMG on a high speed character and slowly work them toward a higher Armor Piercing type weapon. Shotguns are similar in that regard. There are very few instances where Shotguns could be considered beneficial.

Anyway, the manual does actually appear to be slightly off, if not strangely worded. Just started fighting the
Honey Badgers in the mines
and my minimum damage on my rifle is 37 with 4 Armor Piercing. The enemy had 5 Armor and I hit for 34 and then 33.

(first map area)
Valley of Titan
is filled with badly designed combat arenas. Lots of elevated and fortified spots that enemies take zero advantage of, instead opting to blindly rush you at every turn. And there are a lot of turns. This is not helped by the "special" enemies in the region, who is a total gorram bummer to fight. It is a twisty, labarynthine succession of areas filled with nuisances that are no real threat to you, especially if you use long-ranged weaponry.

It's also where I've hit my first game-ending progression bugs. If you want to avoid the problem, do exactly as they say in this area and nothing else.

More specifically, these are the errors I encountered:
  • If you kill monks during your journey to the temple and they double the tribute, accept the offer right away; if you deny it and return later, they'll never give you the extra containers you need to proceed and you'll be at a dead end. You cannot attack them to proceed, because they'll trigger Titan and presumably end everything.
  • If you've killed DBM troops on your journey to their HQ, they will initially attack you until you hurt their LT. a bit(?), which then prompts a dialog to disarm and enter the HQ or continue fighting them. Opting to fight them is impossible because a couple DBM are literally immune to direct damage. (Bleed still works, oddly enough. Probably another bug.)

Wasteland 2 is becoming a drag. I hope the rest of the game isn't like this.

Gazoinks

I swear some of my combats in this game are like a Three Stooges sketch. Two of my guys lose control and run up to the front of the party, then an enemy approaches and trigger my Ambush on my leader, who promptly shoots one of the guys who just lost control for half his health. Come on guys, keep it together!

Damn I should have made my main char an energy weapon user. I got one of the pre-made NPCs, Hex, and she's an energy gun spec and that phaser is pretty sick. I went with SMG as primary and blunt weapon as secondary. Kinda lame

I swear some of my combats in this game are like a Three Stooges sketch. Two of my guys lose control and run up to the front of the party, then an enemy approaches and trigger my Ambush on my leader, who promptly shoots one of the guys who just lost control for half his health. Come on guys, keep it together!
This is why I'm going to max Leadership

Gazoinks

Damn I should have made my main char an energy weapon user. I got one of the pre-made NPCs, Hex, and she's an energy gun spec and that phaser is pretty sick. I went with SMG as primary and blunt weapon as secondary. Kinda lame

Yeah, I didn't do a great job with this guy's skills. He has Leadership + all the talky skills + Assault Rifles, so he's spread pretty thin.

BeesEight

Similarly, sniper rifle headshot is actually kind of shitty. You get the guaranteed 200% damage, but at a very high cost. About the only time it's worth using this is if you are running low on sniper rounds. Sniper rifles have a very high crit modifier to begin with and for the same AP you could potentially get two shots off that crit for higher overall damage and outright kill two seperate targets instead of one. The only time I ever use headshot with sniper rifles is when initiating a fight.

Good advice. I just wanted to put a small addendum on this one. I'll sometimes use the sniper headshot ability in order to kill lobbers immediately. Enemies like that can be very deadly if they get even one turn to attack.

Kind of wish the heavy weapons had a non-burst fire option. :(

[*]
If you kill monks during your journey to the temple and they double the tribute, accept the offer right away; if you deny it and return later, they'll never give you the extra containers you need to proceed and you'll be at a dead end. You cannot attack them to proceed, because they'll trigger Titan and presumably end everything.

I've come across numerous suggestions that Titan is a dud. Don't know if you've tried attacking them but I'd be surprised if there's actually any teeth behind their mutually assured destruction threat. Haven't finished that quest myself, however.

Sanctuary

Good advice. I just wanted to put a small addendum on this one. I'll sometimes use the sniper headshot ability in order to kill lobbers immediately. Enemies like that can be very deadly if they get even one turn to attack.

I guess I should have said "in general", since there are instances (although rare) where you would want to use it to make sure you finish off a big threat and you might be lower on AP. But typically, if you had enough AP to shoot twice, there's not really a reason not to other than ammo.

I've come across numerous suggestions that Titan is a dud. Don't know if you've tried attacking them but I'd be surprised if there's actually any teeth behind their mutually assured destruction threat. Haven't finished that quest myself, however.

Yes, his issue has me scratching my head if there's no way to progress. Getting beyond that area would explain why.

I've been doing it since my first restart. Got so sick of the shenannigans. Also, supposedly the control loss reduction is global, and so NPCs can be out of the influence of your chance to hit radius and still obey.

Dresden

You need like four or five ranks in Leadership, max. The hit chance boost is negligible, so all you want is enough influence to stop NPCs from berserking.

---

Found a trinket that boosts combat initiative by 3. Then found another one ten minutes later off a traveling vendor. Sniper with 20 CI now, one of my assault rangers with 17 CI.

Sanctuary

You need like four or five ranks in Leadership, max. The hit chance boost is negligible, so all you want is enough influence to stop NPCs from berserking.

---

Found a trinket that boosts combat initiative by 3. Then found another one ten minutes later off a traveling vendor. Sniper with 20 CI now, one of my assault rangers with 17 CI.

I wanna say Rose berserked at four still, but I haven't seen it at all at six, so it might be five. Nice trinkets BTW.

I have to say I was really finding the game a drag near the end of Arizona, just too much combat. But after a solid visit to some areas around Cali, I am loving it. I am finding the balance of quests/combat to be much better here at the moment, hope it continues. Also the maps seem to be a little more manageable so far. In any case, I've done some questing and none of its broken yet, so, far so good!

danthefan

I'm only right at the start of the game, I made a melee character but have been reading they're a bit useless, is this true? Will just restart if so.

Deraj

I'm only right at the start of the game, I made a melee character but have been reading they're a bit useless, is this true? Will just restart if so.

I find melee is more useful as a backup skill for when you're out of ammo.. Assault rifles are the best weapons so have at least 2 train up on those. I also use a sniper with a back-up sub-machine gun for when she gets rushed.

is there a place to sell broken weapon parts in the second half of the game or should I just sell it to anybody?

So far this is my GOTY, even considering the various jankiness of it. I am mostly dissapointed in the severe lack of NPC graphics, but still GOTY.

Arulan

Injecting SMAA really helps with the IQ, the in-game AA (FXAA?) is terrible. I tried 2x2 OGSSAA and 4xSGSSAA but the performance hit is too severe, especially when I'm comfortably at 120fps right now.

No AA

screenshot541957kfl.png

SMAA Injector

In-Game AA (Presumably FXAA)

O.DOGG

Man, so many broken quests...

I'm supposed to help McDade by killing Jones. I have a "Jones and his followers have been defeated" but whenever a speak with McDade, he gives me the same "Please Hurry" line.
I've cleared the Bastion but whenever I speak with Luis Bermudez, he tells me "You've killed us all". How?? Veronica has also disappeared, and I don't know what else to do to finalize the peace treaty.

It's so disappointing they released the game in this state. They could've kept it for another month, wouldn't have been a big deal but it would've made huge difference in the quality of the finished game.

I really do hope that all of you who are having technical issues or have gameplay gripes are expressing these on inXile's official forums. I know Brother None posts here, but I'm unclear as to whether he checks on this thread or any inXile folks do, so posting something here may go unheard and unaddressed.

willooi

Man, so many broken quests...

I'm supposed to help McDade by killing Jones. I have a "Jones and his followers have been defeated" but whenever a speak with McDade, he gives me the same "Please Hurry" line.
I've cleared the Bastion but whenever I speak with Luis Bermudez, he tells me "You've killed us all". How?? Veronica has also disappeared, and I don't know what else to do to finalize the peace treaty.

It's so disappointing they released the game in this state. They could've kept it for another month, wouldn't have been a big deal but it would've made huge difference in the quality of the finished game.

Had the same problem but solved it by walking all the way up inside the main room inside the Bastion, where that globe thing is. It then triggers the cutscene that ends the quest.

yarden24

finished the game, was a fun game, highly recommended!

took me 44 hours, with doing every side content i could find, so its not exactly the 80 hours promised,but that's fine.

anyone else finished? some of the ending didn't actually reflect my choices, wondering if that's a bug for other people.

O.DOGG

Had the same problem but solved it by walking all the way up inside the main room inside the Bastion, where that globe thing is. It then triggers the cutscene that ends the quest.

Hey, that worked. Thank you! I was ready to replay 2+ hours in hopes of avoiding the bug.

Kurtofan

Finished the game, pretty great, shame the Hollywood/God's Militia quests was so buggy that I ended up locking myself out of a lot of content, I guess I'll try again on another playthrough.

For those who don't want to be locked out of some content
Do Veronica's questline before going to the Bastion of Faith

I guess I should have said "in general", since there are instances (although rare) where you would want to use it to make sure you finish off a big threat and you might be lower on AP. But typically, if you had enough AP to shoot twice, there's not really a reason not to other than ammo.

Yes, his issue has me scratching my head if there's no way to progress. Getting beyond that area would explain why.

I've been doing it since my first restart. Got so sick of the shenannigans. Also, supposedly the control loss reduction is global, and so NPCs can be out of the influence of your chance to hit radius and still obey.

If the comment about leadership is true, what is the point of charisma since it increased your leadership radius?

willooi

Hey, that worked. Thank you! I was ready to replay 2+ hours in hopes of avoiding the bug.

You're welcome! I was trying everything, running back and forth and even started lobbing grenades at the entrance to that shortcut he mentions because I didn't have high enough Brute Force to get in, haha.

finished the game, was a fun game, highly recommended!

took me 44 hours, with doing every side content i could find, so its not exactly the 80 hours promised,but that's fine.

anyone else finished? some of the ending didn't actually reflect my choices, wondering if that's a bug for other people.

Took me 100 hours easily! I returned to a lot of settlements to see the aftermath of many choices though, as well as trying to see if unique items I picked up would be of use to various people around the place, so that probably accounts for a big chunk.

And thanks to vague/poor description in the logbook, spent forever looking for the
Sierra Madre stash
in Damonta, literally combed every inch of the place, only to find it somewhere else entirely.

Loved it, felt so much like Fallout 2, and didn't want it to end. Started a new game right away. My ending slides seemed ok, but this time round I chose Highpool instead of Ag Centre and the reactivity doesn't seem to register right from the off.

Favourite aspect has got to be reading item descriptions and then it clicks - ah yes I should bring this back to X - and then be rewarded for it.

BeesEight

That's why I wanted to make it a short addendum. My area currently has a number of enemies where I'm using headshot a lot but I hadn't used it up to this point at all. Unfortunately, I never have enough AP to fire twice in a round, even with lucky AP. :(

I found a trinket for +2 Leadership which saves me a ton of points!

kd-z

The Prison. Damn.

Up to this point the game was mostly silly nonsense: giant plants, giant bugs, silly train Indian tribes. Brutal and violent, sure, but also very silly.

Because of that the Prison hits hard. Like,
a guy just straight up kills himself when I leave! Or a woman wants me to put her out of her misery. I'm pretty sure finding her husband and a cure is doable, but her moans were too much, so I did what she asked for. Even the conversation with the pig farmer is freaking sad thanks to the amazing writing.

Also, I just got this gem from The Night Terror: "A mean person said I'm "unholy", but I got all the normal holes." Damn right you do, little dude.

Top Bottom