• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs reviews

I guess the verdict is good not great, which seems like most expected. By now we are well aware of the outlets that are just part of the hype machine (IGN,, etc..) and those which are more concerned about assessing the game's merit (eurogamer, GB....).

Although Eurogamer gave it a 7, Eurogamer Italy gave it a 9....

Reviews are overall better than I though they would be ... they actually are lower than I thought they'd be from IGN and company.

King_Moc

Banned
7 is too high for that game. Seriously. The game is generic in every way(Story,shooting etc) and only has one cool feature (hacking) that gets old fast enough (press x to hack, press x to hack).

A few people got new phones and now the game gets good scores.

I'm 4 hours in and am yet to fire a gun.

Nice try though.

TheCloser

Banned
The game is awesome man, much better than 90% of the shit out on ps4/xb1 right now
Not really an accomplishment when most of the games out right now are shooters or sports games. Games not in that category have been weak efforts like knack, random indie games, outlast, zoo tycoon, killer instinct, injustice etc. The only game that challenges it and probably surpasses it is Wolfenstien.

Lime

Dumb, immature, superficially violent AAA game gets 7s, 8s, and 9's.

And so the world and the games industry & culture keep on turning.

Just what I expected. A game that doesn't set itself apart enough to be something special like GTA. Dang I was in line with my friend as he got this and told him I'd watch the reviews and maybe cop it later but I guess my next PS4 game will just end up being TLOU.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I cancelled my pre-order for Watch Dogs as although I initially would of paid 49.99$, Ubisoft games usually lower in price following 3 months after its initial launch and honestly, with Mario Kart 8 coming and my backlog, I can wait.

Furthermore, Eurogamer's score kinda sealed the deal for me. I hope those who pre-ordered it will enjoy their game though!

Will pick it up once it hits 29.99$ or lower.

Krabboss

Low 80s was my prediction for the metacritic score, though I think that's too high.

It's one of those cases where it's a perfectly competent game, but it's a game we've seen so many times before.

Not really an accomplishment when most of the games out right now are shooters or sports games. Games not in that category have been weak efforts like knack, random indie games, outlast, zoo tycoon, killer instinct, injustice etc. The only game that challenges it and probably surpasses it is Wolfenstien.

Killer Instinct was bad?

spekkeh

Banned
It seems you listed ones which assessed the game's merit as ones which agree with your preconceived notion of the game's quality. How do you determine which ones are part of the hype machine?
Surely you're just a junior member, and not a junior person. It is well known that Eurogamer (together with Edge, Metro, maybe RPS) is one of the few credible sources, and GB also has a good reputation here (though I'm less sure why).

8bit

Knows the Score
So I ran a 60-second test while driving and the frame time was all over the place, reaching as high as 629ms. Even though it averages more than 50fps it's still practically unplayable.

untitled3ejcm.png

What does this even mean?

JLeack

Banned
To people who played the game, is Eurogamer's review true? Or are they just trying to make it look bad? I was gonna buy it but after this, i dunno...

"Hacking is just pressing buttons."

Well, uh, this is a game that you play with a controller or keyboard. You input commands with buttons. So, uh, you kinda need to press buttons to do anything in any game.

I respect others' opinions, but that comment is just ludicrous. They'd have been better off just saying they found hacking repetitive.

Lycanthrope

How is it most honest? What does that mean?

It means that it illustrates a true, unbiased reflection of the state of the game.

The reviewer details his critique as opposed to throwing about silly fluff words like "rich" and "dense" and filling it with verbosity that fills a word count without actually saying much.

So far Watch Dogs seems to be little more than "hold Q to hack the world" with a shallow protagonist and an empty story with a bucket-load of side-quests that, after the first handful, you'll have done to the point of tedium.

That is what I mean by "honest."

spekkeh

Banned

Well, uh, this is a game that you play with a controller or keyboard. You input commands with buttons. So, uh, you kinda need to press buttons to do anything in any game.

I respect others' opinions, but that comment is just ludicrous. They'd have been better off just saying they found hacking repetitive.
That's... Missing the point.

JLeack

Banned
The game is awesome man, much better than 90% of the shit out on ps4/xb1 right now

Watch Dogs is my favorite game of 2014 so far. I know that isn't saying a lot, but I really enjoyed Titanfall, Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls, and Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (PS4).

Seanspeed

Banned
It means that it illustrates a true, unbiased reflection of the state of the game.

The reviewer details his critique as opposed to throwing about silly fluff words like "rich" and "dense" and filling it with verbosity that fills a word count without actually saying much.

So far Watch Dogs seems to be little more than "hold Q to hack the world" with a shallow protagonist and an empty story with a bucket-load of side-quests that, after the first handful, you'll have done to the point of tedium.

That is what I mean by "honest."
So everybody else is biased and isnt giving a 'true' reflection of the game?

I suppose the worse a review is, the more 'honest' it is?

lol

They mean hacking is just pressing one button. And yes its true. You press one button to hack. Sometimes you even have to hold one button (Story Spoiler:
Because one of the bad guys has a heart pacemaker so you have to hold the button so he dies dramatically
) to make it extra dramatic.

ACIV was better than Infamous too, so probably.

Yeah. I would expect it to be better. Infamous is, although i enjoyed the games, no blockbuster franchise. They are good games to pass some time if nothing else is around.

WD, though Ubisofts first attempts on a new IP aren´t always smooth, should do better. Waiting for my copy though. Hope the mailman hurries

JLeack

Banned
They mean hacking is just pressing one button. And yes its true. You press one button to hack. Sometimes you even have to hold one button (Story Spoiler:
Because one of the bad guys has a heart pacemaker so you have to hold the button so he dies dramatically

I suppose they could have woven in some QTEs. I know gamers loves those.

/s

King_Moc

Banned

You have to hold the button for all hacking.

You sound so incredibly well informed.

GHG

So I ran a 60-second test while driving and the frame time was all over the place, reaching as high as 629ms. Even though it averages more than 50fps it's still practically unplayable.

untitled3ejcm.png

It would help if you gave us sone context around this... Such as your specs and what settings you're trying to run the game at.

Zeliard

I haven't put a great deal of time into the game yet, but Eurogamer's assessment seems quite apt (a review which, it should be said, is actually more positive than people seem to think):

Eurogamer said:
Instead, Watch Dogs is an often gorgeous, solidly satisfying and efficiently structured run through familiar gameplay motifs: part open-world sandbox, part third-person shooter, part stealth game.

Eurogamer said:
So many of Watch Dogs' ideas have been proven in other games, so it makes sense to use them again, but it does mean that the game never really nails its own identity. It's reliably good yet rarely great; entertaining without being inspired.

Eurogamer said:
It's good, and yet that always feels like a criticism when a game comes weighed down by this much hype. You won't regret the time you spend in Aiden Pearce's world, but nor will it be saved as a precious memory when you reboot.

It's not going to revolutionize the genre, but it's a solid mix of borrowed gameplay styles and something most who enjoy this sort of open-world game would probably find some fun with. Measured expectations are the key.

If you don't like the genre, however, chances are it won't convert you.

Gaz_RB

What would you suggest that would improve the hacking mechanic? I've been trying to think of a better way to do that impromptu hacking in the game, but I haven't really come up with one.

Top Bottom