• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

I haven't been exercising either, so I guess maybe I should be eating a little more. Would I still be able to drop 40 pounds in a decent amount of time if I ate eggs and bacon every morning with little exercise?

YMMV, of course, but I'm managing to lose a fair bit of weight and I have 2 - 3 eggs (I get them scrambled from work, so I don't know exactly how many) and two strips of bacon a day, as well as a reasonable lunch and dinner. Reasonable being a meat (not fried, not breaded, not slathered in gravy) and two veggies (steamed or roasted). Berries (blueberries and strawberries mainly) when a little hungry (which is fairly rare) or needing to head off a sweets craving. I haven't done any more exercise than my already light exercising (basically when it is nice out, I walk for an hour or so) and still managed to knock out about 20 pounds in about three weeks.

You mentioned 40 pounds -- what timeframe are you looking at? Is it weight you want to keep off after your goal? A few years ago I went from 330 or so down to 290 over a few months but I did it by starving myself and exercising (mainly walking) a ton. Inevitably work impacted my exercise schedule and I was tired of being hungry all the time and I went back to my old ways. What I'm doing now feels sustainable. It is still early, of course, but I'm hoping that this is permanent.

Piecake

I haven't been exercising either, so I guess maybe I should be eating a little more. Would I still be able to drop 40 pounds in a decent amount of time if I ate eggs and bacon every morning with little exercise?

Yes. Eat till youre full (or at least not hungry). Starving yourself on this diet gets rid of one of the the best benefits, you dont have to starve yourself to lose weight. It probably does more harm then good as well since going hungry to lose weight on this diet will turn this into a more temporary diet, meaning that it wont be a lifestyle change, but just another diet you'll quit eventually when you lose the weight because you are sick of starving yourself

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
So I'm pretty much at the end of my weight loss now (72.5kg down from 97kg, size 30 jeans from 38, size small shirt from XL) other than maybe losing another 2-3kg. Up until now I have been low carb psuedo-paleo with intermittant fasting (a little bit of carbs on martial arts days, no carbs on non training days) but since I've taken up jogging over the last two weeks (did my first 5K the other day, yay!) I'm going to reintroduce carbs as part of my regular diet.

Which carbs do you guys suggest? On training days I usually have a couple pieces of whole-grain toast with bacon & eggs or sweet potato with dinner when I have training at night.

What are some good carbs? Saturday and Sunday are my rest days so I won't have carbs on those days.

EDIT: Also, I think I need to start consuming more calories as the past week I was only eating about 1000 calories AND exercising on top of that.

Onemic

A big part of eating right is putting yourself in situations where it is easier to pick right.
If you are eating out all the time, have something on you if possible.

I willpower buying things once or twice a week, then have to eat what I buy at home.

It's simply my lack of willpower more than anything. I'm unemployed at the moment so I'm just stuck at home doing nothing. Eating out provides convenience and is "something to do". Even when I eat healthy for most of the day I end up snacking on a ton of shit at night simply because my mind is telling me that I'm underfed since I haven't eaten the usual amount of calories needed to maintain my current weight.

Dash27

It's not much, but it's a start, and this time it feels sustainable, like a legitimate shot of being a lifestyle change rather than just a diet to be broken later.

This is the biggest part of the whole equation, if you can keep it going you'll be so much better off. Sounds like you're doing great so far. I dont always comment but I like reading stories like yours.

Good luck and keep updating.

Dash27

So I'm pretty much at the end of my weight loss now (72.5kg down from 97kg, size 30 jeans from 38, size small shirt from XL) other than maybe losing another 2-3kg. Up until now I have been low carb psuedo-paleo with intermittant fasting (a little bit of carbs on martial arts days, no carbs on non training days) but since I've taken up jogging over the last two weeks (did my first 5K the other day, yay!) I'm going to reintroduce carbs as part of my regular diet.

Which carbs do you guys suggest? On training days I usually have a couple pieces of whole-grain toast with bacon & eggs or sweet potato with dinner when I have training at night.

What are some good carbs? Saturday and Sunday are my rest days so I won't have carbs on those days.

EDIT: Also, I think I need to start consuming more calories as the past week I was only eating about 1000 calories AND exercising on top of that.

Yeah I'd definitely eat more calories and more carbs like rice and sweet potatoes. Even regular potatoes now and then if you're exercising. Of course keep up with the veggies, protein and good fat too.

In fact now transition into a Starting Strength and gain lean mass!

Definitely permanent, as I'm planning to keep this diet for the rest of my life. Perhaps losing 40 pounds in 2 months would be reasonable?

I haven't been at this long and I'm sure someone else could chime in with more expertise, but I think 40 pounds in 2 months might be a bit aggressive. That's 5 pounds a week. I managed 10 in my first, but then it went 5 and 2. I'm personally hoping for 2 or so a week, ending the year down 100 pounds or so. Then again, I'm not exercising a ton nor starving myself (both which I've found, personally, to be deal breakers every time I try to lose weight), I'm taking it a bit slower.

There's nothing wrong with having lofty goals, but just make sure that you are aware that you are reaching and it is perfectly fine to come up short -- and if you do come up short don't beat yourself up over it and undo all the good that you have done while trying to reach your goal.

Definitely permanent, as I'm planning to keep this diet for the rest of my life. Perhaps losing 40 pounds in 2 months would be reasonable?

Whats your weight/height now? (sorry if you mentioned it earlier)

If you are say 300+ lbs and 6 foot losing 40 lbs in 2 months is possible, though not typical.

If you are 220lbs and 6 foot losing even 20 lbs in that time is going to be difficult.

On the third day of Atkins I got the induction flu. I didn't know I had it at first. During the day I tried to run 4 miles but then I got really weak a couple of minutes in. I ended up running 2 miles and finished exhausted. I then started to have a runny nose and watery eyes. Tears and snot kept flowing out. Then I started to get muscle aches on my legs and stomach. I got a little light headed too. I just went to bed in the evening and slept it off.

The next day I woke up a little bit better and I found out that I lost almost 1.5 lbs. Woo! I read that flu will just last 2 days.

CrankyJay

Banned
Here's my first cheat day in 3 weeks...going to try to stick close to my calories and carb macros, but not caring about the others.

UHA8bul.jpg

Whats your weight/height now? (sorry if you mentioned it earlier)

If you are say 300+ lbs and 6 foot losing 40 lbs in 2 months is possible, though not typical.

If you are 220lbs and 6 foot losing even 20 lbs in that time is going to be difficult.

I'm 6'1" and I weigh 240lbs. I'm on ketosis (I think, still need to get the ketostix, but I'm definitely consuming less than 20g of carbs per day.)

On a side note, did any of you get any head rushes (orthostatic hypotension) during ketosis? I read it may be due to dehydration.

I am 6'3, may be 6'4. Really don't know the exact height.

I am 255lbs at the moment. I've been weight training around 3-5 days a week, mostly 4. I am pushing myself with the weights, with whatever I can. I don't lift heavy but I try to.

I consider myself over weight with belly and fat from my chest to thighs. Would lifting make my body still stay at the same size while adding muscle or do you think eventually I will be able to trim down the line? Like decrease my size from XXL to an XL?

I haven't been doing any cardio at all but I do walk around 20-30 minutes a day for my day to day activities.

Any ideas?

^ What's your diet like?

Well, I have been cutting most of my carbs and trying to take protein. Sticking mostly with egg whites. I also drink a shake every morning, two shakes/day when I work out.

Breakfast in the morning is usually cereal with almonds, walnuts, dried cranberry and dried apricots. Half the bowl with those and other half with whatever cereal I eat.

When at work/school, I eat orange, banana, apple, some nutritional bar with whatever they have for lunch. Not much quantities.

After workout, I just started taking shake since the last few days. I eat well, mostly with vegetables and egg.

I know that my body needs more protein than I am getting right now. However with my current schedule it is hard to keep it in line except for on the weekends. I tend to eat 2-3 eggs a day with may be 4-5 on the weekends.

CrankyJay

Banned
Well, I have been cutting most of my carbs and trying to take protein. Sticking mostly with egg whites. I also drink a shake every morning, two shakes/day when I work out.

Breakfast in the morning is usually cereal with almonds, walnuts, dried cranberry and dried apricots. Half the bowl with those and other half with whatever cereal I eat.

When at work/school, I eat orange, banana, apple, some nutritional bar with whatever they have for lunch. Not much quantities.

After workout, I just started taking shake since the last few days. I eat well, mostly with vegetables and egg.

I know that my body needs more protein than I am getting right now. However with my current schedule it is hard to keep it in line except for on the weekends. I tend to eat 2-3 eggs a day with may be 4-5 on the weekends.

Not to nitpick, but cut out the cereal and dried fruits. The cereal is carb heavy and high on the Glycemic Index, and the dried fruits are sugar you don't need. All that stuff is labelled as healthy but its not.

I'd recommend checking out the Paleo 101 thread for someone in your position. High protein and higher fat is recommended to keep you fuller for longer while cutting down on carbs.

Not to nitpick, but cut out the cereal and dried fruits. The cereal is carb heavy and high on the Glycemic Index, and the dried fruits are sugar you don't need. All that stuff is labelled as healthy but its not.

So just stick with the nuts? I'm guessing almonds and walnuts are fine.

Piecake

the energy bar probably sucks too. And what's in those shakes? Those could suck as well

Eat your egg yokes and eat more meat. I can't imagine you find that diet filling at all. If you cut carbs you need to add fat or else you will simply be starving yourself. Fat is good and will actually make your diet a lifestyle change instead of a quick fix diet that you will eventually drop once you lose the weight and then gain right back when off it.

CrankyJay

Banned
So just stick with the nuts? I'm guessing almonds and walnuts are fine.

Eat the yolks with your eggs, and have nuts. It's okay to go higher on fat and cholesterol while reducing carbs. The goal is to train your body to use up your fat stores for energy instead of depending on carbs.

Are you low on time? Stock up on ready to eat meats such as turkey or ham from the deli...there are also chicken breasts you can buy that are already cooked.

Also, most supermarkets sell rotisserie chickens (full chickens!) for $5 or so...pick up 1 or 2 and use throughout the week in salads, ommelettes, or other dishes.

edit: Piecake beat me

SeanR1221

One of my co workers has lost 50 pounds basically doing something like the Twinkie diet.

She's low on calories and its all junk. A cupcake for breakfast. Happy meal for lunch. Progresso soup and Candy for dinner. It's disgusting.

CrankyJay

Banned
One of my co workers has lost 50 pounds basically doing something like the Twinkie diet.

She's low on calories and its all junk. A cupcake for breakfast. Happy meal for lunch. Progresso soup and Candy for dinner. It's disgusting.

I'd be interested to know how much muscle she lost in addition to fat.

Piecake

I can't imagine that she is or feels healthy. One of the best things about the primal diet is that you actually feel better and more healthy (or at least i did). I can' imagine you'd feel that way eating nothing but sugar and other shit

the energy bar probably sucks too. And what's in those shakes? Those could suck as well

Eat your egg yokes and eat more meat. I can't imagine you find that diet filling at all. If you cut carbs you need to add fat or else you will simply be starving yourself. Fat is good and will actually make your diet a lifestyle change instead of a quick fix diet that you will eventually drop once you lose the weight and then gain right back when off it.

Yes, they are. Try to move the eggs to breakfast if you want something filling in the morning.

Eat the yolks with your eggs, and have nuts. It's okay to go higher on fat and cholesterol while reducing carbs. The goal is to train your body to use up your fat stores for energy instead of depending on carbs.

Are you low on time? Stock up on ready to eat meats such as turkey or ham from the deli...there are also chicken breasts you can buy that are already cooked.

Also, most supermarkets sell rotisserie chickens (full chickens!) for $5 or so...pick up 1 or 2 and use throughout the week in salads, ommelettes, or other dishes.

edit: Piecake beat me

Will do, taking my notes.

As for the Shakes, it is just a scoop of Whey with milk or water. Milk when I'm at home and water when I'm out.

Piecake

Will do, taking my notes.

As for the Shakes, it is just a scoop of Whey with milk or water. Milk when I'm at home and water when I'm out.

Im not a huge fan of shakes to begin with. Just eat real food like meat and veggies. It will be more healthy and, more importantly, taste a whole hell of a lot better

If you dont like cooking, buy the greatest invention ever made, the crock pot

NomarTyme

Pretty sure she well gain it all the weight back.

BIGWORM

Ketosis only worked for me when I stopped eating solid foods period. The only "food" I could have for my pre-op fasting was chicken broth and Jello, which I hate. Other than that, Optifast as a protein replacement, and I did that for 2 weeks.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Everything kicks me out of Ketosis :|

Can't have fruits or fake sugars without being booted out, and my carb threshold to enter it is ridiculously low.
You too huh?
I'm in super mild keto with some fake sugar drinks. Testing to see how good it's working.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Yeah I'd definitely eat more calories and more carbs like rice and sweet potatoes. Even regular potatoes now and then if you're exercising. Of course keep up with the veggies, protein and good fat too.

In fact now transition into a Starting Strength and gain lean mass!

I'd like to transition to strength training but I'm holding off on that until I find a new job (my current job makes it difficult to wedge in gym visits) so martial arts/jogging will do me fine for now.

dralla

I just ate 8 of them. I better still be in ketosis.

8? youarealreadydead

I ate a pound of frozen strawberries yesterday. I need to find a new snack to replace carrots so I stop turning orange, it's tough though, carrots are crunchy, delicious, healthy, convenient, and cheap. The frozen strawberries are great, but it's not quite the same.

BIGWORM

8? youarealreadydead

I ate a pound of frozen strawberries yesterday. I need to find a new snack to replace carrots so I stop turning orange, it's tough though, carrots are crunchy, delicious, healthy, convenient, and cheap. The frozen strawberries are great, but it's not quite the same.

Fiji apple with a slice of sharp cheddar is serious business.

Piecake

8? youarealreadydead

bananas. embrace the starchy goodness

Piecake

nah, I need something crunchy! Fresh celery isn't bad, can dip it in things too, just a little expensive. peppers too.

so I made coconut encrusted salmon tonight, S TIER

I used to hate brussels sprouts until I baked them in the oven. Now they are delicious

Decided to get back on the low carb train.

I did way back when in between the summer of 8th Grade into 9th, and I totally owned it, I went from 210 to 120 in a span of 3 months, but then again 3 A Day Football practices sort of accelerated most of the weight loss.

Well, now 7 years later, I'm ballooned back to 210, started low carbing about 3 weeks ago and I'm down 22lbs so far. 120 was too skinny for me, despite my Doctor telling me it was the optimal weight on my medical chart, it just wasn't for me. I had no energy and just tired easily, and found that my ideal weight was between 145-155. That's what I'm shooting for this time.

dralla

I used to hate brussels sprouts until I baked them in the oven. Now they are delicious

I eat brussel sprouts every day. BS>Broccoli. Always covered in butter. I buy the frozen ones when I'm on a budget, I pop half the bag in a bowl and microwave it, add butter/salt/pepper/garlic pepper, eat it like cereal. Fresh ones, roasted in olive oil/salt/cinnamon/nutmeg, good too.

Top Bottom