• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What computer games should be on Steam, but aren't?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Conquest Frontier Wars.

Conquest_-_Frontier_Wars_Coverart.png

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
There are plenty of games that have trouble getting through Greenlight when they seem obvious (Divekick, after Sony announced they were putting it on PS3 and Vita still took a while to get approved).

Of course, but if you take a look at the batches of approved titles over the past few months or so you'll notice that Japanese titles aren't exactly uncommon. There's strong demand because up until recently it was a hopelessly underserved market.

Kind of surprised Capcom haven't released the PC versions of the early Resident Evil games, along with Dino Crisis 1 and 2. As far as I know they are easy to get working on modern systems using compatibility mode.

Terra

Port a game to PC, bug test it, get it ESRB rated.... Would it even make back the money it took to get it on Steam? Serious question

I don't know at all how hard it would be to port a 360 game like Downpour to PC. Serious answer.

Blizzard

Banned
People have already mentioned lots of good choices. I wanted to agree with one -- my personal top wishes would probably be Grim Fandango (never played it, presumably really difficult to find now), Day of the Tentacle (come on, the other games are already on Steam), and the X-Wing series (if it were possible to do any sort of even basic HD remaster that would be awesome).

I'm still hoping Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim makes it over eventually. After seeing how awesome Oath in Felghana and Origin are, I'm excited to play it.

bigkrev

I don't know at all how hard it would be to port a 360 game like Downpour to PC. Serious answer.

I don't know either, but the fact that every single game ISN'T ported from 360 to PC tells me that there is probably some cost to doing so that prevents companies from porting.

Loxley

Battle for Middle-Earth 2. It's not even on Origin despite being an EA game.

azeYvgd.png

Its expansion, Rise of the Witch King, is also unavailable anywhere (and also fetches absurd prices). I guarantee you that BFME2 hasn't been released digitally because EA no longer has the rights to The Lord of the Rings and WB can't be bothered to work with EA to get it out of distribution limbo. Which sucks, because it's a fantastic game :( I desperately want WB to make a new Middle-earth RTS (Guardians of Middle-earth doesn't count -_-).

DocSeuss

Blood, Redneck Rampage, Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior. The Build Engine Big Four. Should have phrased, 'need to complete the BF' as the latter two are on Steam already.

Ooooh, cool.

That omission still surprises me, but fans have ported it to Steam and updated the visuals/engine. It shows up in your library like any other game, but yeah it should be done through the client.

Yeah, I've heard Valve kinda prefers to think it doesn't exist.

I was going to mention Swat 4, but you already got that covered. I wouldn't mind seeing this one, though.

24280.gif

Hnnng.

As far as I know, that game is either completely abandoned, or stuck at Star Insurance with Flight Unlimited and British Open Championship Golf.

I noticed that Frederik refers to Prey as a title that Bethesda owns, which doesn't really leave any room for misinterpretation. Another Quake Wars situation, it seems (everything is in place but redistribution just... hasn't happened).

There's even a fan-made patch that updates the game to run with the Steam version of Half-Life. Definitely an odd case.

Wait, seriously, Quake Wars could be released? Wtf, Bethesda, are you more allergic to money than Capcom?

First time I heard of this. Can't you just email someone? Like Gabe?

Possibly, but he's never returned my emails.

Yeah, Blood is an interesting case: it went with Monolith to WB, but then WB sold it back to Atari, which is why Jace Hall's remaster never materialised:

i c wut u did thar

I can't tell if it's serious or not, because that's literally the most common "what games should be ported to PC" post.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-WUSF-3601 It's not entirely exhaustive, though (e.g. Dynasty Warriors 7 isn't mentioned).

Hm. We really need a more comprehensive list.

Props to DocSeuss for a wonderful OP, great read!

Thanks!

Someone just needs to release the NOLF games on Steam already. Anyone. I mean, who can stop it?

Many, many people.

Has Star Wars: Rogue Squadron been mentioned yet? If not, then Star Wars: Rogue Squadron.

Of course this will never happen as Factor 5 is dead and now so is LucasArts.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Armored Core if we're talking non-PC. Makes no sense when they're doing PC ports of the Souls series now. From PLZ. PLZ From.

As for PC: Halo 1/2. Makes no damn sense they aren't on there when Halo Spartan Wars or whatever that F2P title thingy is.

eot

Banned
Someone just needs to release the NOLF games on Steam already. Anyone. I mean, who can stop it?

That reminds me, sharing the Lithtech engine, I could really go for TRON 2.0.

Tron2.0box.jpg

Aside from that I really want all the Infinity Engine games on Steam, and not in any state of "enhancement".

Give me Blood as well.

And everything Bungie developed released for PC; Marathon: Durandal, Myth, Myth 2, Oni, Halo, Halo 2. Mostly Myth 2 and Oni.

Myth_II_Cover.jpg

Also I really wish Sega would get their hands on the Ferrari license again, missing OutRun 2006 on Steam has been one of my biggest Steam regrets.

Myth II needs to be made available online. There are compatibility patches and everything.

DocSeuss

I'm sure none of them would realize they could.

So someone get on that.

Trust me, you do not want the wrath of god brought down on you in this case, because you're more likely to make a precarious situation worse than it already is.

The best thing to do now would be to work on an indie spiritual successor to the series.

WHICH, FUNNILY ENOUGH, I ACTUALLY WANT TO DO. GOOD GOD, GAF, SURELY OUT OF YOUR ENTIRE MEMBER BASE, I AM NOT ALONE IN THIS?

Ahem.

Anyways.

6VDxjBK.png

If ya'll want to maybe get on this and 'encourage' him to make it a priority, the tweet is here.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
-Empire Earth Series: 1&2 were great, 3 was crap but nevermind. They're on GOG but not on Steam

-Planetscape Torment: Don't know if Inxile owns it but it would make sense for it to become available on Steam when Tides of Numerara hits Early Access, pretty much what happened with Wasteland

Rise of Nations: I'm pretty confident this will eventually find it's way to Steam like AoE and AoM.

Shogun TW & Medieval TW: I think EA owns them both but it would be awesome if they came to Steam. I need to complete my TW collection

The Movies: Awesome game, a remastered edition would do it a lot of justice.

JaseC

Trust me, you do not want the wrath of god brought down on you in this case, because you're more likely to make a precarious situation worse than it already is.

The best thing to do now would be to work on an indie spiritual successor to the series.

WHICH, FUNNILY ENOUGH, I ACTUALLY WANT TO DO. GOOD GOD, GAF, SURELY OUT OF YOUR ENTIRE MEMBER BASE, I AM NOT ALONE IN THIS?

Ahem.

Anyways.

6VDxjBK.png

If ya'll want to maybe get on this and 'encourage' him to make it a priority, the tweet is here.

You know what's going to happen, right? The original Enemy Territory will release on Steam but Quake Wars won't follow. Because that's just how my luck tends to unfold. :p

DocSeuss

-Empire Earth Series: 1&2 were great, 3 was crap but nevermind. They're on GOG but not on Steam

3 has an entry on the Steam DB.

-Planetscape Torment: Don't know if Inxile owns it but it would make sense for it to become available on Steam when Tides of Numerara hits Early Access, pretty much what happened with Wasteland

Owned by Hasbro, published on Steam by Hasbro.

Rise of Nations: I'm pretty confident this will eventually find it's way to Steam like AoE and AoM.

According to posts earlier in the thread, it's somehow owned by both BHG (which... might mean Rhode Island now?) and Microsoft.

Shogun TW & Medieval TW: I think EA owns them both but it would be awesome if they came to Steam. I need to complete my TW collection

What, seriously? That's WEIRD. Sega's done a pretty good job tracking down stuff they should own, but don't, and fixing that.

The Movies: Awesome game, a remastered edition would do it a lot of justice.

...I have no idea what's going on with this. Isn't it just trapped at EA?

You know what's going to happen, right? The original Enemy Territory will release on Steam but Quake Wars won't follow. Because that's just how my luck tends to unfold. :p

You could always tweet a correction and point out that there are multiple Enemy Territories games.

Silent Hill 2-4 are pretty obvious at this point, they are even in OP.

Wolfenstein 2009 was removed, bring that back.

Westwoods Blade Runner is excellent choice, I want to play that..

JaseC

3 has an entry on the Steam DB.

The Empire Earth listings never went anywhere, though (e.g. no icons are specified). All the games are in the registry, including the expansions, but the details are incomplete and none of them have their own subs (rather they're all tied to the Rebellion employee sub).

According to posts earlier in the thread, it's somehow owned by both BHG (which... might mean Rhode Island now?) and Microsoft.

There was a 38 Studious liquidation auction late last year. Rise sold but we've no idea to whom.

...I have no idea what's going on with this. Isn't it just trapped at EA?

Activision published the game, including on Steam, but Lionhead retained ownership of the IP. My guess is it reverted back to Lionhead after a number of years and MS is sitting on it.

You could always tweet a correction and point out that there are multiple Enemy Territories games.

I was joking... mostly. I'm sure Bethesda is aware that there are two Enemy Territory games, haha.

ampere

Glad to see Grim Fandango in the OP.

Game actually deserves a slight update too, at least with proper modern resolution and OS support. It'd be a great fit for GoG and/or Steam if the IP owners ever get things sorted out, such a classic. Looking back, 1998 was a crazy year for game releases.

Grief.exe

The obvious one is Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy.
Yeah, Quantic self-publishes the game on GOG and has done for yonks so there are absolutely zero hold-ups there. It's disinterest, apparently: someone here contacted Quantic about a Steam release and was just redirected to GOG. No acknowledgement about Steam at all, just "Buy it from GOG, stupid."

Sucks because it could do well on Steam.

S404E3x.png

Battle for Middle-Earth 2. It's not even on Origin despite being an EA game.

azeYvgd.png

Its expansion, Rise of the Witch King, is also unavailable anywhere (and also fetches absurd prices). I guarantee you that BFME2 hasn't been released digitally because EA no longer has the rights to The Lord of the Rings and WB can't be bothered to work with EA to get it out of distribution limbo. Which sucks, because it's a fantastic game :( I desperately want WB to make a new Middle-earth RTS (Guardians of Middle-earth doesn't count -_-).

We lost some solid Lord of the Rings games when EA didn't renew the licencing.

Return of the King is up there as well with a PC version.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
ive had the biggest urge to go back and play myth 1 and 2 again but i want to get it digitally :( if i end up buying a boxed version thats going to lead me down a dark road of recollecting pc games

Roshin

I actually used to have the PC version of Sega's Last Bronx. I remember liking it and wouldn't mind playing it again.

612576boxart_160w.jpg

Still have my discs for Swat 4, SoF 1 and 2, and Tron 2.0, but I'd happily buy them again on Steam.

Wolfenstein isn't even on Steam? What were they thinking?

Freedom Fighters needs to be made available somehow. But since it was published by EA and IO is owned by S-E now, I don't see it happening.

A couple more games popped into my head.

ToonStruck: Easily one of my top five favorite adventure games. I played through it again last Summer via ScummVM and it still holds up today. The humor and animation are both fantastic and the puzzles are a lot of fun.

Turok: The one that came out in 2008. There is a PC version and it would be nice if one day it appeared on Steam. I wouldn't mind going through the single player again as I enjoyed my time with it.

People have already mentioned lots of good choices. I wanted to agree with one -- my personal top wishes would probably be Grim Fandango (never played it, presumably really difficult to find now), Day of the Tentacle (come on, the other games are already on Steam), and the X-Wing series (if it were possible to do any sort of even basic HD remaster that would be awesome).

I did a quick search on eBay and copies of it seem to sell for around $30. It runs well in ResidualVM (for me, at least) plus there is a mod to give it proper point-and-click control. Or you can load up a profile in Pinnacle Game Profiler and use a controller which also feels really good to play with.

DocSeuss

Wolfenstein isn't even on Steam? What were they thinking?

Freedom Fighters needs to be made available somehow. But since it was published by EA and IO is owned by S-E now, I don't see it happening.

It's JUST like Quake IV. Activision owns the Raven-made games, but not the IP, so they can't distribute. This appears to be the case with Aliens vs Predator 2 (Sega has the rights to distribute), Wolverine (not sure who has the Marvel rights, actually; Capcom and Activision have both had them, and Activision's still pushing Spidey games), and a bunch of other stuff.

JaseC

It's JUST like Quake IV. Activision owns the Raven-made games, but not the IP, so they can't distribute. This appears to be the case with Aliens vs Predator 2 (Sega has the rights to distribute), Wolverine (not sure who has the Marvel rights, actually; Capcom and Activision have both had them, and Activision's still pushing Spidey games), and a bunch of other stuff.

Acti abandoned its Marvel licences at the beginning of the year (its financial year follows the calendar), however Spider-Man survived due to Sony's partnership with Acti to release a tie-in to The Amazing Spider-Man 2, which was still in development at the time.

DocSeuss

Acti abandoned its Marvel licences at the beginning of the year (its financial year follows the calendar), however Spider-Man survived due to Sony's partnership with Acti to release a tie-in to The Amazing Spider-Man 2, which was still in development at the time.

But don't they still have the license?

Bruh, I still got the disc and can't install it on anything beyond Windows 98 or something.

This looks like a job for... Night Dive! And/or Gog. Both provide services in this regard.

Miguel81

Silent Hill 2
Silent Hill 3
Silent Hill The Room
Resident Evil
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3
Dino Crisis
Dino Crisis 2
Grandia 2
Laura Bow 1: The Colonel's Bequest
Laura Bow 2: The Dagger of Amon Ra
The Adventures of Willy Beamish
Outrun 2006 Coast to Coast
Virtua Fighter 2(not Genesis version)
Panzer Dragoon
Blade Runner
Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
Gunship 2000
Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow w/fixed lighting pls

I'm still hoping Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim makes it over eventually. After seeing how awesome Oath in Felghana and Origin are, I'm excited to play it.

This, and Ys VII pls

Top Bottom