• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs PC Performance Thread

finalflame

I can run everything on Ultra, 1440p, 4x TXAA, but with textures set to Medium. This gives me 40-60+FPS but with NO stuttering.

Put the textures up to high and BAM, immediate stutters.

This is on a GTX 780 Ti(1300/7900) /16gb DDR3-1600/ i5-4670K @ 4.2ghz.

Fix this shit Ubi.The game has issues loading assets and managing VRAM and is causing stutters.

FIX IT.

Dennis

Banned
Maybe I am just not sensitive to stuttering because I am not feeling this issue.

Ultra textures here, and the only time there is an issue is that once in a while there will be a drop to 0 fps and then it picks up again. But I am not feeling any stuttering otherwise.

finalflame

Maybe I am just not sensitive to stuttering because I am not feeling this issue.

Ultra textures here, and the only time there is an issue is that once in a while there will be a drop to 0 fps and then it picks up again. But I am not feeling any stuttering otherwise.

That's a stutter. I suppose some might be more sensitive to it than others, but the issue is fairly widespread. What are your specs?

elektrixx

Banned
I locked it to 30 with NVInspector. It stays at 30 on Ultra except when I drive really fast in the city.

Could running this from USB 3 fix the issue?

I can run everything on Ultra, 1440p, 4x TXAA, but with textures set to Medium. This gives me 40-60+FPS but with NO stuttering.

Put the textures up to high and BAM, immediate stutters.

This is on a GTX 780 Ti(1300/7900) /16gb DDR3-1600/ i5-4670K @ 4.2ghz.

Fix this shit Ubi.The game has issues loading assets and managing VRAM and is causing stutters.

FIX IT.

Apparently no one at Ubisoft caught this before release

Dr Dogg

Had a brief play around scaling back Level of Detail. Seems better in places and although it's still choppy here and there it's a fair bit smoother for me. CPU usage didn't change much going from Ultra to High but the distance objects came into the frame was a little bit closer and view distance looks a bit shorter so I guess that's helping a touch. Might have a deeper look at what can be manually adjusted in the config files. Ubisoft loves to tie lots of settings under one toggle instead of offering more flexibility.

This happens to me too. The game got stuck aiming down sights and everything I pressed fired the weapon. Had to commit suicide by Cop.

Yeah I had a similar situation where it flipped the controls so up was down and turning left or right jolted you in the opposite direction. Only happened twice but seemed to happen after changing graphics settings going back to the game for a second then changing and then going back.

I don't know what sort of average framerate you're getting but for me locking things down to 30fps makes it less noticeable. That's not to say it's not happening or is happening less as my usage in Afterburner shows different but if I let the game run free when it jolts back down it's really noticeable from higher average frame rates.

I did a long over-due reformat of my PC last night and now RadeonPro works with Watch Dogs! No idea what was wrong with it in the first place, but now it's all good.

o_O

Does Triple Buffering work?

I haven't checked yet, but double v-sync, SMAA and Sweetfx are all working. As an alternative you can turn on borderless windowed mode in the options and it'll activate triple buffering.

I'll try RadeonPro's implementation a bit later though; I'd actually like to finally start playing the game for a bit first :p

SaberEdge

The game runs like shit on my PC. I should have bought it on PS4.

What are your PC specs?

I have a GTX 770 and I'm getting a solid 30fps at 2048 x 1152 with ultra settings (minus ultra textures since I only have 2GB of vram) and using 2x TXAA.

I have a PS4 in addition to my PC, but there's no way I would choose the PS4 version over the PC version. I would get:

1. Much lower resolution (2048 x 1152 vs 900p)
2. Greatly inferior anti-aliasing (TXAA vs SMAA)
3. No ini or xml tweaks.
4. No SweetFX tweaks.
5. Lower resolution shadows (PS4's shadows are equivalent to "high")
6. Some screen tearing (vs totally vsynced on my PC)
7. Inferior ambient occlusion (HBAO+ vs SSAO)
8. No possibility of running the game at 60+fps or with ultra textures or SGSSAA in the future

I've never understood this attitude some people have that if they can't max out a game and run it above 60fps at all times it's just crap and poorly optimized and they're just going to buy the console version. I'm not saying that is necessarily your attitude, I'm just wondering what your reasoning is.

I mean if you are talking about switching to a console version that runs at 30fps (with occasional drops and screen tearing) why not play the superior PC version at 30fps?

bee

surprised it runs so well for me, i've had issues in the past like with diablo 3 having massive stuttering that few others seem to have

i experimented a bit when i installed it, settled on 1080p, 120hz (vsync 1 frame), 4xmsaa max settings except motion blur off and textures to high. forcing 16xaf through drivers, did the pagefile command line tweak and disabled visual themes/desktop composition on the shortcut for some extra vram, i get practically zero stuttering whilst walking around and 50-80fps, there's a little stuttering whilst driving but nothing major and get around 45-65 fps

that's with 3570k@4.4, 8gb, 780sli, installed on an 840pro

Any sign that Ubisoft is going to give us the option to remove mouse accel and auto aim ? (Yes I have a controller and no I prefer to play third person shooters with M+KB).

Thanks.

I had my first run in with insane hitching/stuttering. Something like 6.5 gb of my memory was getting used up. The game was freezing for seconds at a time. Radio music was still playing though.

Bruno

What are your PC specs?

I have a GTX 770 and I'm getting a solid 30fps at 2048 x 1152 with ultra settings (minus ultra textures since I only have 2GB of vram) and using 2x TXAA.

I have a PS4 in addition to my PC, but there's no way I would choose the PS4 version over the PC version. I would get:

3. No ini or xml tweaks.
4. No SweetFX tweaks.
8. No possibility of running the game at 60+fps or with ultra textures or SGSSAA in the future

I've never understood this attitude some people have that if they can't max out a game and run it above 60fps at all times it's just crap and poorly optimized and they're just going to buy the console version. I'm not saying that is necessarily your attitude, I'm just wondering what your reasoning is.

I mean if you are talking about switching to a console version that runs at 30fps (with occasional drops and screen tearing) why not play the superior PC version at 30fps?

Screen tearing? Playing games on PC without VSync bothers me like CRAZY but I haven't noticed even the slightest screen tearing on PS4. I'm actually blown away with how amazing it looks and runs on my W900A. I say this as a PC gamer that has a one month old custom $2K rig.

I've been reading so much negativity about this game running like shit with stuttering & multiplayer not working at all. No issues on PS4 - none.

Any sign that Ubisoft is going to give us the option to remove mouse accel and auto aim ? (Yes I have a controller and no I prefer to play third person shooters with M+KB).

Thanks.

Not yet, nothing about the mouse issues and awful aim assist on mouse is listed in their Known issues thread on the Ubi forums. Most people don't even seem to notice the aim assist issue which is crazy to me because it's the biggest thing keeping the mouse feeling weird.

Posting the video again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Bpujvh6t30

R_Deckard

What are your PC specs?

3. No ini or xml tweaks.
4. No SweetFX tweaks.

The thing is this is not true, as the PC version is not superior, the PS4 version is.

My PC version has really, really bad drops to like 1-2fps when it loads new areas, the screen tears ALOT on the PC version and I get no where the constant smooth experience I expect and it does not look any better infact some of the textures in High in pc (only 2Gb Vram) are lower than PS4, the HBAO+ improvements are really minor.

Where as the PS4 version runs much smoother, has pretty much no tearing, looks nicer in places and the difference between 900 and 1080 is not that great at all and by and large is just a much better and more solid experience than PC at this point.

TheD

The Detective

Thanks.

It takes a special kind of stupid to have it like that in the first place.

In regards to if the page file is somehow making the games stutter, I turned the page file off and rebooted, no notable difference.

Not yet, nothing about the mouse issues and awful aim assist on mouse is listed in their Known issues thread on the Ubi forums. Most people don't even seem to notice the aim assist issue which is crazy to me because it's the biggest thing keeping the mouse feeling weird.

Posting the video again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Bpujvh6t30

Thanks. I'll wait for a patch.

It takes a special kind of stupid to have it like that in the first place.

Yep, I don't understand that out of all the people that tested the game before release, nobody bothered to pick up a mouse, tried to shoot at stuff (you know the thing that you do 80% of the time during missions) and said "yeah this sucks".

Anteater

Are there nothing from ubi (or from the creative director that tweeted all those system spec information) about the stuttering?

What are your PC specs?

3. No ini or xml tweaks.
4. No SweetFX tweaks.

Settings: low

Specs:

• CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition (3.20 GHz)
  • GPU: Asus Radeon HD 7850 - 2 GB
  • RAM: G.Skill Kit Extreme3 4 x 2 GB PC12800 NQ
  • Storage: Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series (256 GB)
  • Monitor: 1920 x 1080, 60 Hz

Framerate:

Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
1507, 44078, 27, 42, 34.189

I suppose the fact my framerate isn't locked made me think it ran bad...

TheD

The Detective

Yep, I don't understand that out of all the people that tested the game before release, nobody bothered to pick up a mouse, tried to shoot at stuff (you know the thing that you do 80% of the time during missions) and said "yeah this sucks".

It always seems to me that the biggest devs are the laziest when it comes to making sure their game works/fixing it if it does not.

Played for a while with everything maxed out and textures on medium (2GB 670) and the game was almost completely free of stutter. Holy crap though, some of the textures on the medium setting are probably the worst I've seen in a modern game.

Reishiki

Banned
The only issue I have remaining is the CTDs when running the game in online mode, always with Disrupt_b64.dll.

I'm fine offline, runs great with no problems.

SoundLad

Caved in and bought!

After fiddling with some settings, appears to be running pretty good on my rig
i7 3770
GTX 680 2Gb
8Gb RAM
WD Black 7200 rpm 1TB hard drive

Running high textures and high shadows and HBAO+ Low and temporal SMAA and rest set to max.
The biggest improvement for me was to disable the 1/2 sync frame and enable adaptive vsync using nvidia driver program settings. Setting the sync frames to 1 or 2 would cause massive stuttering and disabling it has made the experience a lot better. In fact, I'm quite pleased with the performance so far - the game looks utterly gorgeous too.

Haven't been able to monitor the exact frame rate but it seems to vary from 45-60 by just looking at it. Will test further after work.

The thing is this is not true, as the PC version is not superior, the PS4 version is.

My PC version has really, really bad drops to like 1-2fps when it loads new areas, the screen tears ALOT on the PC version and I get no where the constant smooth experience I expect and it does not look any better infact some of the textures in High in pc (only 2Gb Vram) are lower than PS4, the HBAO+ improvements are really minor.

Where as the PS4 version runs much smoother, has pretty much no tearing, looks nicer in places and the difference between 900 and 1080 is not that great at all and by and large is just a much better and more solid experience than PC at this point.

From what I've seen from the PS4 version it's very jaggy and blurry. Also has tearing and frame drops.

I don't have stuttering and great IQ, so I can't agree with your statements.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

What if you used similar settings on the PC version to mimic the PS4 version and ran it at the same resolution at the PS4 version. Is it smooth. Do you still get stutters?

I see I am not the only one wishing they went with the PS4 version over PC...I might have to start getting Ubisoft games on console, which really sucks.

Hip Hop

Using GTX 670 2gb with an i5 3570k, 8gb of RAM.

Textures are set to High and AA set to FXAA.

Everything else is maxed out. The game runs wonderfully perfect at 30 fps Vync via in game. Frames never drop (outside of the stuttering).

When the world is perfectly loaded up, it plays amazingly. I do hope they do something about that stuttering though.

OrangeOak

Personally I am really happy how this game works on my system.
I have overclocked GTX 770 2GB,3570k @ 4.2GHz and 8GB or RAM
I play it in Ultra settings (only textures at High) at 2048x1152 with SMAA temporal and locked 30fps.
It almost never drops below 30.
Only one negative is stuttering but it occurs rarely and almost only during fast car travels.

zmihaie

Banned
I do not know if this is the right place to post this

anyways, nVidia replied to the original Forbes article: The Truth About GameWorks, AMD Optimization, and 'Watch Dogs'

I'm inclined not to believe them, it would not be the 1st time nVidia uses half truths and shades of gray to mask their real business behind the closed doors
for me, it started when they bought 3DFx and lied with a straight face to every Voodoo card owner at that time

xXBaconXx

Banned

I highly doubt that there will ever be a patch. Almost every single Ubisoft game that has come out in recent years (All AC games, Far Cry 3, Blacklist, etc.) had a ton of negative mouse acceleration, and it didn't get fixed for any of them.

Heck, even Far Cry 3, which specifically had an option to disable mouse acceleration, had it. It was pretty ridiculous.

SaberEdge

I get a solid 30fps on my PC with ultra settings at 2048 x 1152 resolution with 2x TXAA. It definitely looks a lot better than the PS4 version. The anti-aliasing in particular makes a big difference in this game since there is a lot of shader aliasing and general crawling/flickering jaggies due to the complex geometry and use of shaders in the game.

I've pored over a lot of screenshots and comparisons and I have never seen an instance of the PS4's textures looking anything but like the "high" PC textures. And that still leaves the ultra textures that are available on PC, if not today then with your next upgrade. Look at the difference between ultra textures on PC and PS4 textures:
PC: http://www.hardcoregamer.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/WDImage7-PC.jpg
PS4: http://www.hardcoregamer.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/WDImage7-PS4.jpg

HBAO+ is a lot more accurate and provides noticeably better-looking shading to a game environment than standard SSAO. It makes a difference to my eyes.

The difference in clarity and detail between 900p and 2048 x 1152 is very significant. People made a big deal about the Xbox One version being 792p, but that is much closer to 900p than 900p is to the resolution I'm running it at. Not to mention that the PC version can be enjoyed at much higher resolutions (like 4k) with a future upgrade.

As for those saying there is no screen tearing in the PS4 version, well you might not notice it but it does happen occasionally. Here is what Digital Foundry said about it:

"When render time runs over budget, an adaptive v-sync kicks in when the game can no longer sustain 30fps, resulting in the manifestation of screen-tear until overall engine load has stabilised. Therein lies the principal difference between the Xbox One and PS4 versions of the game - the Microsoft console runs over budget more often, especially in driving sections, meaning more tearing. Noticeable, but not especially annoying on PS4, the Xbox One version is somewhat more intrusive in this regard"
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-watch-dogs-performance-analysis

You can see an obvious example of tearing at the 5:10 minute mark in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wpVKDg64Po#t=312

If you are getting screen tearing in the PC version it is because you aren't using vsync, it's as simple as that. I use vsync and get zero tearing.

I'm not saying the PS4 version is bad, though. It looks really great from what I have seen of it.

SaberEdge

Is there any tweak to turn of the flashing bridges when you get close to them? It's incredibly annoying.

I asked this earlier but haven't got a response. I find the highlighted objects to be quite annoying in any game. It hurts immersion for me. I mean, obviously the hud in general hurts immersion somewhat, but big highlights around cars, trains and bridges pushes it a little too far for me. So has anybody found a way to disable the highlighting of objects? I've tried a few tweaks to the xml file but so far no luck.

Smokey

Will any of these settings get rid of the highlighting of hackable objects? I don't need that, since I generally already know which objects can be hacked and I would be fine with just the button icon (I don't need the whole damn L-train to be highlighted every time it goes by, for example). This hurts immersion for me.

So, any way to do that? Is it the "UseRoadSignHilight" option?

The hackable objects still appeared to me with these settings.

b0bbyJ03

The opposite is true for me. 1/2 refresh rate introduces even more stutter than just using the regular in-game vsync. The only solution was to go with the regular nvidia vsync and then use the framerate limiter in Inspector (I couldn't get MSI afterburner to work with this game for some reason). I'm on SLI if that makes a difference.

On that note, how do you get afterburner working with this game? I can't even get the OSD to work. What settings do I need to use?

How much did this reduce your hitching? I would only play at 30 fps if it was absolutely hitch free otherwise I'll stick to the medium textures and zero hitching at 60fps

Robert7lee

Neo Member
I've only played about an hour so far, but the game runs silky smooth so far on Ultra settings, except I have Vsync off since I'm running borderless.

Windows 8.1
Processor:
Intel i7 4770k @ 3.5 GHz
Memory:
8 GB 2133 DDR3
Graphics:
Gigabye Radeon R9 290 4GB GDDR5
Hard Drive:
Samsung SSD 840 Pro
Resolution:
2560 x 1440

Man I'm jealous, and I'm trying to play with a titan.

Tried ultra and high textures - medium to high settings in graphics setting with ao, AA and dof off still get huge frame rate drops from driving fast or in built up areas. Seen drops to 40fps.

Btw what's your definition of silky smooth?

JB1981

Anybody playing on a GTX 660? I have an X51 GTX 660, i7 and 8gb ram. Think the GPU has only 1.5 gb ram. Should run at 1080p30 on high yea?

elektrixx

Banned
Is triple buffering the same as the max buffered frames in game?

I haven't tested properly, but I no longer have hitches when I drive fast in the city after enabling triple buffering.

Also I still had tearing with triple buffering on and VSync off.

If I've set the frame rate to 30, is there any benefit in setting VSync to 2?

GHG

How much did this reduce your hitching? I would only play at 30 fps if it was absolutely hitch free otherwise I'll stick to the medium textures and zero hitching at 60fps

Quite a bit. The reason for this is most of the hitches I experienced before would be sudden drops in FPS from 50-55 down to 40fps. So capping it at 30 basically gets rid of those framerate spikes. The game very rarely hitches at all now.

It all depends on your original framerate relative to what you are going to be locking the game to. It also largely depends on how severe your hitching is originally. If your hitches take your fps down below the 30fps mark then locking it to 30 probably wont do much to help you.

Whats with people playing this at 2048x1152?

Slight downsampling for increased IQ with very minimal hit on framerate. I do it on all games that I can't downsample from higher resolutions.

R_Deckard

From what I've seen from the PS4 version it's very jaggy and blurry. Also has tearing and frame drops.

I don't have stuttering and great IQ, so I can't agree with your statements.

yeah its not, the PC version not far off at all unless you run MSAA and this takes huge hit

What if you used similar settings on the PC version to mimic the PS4 version and ran it at the same resolution at the PS4 version. Is it smooth. Do you still get stutters?
I have dropped to High and it does have worse textures than PS4 in high, Aiden's coat, the signs anything close by is lower, I posted a Comp of it earlier

I get a solid 30fps on my PC with ultra settings at 2048 x 1152 resolution with 2x TXAA. It definitely looks a lot better than the PS4 version. The anti-aliasing in particular makes a big difference in this game since there is a lot of shader aliasing and general crawling/flickering jaggies due to the complex geometry and use of shaders in the game.

I've pored over a lot of screenshots and comparisons and I have never seen an instance of the PS4's textures looking anything but like the "high" PC textures. And that still leaves the ultra textures that are available on PC, if not today then with your next upgrade. Look at the difference between ultra textures on PC and PS4 textures:
PC: http://www.hardcoregamer.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/WDImage7-PC.jpg
PS4: http://www.hardcoregamer.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/WDImage7-PS4.jpg

HBAO+ is a lot more accurate and provides noticeably better-looking shading to a game environment than standard SSAO. It makes a difference to my eyes.

The difference in clarity and detail between 900p and 2048 x 1152 is very significant. People made a big deal about the Xbox One version being 792p, but that is much closer to 900p than 900p is to the resolution I'm running it at. Not to mention that the PC version can be enjoyed at much higher resolutions (like 4k) with a future upgrade.

As for those saying there is no screen tearing in the PS4 version, well you might not notice it but it does happen occasionally. Here is what Digital Foundry said about it:

"When render time runs over budget, an adaptive v-sync kicks in when the game can no longer sustain 30fps, resulting in the manifestation of screen-tear until overall engine load has stabilised. Therein lies the principal difference between the Xbox One and PS4 versions of the game - the Microsoft console runs over budget more often, especially in driving sections, meaning more tearing. Noticeable, but not especially annoying on PS4, the Xbox One version is somewhat more intrusive in this regard"
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-watch-dogs-performance-analysis

You can see an obvious example of tearing at the 5:10 minute mark in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wpVKDg64Po#t=312

If you are getting screen tearing in the PC version it is because you aren't using vsync, it's as simple as that. I use vsync and get zero tearing.

I'm not saying the PS4 version is bad, though. It looks really great from what I have seen of it.

I never said the PS4 does no have tearing it has less and the stutters and drops I get on PC I just do not get on PS4, also had huge lighting issues with my radeon card at night, creating a multi coloured light bloom that goes all over the screen and it can stay on for ages, It just again shows the simplicity of disc in, pad up, game on of consoles and this is a shining examples of fixed hardware benefits if ever.

Top Bottom