• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What computer games should be on Steam, but aren't?

Dr Dogg

You know this topic has way more scope than just Steam but digital distribution as a whole.

I'd pay happily over the odds just for Dune 2 to be available via dd. Just slapped together with a dosbox launcher would be fine as half my bloody childhood was taken up with that game. Sure I could go and grab one of the 100's of copies that turn up on eBay every year but I've bought enough physical PC release this year already :p

There's a load of games stuck in licence limbo but there's loads of old classics just laying dormant. PREY being widely available at retail (and Steam redeemable) but not available digitally is just one baffling case out of 100's.

I wonder what the score with all of Sensible Software's back catalog? Cannon Fodder and SWOS are timeless classics (yeah I know you can get the former on GOG but earlier versions of SWOS absent and it's not like it used licences).

There's countless adventure games I'd love to be able to grab again and not have to faff about with 10 3.5" floppies. I'd love to see Star Trek 25th Anniversary return. A game where conflict wasn't the only resolution but diplomacy was a viable option, and not so bleeding obvious like Mass Effect. In fact there's a treasure trove with just the Star Trek licence (and some right horrors too). Star Fleet Academy is massively overlooked.

But a PC version exists.

Though they could have decided they'd need to remaster it before they released it again, in which case nevermind!
Yes I'm well aware and it is problematic for some people. I don't trust Konami to iron it out and fix the issues.

petran79

Banned
currently best PC fighting game, even better than Skullgirls

melty_blood_actress_again_current_code.jpg

Exactly what i was going to post, i already have the game, but many of my friends will only buy it if it will be on Steam (and cheaper) :p

Good luck trying to convince Notch. The game still sells for $20.00 on Mojang's website and I don't think it has ever seen a price drop.

Cutreman

Neo Member

Yep, the DRM stuff is a different issue though. And GOG... It is not the same. It can't be added to my Steam library. It doesn't increase the scroll!
kidding :) thx for the link

Anyway, I would be glad if the game comes back to steam with the crappy DRM removed. But no one knows if that will even happen.

A_Vampyre_Story_cover_art.jpg

Enjoyed this wondeful adventure very much but don't have my hard copy anymore. Sold it to some crazy adventure game collector some years ago. Would buy it on Steam in a heartbeat!

Sendou

Good luck trying to convince Notch. The game still sells for $20.00 on Mojang's website and I don't think it has ever seen a price drop.

Not only that but the fact that they have absolutely no reason to give Valve 30% of the revenue. They don't need the visibility Steam offers.

dsk1210

FYI: some retail Prey keys can be redeemed on Steam.

The one game I'd really love to replay on Steam is the first Test Drive Unlimited, too bad that there's no one to bring it over.

Thanks to you, Prey is now sitting in my steam library, I wonder what other retail I have that might register.

It used to be cheaper for the alpha and beta phase.

I saw a deal once though, I think on a valentines day or something where it offered two copies for the price of one.

sp3ctr3

Outrun 2006 Coast 2 Coast with full force feedback/wheel support please.

And Cave needs to wake up and follow Treasures example and bring their whole x360 catalogue to Steam.

Fjordson

Oh hell yeah, this game doesn't get enough love! Got it boxed, even though it's got a perfectly horizontal scratch on it, it's still awesome to have!
I think it might appear on GOG rather than Steam, as Westwood has been bought by EA.
You have a boxed copy? Shiat, I'm jealous. I played through my brother's copy when I was a kid a few times, but he lost it years and years ago =[ and nice avatar by the way.

I'd really like to see the original Zoo Tycoon games and Starlancer on steam, or anywhere really - they aren't even on GoG. Ground Control, Freelancer and Freespace would be nice as well.

deleted

I second Grim Fandango. Actually, all of LucasArts' adventure games. They put four of them on their and did remakes of the first two Monkey Island games and then stopped. Awhile back Night Dive Studios, who are responsible for getting System Shock 2 and other games on Steam, teased that Full Throttle might appear as well but nothing has happened with that.

I think the buyout happened after that. There is apparently also a almost complete remake of DotT in the vein of SoMI2 sitting at Lucas Arts but some higher ups didn't want to go through with it..

Missing from steam and this thread is:

It is from the pre-Origin time and I still don't fully understand why it never made it onto steam... Buggy in the best way and pretty fun!

Came for No One Lives Forever and was not disappointed. Good job OP. (Also came for Wolf '09 and was doubly not disappointed!)

Between GOG and Steam we've actually got a bunch of my old favourites covered now, though I didn't realize Indigo Prophecy had been removed from Steam since I bought it. A few I would love to see (especially on GOG) are Aces of the Pacific and Aces Over Europe, two late-90s flight sims from Dynamix (aka the people who brought you Red Baron). Also: Oni, an old Bungie game that's aged reasonably well (awful checkpoints aside).

Doran902

Dead Space 3
Mass Effect 3

/\/\/\/\ Drives me nuts switching clients to play them.

Jurassic Park Operation Genesis (I want it on steam so bad)

Someone just needs to release the NOLF games on Steam already. Anyone. I mean, who can stop it?

That reminds me, sharing the Lithtech engine, I could really go for TRON 2.0.

Tron2.0box.jpg

Aside from that I really want all the Infinity Engine games on Steam, and not in any state of "enhancement".

Give me Blood as well.

And everything Bungie developed released for PC; Marathon: Durandal, Myth, Myth 2, Oni, Halo, Halo 2. Mostly Myth 2 and Oni.

Myth_II_Cover.jpg

Also I really wish Sega would get their hands on the Ferrari license again, missing OutRun 2006 on Steam has been one of my biggest Steam regrets.

I second the Silent Hill games. I've only played the first one--which I love--but have no way to play the others.

I agree with the OP about NOLF, as I've heard nothing but good things about it.

I'd like Condemned 2 to be up their as well, even though it's supposed to be pretty dissapointing. I just need more hobo fighting goodness, also I hear there's a scary part with a bear. Bears are definitely scary.

pixlexic

Banned
Blizzard games .. I have yet bought the diablo expansion only because I too lazy to add cc information to my blizzard account. If it was on steam I would have bought it already.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Minecraft and League of Legends will never go to Steam unless Valve waives their fee, and probably not even then.

They do fine on their own.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Havoc2049

Microsoft's PC game releases.

Starlancer
Freelancer
Halo 1 & 2
Microsoft Flight Simulator
Microsoft Train Simulator
Close Combat series
Fable series
Crimson Skies
MechCommander series
Gears of War 1
Age of Empires series
Midtown Madness series
Tinker
Rise of Nations
Alan Wake

Dolor

Blizzard games .. I have yet bought the diablo expansion only because I too lazy to add cc information to my blizzard account. If it was on steam I would have bought it already.

Agreed. Ever since I dropped WoW a few years back, I haven't really wanted to have a second account (after Steam) for games. I would certainly buy all of their games on Steam though.

Microsoft's PC game releases.

MechCommander series

So much this.

Terra

Not a computer game, but still...why isn't Silent Hill - Downpour on PC? I don't wanna dig out my 360 everytime I wanna play it.

It would be easy money for Konami.

Oh man, the Madness series. That was my first real experience with awesome modding communities. So, so much awesome, fun stuff made for those games.

bigkrev

Most probably, yeah, but I imagine it'd be greenlit rather quickly.

There are plenty of games that have trouble getting through Greenlight when they seem obvious (Divekick, after Sony announced they were putting it on PS3 and Vita still took a while to get approved).

Not a computer game, but still...why isn't Silent Hill - Downpour on PC? I don't wanna dig out my 360 everytime I wanna play it.

It would be easy money for Konami.

Port a game to PC, bug test it, get it ESRB rated.... Would it even make back the money it took to get it on Steam? Serious question

Top Bottom