• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

_Isaac

I would love to be in that situation. In clothing stores when I pick up jeans i hid the size. I also hate having to go either at the very bottom or back to get the huge size jeans. sigh. There are stores like Lucky Brand and GAP I feel self conscious going into. I know i am the only one that can change this which makes it so frustrating. I am going to try again.

Being short sucks too. There are almost no pants below a length of 30, and that's already too big for me.

Ixian

Being short sucks too. There are almost no pants below a length of 30, and that's already too big for me.
Ha man, I'm not even that short (5'8) and can only wear a max length of 30 as well. It sucks!
I'm no one to give advice, but do you exercise at all? Losing weight is mostly diet, but I feel like exercising and seeing results in strength really begin to galvanize my resolve and I think to myself...do I really need to eat that? I'm on the same road, nowhere near my goals, but I'm eating way better and I'm not giving up until my eating habits are straight up good.
This is good advice. When I slip, it usually results in me going to Safeway, buying some cookies -- oddly I don't really get cravings for things like pizza -- and eating them all in one fell swoop. Aside from some minor stomach discomfort that night, it doesn't really affect me in any way. If I need to work out the next day though, the effect on my performance is noticeable and undesirable. Last time i played dancing games after a night of cookies I wanted to die.

Log4Girlz

I would love to be in that situation. In clothing stores when I pick up jeans i hid the size. I also hate having to go either at the very bottom or back to get the huge size jeans. sigh. There are stores like Lucky Brand and GAP I feel self conscious going into. I know i am the only one that can change this which makes it so frustrating. I am going to try again.

Do you exercise at all?

mkenyon

Banned
Ha man, I'm not even that short (5'8) and can only wear a max length of 30 as well. It sucks!

This is good advice. When I slip, it usually results in me going to Safeway, buying some cookies -- oddly I don't really get cravings for things like pizza -- and eating them all in one fell swoop. Aside from some minor stomach discomfort that night, it doesn't really affect me in any way. If I need to work out the next day though, the effect on my performance is noticeable and undesirable. Last time i played dancing games after a night of cookies I wanted to die.
Talking about brownie brittle caused me to need to make brownies. So I did.

Fortunately, I ate a single brownie and brought the rest in to work to share. I didn't eat a single one at the office.

Willpower +1

Its spring break for me...... been disastrous for my diet. Pizza/Chinese practically every day :(

At least I have managed to resist calories from liquids which means that at the end of the day I probably won't put on much weight. I find that ANY change of routine makes dieting very difficult.

Log4Girlz

Its spring break for me...... been disastrous for my diet. Pizza/Chinese practically every day :(

At least I have managed to resist calories from liquids which means that at the end of the day I probably won't put on much weight. I find that ANY change of routine makes dieting very difficult.

Man, I wonder what wafflecakes taste like.

Chittagong

Gold Member
As a way of giving the finger to my plateau, I decided to do a comparison of exactly 3 months ago and now in the same shirt in the same location.

73BqziR.jpg

About 10 kg down, plus 6% lower body fat. Also one month of the three was completely without excercise as I was on an (unhealthy) roadtrip, so this is essentially 2 months of work.

There's still a really long way to go before I'm in Abercrombie land, but hey this is a start I guess.

My routine

- IF on Mon + Wed
- Spin 3 x week
- Weights 4 x week (Big Three + Press/Bicep day)
- 1750 net calories a day (compensating for sports)

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
As a way of giving the finger to my plateau, I decided to do a comparison of exactly 3 months ago and now in the same shirt in the same location.

About 10 kg down, plus 6% lower body fat. Also one month of the three was completely without excercise as I was on an (unhealthy) roadtrip, so this is essentially 2 months of work.

There's still a really long way to go before I'm in Abercrombie land, but hey this is a start I guess.

My routine

- IF on Mon + Wed
- Spin 3 x week
- Weights 4 x week (Big Three + Press/Bicep day)
- 1750 net calories a day (compensating for sports)

Damned, Bro. That's very impressive!

omgkitty

I just wanted to say thanks for all the replies, especially onemic for that novel of a response. I didn't know what I expected, and even though I'm hearing all of the things that I already know, somehow it makes me feel better and more focused. I don't feel the urge this morning that I normally do to go out and eat like a fat ass, so that's definitely a good thing! I guess now I really need to just work my ass for the next month so I don't lose $300!

Chris R

Switching from Keto to a Primal diet and bumping my target up from 16xx to 2000 until I'm under 200 then I'll drop it down a bit. I've felt much better these past few days upping my calorie intake while maintaining everything else (before the diet switch).

And Chittagong, what do you use to spin? I have a recumbent bike I use at home but it is pretty beat up and really old, I was looking at replacing it with something else soon.

low-G

So I'm pretty much on top of my fat loss at this point but I want to ask NeoGAF a question.

I still have a little belly fat I'd like to lose, but I've been weight training pretty hard and don't want to lose progress / slow progress. What should my diet be? Should I continue to eat heartily (maintenance or plus) while I'm doing the weight training then take a break from weight training or continue and eat less or what?

Basically does GAF believe it's possible to make good gains in muscle while also losing fat and if so what caloric intake should I do?

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Working 13 to 14 hours a day two days in a row is definitely an effective way to lose weight. Went from 59.9 to 58.8 kg in five days. Not necessarily healthy I guess...

Onemic

So I'm pretty much on top of my fat loss at this point but I want to ask NeoGAF a question.

I still have a little belly fat I'd like to lose, but I've been weight training pretty hard and don't want to lose progress / slow progress. What should my diet be? Should I continue to eat heartily (maintenance or plus) while I'm doing the weight training then take a break from weight training or continue and eat less or what?

Basically does GAF believe it's possible to make good gains in muscle while also losing fat and if so what caloric intake should I do?

I think so, I'm doing it now. what's your weight and how tall are you? Generally I'd say if your aiming for weight loss try to go for 2000 calories or lower. Of course it really depends on the weight you're currently at and your metabolism.

When I first started I used this guys weight loss calculator as a starting guide. Subtract 500 from the number it gives you and that will give you the absolute maximum amount of calories you should ever consume if you want lose weight.

EDIT: wow Dash27's one is most definitely better. Use it instead

I just wanted to say thanks for all the replies, especially onemic for that novel of a response. I didn't know what I expected, and even though I'm hearing all of the things that I already know, somehow it makes me feel better and more focused. I don't feel the urge this morning that I normally do to go out and eat like a fat ass, so that's definitely a good thing! I guess now I really need to just work my ass for the next month so I don't lose $300!

Glad I could help out man

Chittagong

Gold Member
So effective, it changed the color of your phone.
great work!

Lol, thanks!

Damned, Bro. That's very impressive!

Thanks man really appreciate it. Feels amazing to be finally able to post something showing progress in this thread as it has been my top resource in my lifestyle change along with the Fitness thread.

great job. Pictures really do tell the story there. As for plateau I figured I'd post this here too:

He discusses diet breaks for people on a long term cut.

Thanks! That's really useful, thanks for sharing! Makes total sense, and 90% of maintenance doesn't sound too scary - just need to figure maintenance somehow accurately not to accidentially overindulge.

And Chittagong, what do you use to spin? I have a recumbent bike I use at home but it is pretty beat up and really old, I was looking at replacing it with something else soon.

I do RPM classses at our local Virgin Active. They are perfect before work at 7:15 am, and the instructors are smoking hot :)

Dash27

Thanks! That's really useful, thanks for sharing! Makes total sense, and 90% of maintenance doesn't sound too scary - just need to figure maintenance somehow accurately not to accidentially overindulge.

Sure. You can calc maintenance here: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

I personally use "Advanced Settings" and pick Harris-Benedict formula because it's what I'm familiar with. If you know your BF% reasonable accurately you can use Katch McCardle.

Best of luck!

My dad made dinner tonight.
Rainbow trout, carrots and...mash potato! God damnit, dad!

It's hard to eat healthy living with him. He's not overweight, but he's very old fashioned. If I say something like "potatoes and white bread are full of carbs," he'll just laugh and say something like "there's nowt bloody wrong with a few spuds."

He says shit like "There's nothing left of you, lad; you're wasting away. You don't need to lose weight, you need to eat more!"
I think he still remembers me as a little fat kid, so his perception on what is healthy to me is kinda skewed. Kinda annoying.

My dad made dinner tonight.
Rainbow trout, carrots and...mash potato! God damnit, dad!

It's hard to eat healthy living with him. He's not overweight, but he's very old fashioned. If I say something like "potatoes and white bread are full of carbs," he'll just laugh and say something like "there's nowt bloody wrong with a few spuds."

He says shit like "There's nothing left of you, lad; you're wasting away. You don't need to lose weight, you need to eat more!"
I think he still remembers me as a little fat kid, so his perception on what is healthy to me is kinda skewed. Kinda annoying.

When I have sort of disagreement with my family I tend to just be blunt about it. "Oh the only foods for dinner are marinated meats and pasta and corn? Well then I guess I'm gonna go out and grab something to cook for myself at trader joes."

CrankyJay

Banned
Depends on your goals. They spike your insulin pretty high.

Eh, I will eat some occasionally...and when I do it's a single serving, which is about 3 mini red potatoes (5oz.).

I think most people have way more than a serving this size. I really think portion/serving control is a much bigger issue than GI for *most* people.

despire

Eh, I will eat some occasionally...and when I do it's a single serving, which is about 3 mini red potatoes (5oz.).

I think most people have way more than a serving this size. I really think portion/serving control is a much bigger issue than GI for *most* people.

I'm not saying you shouldn't eat potatoes. Just that there is a reason why some people would rather skip them if they are trying to improve their insulin sensitivity for example :)

I obviously knew it subconsciously, but those 4 days of intense exercise/not eating a lot have caught up with me; my legs are killing me today so couldn't do any cardio, and I'm now absolutely starving. God damn.

I mean, it was pretty obvious, but yeah. Take note, people.

mkenyon

Banned

Yep.

CrankyJay

Banned
I'm not saying you shouldn't eat potatoes. Just that there is a reason why some people would rather skip them if they are trying to improve their insulin sensitivity for example :)

Oh I know...I'm just spouting off, but that sensitivity you speak of might be because people don't understand what a proper portion is.

So last summer I decided to get back in shape. June 9th 2012. My previous weight was 224. I hit my peak of weight loss around november at 190lbs.

With holidays and other things I fell off the wagon and stopped working out/eating as healthy.

I'm at around 193 and I can tell Ive gained more than 3 pounds of fat because I definitely lost a few pounds of muscle. So I'm now starting back up with my workout regimen.

I'm hoping to hit my final goal of about 170 by June 9th. So I want to lose another 20lbs. Which would put me at a total of 54 pounds in a year.

In the fall I did about the first 30 days of Insanity but had to stop, couldn't keep up. Ive been back on my spin bike for the last week working up my stamina, in another week I'm planning on starting Insanity again and going for the Full 60days. So I'll be updating this over the next months and hopefully I'll be making some serious movement towards my goal in the next 30-60 days.

I don't follow the "pale" diet, but I do eat that way. I stick to 1400-2000 calories a day right now, eat about a 1lb of bacon a week (which Ive been doing since I started loosing weight, helps control my cravings for fatty savory foods) and I eat a lot of melon, especially watermelon. I also drink about a gallon of water a day, and take One a Day for men. So I'm mostly eating Meat, fruit and veggies. Little to no carbs or dairy.

Ixian

Talking about brownie brittle caused me to need to make brownies. So I did.

Fortunately, I ate a single brownie and brought the rest in to work to share. I didn't eat a single one at the office.

Willpower +1
The killer thing about the brownie brittle is that it's so light tasting that it's easy to go through most of a bag without realizing it.

Yeah, I'm pretty strict about weighing stuff now, even though I eat the same things with such regularity that I could probably eyeball it pretty well. It also helps to eat slowly in order to stretch out the portions, but admittedly I find that difficult to do with some foods, like pizza. If I order a pizza, the goal is to devour it before the regret of ordering a pizza sets in.

Apologies for the douchey picture, but...
My body fat is pretty low. I have no "overhang" or whatever, even when I sit down. I can barely pinch any amount of fat on my stomach. SO WHY DO I HAVE THIS WOMANLY FIGURE? Seriously, any tips on getting rid of this hourglass shape I've got going on?

Skeyser

Apologies for the douchey picture, but...
My body fat is pretty low. I have no "overhang" or whatever, even when I sit down. I can barely pinch any amount of fat on my stomach. SO WHY DO I HAVE THIS WOMANLY FIGURE? Seriously, any tips on getting rid of this hourglass shape I've got going on?

Seems like you have somewhat large hips, it's hard to tell because of the pants. Either way, building up your obliques and upper body would offset that.

omgkitty

Made it through the first day! Now to see if I can make it through the weekend which is always tough, especially with friends who want to go drink.

Onemic

Made it through the first day! Now to see if I can make it through the weekend which is always tough, especially with friends who want to go drink.

good job man! The first step towards the path of weight loss is showing up.

As hard as it may be, you need to resist that urge to go out and drink. Beer contains a fuckton of calories. After some time you can make it every once in a while, but especially since you're just starting out you don't want to stray from that path just yet, as it will probably lead to more temptation down the line. Do it when you feel completely in line with your goals and are already steadfast in your diet/lifestyle change. Then such a thing just becomes a cheat day, an exception and not the rule.

I'm going out tonight, Monday and next Friday. Fucking birthdays, man. Luckily I pretty much exclusively drink spirits like vodka and diet soda mixers so it's not too bad.

Top Bottom