• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 |OT| Explode 'em like a Blood Sausage

O.DOGG

Just finished it. Despite a few annoying bugs (and the fact that the ending didn't completely reflect my actions) I loved the game, and I'm happy I helped kickstart it. I'll probably play it again in a year when all the bugs have been ironed out.

Varna

Strange.

I finished
Highpool
afterwards I visited the
AG Center and did a pretty good job of looking it over. I got 10 cures for the pod infection. One of my guys ended up getting infected so I used one of them. Of course as I'm heading back to HQ I get 3 calls to clean up infected locations. I use two of the cures to clean up the water and now I'm completely out.
This normal?

Sanctuary

Man, weapon balance is completely out the window in this game. It's all about Assault and Sniper Rifles. Energy weapons come into their own two-thirds of the way through, except in one case...

That fucking GAMMA RAY BLASTER, oh my god.

But if you missed that, you're kind of up a creek in a way for a while with that weapon type.

Dr.Acula

Banned
3E2FDABC2045D92CBDEF8D4F6AEEA6C5B53C8241

Vulture's Cry and Hopi have a convo in Spanish. Any idea what it was about?

"wassup?"
"how bout them robots?"
"something about white people"
"later bitch?"

Worth it :)

Deraj

How do I do that? It says quest item in my inventory and when I look at the tower it says something like "it is working normally."

From memory, I think you have to examine the broken tower then you get a radio call from Vargas saying it's time for Plan B.

Moff

where exactly is damonta?
I was told it was east of the temple, but there are just mountains and no new locations pop up when I travel around there, where is it?

Kyougar

my first bug in the game :>

B79ED14CFE6D36067F42C80FDE95BC267D69BF4B

70E9DA3CC3637225A86CD124ECBAD09A4B4BA63E

the numbers were going up and up. After I got in the real fight, I couldnt do anything anymore. Also couldnt besolved by reloading. Had to restart the game.

Volodja

where exactly is damonta?
I was told it was east of the temple, but there are just mountains and no new locations pop up when I travel around there, where is it?
After you are east of the canyon, head north, it's around halfway (maybe a little less) between the temple and the silo 7, it's not a particularly larg passage so you should find it.

AHA-Lambda

Just finished it. Despite a few annoying bugs (and the fact that the ending didn't completely reflect my actions) I loved the game, and I'm happy I helped kickstart it. I'll probably play it again in a year when all the bugs have been ironed out.

Can you give an indication of how long Cali is to AZ? I've nearly finished AZ, just wondering how much is left.

I finally got to the second half of the game last night.

Kind of a mini-review of all of the first half:
Overall it was pretty good. I really enjoyed the three major choices: Ag Center vs. Highpool, Topekans vs. Atchinsons, Mad Monks vs. Diamondback Militia vs. raiders. I feel like they were well designed with plenty of impact based on the choices you made.

Titan was just really interesting overall, I liked the uneasy peace of mutually assured destruction being played out on a small scale, and all the ways you could interact with that playground.

Damonta was a cool place with good atmosphere, and I loved that first real "boss fight" feeling from the game. The first real good-and-evil heroic thing you get to do, I think. Loved how you could use hacking to change the terms of the encounter.

The Prison and associated content was a low point. I liked some aspects of it, mostly the flavor, the assessor who would ding the poor farmers with all sorts of ridiculous taxes, the model farm, etc. I didn't like how railroaded it was. Everything else gave you more ways to solve the problems, but there you HAD to visit it once, encounter a brick wall and leave, and you HAD to go back later after something terrible happened with no way to prevent it. They could've designed it better.

I was genuinely surprised that Bobby was the leader of the RSM. I feel like this wouldn't have much or any impact on anyone who isn't familiar with the original Wasteland. I know they describe events from it well enough but it's just less "oh shit" if you didn't see it yourself. I didn't play much of the original but I did read a Let's Play years ago, so it was pretty cool to see. The Rangers were the architects of their own problems. I really wish I had saved Highpool so I could see if anyone there reacts to the fact that Bobby is alive!

I feel like it was a good wrap up to Arizona. Seems like the first half of the game is coming full circle on the Rangers' presence on their home turf, revisiting a lot of locations and ideas from the original game and seeing them more fully-developed, and then the second half is going to be new territory.

Thoughts on starting the second half:
Much more interesting right from the start than the beginning of the game! I feel like it was a really strong intro, with events leading up to leaving for LA and then the whole first area, fortifying your makeshift HQ. We've been getting little peeks into what's going on in LA all along with radio snippets, and the latest batch of transmissions that lays out the major players in the area and their motivations is kind of exciting. I also like getting a whole batch of missions at once, different directions I might pursue, including a directive to just help anyone who might need help. It's starting from square one again, which I love, exploring a whole new area not knowing what the threats are.

The major players all sound more interesting than the ones back home too. Instead of...raiders...and tribals...and meaner raiders...this time around there are a couple robot overlords, a crazy religious cult and a crazy Ned Flanders cult?! What!

Also
the Night Terror is awesome and adorable and I hope it stays with me for the rest of the game.

willooi

Thoughts on starting the second half:
Much more interesting right from the start than the beginning of the game! I feel like it was a really strong intro, with events leading up to leaving for LA and then the whole first area, fortifying your makeshift HQ. We've been getting little peeks into what's going on in LA all along with radio snippets, and the latest batch of transmissions that lays out the major players in the area and their motivations is kind of exciting. I also like getting a whole batch of missions at once, different directions I might pursue, including a directive to just help anyone who might need help. It's starting from square one again, which I love, exploring a whole new area not knowing what the threats are.

The major players all sound more interesting than the ones back home too. Instead of...raiders...and tribals...and meaner raiders...this time around there are a couple robot overlords, a crazy religious cult and a crazy Ned Flanders cult?! What!

Also
the Night Terror is awesome and adorable and I hope it stays with me for the rest of the game.

Totally agree. I love the way LA starts, going from being these big badasses everyone's heard of in AZ to
complete nobodies, where your weapons are inadequate against the robots and the new factions are packing another level of firepower altogether. Having to start from scratch and build up your reputation, all the while urgently needing to locate Team Foxtrot, created such great tension

I'd heard that a while ago and it's still crazy to me. That's a ton of content.

Surprising to me how little discussion there is about events in LA, maybe just because not a lot of people are there yet? Maybe there aren't as many major decisions to make with lasting repercussions?

nbthedude

From memory, I think you have to examine the broken tower then you get a radio call from Vargas saying it's time for Plan B.

I recall him saying something to the effect of "At least we can get the one at Highland running" or something but I go back to Highland and the radio tower seems fine and tells me so when I click on it.

willooi

Surprising to me how little discussion there is about events in LA, maybe just because not a lot of people are there yet? Maybe there aren't as many major decisions to make with lasting repercussions?

Oh there's plenty of decisions. I think people are more trying things out based on their playstyles as the 'good guys'. LA is full of undoubtedly bad factions who you can either stop, or...well, do the 'not so good guys' thing. There's also a massive optional choice near the end which I assume not many have made thus far in fear of what it might lead to.

BeesEight

I hate Damonta.

I've spent so much god damn time trying to get Ray through that bloody fight with the stupid synth, only to have the damn thing blow up Binh when you win. Re-did the fight a couple of times suiciding rangers to Binh trying to get her out while being chewed up by robots only to find those damn computers after so many tries. Rescue Binh and keep Ray alive. Success!

Step outside: two fucking slice and dicers.That would be hard enough without the god awful Ray who keeps deciding to run his face right into them. Ugh!

Sanctuary

Aw hell yes!!

IXUEa6W.jpg

Did you get the handheld that was an Atari Lynx reference yet? It was something that started with a "B" I think, Ocelot. I also found my first "rubber toy" last night...

I hate Damonta.

I've spent so much god damn time trying to get Ray through that bloody fight with the stupid synth, only to have the damn thing blow up Binh when you win. Re-did the fight a couple of times suiciding rangers to Binh trying to get her out while being chewed up by robots only to find those damn computers after so many tries. Rescue Binh and keep Ray alive. Success!

Step outside: two fucking slice and dicers.That would be hard enough without the god awful Ray who keeps deciding to run his face right into them. Ugh!

He only moves when one specific character in your party moves, as though he's leashed to them alone. Find which person that is and drag them extremely far back from where any combat will be. Ray will still rush in like an idiot, but by the time he finally arrives, the battle should be almost over. You might also be able to take just that person and Ray and dump them inside any area that requires a manual enter/exit where they can't enter and exit on their own too.

Did you get the handheld that was an Atari Lynx reference yet? It was something that started with a "B" I think, Ocelot.

Yeah, Bushnell Ocelot. You can either sell it to the gamer at RNC for 150 scrap or do the sensible thing and give it to Mercaptain for another requisition.

Dr.Acula

Banned

I just got to LA last night, and I'm
hours in.

I noticed there wasn't an option to take one of the characters I found on the helo to LA. I might try mixing my party around and doing it again, seeing if I can get them on board.

I just got to LA last night, and I'm
hours in.

I noticed there wasn't an option to take one of the characters I found on the helo to LA. I might try mixing my party around and doing it again, seeing if I can get them on board.

I think Lexcanium is bugged to not be a choice. I already did the mixing around for you and reported it to the devs. :p

I was able to choose 3 of Ralphy, Dan Q, Takayuki, and Chisel. I went and killed Chisel in cold blood to see if it was a limit on the number of NPCs that could be displayed, and nope, only Ralphy, Dan and Takayuki were choices.

I swapped Rose out for Lex and then I was given a choice of everyone plus Rose, so yeah, it's just him.

batfax

I've mostly avoided mentioning it because it seems like most people are still in Arizona. LA is a pretty interesting place and is definitely the place I'm most looking forward to on a future replay.

I have a bug where my first party character can't move at all when in any combat. Anyone else have this or know what to do? He is not overburdened or wounded or anything like that. All my other characters are fine.

Denton

The mine quest - how do you trigger it? I just got to LA without doing it, I would like to do it before I leave Arizona...I only read about it here but never got any radio call about it or anything.

Moff

The mine quest - how do you trigger it? I just got to LA without doing it, I would like to do it before I leave Arizona...I only read about it here but never got any radio call about it or anything.

I got it from vargas while exploring the map via radio message

z1ggy

Can´t believe how huge this game is. I thought Cali was going to be a small area.

Also, game crash from time to time after the new patch.

Oh my god how do they come up with this stuff.

xRCTtGm.jpg

I have a bug where my first party character can't move at all when in any combat. Anyone else have this or know what to do? He is not overburdened or wounded or anything like that. All my other characters are fine.

You probably have the backpack equipped that gives you more water, right? It reduces your movement by a ton (combat speed).

Almighty

Check to see if you have an item that drops combat speed equipped. If that drops too low then you character will not be able to move in combat. Edit: Looks like UncleSporky beat me.

Denton

well if you want to know,
its pretty close to the ranger base, a bit southwest of it in one of those canyons.

Thanks, gonna check there.
Having so much damn fun playing this game.

But it also makes me sad I'm not 14 anymore and I can't play it for like 5 days straight.
This really pisses me off, the whole having a job thing puts serious dent into my gaming time. I mostly only play on weekends and that ain't enough with a game like this.

batfax

So how far along am I when I have reached Hollywood?

Pretty close to the end. After I finished messing around there, I had a clear shot towards the endgame, but I also completely missed a few locations by doing so. You may've already done those though.

Xater

Pretty close to the end. After I finished messing around there, I had a clear shot towards the endgame, but I also completely missed a few locations by doing so. You may've already done those though.

Ok thanks. Then maybe I can finish this over the next two days before I get Shadow of Mordor. If not I should at least be able to do it this week. That's good new for me because I feared I would take forever and not be done with the game until Pillars is out. lol

Sothpaw

Man, weapon balance is completely out the window in this game. It's all about Assault and Sniper Rifles. Energy weapons come into their own two-thirds of the way through, except in one case...

That fucking GAMMA RAY BLASTER, oh my god.

But if you missed that, you're kind of up a creek in a way for a while with that weapon type.

Guess they went realism instead of balance. I don't have a huge problem with that really. Pistols, shotguns and smgs do fuck all compared to assault rifles irl.

yarden24

Guess they went realism instead of balance. I don't have a huge problem with that really. Pistols, shotguns and smgs do fuck all compared to assault rifles irl.

Haha what? Pistols shotguns and smgs do plenty compared to assault rifles, in close combat situations, which a lot of the game is in, you would in fact much prefer to have anyone of the three and not an assault rifle

Sothpaw

Haha what? Pistols shotguns and smgs do plenty compared to assault rifles, in close combat situations, which a lot of the game is in, you would in fact much prefer to have anyone of the three and not an assault rifle

Not really. 9mm does less damage and has a lot less range than a NATO round. Shotgun has no range whatsoever. Just like in the game.

I am rarely in close combat in this game. All I see is ambush executed and enemies dead from AR's and sniper rifles.

RMI

Banned
excited to play this game, just downloading now. Forgot it was coming out altogether.

Vulture's Cry and Hopi have a convo in Spanish. Any idea what it was about?

"wassup?"
"how bout them robots?"
"something about white people"
"later bitch?"

Worth it :)

as for that spanish convo -

"hey sister (maybe not literally), what's up"
"very little, minus these fucking robots"
"Yes, the shit of the fucking white folks, no?"
"true, true, they died but their mistakes keep on living" -not sure how to translate lios in this case.
"like always, be careful"
"you too, friend"

compared to most of the spanish i see in video games (and especially comic books) this is pretty well done. Looks like the writing team knew what they were doing.

Sanctuary

I just found a silly exploit. That is, if you care about having a decent fist weapon and free +2 Brawling skill.

You need to have recruited Lexcanium before you decide to speak to the DBM leader, and when doing so you will first relenquish your weapons. Upon leaving they are returned to you through your inventory. This is the only way to get Lexcanium's Arm into his inventory (and he has two of them, but you only get the bonus from one).

Replacing his Arms with a weapon simply makes the Arm disappear until you remove the weapon. Once both Arms are in his inventory you can give one to another Brawler you might have with you for an assuredly better weapon than what they have at that point and +2 ranks of Brawling. I find this strangely inconsistent since you cannot remove Ace's wrench from Agela's inventory to give to someone else, yet you can remove a guy's cybernetic appendages?

Ooookaaay....

Xater

I also need to echo that after the new patch the game became very crashy for me. Mostly happens during loads of new areas.

BeesEight

He only moves when one specific character in your party moves, as though he's leashed to them alone. Find which person that is and drag them extremely far back from where any combat will be. Ray will still rush in like an idiot, but by the time he finally arrives, the battle should be almost over. You might also be able to take just that person and Ray and dump them inside any area that requires a manual enter/exit where they can't enter and exit on their own too.

Interesting. Will try this tonight!

Deraj

I recall him saying something to the effect of "At least we can get the one at Highland running" or something but I go back to Highland and the radio tower seems fine and tells me so when I click on it.

Sounds like you didn't use the quest item. You need to right click on the quest item (the repeater) and choose "add to hotkey" then stand next to the tower and click the hotkey item then click on the tower to use the item on it.

Top Bottom