• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What computer games should be on Steam, but aren't?

Mohasus

I'd like an updated version of NFS High Stakes and Porsche Unleashed. Nothing major, just proper widescreen and controller support.

Good list but I'd also chuck in the Tony Hawk games and Spiderman Web of Shadows. Activision seem to be perfect for this topic come to think of it.

Tony Hawk HD is on there at least. I've been hesitating because I hear the physics are messed up on the HD version.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/207210/

Edit: I just learned there's no local multiplayer

Edit Edit: I just learned the PC version has no multiplayer whatsoever. Wow.

SparkTR

I'd like an updated version of NFS High Stakes and Porsche Unleashed. Nothing major, just proper widescreen and controller support.

I second this. I recently played an older NFS game (Hot Pursuit 3 I think) and the PC version was a generation ahead of the PSX version I used to play, it was like an entirely new and modern game. A NFS Legacy bundle even on Origin would be insane.

Eusis

Came here to say Wolf 09, see OP beat me to it.
I seriously question if Bethesda doesn't have the rights to this now. They're going to publish a new Wolfenstein soon, what the hell's up with this? Maybe they'll get it out sometime closer to the release of that or at least afterwards. I just settled for grabbing on PS3 for now, GameStop sale and a great example of why I thought the XB1 DRM was one of if not the worst idea I ever saw for a console.

EDIT: Oh, and I think the OP's list is more like "games that should be available on PC digitally, but aren't" rather than just Steam. All of those would ideally be on GOG, possibly ahead of Steam, and even realistically most of the old ones should be on GOG while some of those should pop back up on Steam. Prey was already there, Wolfenstein was already there, stop fucking around Bethesda. Damn, Bethesda is like an American Square Enix in some ways, all they need to do now is buy an ailing Japanese publisher and dive head on into mobile.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So... why hasn't Bethesda done anything? :(

From what I can tell, 3D Realms funded development and 2K was just brought on for retail distribution and marketing purposes, so it may be that 3D Realms retained ownership of the game despite the IP being sold off. Interceptor seems to be more than happy to communicate about matters larger companies would traditionally keep quiet about so it'd probably answer if asked.

Edit: Another frustrating case is Enemy Territory: Quake Wars. Acti itself said that the game was pulled because ownership reverted back to id, and it was developed by the independent Splash Damage, so where is it?

impact

Banned
Uh... I put a good several hours into it. Got to meet the woman at the hotel or whatever (it's been a while)... and it's got nothing on System Shock 2, AvP2, or Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth.

I like the aesthetics, I just don't think it's that great of a horror game.

Silent Hill 2 is better than all of those games combined.

Heretic 2. Also buried at Acti. Raven :(

Blood 2. At Atari. Maybe not Monolith's best, but hey it's a Monolith game! I wish Devolver could snatch the IP.

The Neverhood. Not sure where it's buried.

DocSeuss

I seriously question if Bethesda doesn't have the rights to this now. They're going to publish a new Wolfenstein soon, what the hell's up with this? Maybe they'll get it out sometime closer to the release of that or at least afterwards. I just settled for grabbing on PS3 for now, GameStop sale and a great example of why I thought the XB1 DRM was one of if not the worst idea I ever saw for a console.

EDIT: Oh, and I think the OP's list is more like "games that should be available on PC digitally, but aren't" rather than just Steam. All of those would ideally be on GOG, possibly ahead of Steam, and even realistically most of the old ones should be on GOG while some of those should pop back up on Steam. Prey was already there, Wolfenstein was already there, stop fucking around Bethesda. Damn, Bethesda is like an American Square Enix in some ways, all they need to do now is buy an ailing Japanese publisher and dive head on into mobile.

Absolutely. Some of those would work great on GOG. But I still want Age of Empires, or SWAT, or NOLF on Steam.

As of last fall, when I tweeted Pete Hines, they did not own Wolfenstein 2009, and were not actively looking into it.

From what I can tell, 3D Realms funded development and 2K was just brought on for retail distribution and marketing purposes, so it may be that 3D Realms retained ownership of the game despite the IP being sold off. Interceptor seems to be more than happy to communicate about matters larger companies would traditionally keep quiet about so it'd probably answer if asked.

Interceptor says they're not allowed to show anything from Prey, according to that Duke4 link in my OP. That's in Bethesda's hands, which tells me that Prey is too. Or maybe somehow they own the rights to Prey the game, and Bethesda owns the IP somehow?

Silent Hill 2 is better than all of those games combined.

This isn't even true in every possible reality of the multiverse.

Blood 2. At Atari. Maybe not Monolith's best, but hey it's a Monolith game! I wish Devolver could snatch the IP.

I need a billion dollars so I can go rescue these games.

Neverhood's at... either Dreamworks or EA, I think?

SparkTR

If Valve went after these games with similar tenacity as GOG we'd have them all by the end of the month.

Dizzy-4U

XWNsUjJ.jpg

Don't care if the servers are dead, I can play it all alone and still have a wonderful time. Give it to me Sega (paying full price for full Steam integration, including VAC).

Also, Pinball Fantasies, love it.

Grayman

The first distribution platform, GOG, Steam, whoever that gets me a version of LucasArts' Outlaws that works on modern PCs will win my undying love.

I would pick up a lot of classic games from my childhood if they were available digitally on one of the platforms I use.

Regarding Outlaws, if you have a copy still, watch this space http://xlengine.com/games/ it is pretty solid for Dark Forces.

JaseC

Interceptor says they're not allowed to show anything from Prey, according to that Duke4 link in my OP. That's in Bethesda's hands, which tells me that Prey is too. Or maybe somehow they own the rights to Prey the game, and Bethesda owns the IP somehow?

Ah, yeah, that certainly suggests Prey is in Bethesda's court. Since we're likely to get a response I might fire off an e-mail and ask for clarification.

Edit: Oh, it's stated categorically that Bethesda owns Prey itself:
We can share material from anything 3DR, except Prey and DNF, as those specific titles are owned by Bethesda and Gearbox Software.

DocSeuss

@Jase: that is the point of this thread. I wasn't sure who to email at Bethesda, though.

Man, anyone with contacts at Valve know what's up with Gunman Chronicles? A mod turned full game that Valve owns...

Oh wait a minute I see Blood 2 is actually on Gog. For some reason I thought this was legitimately buried like other games in this thread. Not sure why it isn't on Steam then. Same goes for Blood 1 and Redneck Rampage. Need to get the Big Four on there.

DocSeuss

Oh wait a minute I see Blood 2 is actually on Gog. For some reason I thought this was legitimately buried like other games in this thread. Not sure why it isn't on Steam then. Same goes for Blood 1 and Redneck Rampage. Need to get the Big Four on there.

What are the Big Four?

It was pulled down years before GFWL went inactive.

Right, gotcha now.

Yeah. The original OutRun is being re-released on the 3DS, but somebody pointed out to me that Sega already has arcade versions of OutRun that use a generic sports car rather than a Ferrari, so unfortunately, despite my initial optimism, I don't think Sega is actually getting the licence back.

This is the original Ferrari Testarossa convertible sprite from the arcade game:

out-run-screen1.png

and this is the altered sprite that was introduced in Shenmue on the Dreamcast... I think... :

HUCfZKH.png

It's pretty easy to remove all the Ferrari references from the original game with little loss.The altered Ferrari sprite doesn't look all that bad, considering. But it's a much different story with OutRun 2006 as there are multiple Ferrari car models that would need heavy alteration. Sega also did the same with Daytona USA and they have a non licensed version just called Sega Classic Racing. I would like to see that on Steam.

Eusis

As of last fall, when I tweeted Pete Hines, they did not own Wolfenstein 2009, and were not actively looking into it.
Man, seriously? Just more fuel for why I hated the idea of XB1 DRM I guess, some publishers either don't give a damn or have unreasonable demands. Wouldn't surprise me if both were the case here actually, Activision probably does want too much for a game that didn't do so hot.

Actually I remember Fallout 1 & 2 got pulled from GOG and while Steam has pages you can't do crap there. Bethesda really just fucking sucks when it comes to older releases, outside of Elder Scrolls 1 & 2 where instead they're surprisingly generous.

SparkTR

@Jase: that is the point of this thread. I wasn't sure who to email at Bethesda, though.

Man, anyone with contacts at Valve know what's up with Gunman Chronicles? A mod turned full game that Valve owns...

That omission still surprises me, but fans have ported it to Steam and updated the visuals/engine. It shows up in your library like any other game, but yeah it should be done through the client.

JaseC

I noticed that Frederik refers to Prey as a title that Bethesda owns, which doesn't really leave any room for misinterpretation. Another Quake Wars situation, it seems (everything is in place but redistribution just... hasn't happened).

There's even a fan-made patch that updates the game to run with the Steam version of Half-Life. Definitely an odd case.

On the Linux side of things I'd like if some of the old Loki / LGP ports made it on there: Myth II, Majesty, Rune, Cold War etc.

bede-x

I'd love to see the Jazz Jackrabbit games with 360 controller support on Steam (or Gog for that matter) and the old SSI Gold Box games deserve to be there as well. Grim Fandango is one of the titles I regret most not playing back in the day and now it's a lot of hassle to get working. In an ideal world it should never be that way with any game and a Steam re-release would be much appreciated.

Eusis

I noticed that Frederik refers to Prey as a title that Bethesda owns, which doesn't really leave any room for misinterpretation. Another Quake Wars situation, it seems (everything is in place but redistribution just... hasn't happened).
Really reaffirming my feelings that Bethesda's just a terrible publisher when it comes to their classic library. Everything can be in place and they still just don't give a shit. It's kind of amazing really, I don't think there's any other company actively involved in games worse than they are, even Square Enix at least got most of their classic library out there and almost all of it in Japan.

EDIT: Well, most of id's stuff is there, as in what they developed, but that may've been a push from them internally and didn't hold as well for stuff developed by others like Raven.

Grayman

I would probably pick up quake wars if it was available (again?)

My machine wasn't quite beefy enough for it at release so I slept on it. At the time I was playing Quake 4 with fullbright or vertex to get playable framerates.

Maybe bethseda will push out the games they are sitting on at the next Beth-con

FreeSpace 1, 2

X-Men Legends 1, 2

Marvel Ultimate Alliance

X-Men Origins Wolverine

Klingon Academy

Star Trek Armada 1

Homeworld 1, 2
i am not sure if the first x-men legends was ever released on PC. 2 was a decent version but in my experience had very noticable 8 way movement instead of analog.

JaseC

It's pretty easy to remove all the Ferrari references from the original game with little loss.The altered Ferrari sprite doesn't look all that bad, considering. But it's a much different story with OutRun 2006 as there are multiple Ferrari car models that would need heavy alteration. Sega also did the same with Daytona USA and they have a non licensed version just called Sega Classic Racing. I would like to see that on Steam.

Yeah, I don't expect Sega to do anything to circumvent the licensing issue surrounding OutRun 2006. It wouldn't be bad idea to get those affairs in order, though, considering its status among Steam enthusiasts as a collector's item: when Saw reappeared on Steam last year in time for the Halloween Sale, keys ran dry.

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member
BladeRunner_PC_Game_(Front_Cover).jpg

Westwood's Blade Runner. Loved this game.

Oh hell yeah, this game doesn't get enough love! Got it boxed, even though it's got a perfectly horizontal scratch on it, it's still awesome to have!
I think it might appear on GOG rather than Steam, as Westwood has been bought by EA.

Eusis

I actually just looked this up after this thread jogged my memory of it, and apparently Bethesda is in the process of rectifying this:

https://twitter.com/Bethblog/status/418871493129302016

God knows when that will be, though.
That's the thing though, that was what they said two days (I think) after delisting and since then nothing. Either things are a lot messier than expected (maybe Interplay tried to make this as hard as possible as a final "fuck you"?) or Bethesda is just that bad about classic releases. Guess it could be more the former than the latter in this case though, but their history doesn't reflect well on them.

Cutreman

Neo Member
Really hate when the remove titles from the store. I sold my 360 copy of Riddick, because the game was available on Steam and my 360 broke, with no expectations of getting another one soon. One day, I wanted to purchase the game on Steam and the title where removed days ago.

SparkTR

Really hate when the remove titles from the store. I sold my 360 copy of Riddick, because the game was available on Steam and my 360 broke, with no expectations of getting another one soon. One day, I wanted to purchase the game on Steam and the title where removed days ago.

Get it on Gog, the Steam version sucked anyway due to Tages.

Eusis

Eusis

I'd rather they didn't with the way they treated the HD collection. They would not do it justice and I'd be tempted to pay money for convenience of a sub par release.
But a PC version exists.

Though they could have decided they'd need to remaster it before they released it again, in which case nevermind!

Top Bottom