• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WB Games now looking to license out IP

I wonder who will get Batman. I can see EA or Ubisoft going after it. Microsoft should try to get it as well
EA would be hilarious with the rights coming back full circle over 2 decades. I think EA could do it Justice. They seem like they’re willing to invest into quality single player.

Ubisoft and Microsoft would be gross. Ubisoft would make some graphically sub standard awful open world generic romp. Microsoft would make some cheap, no production value, game pass fodder. Neither of which are appropriate for a prestige IP like Batman

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
EA would be hilarious with the rights coming back full circle over 2 decades. I think EA could do it Justice. They seem like they’re willing to invest into quality single player.

Ubisoft and Microsoft would be gross. Ubisoft would make some graphically sub standard awful open world generic romp. Microsoft would make some cheap, no production value, game pass fodder. Neither of which are appropriate for a prestige IP like Batman

Respawn or EA Motive Studio would definitely do a solid Batman game.

intbal

I don't think they could afford it, but Don't Nod could make a good Batman game.
They already tried (the combat part, anyway) with Remember Me.

Solarstrike

Middle Earth: Shadow of Angmar when?

lord of the rings film GIF

StueyDuck

Ooooh give FEAR to someone.

Someone talented obviously. (Or just let monolith get off the terrible idea that is wonder woman)

wvnative

I really want to see a modern AAA matrix game. I think Shiny did the best they could on gen 6 platforms, but the tech wasn't quite there yet. With today's tech, you could make something truly incredible with the right team.

No idea who would be best suited today though.

A Game of Thrones title from Naughty Dog would actually be pretty epic. SIE need to get in on this.

Also a Mortal Kombat from Arc System Works would be insane (and feel a lot better to play).

I genuinely don't care about the DC/superhero stuff; there's already a glut of superhero games on the market and Rocksteady can still make a great Batman game.

Outside of Robotron I don't see the value most of Midway's catalog could bring to other big studios or publishers in the market. I think that's something smaller indie studios would be interested in, however. Like a new San Francisco Rush from Raw Thrills or something.

I really want to see a modern AAA matrix game. I think Shiny did the best they could on gen 6 platforms, but the tech wasn't quite there yet. With today's tech, you could make something truly incredible with the right team.

No idea who would be best suited today though.

Maybe a combination of Eidos Montreal (they made the newer Deus Ex games) and Suda 51? Although Suda 51 seem very interested in a new Killer 7, and I'd always personally take something new for an original gaming IP over a licensed game.

Though just also thinking...maybe Kojima Production & Eidos Montreal could team up on a Matrix game? That'd be pretty cool.

Also since a lot of people are talking superhero stuff...personally, I'm a bit burnt out on it. And I don't want to see SIE's pipeline bogged down by superhero games anymore than it already is with Insomniac handling Spiderman and X-Men.

Last edited:

Mownoc

Ubisoft would have been drooling at the prospect of reskinning AC into a LOTR game.

But WB don't have LOTR rights anymore, embracer does?

So batman and harry potter are the only two big IPs I can think of.

Otherwise... AAA openworld Scooby Doo game.

intbal

I'd like to know who owns NOLF IP.
Figuring out those rights seems like a mess, considering it was made my Monolith (now owned by WB, but acquired after NOLF released), and co-published by FOX interactive (now owned by Disney) and Sierra Entertainment (now owned by Microsoft).

Perrott

Question is, what Sony studio should do it? Insomniac is booked into the mid 2030s. Contractually. Naughty dog doesn’t do open world. Everyone else seems booked with projects. I know if any other Sony studio is up to par to handle The Batman.
Once Sucker Punch wraps up the Ghost series with the upcoming Tsushima sequel, have them develop a one-off singleplayer Batman game for PS6.

At least that's what I'd do.

Alpha Male

I know many like me want a new Battle for Middle Earth but they need to do what Star Wars did and authorize a Total War Middle Earth

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
I'd like to know who owns NOLF IP.
Figuring out those rights seems like a mess, considering it was made my Monolith (now owned by WB, but acquired after NOLF released), and co-published by FOX interactive (now owned by Disney) and Sierra Entertainment (now owned by Microsoft).

Nightdive been trying to get the rights ever since the studio started I think. Shit is real sad.

License out the batman series to a developer that actually cares about making a kickass singleplayer game. And not some mtx, generic third person shooter.

Id kill to have an arkham knight remake or sequel in ue5 for example.

Last edited:

Holammer

Why not, it worked for Games Workshop. There are more 40k (and warhammer) games than you can eat and much of it is pretty good too.

intbal

Id kill to have an arkham knight remake or sequel in ue5 for example.
WB could easily create some good will and ramp up interest in a new Batman game by patching Arkham Knight for 9th gen machines.
The increase in sales wouldn't necessarily be huge, since most gamers already own it, but it could increase the value of the Batman license to a potential third party.

WB could easily create some good will and ramp up interest in a new Batman game by patching Arkham Knight for 9th gen machines.
The increase in sales wouldn't necessarily be huge, since most gamers already own it, but it could increase the value of the Batman license to a potential third party.
Thats true. They should patch it for PS5/XSX.

If they really want to create some goodwill, id take Arkham City or Asylum in Arkham Knights engine.

Its sad that arkham knight still is a better looking game than the recent gotham knights and suicide squad.

RickMasters

Sunsoft is still around. I could go for another NES-style Batman, or at least a Sunsoft Batman compilation.
I second that compilation. And I want that collection to have even the non sun soft batman games. We just need a complete collection of all the 8 and 16bit batman games. And throw in the arcade games while they are it. Maybe even those sucky 8 hit computer batman games and the Amiga game too. Good and bad we need that whole collection. Same with the old Spider-Man games. I still remember playing Spider-Man on sega megadrive way back in the early 90s.

Top Bottom