• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs reviews

Chabbles

Downloading now. Still have a couple chapters left in Wolfenstein left before i jump in though.

So the people who've spent some time in this game. How alive/vibrant and interesting is the world in watchdogs compared to the awesomeness of GTAV ?

stevil

Downloading now. Still have a couple chapters left in Wolfenstein left before i jump in though.

So the people who've spent some time in this game. How alive/vibrant and interesting is the world in watchdogs compared to the awesomeness of GTAV ?

To me it seems more vibrant, it is less gray/flat for sure. Also less fun as in serious.

Chabbles

To me it seems more vibrant, it is less gray/flat for sure. Also less fun as in serious.

Nice. The less fun part sounds about right from what i've seen.
Although i didnt find GTAV to feel gray/flat at all. i thought it was very colorful. Going off screenshots and internet footage, i would of thought WD's would be considered grey/flat next to GTAV.. but again, thats purely from stuff i've seen on the net.

DrXym

The reviews make it sound polished but still flawed. Reminds me of Assassin's Creed not living up to the hype and requiring a sequel to get things (more or less) right.

Eusis

insta-fail stealth missions and reloading before cutscenes

truly the new ass creed
They should probably spend more time with their "homogenization" looking for things that piss everyone off rather than implementing fucking crafting systems.

Although you can skip cutscenes, right? I guess there's the angle of someone screwing up and missing it, going "fuck", and hitting retry immediately.

mclem

Couldn't care less about the review scores, but this is troubling:

It's not the most original set-up, but it is one that offers some potentially chewy moral quandaries. Sadly, the limp script avoids every single one of them. Aiden begins the game as an irritating cypher - a growling, vengeance-fuelled thug - but, a few lines of incidental dialogue aside, he is never made to accept his own role in the tragedies that befall everyone around him. He steals, assaults, extorts and murders in order to exact justice for identical indignities inflicted on himself. The hypocrisy goes unchallenged.

Unappealing protagonists are the worst...

That sounds a lot like the issues I had with Connor from AC3. I was hoping this'd be smarter given the subject matter.

mclem

BooOr_GIEAApSnT.jpg:large

No "How Daddy Is Doing"? Fail.

Fbh

The GT review actually made the game look fun. Seem like your average Ubisoft game, cool open world, some fun sidestuff to do, gameplay mechanics that are hit and miss and a forgettable story that tries too hard to be all deep and serious.

I guess I'll still go for Mario Kart this week. It comes with another game, plus Nintendo games tend to take forever to get cheaper

The only review that had me concerned was the Giant Bomb 3/5 but, after seeing that it was Jeff who reviewed it, my worries subsided. I find his taste in pretty much everything questionable to horrendous.

Scrawnton

The only review that had me concerned was the Giant Bomb 3/5 but, after seeing that it was Jeff who reviewed it, my worries subsided. I find his taste in pretty much everything questionable to horrendous.

I really like Jeff and his opinions in games, but he is a diehard old school games fan and I feel he shouldn't review modern games anymore. That being said, he still is great at knowing fun gameplay.

I think year after year of Assassin's Creed just broke games like Watch Dogs for me. The first half hour had me bored to tears. I honestly don't know if I will bother to see beyond that.

What a waste.

I really like Jeff and his opinions in games, but he is a diehard old school games fan and I feel he shouldn't review modern games anymore. That being said, he still is great at knowing fun gameplay.

Good to know neither of you read his review.

Lingitiz

I think year after year of Assassin's Creed just broke games like Watch Dogs for me. The first half hour had me bored to tears. I honestly don't know if I will bother to see beyond that.

What a waste.

Well it's your money. Personally if I just dropped $60 on it I would at least give it longer than that.

Good to know neither of you read his review.

How does this change my opinion of his taste?

I'm not saying that his review is not well written or insightful (I'm sure it is) - just that I tend to ignore Gerstmann reviews most of the time. That's my prerogative since I don’t get his outlook on many things. The same goes for real life recommendations from friends, family and co-workers whose taste doesn't jive with mine.

I like Jeff and have been an avid Bombcast listener for years. Sorry if my method of review filtering offends you.

QaaQer

What a waste.

haha, I'm gonna grind another ten or so hours. But yeah, the last few hours of ACIV reallly hurt to 'play'.

aravuus

Why do you guys make gaming such hard work?

Would I be better off flushing £44.99 down the toilet?

According to the reviews so far, no, I wouldnt be better off throwing £44.99 down the toilet.

Is this game the second coming of RE4?

No, it is not as good as the greatest game ever made, but then nothing else is either.

Is it better than watching soaps for the 20 odd hours it takes to finish it.

Yes, but so is pouring sulfuric acid down your piss hole.

Would you rather play watch dogs or pour sulfuric acid down your piss hole?
A- No.
B- Yes.

If you answered A, go and pour some sulfuric acid down your piss hole.
If you answered B, purchase validated.

Is pretty much my thought process when deciding to buy a game or not.

What an absolutely fantastic post lmao

Love the yes/no question especially

Eusis

If I based all my purchases off of metacritic then I'm a fool and slap me and call me stupid. Especially if I don't buy a game because it scores in the low 80s. It's really become out of hand how many people I've read that say they are not buying the game because it's scoring too low. I just looked at the average score for a just a couple of my favorite games this past gen and my jaw is still recovering from carpet burns.

• Dragon's Dogma = 75
  • Alan Wake = 83
  • Alpha Protocol = 63 (for shame)

This point has been made a million times so I won't beat a dead horse too much. People, metacritic is not your friend! Think of them this way....You and your friend go to brand new Thai Food restaurant in your neighborhood. Your friend orders your favorite type of food, but instead of you eating it HE eats it's all! Then proceeds to tell you it sucks and you decided not to eat any. The both of you go home and one of you looks like a idiot, because a week later you decide to give a try and find out it's the most amazing Drunken Noodle you've ever had!
Well, I do think it's not unreasonable to be very weary of any game that was in the 60s and under, but yeah it'd really suck if I slavishly followed Metacritic and was stupid enough to blow off low 80s entirely. Lots of fantastic games are in low 80s, far too many to make that even remotely practical to follow. Not unless I really did love every game that'd get 90s and high 80s, but that's not the case!

DrXym

Well, I do think it's not unreasonable to be very weary of any game that was in the 60s and under, but yeah it'd really suck if I slavishly followed Metacritic and was stupid enough to blow off low 80s entirely.

It's reasonable to use aggregation sites like metacritic for judging games as long as you wait for the embargo to pass so the aggregate score is reasonable. If a game really is THAT GOOD, then the scores will confirm it. Otherwise it's just hype. If people relied on reviews instead hype then perhaps we wouldn't be subjected to a torrent of bullshit in the first place.

Coxy

Well, I do think it's not unreasonable to be very weary of any game that was in the 60s and under, but yeah it'd really suck if I slavishly followed Metacritic and was stupid enough to blow off low 80s entirely. Lots of fantastic games are in low 80s, far too many to make that even remotely practical to follow. Not unless I really did love every game that'd get 90s and high 80s, but that's not the case!

there are plenty of utterly fantastic games with under 60 on metacritic, games that are the game of the generation for some people

If I based all my purchases off of metacritic then I'm a fool and slap me and call me stupid. Especially if I don't buy a game because it scores in the low 80s. It's really become out of hand how many people I've read that say they are not buying the game because it's scoring too low. I just looked at the average score for a just a couple of my favorite games this past gen and my jaw is still recovering from carpet burns.

• [*]Dragon's Dogma = 75
  • Alan Wake = 83

This point has been made a million times so I won't beat a dead horse too much. People, metacritic is not your friend! Think of them this way....You and your friend go to brand new Thai Food restaurant in your neighborhood. Your friend orders your favorite type of food, but instead of you eating it HE eats it's all! Then proceeds to tell you it sucks and you decided not to eat any. The both of you go home and one of you looks like a idiot, because a week later you decide to give a try and find out it's the most amazing Drunken Noodle you've ever had!

Holy shit, one my favourite games of the generation got 75. Haha even more reason to disregard it.

SaberEdge

Holy shit, one my favourite games of the generation got 75. Haha even more reason to disregard it.

If I took the opinions of critics and reviewers as the gospel truth I would have missed out on many games I love. Applied to movies, I would have also come to the conclusion that Chicago is one of the best movies ever made.

I think many people give way too much weight and importance to the opinions of critics.

jimi_dini

It's really become out of hand how many people I've read that say they are not buying the game because it's scoring too low. I just looked at the average score for a just a couple of my favorite games this past gen and my jaw is still recovering from carpet burns.

• Dragon's Dogma = 75
  • Alan Wake = 83

Cv4bhB5.jpg

OrangeOak

• Dragon's Dogma = 75
  • Alan Wake = 83

I agree.
When I was playing mainly on x360 where games were more expensive than on PC I was buying almost always games that are 80+ on metacritic and also not day one.
Now on PC where prices are a lot lower I started buying and playing games without looking on scores and to be honest I often have more fun playing games that are 7 or even 6 on metacritic than some big budget 90+ titles.
It's very often when I can't figure out why some games have so bad scores.
It's of course everyone's own decision how to choose games but yes,metacritic and reviews in general mean very little for me.

Lunar15

This game ended up being exactly what I thought it would after the first trailer.

It's a fun, albeit non-groundbreaking, open world game with a neat hacking mechanic. Really, if you go by the trailers and the initial reveal, it was never purported to be anything other than that.

Where are the last gen reviews? I haven't seen one yet for PS3 or 360 yet.

This is all I can give you so far (repost from a few pages back)

Couple of hours in on the 360 version, my opinions:

- Graphically, it's not GTA V, but i'm impressed what they've managed to cram in and yet maintain a steady framerate. Some periods of severe screen tearing, but almost entirely limited to cutscenes.
- Lack of free roam multiplayer and dashboard cam in the last-gen versions is a tiny niggle, but slightly disappointing
- Story has at least got me interested enough to see what's next, which I can't say for every game
- Cars handle just fine, there's a decent variety to them, although collisions are a bit iffy I feel (I enjoyed Sleeping Dogs and GTA V, for reference)
- Invading other people's games is great
- Overall gameplay is really enjoyable, glad I bought it and looking forward to seeing what else I can do (hacking the first CTos tower without ever setting foot in it was pretty awesome).

Overall first impressions: 8.5/10, could go up or down depending on how it all plays out!

Usgamer got paid, right?

The screenshots in that review are straight from Ubisoft, and before I even could read the review there was an ad for watch dogs at the top,

Edge moneyhatz! I guess Future really are hurting bad.

This is sarcastic, right? Below the average score for the game, and you're still claiming bribery? Have you actually played it/are you capable of accepting other people's opinions even if they're different to your own?

velociraptor

Reviews are very good. I have no idea why you are all complaining. Just because a game isn't rated 90+ does not mean it's a game not worth playing.

I actually prefer this trend of lower review scores. Perhaps it will give more meaning to '80 rated games'. I must admit I had expected the metacritic score to be in the 70s rather than the 80s.

8/10 = good, solid game. Worth playing.

Top Bottom