• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

Fireye

Are deli meats ok to have?

Deli meats are ok, but try to stick with meats that are whole muscles, instead of re-formed meat byproducts. Generally, that means more roast beef and ham, nothing chicken or turkey.

Deli meat is somewhat pricey, so if you can afford it, go for a high protein lower fat meat. My standard lunch is roast beef with provolone in a wrap with some mustard and mayo. One thing to watch out for is the amount of sodium in the deli meat, if you're tracking that. I don't particuarly care.

dralla

Wait, what? Why? I have both an Apple and Banana every day!

Bananas are pure starch, they can definitely stall weight loss. I work with a lady whose been trying to lose weight and eat healthier, she actually got sick eating too many bananas. They're a good way to quickly "refuel" your body after a workout.

I <3 Apples, I ate them all the time during my weight loss. We sell fresh ones where I work, I had easy access. I guess if you're being really strict with carbs you may want to avoid them, but you'd have to avoid all fruit in general.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Bananas are pure starch, they can definitely stall weight loss. I work with a lady whose been trying to lose weight and eat healthier, she actually got sick eating too many bananas. They're a good way to quickly "refuel" your body after a workout.

I <3 Apples, I ate them all the time during my weight loss. We sell fresh ones where I work, I had easy access. I guess if you're being really strict with carbs you may want to avoid them, but you'd have to avoid all fruit in general.

I hear you there. My favourite after workout meal is a glass of chocolate milk and a banana/peanut butter sandwich on whole grain (aiming for calcium / carb / protein / vitamin overload).

I love Bananas but until now they have been no more than candy to me

Seguin

Banned

Dude you can never eat too many bananas...

http://www.30bananasaday.com/

I see. I guess this goes back to doing it for yourself rather than somebody else. And to clarify, I don't mind weight on anybody either, but they couldn't be as big as I used to be - which is part of the reason I decided to lose weight in the first place. I wouldn't have dated myself.
To play devil's advocate, there are a ton of girls ages 16-25 who are very hung up on looks (body moreso than face, in my experience), so don't buy into the idea there are a ton of chubby-chasers out there lol.

That said, confidence confidence confidence. I'd be a liar if I said girls wasn't one of my motivations to lose weight (my career path being the other); if I see Chick Fil A and get a craving, that craving is immediately stifled when I see a gorgeous young woman walk by. XD
In the end, you focus on yourself and not worry about girls while simultaneously continuing to step up your game and keep flirting.
In moderation. No more than five or so slices, I'd reckon. But 5 slices of a premium deli meat (like a salami) with a slice of swiss cheese makes for a pretty hearty snack.

Piecake

I have a Jazz apple practically everyday. So fucking good, and not insanely expensive like honeycrisp (fruit of the gods). Jazz apples are pretty close though

I eat a lot of bananas as well since i like em, and they are really freakin cheap

Been transitioning into low carb dieting over the last couple weeks. Bought some Almond flour and Flax Meal I saw at Wal-Mart (no real health food stores nearby) and have no clue what to do with it.

Anyone have any good recipes?

Quake1028

I'll think about posting some pics in a few months. Down 30 pounds in 6 weeks, tons more to go though but seeing negative numbers on the scale each week is great boost to my motivation.

ch0mp

I just got back from TJs with their greek yogurt. I got the regular, high fat variety, but when I got home I realized it has 1g of trans fat in it :[ Avoid any regular yogurt, it's filled with added sugar. I like to mix high fat GY with truvia and cinnamon, than add some almonds and berries.
Most likely CLA which is actually a really good thing. Most dairy has some in it.

SeanR1221

Made a bigass salad for lunch.

Tons of lettuce, 2 peppers, 2 cups broccoli, hardboiled egg, large can of tuna, 4tbsp of spinach dip.

dralla

Most likely CLA which is actually a really good thing. Most dairy has some in it.

Yep, I did a little research yesterday and it looks like it is CLA. It makes sense considering the ingredient list on the GY itself. It's rare to find a full fat GY in America so I was a little worried, plus iwas only $2.50 for 1lb. <3 TJ

I've been reading some of what this leangains.com chap has to say. It's interesting stuff, but I'm confused by what he's saying in this topic:
Never attempt to train yourself into a caloric deficit. Don't spend hours on the treadmill. Diet comes first, cardio second. The dumbest fat loss strategy ever devised is used by people that wake up early in the morning before going to work to do cardio and follow that up with "recovery shake." Congratulations, you just wasted two hours of your life. Cardio is good for cardiovascular health, but most people use cardio as a fat loss tool - and force themselves through regimens that aren't very conducive to their daily routine (or mental sanity). Next time, skip the shake and the cardio. Sleep two hours longer, but skip breakfast and fast until lunch time. This way you can create the same caloric deficit with the added bonus of feeling more rested and having saved more time. You'll be much better off.
Skip the shake... and the cardio? Wat.

Toki767

I've been reading some of what this leangains.com chap has to say. It's interesting stuff, but I'm confused by what he's saying in this topic:

Sounds like he's saying when people wake up early just to run and then get hungry afterwards and drink a shake, it pretty much negates your run. Sleeping more and not eating till lunch saves you the time and energy with supposedly the same result in terms of fat loss.

At least that's how I interpret it.

I often have some cereal with a banana after my morning jog. Is this the same as a shake? And if so, am I really wasting my time by doing that?

And surely skipping the shake and doing the cardio would be the optimum?

Darklord

Banned

God dammit. So I shouldn't eat them as a lazy snack but maybe after a workout?

Wait...doesn't everywhere? Unless you mean directly off the tree outback or something. And I try and limit carbs to 100g a day or less. I have 20g for breakfast(If I have it), probably 40-60g at dinner, then 20g for snacks.

Zoe

I often have some cereal with a banana after my morning jog. Is this the same as a shake? And if so, am I really wasting my time by doing that?

And surely skipping the shake and doing the cardio would be the optimum?

Are you eating breakfast because your body needs it regardless of your activities, or are you creating the need for breakfast by working out?

Well I would normally eat breakfast, whether I work out or not. I could skip it, not a big deal either way. I have always considered breakfast to be a normal activity, it's only this leangains chap who seems to suggest that it's not.

dralla

God dammit. So I shouldn't eat them as a lazy snack but maybe after a workout?

Wait...doesn't everywhere? Unless you mean directly off the tree outback or something. And I try and limit carbs to 100g a day or less. I have 20g for breakfast(If I have it), probably 40-60g at dinner, then 20g for snacks.

Well if you're losing weight and eating bananas than don't worry about it. Eating one will make it really tough to stay under 100g of carbs though. I think if you stick to whole food you're eating well. I don't necessarily look at carb counts, but different people have different diets.

And when I say fresh, I do mean they're picked from a local orchid and shipped right to us in boxes :) All different kinds, we still have a small box of honey crisps in our fridge.

one more thing...I've been eating a lot of almond better lately, holy shit is it good. it's got nice big flax seeds in it too, so nice amounts of omega-3s. goes really well with apples, it's almost like a healthy version of a caramel apple. it sure is oily though compared to PB

Zoe

Well I would normally eat breakfast, whether I work out or not. I could skip it, not a big deal either way. I have always considered breakfast to be a normal activity, it's only this leangains chap who seems to suggest that it's not.

While breakfast can be beneficial for some (makes you wake up, holds you over till lunch), it's not as necessary as people make it out to be. Especially if you're shooting for IF--that works out the best with two meals rather than three.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

A bit late, but yes... exactly! Getting more sleep will help your health and weight loss a hell of a lot more than waking up early for a morning jog or treadmill session.

There is a lot of knowledge to be had from LeanGains... but I've gotta say, those guys' physiques are rather... odd, in my opinion. There's no "V" shape we traditionally see in a man's body; it's more of a "T" shape where the waist is teeny-tiny compared to broad shoulders. It gives the illusion they have no lats.

A bit late, but yes... exactly! Getting more sleep will help your health and weight loss a hell of a lot more than waking up early for a morning jog or treadmill session.
So when exactly should I be jogging? Why can't I do it when I wake up? I can only assume he is referring specifically to people with 9-5 jobs who get little sleep and force themselves to wake up 'too early' for a jog.

I mean... if I get a good sleep, wake at a reasonable time, and go for a jog... surely that is better than... getting a good sleep, waking at a reasonable time, and not going for a jog?

There is a lot of knowledge to be had from LeanGains... but I've gotta say, those guys' physiques are rather... odd, in my opinion. There's no "V" shape we traditionally see in a man's body; it's more of a "T" shape where the waist is teeny-tiny compared to broad shoulders. It gives the illusion they have no lats.

Pics? I know you can achieve that V with lots of deadlifts and squats which is something that LeanGains heavily talk about. Could just be genetics.

So when exactly should I be jogging? Why can't I do it when I wake up? I can only assume he is referring specifically to people with 9-5 jobs who get little sleep and force themselves to wake up 'too early' for a jog.

Jogging whenever is fine. He is just talking about how a lot of people 'counter' their jogging by waking up too early or people who jog just to go into a 'negative calorie state' for the beginning of day when they can just do IF instead.

Pics? I know you can achieve that V with lots of deadlifts and squats which is something that LeanGains heavily talk about. Could just be genetics.
I could have sworn I saw a guy with the kind of physique I earlier mentioned, but having looked through other photos and success stories in that site, I'm gonna have to revoke my comment because I can't find the photo; and most of the other people who did it do in fact have the normal physique. I guess it was just a case of a dude with certain genetics, like you said.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

I mean... if I get a good sleep, wake at a reasonable time, and go for a jog... surely that is better than... getting a good sleep, waking at a reasonable time, and not going for a jog?

As FallingEdge said, there's nothing wrong with it, if that's what you're doing. The problem is with the majority of people who go out of their way to wake up early in order to get in some cardio. You'd be better off getting sleep.

If you're already awake and have time, and the alternative is just sitting around or browsing the Internet, then by all means, go for a jog!

Wiktor

I've seen the "you need to et enough sleep" matra repeated in countless articles, but never seen anyone actually state how many hours are recommended.

Zoe

I've seen the "you need to et enough sleep" matra repeated in countless articles, but never seen anyone actually state how many hours are recommended.

However much it takes to wake without an alarm.

(assuming you're caught up with your sleep debt)

olore

So I am doing Nutrilette since two weeks ago. Being in ketos I presume since my breath is horrible. Been mixing the satchels of Nutri-powder with some berries creating a smoothie of sorts, question is if I ruin the effect of the Nutrilette by "cheating" with mixing in strawberries, raspberries, mangos, kiwis or bananas? Sure makes them a bit tastier and more of an event and something to look forward to. Still, I`ve lost 5 kilos so they must be working.

despire

So I am doing Nutrilette since two weeks ago. Being in ketos I presume since my breath is horrible. Been mixing the satchels of Nutri-powder with some berries creating a smoothie of sorts, question is if I ruin the effect of the Nutrilette by "cheating" with mixing in strawberries, raspberries, mangos, kiwis or bananas? Sure makes them a bit tastier and more of an event and something to look forward to. Still, I`ve lost 5 kilos so they must be working.

Why don't you just eat normal food instead of some food replacement? Diets one important function is to teach you how to eat the right way and the right amount. What happens when you quit Nutrilette and start eating like you used to? You gain the weight you just lost back..

olore

Why don't you just eat normal food instead of some food replacement? Diets one important function is to teach you how to eat the right way and the right amount. What happens when you quit Nutrilette and start eating like you used to? You gain the weight you just lost back..

I won´t be eating like I used to.

cbox

So I made that Cauliflower pizza last night and wow, it's fantastic. I didn't eat it like pizza as it's more of a quiche texture. I suggest everyone try!

I used this recipe sans toppings.

http://www.recipegirl.com/2012/01/16/cauliflower-crust-hawaiian-pizza/

Apparently you can use spaghetti squash, that'll be my next experiment.

INcltl.jpg

LosDaddie

Banned
Wait, what? Why? I have both an Apple and Banana every day!

Both are natural & fine. Sure, I'd recommend eating a banana only after some sort of physical activity (or at the beginning of the day/during breakfast), and wouldn't go overboard and eat a ton of both fruits everyday, but there's no reason to feel guilty eating either one.

And yes, there are "better" fruits to snack on, but in that case, I'd recommend either some nuts or veggies to snack on.

What he's saying is that Getting Enough Sleep + Skipping Breakfast > Waking Up Early + Cardio + Recovery Shake. This is true, for losing weight. Sleep is critically important, and not just for weight loss. The benefits of cardio exercise (including weight loss) should never be downplayed, however.

Going by the bolded, that routine is indeed better than not doing any exercise. It's my routine in the mornings, as well; Get ~7.5hrs sleep, do a few sets of pull ups & push ups, go for a 1.5mi run, then get ready for work.

I'm also of the mindset that breakfast is a very important meal to have, morning exercise or not. My body needs the food/fuel to get through the day.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
5.5 weeks in and I'm down 26 pounds. My knee has been bothering me so I haven't exercised in the past week. I usually play either basketball or tennis. Because of this and me not taking fiber supplements for a week (refuse to mix it with water, didn't have crystal light) I had slowed down the weight loss and actually had put on a couple pounds (no egestion!). But now I'm back to normal and my system is all clean and good and I made it passed a big goal. I haven't been this light in over 6 years so I'm pretty happy.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
What kind of nuts? I looked before at some and they were terribly unhealthy. Lots of fat, massive amount of carbs, ect
Fat isn't bad if it's the right kind, and in the case of certain nuts... They are loaded with good fats. Very calorie dense regardless.

Macadamia nuts can't be recommended enough from me. They taste amazing raw and have insane amounts of healthy fat (mono-unsaturated). They also have the lowest amount of Omega-6 to keep your ratios in check.

Cashews are good as well in that respect.

...but again, fat isn't bad! My diet easily consists of 35-50% of calories from fat day to day.

Wiktor

However much it takes to wake without an alarm.

Won't work for me. I'm waking up always around at the same hour, no matter if I slept 9 or 3 hours.
Oh, well..I'm mostly sleeping 6 hours a day and since I'm still loosing weight and gaining strenght I will just assume that's enough.

Prologue

Just thought I should drop this here.

Last summer I went to the gym every other day and pretty much cardio every night. Went from 166 to 134 in 3-4 months(5'7). I haven't been going for the most part during this semester due to poor time management. About a month ago I hit 140. Now I had some blood drawn(just a yearly thing) and even though I wasn't deficient in vitamin D, it was a bit low (forgot the units but from it was a scale of 30-100 and I was at 45. I started supplementing with 4000IU vitamin D daily.3 weeks later I weigh in at 136 with little or no change in diet and physical acitvity.

Point is, Vitamin D! It could help you. Theres a lot of studies as well.

Top Bottom