• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs reviews

LiamR

I put absolutely no faith in Metacritic and sincerely wonder why anyone else would. I'd rather pick and choose the reviews from the OP if I'm giving any weight to critical consensus to begin with.

I must admit that the Polygon review turned me off, though I was not completely enthralled with what I was seeing to begin with.

The gender and racial stereotypes really bother me as we really need to start breaking away from this in the industry, and the lack of any interesting characters and story also have me deciding to wait until the WiiU version,
so likely indefinitely

Obscured

How faithful is Chicago in the game? Stupid reason to be interested, but I am visiting Chicago right now for the first time and it is actually hyping me for the game. Is it a fictional take on Chicago and how big of an area?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I must admit that the Polygon review turned me off, though I was not completely enthralled with what I was seeing to begin with.

The gender and racial stereotypes really bother me as we really need to start breaking away from this in the industry, and the lack of any interesting characters and story also have me deciding to wait until the WiiU version,
so likely indefinitely
Hmm, care to elaborate on the stereotypes? I've completely missed them.

slapnuts

Why does the OP only have the PS4 metacritic listed? Where is PC or XBO? Both the 360 and the PS3 didn't have review code sent out it would seem.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/watch-dogs - 81%

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/watch-dogs - 77%

They have 6 and 8 reviews, respectively.

The Metacritic score is nonsense with so few ratings.

This is the same reason why i posted the PS4 top 12 or so Metacritic game scores as well in a earlier post in this thread. The PS4 platform has more recent reviews than other platforms, which obviously gives you a better "average".

slapnuts

How faithful is Chicago in the game? Stupid reason to be interested, but I am visiting Chicago right now for the first time and it is actually hyping me for the game. Is it a fictional take on Chicago and how big of an area?

Its largely fictional for the most part..outside of the main skyscrapers and a few other area's its not as close as say even Infamous SS.

By the way, i use to live near downtown chicago but now live out in the greater suburbs of Chicago.

Yagharek

I always have hesitation with Metacritic. AC3 has an 85 for Christ's sake.

Skyrim and GTA IV is proof enough metacritic should be taken with a truck full of salt.

Enjoy a game based on your own experience; not an aggregate of other peoples' reviews.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Readingaid

Neo Member
Been playing this for hours last night.

Wow what a game, yes visually it's not up there with Infamous and the other exclusives but boy does it make up for it with gameplay.

This game is fun, there is never a dull moment, seriously it's so packed with things to do and most importantly the things you do are not worthless and the rewards are not simply XP or some extra health or boost items. If you go off the beaten path you get chunky rare guns or a super car that you wouldn't normally find In the city. The side missions are genuinely difficult, trying to infiltrate a gang hideout isn't a case of simply shooting everyone it's very very hard and you have to plan your every move one step ahead

I really didn't expect the gameplay to be so solid in terms of thinking about what you have to do way ahead.

The visuals are nice but not next gen, the gameplay, the city and always feeling connected to other players is stunning and certainly next gen so far I'd give this a 9/10

stevil

Been playing this for hours last night.

Wow what a game, yes visually it's not up there with Infamous and the other exclusives but boy does it make up for it with gameplay.

To be fair the game has much more detail and cars pedestrians etc than second son

Certinty

Anyone having a weird time with the profiler? I mean it's a bit weird when I find some chavvy girl hanging around with a group of gangsters all earning under $30k, and then she's there as an engineer earning $90k...

nsignific

Banned
I'm just hearing bad and good, no comparison. driving is the most important thing for me in a game like this.

People will have differing opinions on this but I see GTA IV as the pinnacle for the genre, here's why;

I agree, while I thought GTA 5 was the better game, I enjoyed GTA 4 driving a lot more. The only real criticism I heard is that it's "too hard" which is not valid, in my opinion.

mclem

Usgamer got paid, right?

The screenshots in that review are straight from Ubisoft, and before I even could read the review there was an ad for watch dogs at the top,

Well, they're from the same stable as Eurogamer, who did one of the more critical reviews; it'd be odd for Ubisoft to pay for a review score from one (smaller) establishment yet not the larger, more influential one. I think it just might happen that Rignall really liked it in ways that Whitehead did not, and vice-versa.

impact

Banned
I haven't looked in awhile but it's probably the best game on PS4.

I'm only sort of serious

It's among the worst PS4 games I've played along with Contrast and Mercenary Kings.

Best is probably a tossup between Resogun and MGS5 GZ. Infamous ain't bad and I'm sure AC4/Watch Dogs are much better than the turd known as Dynasty Warriors.

Dennis

Banned
Here is my review:

Dennis: Graphics is awesome - 10/10

watch_dogs2014-05-272s6jhb.jpg

Bumcleaver

Neo Member
Tin hat on, but I'm enjoying it (a lot) more than Second Son.

At times, Watch Dogs feels like there's a dizzying amount of content to explore and partake in.

Second Son, for all it's beauty, felt 'empty' in that regard.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Dynasty Warriors 8.

What I've been playing for the past week, and nothing else. :D

Got it for $45 and, next to Battlefield 4, it's my most valued purchase for the PS4 thus far. (Bought Killzone, Ghosts, BF4, Infamous, ACIV, PS+ Games, and Knack came with the system)

I wasn't interested in the game at all to begin with; not a fan of generic mainstream games. I got the game for free when I bought my Nvidia card, so I am thinking of selling it if it looks like crap on my new PC. It is only benchmarks worthy lol; unless it is mod-friendly.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Oh my ..

is that a direct in-game capture or was this edited? DoF seems too .. much ( ? )
The depth of field never appears like that in-game while just playing. He is employing a temporary effect for screenshot purposes that activates when you take your phone out. I think it looks quite nice for such shots, also :p

Chitown B

The Millennium Park area is pretty accurate. The Sears [Willis tower] is correct for the most part, and there are a few other areas that are accurate. Otherwise it's a cliffs notes version of the loop, with a few other spots across the river that are made to seem like islands.

If you live here, it's kind of disconcerting. And there are no real neighborhoods on the north side in the game, it seems.

SaberEdge

Its largely fictional for the most part..outside of the main skyscrapers and a few other area's its not as close as say even Infamous SS.

By the way, i use to live near downtown chicago but now live out in the greater suburbs of Chicago.

The Seattle in Infamous SS is not a very realistic rendition of Seattle at all. I used to live in Seattle.

atpbx

I was only trying to get a laugh lol.

In all seriousness however, I do think we take it all a little too seriously these days.

I know games have got a bit more expensive and I know we've all been burned with day one purchases based on dubious reviews, but some of the reactions to reviews or games are more than a little OTT.

For instance this particular game, I've bought it and what I've found to be wrong with it so far isn't reflected in any of the reviews that I've read so far-

The controls are terrible. There is a massive amount of lag when controlling the main character, turning up the aim sensitivity has no effect and he seems to moving in slow motion all the time.
I can't get over the lack of a jump button.
I can't understand why melee is context only.

Now for me, what ever merits the game has I can't enjoy because I am constantly aware that I am struggling with the controls being so slow.

So in my opinion, the game is simply not enjoyable because of the constant irritation of the controls, so until this issue was patched or fixed, I would be rating it as a 5/10 as it's not a particularly pleasant experience to play.

But that's it, its £44.99 I won't get back (I'll get some of it back if I sell it on if the controls are not patched) but I am not disappointed enough to blow my top over it.

GD71

Banned
The controls are terrible. There is a massive amount of lag when controlling the main character, turning up the aim sensitivity has no effect and he seems to moving in slow motion all the time.

Really? What platform? I'm finding on PS4 that there's almost zero dead zone and instant response and am more than happy with the controls and movement with the sensitivity set to 70 in game. I can't see any lag, and I am extremely sensitive to it. I can't replay GTA4 because it bothers me so much for example. And almost anything PS3 was unplayable due to the huge dead zones though I suffered through it for the must play games.

atpbx

Really? What platform? I'm finding on PS4 that there's almost zero dead zone and instant response and am more than happy with the controls and movement with the sensitivity set to 70 in game. I can't see any lag, and I am extremely sensitive to it. I can't replay GTA4 because it bothers me so much for example. And almost anything PS3 was unplayable due to the huge dead zones though I suffered through it for the must play games.

PS4 - it's as bad as Dead Space on PC, really slow acceleration when aiming, the input sensitivity does nothing at all.

Perhaps when I fire it up tonight it might correct itself after the restart as I was playing it after it had just installed.

But for me at the moment it is distracting from everything I do in the game, I'll capture some footage later when I get back from work.

R_Deckard

Oh my ..

is that a direct in-game capture or was this edited? DoF seems too .. much ( ? )

Its in game, he has just initiated a scan and then taken the shot as it amplifies the DoF,Bokeh in the shot at that time, then saturates the image.

For a camera shot with a long lens this would be a great shot, I love it.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Where are the PS3 reviews? Can't decide if I'm going to bite the bullet or just wait till the PS4 price drop.

Chitown B

I can't get over the lack of a jump button.
I can't understand why melee is context only.

I don't find this to be the case. He moves how I'd expect a real person to move. No one goes around jumping all the time - what do you need to jump over? Melee is context only so it doesn't turn into Saint's Row. The game is about hacking, not punching pedestrians.

Top Bottom