• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs reviews

I havent been following this game nearly as extensively as some so I was kind of surprised to see so many people pretty much seem to be hoping for nothing but the worst from this game. I guess the biggest surprise comes from the fact its a new IP. What exactly did Ubisoft do to garner so much of this hatred?

I wonder this myself. It's a new IP, it looks good, its getting solid reviews, its not CoD, wtf kiddos? Besides some lighting and cinematic camera angles the ultra PC settings look pretty damn close to the reveal. Gameplay looks identical.

I haven't played it yet though but I'll try and get a ps4 copy tonight.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
so...is this game good or were reviewers paid off?

i honestly can't get a handle of this industry's media any more.

edit: oh "assassins creed" good

Mikey Jr.

82% ehh? Not bad. Seems like a good entry for a new IP.

I kinda treat this game like I treat assassins creed. The first one was shit, but it had a good foundation to work from. Watch dogs 2 is probably going to be great.

Anyways, got this on my ps4 waiting at home.

stevil

I'm like the only one else that likes the driving in this game.

Nope driving is good, distinct differences between cars. love the bridge etc hacking. It also looks very good lots of details the city really feels alive. Story seems good for this type of game, better than second son and not worse than GTA but not as funny. Also like that sub quest are inviting as in I like to try it. So far a pretty good game actually

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Holy shit. are the user reviews on metacritic always this bipolar?

Why is there even a section for this?

If you're going to ask things like "Why does ____ on metacritic exist" you're going to first need to dive into the existential quandary that is "Why is Metacritic"

edit:

So If I dont really enjoy assassins creed and assassins creed quality, I should not get this game?

It's been painfully obvious from the start that this game would be a Ubisoft open world game. If you don't like that formula, it's probably not for you.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
having not played a split-second yet, it is irrefutably obvious from reviews and video that this is a much more complete game than assassin's creed 1...

SaberEdge

Calling it an "empty town" leads me to believe you didn't actually play it. If anything, there's too many people on the streets. I've never gone into any gated community in real life and seen groups of people standing around on corners like I have in this game. There are literally people and cars everywhere. So much so that I wish I could get a break from them.

This is what I thought. The density of pedestrians and traffic is crazy. Anytime someone says the game is lacking in this area I automatically suspect they haven't played the game.

Then again, there has been (and continues to be) a lot of nonsense said about this game. I saw quite a few people claiming the game doesn't have any real time screen space reflections when in fact the game is chock full of them. This game probably has the best reflections and specular maps I have ever seen in a game.

IMACOMPUTA

I'm not sure what its for, but if you press alt+f8 (or maybe just f8?)
The on foot controls turn into top down GTA mode.
Left/right on the joystick turn your guy in circles and up runs forward regardless of the camera orientation.

Why?

Edit: I suppose I should post this in the OT.

Nymphae

Banned
This is what I thought. The density of pedestrians and traffic is crazy. Anytime someone says the game is lacking in this area I automatically suspect they haven't played the game

This makes me want to play this game more than anything. My favourite activity in GTA is getting a beast of a vehicle and just mowing the people off the streets until my vehicle blows up, rinse & repeat until the cops finally get me. I hated having to look for dense areas of civilians in those games, they just don't really exist. There are a couple of walkways in each GTA game that have lots of pedestrians walking and that's usually where I set up shop :p

meanspartan

Ah fuck. I have money for either Wolfenstein or Watch Dogs but not both. I was kinda hoping Watch Dogs would score really high or really low to make my decision for me. Now I got two games in about the same score range and dont know what to do.

This makes me want to play this game more than anything. My favourite activity in GTA is getting a beast of a vehicle and just mowing the people off the streets until my vehicle blows up, rinse & repeat until the cops finally get me. I hated having to look for dense areas of civilians in those games, they just don't really exist. There are a couple of walkways in each GTA game that have lots of pedestrians walking and that's usually where I set up shop :p
This sounds like a sociopathic, pathological way of playing GTA.

Depends, which Assassin's Creed you played. Quality is even beter that iv. But game play is different, more GTA like but different setting and hacking etc
I enjoyed assassins creed 2 and black flag.

edit:

It's been painfully obvious from the start that this game would be a Ubisoft open world game. If you don't like that formula, it's probably not for you.
Yeah I know but I need some ps4 games and my friend really wants me to get it to play online with him.

stevil

Ah fuck. I have money for either Wolfenstein or Watch Dogs but not both. I was kinda hoping Watch Dogs would score really high or really low to make my decision for me. Now I got two games in about the same score range and dont know what to do.

Reception was a bit worse for Wolfenstein and I think the audience is a bit smaller so I suspect it will come down in price sooner that watch dogs

SaberEdge

I wonder this myself. It's a new IP, it looks good, its getting solid reviews, its not CoD, wtf kiddos? Besides some lighting and cinematic camera angles the ultra PC settings look pretty damn close to the reveal. Gameplay looks identical.

I haven't played it yet though but I'll try and get a ps4 copy tonight.

I'm honestly totally baffled by the attitudes of some gamers with regard to this game.

And I agree with you about the visuals. I'm playing on PC maxed out (pure ultra) and it looks astoundingly good. This is now my go-to game for eye candy and just pure atmosphere. I like to walk around the city and listen to conversations, watch people and take in the sights.

Beant

I had a similar dilemma and i ended up getting wolf from redbox and bingeing on it in ~30 hours. 2 dollars for a great game!

The reviews definitely seem good enough to that point that I think I'll really enjoy myself with it.

Good to know that my preorder is justified. :)

Toth

Very creepy post there....

Kssio_Aug

Nope driving is good, distinct differences between cars. love the bridge etc hacking. It also looks very good lots of details the city really feels alive. Story seems good for this type of game, better than second son and not worse than GTA but not as funny. Also like that sub quest are inviting as in I like to try it. So far a pretty good game actually

Better then Second Son in which extent?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
This sounds like a sociopathic, pathological way of playing GTA.

Sounds like GTA the way god (or at least DMA Designs) meant it to be played.

I enjoyed assassins creed 2 and black flag.

Yeah I know but I need some ps4 games and my friend really wants me to get it to play online with him.

If you've liked their later entries and would like their take on a pretty bland "near future" setting, go for it. I don't think Ubisoft open world games are bad, they're generally well made. I'm just bored to death of them and this one doesn't have the bonus of a unique setting like the best Assassin's Creed games do. If they'd done more, or more interesting, with their future tech I might have been more excited about it.

You should get that checked out man.

Chitown B

Don't judge lol, I know I can't be the only one who does super over the top stuff in GTA. It's not like I'm sitting there jerking off to it, I'm fucking around in an open world criminal simulator.

Saint's Row seems more like a fuck off game than GTA these days.

fedexpeon

Banned
Depends on what you mean by good.

It's assassin's creed quality.

So I guess I will wait 2 months for that $20 drop.
I still have no idea why I have every main AC games even though I hate them =(.
Exception is AC4 due to the setting of the bright color of the sea and sky, and playing as a pirate is fun.

ryuken-d

I wouldn't say worst, he is a great writer and he makes solid points whether I agree with him or not.

But when it comes to the scores under the text, ya, he is fickle as fuck.

the worst was those bs reviews from the destructoid days just to get people pissed and clicks on the site. it worked but at what cost!!!!!! hahaha

Gestault

At least it has futuristic computer monitors:

i8O5BKCuA5EVi.gif

sunnz

Don't expect the same satisfaction as you would get in gta iv or V though.

Sure this game does have more pedestrians but since the physics are so bad, when you hit pedestrians it feels like there is no real impact, like when you touch them they just "turn off" and they kinda float to a random location, instead of reacting to getting hit by a car, like they do in GTA. Its like saints row, but less over the top ( don't go flying into the air)

Makes it a lot less satisfying.

stevil

Better then Second Son in which extent?

To me the story of SS was not very interesting after the first minutes it was already clear what would happen. Totally unfunny dialogs and the characters where even more empty than the city. So there was not much to like story wise. Now I played only 2 hours of watch dogs but I already met more interesting characters and the story is still kind of of intriguing. Afc my opinion can change as I didn't play for long

Dr. Kaos

Banned
They should just do away with the user reviews on metacritic, it's 90% fanboys and trolls anyway. Completely worthless.

Yeah, lots of fanboys and trolls there, for sure. You can't rate a game 0 or 2/10 if it's not insanely broken and terrible!

With that said, the actual average user score there is exactly the same that Jeff Gerstmanngave the game so it is technically as useful as a Giant Bomb review :)

I'm not sure what to do with that :)

In my experience, MC user reviews shine after there are several hundreds of them. They can help point out a few critically panned gems months after the fact and be wary of some critically lauded games that don't quite deserve it.

I love how quite a few people say it's a good game but are ignored for the most part, but someone coming in and saying it's 'assassins creed quality' gets held up.

NeoGAF is objective arguments drowned with the kittens.

Hagen

Hi there.

Just wondering if anybody knows a reliable source or can confirm all the available sub's and dub's in the PS 4 UK-Pegi Version (not mistake with the AT-Pegi Version which might be different).

Many thanks in advance EU-GAF.

Nymphae

Banned
Don't expect the same satisfaction as you would get in gta iv or V though.

Sure this game does have more pedestrians but since the physics are so bad, when you hit pedestrians it feels like there is no real impact, like when you touch them they just "turn off" and they kinda float to a random location, instead of reacting to getting hit by a car, like they do in GTA. Its like saints row, but less over the top ( don't go flying into the air)

Makes it a lot less satisfying.

Bummer, I felt the same way about the Saints Row game engines. Fun as hell, but GTA will always be my road rage simulator.

Top Bottom