• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What computer games should be on Steam, but aren't?

vhzzqnN.jpg

Konami being cheapasses is the only reason
Oh my god, yes.
I would love for this to be on Steam, I've been meaning to get it on PC for ages but the price is so high(quick search on eBay I see it going for $90-$280!)

It's a real shame the only Silent Hill game on Steam is one of the worst ones. =/

Jb

Was going to post the NOLF games and SWAT 4.
Oh and for some reason Anno 1404/Dawn of Discovery isn't on Steam anymore, even though it used to be and 2070 is .

DocSeuss

Was going to post the NOLF games and SWAT 4.
Oh and for some reason Anno 1404/Dawn of Discovery isn't on Steam anymore, even though it used to be and 2070 is .

Ubisoft never patched it with the latest, so Valve removed it.

Apparently it's coming back. JaseC knows for sure, I think.

It's got the Steam logo right on there. Did they change their minds or something?

Yeah, last I heard, it was.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
totally worth getting now. i would gladly replay it for Steam Achievements. the in-game achievements are pretty well done already.

I don't doubt that it's worth getting now but I'd still rather wait to see if it hits Steam. Not really in it for the achievement, just a sucker for keeping most of my games together on Steam.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

SparkTR

First Area 51 is fucking boss, no idea you could get it for free, downloading now. Shame about 2009 Wolfenstein as well, really solid shooter.

Beware the FoV is nauseatingly low, and the game looks and plays terribly these days (some wierd mouse acceleration and PS2 texture/models). I tried the free version a few months back and instantly uninstalled it.

LiK

I don't doubt that it's worth getting now but I'd still rather wait to see if it hits Steam. Not really in it for the achievement, just a sucker for keeping most of my games together on Steam.

the story is SO GOOD! I'm obsessed with it right now lol

DocSeuss

Anno 1404/Dawn of Discovery and the Venice expansion returned a couple of weeks ago, initially as they existed before but they've since been patched (1.3/2.1 respectively).

That's what I was thinking, but I couldn't remember if they'd actually come back or not.

Ugh, I wish the other city Settlers games would come to Steam too.

Beware the FoV is nauseatingly low, and the game looks and plays terribly these days (some wierd mouse acceleration and PS2 texture/models). I tried the free version a few months back and instantly uninstalled it.

Are there mods or anything to fix the mouse/FOV? There's no PCGamingWiki article on it. D:

SparkTR

Are there mods or anything to fix the mouse/FOV? There's no PCGamingWiki article on it. D:

Nope, not that I could find. That's what happens when no PC community forms around a game like this, no saviour like Durante cared enough about it to fix it.

DocSeuss

The heck?

http://steamdb.info/app/63370/

What's up with Empire Earth not being on Steam?

I know Rise of Nations and Halo 3 supposedly have entries as well... come on, gaming industry. What are you even doing?

Seriously, where the fuck are the NOLF games? Don't tell me rights issues, 'cause it's always rights issues and I know that. I don't even want Contract Jack or whatever, I just want to shoot at a unicycling mime from the back of a tricycle driven by a Scotsman without having to excavate my original copy of NOLF 2 from a box in my mother's house somewhere.

It's hilariously weird rights issues. As in, weirder than System Shock 2 being obsessively guarded by an Insurance Company until a random developer with no history all came out of nowhere and somehow worked out an agreement with the insurance company where EA and Irrational had failed.

Anteater

i've always wanted to try split second and pure too, heard they're capped at 30fps and they're sold on some exclusive digital store?

SparkTR

I never played NOLF. Maybe I'll just watch a LP instead at this point.

You can get used ones for ~$20 if you live in the US, it's worth that price. I loved it and recommend it to anybody who enjoyed the original Thief games. Never finished the sequel though, which I hear is way better.

I'm kinda surprised to see Prey on this list. I had no idea that it was removed from Steam. I know for a certainty that it used to be available on Steam.

Resident Evil 1, 2 and 3 all had PC ports if I remember correctly. They could make a trillogy pack and put it on Steam. I would also like to see Outrun 2006, and Sega Rally Revo see a return, but I doubt that will ever happen.

Oh yeah, and speaking of Ubisoft:

c6nfc9T.jpg

4k07CLJ.jpg

Both have been in the Steam registry for more than two years now (http://steamdb.info/app/202330/ and http://steamdb.info/app/209910/ respectively). I mentioned them in my e-mail that convinced Ubi to finally patch Anno 1404/Dawn of Discovery, but unfortunately their listings are as lifeless as ever... for now, at least.

These 2.

And also Ilomilo and Viva Pinata. Both have pc ports, but Viva Pinata is going to die with game for windows live and ilomilo is locked in the windows 8 store.

JaseC

I know Rise of Nations and Halo 3 supposedly have entries as well... come on, gaming industry. What are you even doing?

Rise of Nations is in a bit of an odd spot despite the IP being sold off as, to quote the manual, Microsoft owns "portions" of the game. This is probably why there are actually two separate listings in the registry: one is Microsoft's and the other BHG's.

SparkTR

Some other games that should be on Steam are Deep Shadows FPSRPG series (Xenus II White Gold, The Precursors). The game are great and could definitely do with some exposure, especially with all the open-world buzz these days.

Ever17_Game_Box_Art_by_Hirameki.jpg

Ever 17, it even had an entry in steamdb.

panzer-dragoon-pc-conversion-1996-european-release.jpg

Panzer Dragoon, which had a PC release.

Metal-Gear-Solid-2-Substance-Codes-Secrets-and-Bugs-PC-2.jpg

This one too... especially this one.

Really, I don't get how publishers can be sitting on such easy money...

Good list but I'd also chuck in the Tony Hawk games and Spiderman Web of Shadows. Activision seem to be perfect for this topic come to think of it.

DocSeuss

Both have been in the Steam registry for more than two years now (http://steamdb.info/app/202330/ and http://steamdb.info/app/209910/ respectively). I mentioned them in my e-mail that convinced Ubi to finally patch Anno 1404/Dawn of Discovery, but unfortunately their listings are as lifeless as ever... for now, at least.

Your emails to Ubisoft are kinda what inspired this. I seem to remember you talking about them in a previous Steam thread.

I never played NOLF. Maybe I'll just watch a LP instead at this point.

NO. NO. YOU GET THE GAMES AND YOU PLAY THEM.

I found the discs in a VA store, of all places. Cost me $2.47. Best $2.47 I ever spent. Loving the first game, though it's definitely more dated than the second, which is SO GOOD.

i've always wanted to try split second and pure too, heard they're capped at 30fps and they're sold on some exclusive digital store?

I don't even understand why some people do the digital store thing. Matrix Games does it. I remember hearing that the Age of Empires games were on Gamersgate or some random store like that for the longest time. No idea why.

You can get used ones for ~$20 if you live in the US, it's worth that price. I loved it and recommend it to anybody who enjoyed the original Thief games. Never finished the sequel though, which I hear is way better.

I would straight-up pay $50 to buy working, 1080p copies of the No One Lives Forever duology on Steam. Heck, if they through in Contract JACK, I'd be willing give 'em $40!

Not sure why you say Thief. Can't say I felt they were really comparable, but I play 'em run n' gun, like Half-Life.

I'm kinda surprised to see Prey on this list. I had no idea that it was removed from Steam. I know for a certainty that it used to be available on Steam.

Resident Evil 1, 2 and 3 all had PC ports if I remember correctly. They could make a trillogy pack and put it on Steam. I would also like to see Outrun 2006, and Sega Rally Revo see a return, but I doubt that will ever happen.

Prey, like Fable III, "ran out of keys." Unlike Fable III, however, it's not because GFWL is shutting down, and the lack of a GFWL store means a lack of a way to create keys for Fable III. It's just... Bethesda... being... weird.

Isn't Outrun 2006 a victim of Ferarri Licensing Hell?

Rise of Nations is in a bit of an odd spot despite the IP being sold off as, to quote the manual, Microsoft owns "portions" of the game. This is probably why there are actually two separate listings in the registry: one is Microsoft's and the other BHG's.

I need to go scream very loudly at people.

Impossible Creatures seems to be in the same boat. THQ apparently had it, except that Microsoft published it (and owned it?) at one point. Also Ubisoft. I don't even know where the rights are now. I think Deep Silver or someone must have acquired them after THQ died, so I'd like to track them down, just to confirm that it's all with them, or that Microsoft or someone has it. No way I'm paying the $70 or so it costs to get a used copy of the game.

Some other games that should be on Steam are Deep Shadows FPSRPG series (Xenus II White Gold, The Precursors). The game are great and could definitely do with some exposure, especially with all the open-world buzz these days.

YES.

Forgot about these. No idea why they aren't on Steam. White Gold's been removed from GamersGate and Boiling Point never came to anything, as far as I can tell. Precursors is still available on Gamersgate, though.

This thread, especially the OP, lists a lot of them.

Lost Odyssey. The game was an Xbox 360 exclusive, but if Alan Wake can make it, I don't see why this can't either.

Red Dead Redemption. This would be a profitable port, Rockstar claim it would be difficult to do, but it would be profitable.

Nier. Another console JRPG. Hell, any console JRPG that hasn't been ported to pc yet.

...those are just off the top of my head. This thread has done a really good job of naming lots of games that deserve to be ported or re-released though.

And also Ilomilo and Viva Pinata. Both have pc ports, but Viva Pinata is going to die with game for windows live and ilomilo is locked in the windows 8 store.

Yeah, both of those would be very welcome. ilomilo might actually have a chance since, if I'm remembering right, both Skulls of the Shogun and Halo: Spartan Assault started as Windows 8 exclusive and moved elsewhere.

The fact that Grim Fandango hasn't seen a re-release on Steam that works on modern PCs outside of Residual and a patch is completely ridiculous. Even with those I still have issues with running the game, and it needs to be kept around as a fucking treasure.

JaseC

Valve ran out of keys during the Winter Sale of 2009 and 2K couldn't provide more as Radar had recently sold the rights to Zenimax. Retail copies register on Steam, though, but even they've largely dried up now.

SparkTR

Not sure why you say Thief. Can't say I felt they were really comparable, but I play 'em run n' gun, like Half-Life.

I pretty much played it like I played Thief, except I'd shoot/dart people in the head instead of whacking them with my Blackjack.

nded

What does "should" mean here? Does a game's value to user increase when it's on Steam?

It means games that deserve the exposure and recognition Steam typically brings instead of being tied up in licensing hell or dwindling, out of print physical copies. It doesn't even have to be Steam, I'd buy NOLF on Uplay if I had to.

Anteater

What does "should" mean here? Does a game's value to user increase when it's on Steam?

It would make it more accessible to more people especially older games, and for people who doesn't live in the states, I don't even remember the last time I see a computer store selling old pc games.

Just like how it's difficult to find psx and ps2 games, it would be nice if they are being distributed over psn.

JaseC

Yeah. The original OutRun is being re-released on the 3DS, but somebody pointed out to me that Sega already has arcade versions of OutRun that use a generic sports car rather than a Ferrari, so unfortunately, despite my initial optimism, I don't think Sega is actually getting the licence back.

SparkTR

Lost Odyssey. The game was an Xbox 360 exclusive, but if Alan Wake can make it, I don't see why this can't either.

Red Dead Redemption. This would be a profitable port, Rockstar claim it would be difficult to do, but it would be profitable.

Nier. Another console JRPG. Hell, any console JRPG that hasn't been ported to pc yet.

...those are just off the top of my head. This thread has done a really good job of naming lots of games that deserve to be ported or re-released though.

I just want Dragon's Dogma. Oh and Red Dead Redemption would be nice too.

ITT: People don't read the OP.

DocSeuss

Please reread the OP.

"I would like to own this game in my Steam collection, but it's unavailable for purchase anywhere, or it is in some weird, out-of-the-way place that I'll constantly forget about."

Valve ran out of keys during the Winter Sale of 2009 and 2K couldn't provide more as Radar had recently sold the rights to Bethesda. Retail copies register on Steam, though.

So... why hasn't Bethesda done anything? :(

I pretty much played it like I played Thief, except I'd shoot/dart people in the head instead of whacking them with my Blackjack.

Huh. Neat. Security cameras ended up frustrating me too much.

Prey, like Fable III, "ran out of keys." Unlike Fable III, however, it's not because GFWL is shutting down, and the lack of a GFWL store means a lack of a way to create keys for Fable III. It's just... Bethesda... being... weird.

Both Outrun and Sega Rally Revo were removed because of licensing rights with various car manufacturers. Prey being taken down is odd, as it never did have GFWL support in it.

Valve ran out of keys during the Winter Sale of 2009 and 2K couldn't provide more as Radar had recently sold the rights to Zenimax. Retail copies register on Steam, though, but even they've largely dried up now.

Oh, that clarifies it.

Top Bottom