• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What GPU should I buy? (New PC gamer/Lifetime Console owner)

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I'm using a 1050 Ti and it's been awesome, though if you can find better for around the same price range, go for that. I think GPUs are in a transitional period so it might be best to avoid top of the top right now.

How much did it cost you?

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
I googled the Optiplex 7010 and it looks like you might have an issue with ventilation with the GPU (fan looks like it would be right up against the PSU). Might have to move everything to a new computer case.

Just checked again and you said you have the Business Tower. Nevermind, carry on.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

I googled the Optiplex 7010 and it looks like you might have an issue with ventilation with the GPU (fan looks like it would be right up against the PSU). Might have to move everything to a new computer case.

Just checked again and you said you have the Business Tower. Nevermind, carry on.

I'm sorry, I think there was some confusion on my part. I have the Small Form Factor Optiplex 7010. It looks very very similar to this pic.

1280px-DELL_OPTIPLEX_790.JPG

So should I be worried about space now?

octiny

Banned
I'm sorry, I think there was some confusion on my part. I have the Small Form Factor Optiplex 7010. It looks very very similar to this pic.

Even if it was big enough, which it isnt, you likely only have a 200-230w psu OEM crap in there with all the wrong connections and would need one of Silverstone or Corsair's small form factor PSU's to run any meaningful GPU.

Hate to say it, but you might as well salvage the ram/CPU/whatever else (not the motherboard) and start in a fresh case. Of course, your budget (?) comes into view at that point.

mckmas8808

Even if it was big enough, which it isnt, you likely only have a 200-230w psu OEM crap in there with all the wrong connections and would need one of Silverstone or Corsair's small form factor PSU's to run any meaningful GPU.

Hate to say it, but you might as well salvage the ram/CPU/whatever else (not the motherboard) and start in a fresh case. Of course, your budget (?) comes into view at that point.

Darn it! This is why I never got into PC Gaming. The money just starts to add up. Someone eariler last week said that a Nvidia 1050Ti runs on it's own power through the expansion slot. It sounds like that's the best I'm going to be able to do then. :(

Because I'm not going to get a new case. Does anybody know how popular on Steam the 1050 and 1050Ti is? I think someone said the 1060 series is the most popular GPU on Steam right now.

llien

If you can wait until Aug/Sept, it's worth waiting as nVidia is expected to release its next gen card and that will affect pricing on current gen.

1060 is not a bad choice, at MSRP or below, although you'll miss adaptive sync.

Note that FPS on PC changes a lot with settings.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.

I think so. Google shows the PSU right next to where the GPU would slot in, and that's where the fan would point towards.

Edit: actually, there seems to be multiple versions on Google images. Do you have an image of the backside of your unit?
Does it look like this? If it has 4 lanes like this picture then it might be enough, but if it only has 2 then you are probably not gonna want to put a high-end GPU in there.
WO-DELL_7010_D_BL-1.jpg

Last edited:
Darn it! This is why I never got into PC Gaming. The money just starts to add up. Someone eariler last week said that a Nvidia 1050Ti runs on it's own power through the expansion slot. It sounds like that's the best I'm going to be able to do then. :(

Because I'm not going to get a new case. Does anybody know how popular on Steam the 1050 and 1050Ti is? I think someone said the 1060 series is the most popular GPU on Steam right now.
not even for $24? https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811353055

mckmas8808

I think so. Google shows the PSU right next to where the GPU would slot in, and that's where the fan would point towards.

Edit: actually, there seems to be multiple versions on Google images. Do you have an image of the backside of your unit?
Does it look like this? If it has 4 lanes like this picture then it might be enough, but if it only has 2 then you are probably not gonna want to put a high-end GPU in there.
WO-DELL_7010_D_BL-1.jpg

It doesn't look like that. It looks like this.

Case%202_1.jpg

Case%201_1.jpg

That's more like 2 lanes.

octiny

Banned
It doesn't look like that. It looks like this.

Case%202_1.jpg

Case%201_1.jpg

That's more like 2 lanes.

Not going to work my dude. Not to mention your actual slots are not even full height slots, they are made for low profile (height) single slot (width) pci/pci-e cards.

Well, it's gonna be difficult to upgrade that PC with a GPU.

You should be able to find a 1050 Ti that fits (low profile cards do exist), but it's gonna run pretty hot and loud in that small space I'd imagine. On top of that, small OEM PCs like that sometimes have trouble providing the required 75 watts to their PCIE slot. So even if you were to get a 1050 Ti, it may not be able to draw enough power. The PSU only has a 240 watt capacity as well, which is a bit on the low side. 300 watts is recommended for 1050 Ti. It'd be best of you could fine information online on whether others were able to install graphics cards in these boxes. I've seen people have succes with the Dell 790, but couldn't find anything for 7010, and I don't have time to dig into this deeper.

In terms of alternatives, anything lower than a 1050 Ti I wouldn't recommend for your purposes. Might as well play on console at that point. So you'd either have to build a new system, start from scratch, or give up.

octiny

Banned
So I can't even get a 1050ti? Would this low profile version of the 1050ti work? It looks like it will space wise.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WWLWWJM/?tag=neogaf0e-20
81Sgv9Md9ZL._SL1500_.jpg

You have a shortened bracket height (silver slot) so it won't fit. Also, the issue with that card is its going right up against psu. That's an open air card so it needs fresh air, even if it fit which it wouldn't due to the bracket height.

Example of Dell PC with normal bracket height:

dell-xps-8930-desktop-gaming-pc-i7-8700-4-6ghz-2tb-256gb-ssd-16gb-ra-chenchen89-1802-12-F767315_2.jpg

Example of different slot heights:

shopping

Last edited:

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I was thinking about a related question. If you have a Pro and/or X, and you plan on getting a new console at launch in 2020ish, what is the current graphics card sweet spot to tide you over until then?

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
So I've been a console owner since 1991 (Super NES). Now I own a PS4 Pro. I love consoles and will always buy them. But since MS has decided to change the game and allow all their games on PC, I've decided to beef up my current PC that I use to edit videos and pictures in Adobe Lightroom and Premier Pro. Right now here is what my PC has.....

Box: Optiplex 7010
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.40 GHz, 4 Cores (8MB cache)
GPU: Some integrated piece of crap.
RAM: 16 GBs
HDD: 500 GB SATA drive
Basic Intergrated Power Supply
Monitors: I have two basic 1080p 22" HP monitors.

What do I want I of my PC for Gaming?

1. Constant 1080p resolution
2. Framerate that can hold 60 fps for most big games that look like The Witcher 3, Gears 4, Forza Horizon 2, etc.
3. Basic mods that make some games like The Witcher 3 look better.

What I don't care about.

1. 4K gaming on this PC.
2. VR on this PC.
3. Any framerate over 60.
4. V-Sync
I was going to say: Go used. Many older cards effectively can do 1080p gaming for much cheaper prices than what is new in stores. However, those cards do require bigger PSU's. In a later post i see you mentioned a picture of a PC similar to yours, so let me post there.

From a CPU and RAM POV, you are pretty maxing it out. The real culprit is your power supply. Likely this is a 240 watt device. With that, your GPU options are getting more limited. A GTX 1050Ti low profile (Meaning it is half-height, and thus fits in your case) is stretching it already.

Why do i say this? Because i have an older HP SFF with a similar PSU (Mines is 220 watt). I have a doggo garbage GPU, but semi decent (Athlon X2, haha) CPU. I am looking for upgrade options to give the old hag some life and ive concluded that a GT 1030 is the way to go. Only dissipates around 30 watts and can fit in any USFF/SFF PC. This is becoming a trend lately to upgrade older PC's with Ivy Bridge or even older Core 2 Duo's with this GPU to essentially get a cheap equivalent to an Xbox One.

However, reading your demands (1080p60 gaming on recent titles) id say you are out of luck here. I will look for the GTX 1050 Ti one, but remember, a PCIE slot can only provide up to 75 watts on its own, and 240 watts PSU, its stretching. Hence why i would opt for an GT 1030 as that is a sure deal. (As in, your PSU can handle that. PSU's arent 100% efficient in their output, so you have to take that into account.)

With the setup i proposed that will work will net you an Xbox One equivalent GPU wise with vastly improved CPU performance, but you wont get 1080p60 ultra performance out of that. Rather except 1080p30 low for most current gen titles and expect 900p medium settings. 1080p60 ultra settings should only be expected on older, last-gen titles. But, a rather excellent thread on SFF GPU's is this: https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=94408&sid=8635be675be2fa169c5ff9a95ac7152e

mckmas8808

You have a shortened bracket height (silver slot) so it won't fit. Also, the issue with that card is its going right up against psu. That's an open air card so it needs fresh air, even if it fit which it wouldn't due to the bracket height.

Example of Dell PC with normal bracket height:

dell-xps-8930-desktop-gaming-pc-i7-8700-4-6ghz-2tb-256gb-ssd-16gb-ra-chenchen89-1802-12-F767315_2.jpg

Example of different slot heights:

shopping

Thanks! So I'm really going to have to listen to TheShadowLord TheShadowLord and look at getting a new case if I want to game on this PC for real. Because I don't want Xbox One level power. I wanted PS4 Pro with a better CPU level power (only to play PC and Xbox exclusives since I have a PS4 Pro). Ugh!

So things I will need

1. A new case that can support a PSU that's at least 400 watt in power?
2. A new GPU between the 1050ti or 6GB 1060). I'm leaning towards the 1060 since I have to get a whole new case. Might as well future proof this thing.
3. A 400 watt PSU that fits the case from Number 1.

Does all of that sound correct?

hivsteak

pcpartpicker.com will help you with everything you need and make it a breeze. You can select a GPU and the parts you already have and it’ll tell you how many watts it requires and if the parts are compatible.

octiny

Banned
Thanks! So I'm really going to have to listen to TheShadowLord TheShadowLord and look at getting a new case if I want to game on this PC for real. Because I don't want Xbox One level power. I wanted PS4 Pro with a better CPU level power (only to play PC and Xbox exclusives since I have a PS4 Pro). Ugh!

So things I will need

2. A new GPU between the 1050ti or 6GB 1060). I'm leaning towards the 1060 since I have to get a whole new case. Might as well future proof this thing.

I would grab a 500w (minimum bronze certification) as it'll most likely be the same price and it'll leave headroom. Just look for the deals with the most watts within your budget at minimum bronze. You're also going to need a new CPU cooler. That cooler is made specific for that case as it's a vapor chamber cooler. Personally I wouldn't use that motherboard if you're moving to a new case.

I would grab a 1070 TI (same price as 1070 but a faster newer version, it was made to compete with Vega 56 performance/pricing) if I was you, that's future proofing at 1080P Ultra versus a 1060. A 1060 struggles to maintain a solid 60FPS @ Ultra on specific newer games. Or you can grab a used 980 TI which is just slightly under a normal 1070 but much better than a 1060.Though considering Nvidia is also revealing new cards next month, you could wait a little and see if prices drop on the 1070 TI. Just some friendly advice.

Edit: More info

Last edited:

Redneckerz

So things I will need

Yeah, 400 watts atleast.
Pick the 1060 6GB as that additional memory is very much welcomed on 1080p ultra. Or look for a cheap RX480. They made a few with 8 GB.
Again: Look for used. An original GTX Titan does need more than 400 watts but you do get similar performance levels as a 1050/1060 for cheap. A used GTX 780 Ti does wonders aswell., or a 980 Ti. I am just saying, check webuy.com who sells used cards for the cheap.
What is your budget by the way?

I would grab a 500w (minimum bronze certification) as it'll most likely be the same price and it'll leave headroom. Just look for the deals with the most watts within your budget at minimum bronze. You're also going to need a new CPU cooler. That cooler is made specific for that case as it's a vapor chamber cooler. Personally I wouldn't use that motherboard if you're moving to a new case.

I would grab a 1070 TI (same price as 1070 but a faster newer version, it was made to compete with Vega 56 performance/pricing) if I was you, that's future proofing at 1080P Ultra versus a 1060. A 1060 struggles to maintain a solid 60FPS @ Ultra on specific newer games. Or you can grab a used 980 TI which is just slightly under a normal 1070 but much better than a 1060.Though considering Nvidia is also revealing new cards next month, you could wait a little and see if prices drop on the 1070 TI. Just some friendly advice.

Edit: More info

I dunno though, depending on his budget it might be better to save $150-$200 with a 1060 6gb SSC rather than a 1070ti if he's going to spend money on a new mobo, case, etc. The evga 1060 6gb gtx ssc I recently bought has been serving me fairly well. But I also only prefer buy new graphics cards so /shrug.

I just don't recommend buying used right now because if its an evga card or whatever that's been around for 2 years you only get 1 more year of warranty. If you try to save $100-200 on buying a used card and the thing goes out a year later for whatever reason then your screwed.

octiny

Banned
I dunno though, depending on his budget it might be better to save $150-$200 with a 1060 6gb SSC rather than a 1070ti if he's going to spend money on a new mobo, case, etc. The evga 1060 6gb gtx ssc I recently bought has been serving me fairly well. But I also only prefer buy new graphics cards so /shrug.

I just don't recommend buying used right now because if its an evga card or whatever that's been around for 2 years you only get 1 more year of warranty. If you try to save $100-200 on buying a used card and the thing goes out a year later for whatever reason then your screwed.

If he sticks with a 1060 he's going to eventually regret it if he wants a solid 60fps on some newer games on Ultra settings (let alone future). No point in grabbing the SSC as it's not binned unless it's the same price, he can slightly overclock any 1060 and reach the same levels. Pascal cards are power limited, so all 1060's get similar overclocks.

Considering he already has a PS4 Pro, $150 difference is well worth it on the 1070 TI versus a 1060.

Edit: OP, let me know a budget you're comfortable with and I'll see what I can come up with. I've built many insanely specced computers along with some budget builds for the sole purpose of benchmarking/overclocking/showcasing over @ Overclock.net & some competitions so I know my shizzz lol.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Yeah, 400 watts atleast.
Pick the 1060 6GB as that additional memory is very much welcomed on 1080p ultra. Or look for a cheap RX480. They made a few with 8 GB.
Again: Look for used. An original GTX Titan does need more than 400 watts but you do get similar performance levels as a 1050/1060 for cheap. A used GTX 780 Ti does wonders aswell., or a 980 Ti. I am just saying, check webuy.com who sells used cards for the cheap.
What is your budget by the way?

Well since the PC was gifted to me, all I planned on doing was adding a GPU. Because originally I asked for the PC so that you could speed up my workflow when it came to editing videos in Adobe Premiere Pro and photos in Lightroom. Then E3 happened and I started to see some Microsoft exclusives that also were coming to PC and it got me interested in beefing up the computer. So my thought was I wanted to spend no more than $250 on a GPU.

That was before I started talking to you guys. Now I'm finding out I need a new case a new power supply unit and someone said potentially a whole new motherboard. I mean at this point the computer that was gifted to me is becoming useless if I want to play some exclusive on it.

octiny

Banned
I mean at this point the computer that was gifted to me is becoming useless if I want to play some exclusive on it.

PC gaming isn't cheap lol even for 1080P, it adds up if you're starting from scratch with a certain performance target in mind or attempting to fit something into something that well....clearly wasn't made for it.

This is why the X looks so damn good price wise for 4K gaming.

Look on the bright side, you still got a perfectly useful computer for free. In the meantime, I would pay attention to the Nvidia cards announced next month. That is where you'll save some dough.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Well since the PC was gifted to me, all I planned on doing was adding a GPU. Because originally I asked for the PC so that you could speed up my workflow when it came to editing videos in Adobe Premiere Pro and photos in Lightroom. Then E3 happened and I started to see some Microsoft exclusives that also were coming to PC and it got me interested in beefing up the computer. So my thought was I wanted to spend no more than $250 on a GPU.

That was before I started talking to you guys. Now I'm finding out I need a new case a new power supply unit and someone said potentially a whole new motherboard. I mean at this point the computer that was gifted to me is becoming useless if I want to play some exclusive on it.
I mean, if you keep everything as is, you still could game on it with a GT 1030. But it will be 1080p low or 900p. And, even on low most games these days still look stunning. So, i think you still could convert your SFF pc over to a good gaming system, but given the limitations, you will have to make some reservations. Adding that GT 1030 is a cheap upgrade though!

PC gaming isn't cheap lol even for 1080P, it adds up if you're starting from scratch with a certain performance target in mind or attempting to fit something into something that well....clearly wasn't made for it.

This is why the X looks so damn good price wise for 4K gaming.

Look on the bright side, you still got a perfectly useful computer for free. In the meantime, I would pay attention to the Nvidia cards announced next month. That is where you'll save some dough.
Well, 1080p decentisch gaming is cheap... if you go used (which is a bit more risky i know). Older, more power zapping cards still are as powerful as a GTX 1050 these days, and for cheaper. But yeah, in OP's case, that is not really an option.
And yeah the X (and the Pro even too) are great values for money, especially GPU wise. I see used OG XBO's go for 130 euros over here. 130 euros. Given its a complete system and all that Microsoft has done to make it multimedia wise, that is a steal, unless you configure your own SFF pc used, but for an all-in-one gaming system (Essentially 8 core CPU, 8 GB ram, Radeon HD 7790 equivalent) its amazingly cheap.

I got my own used X360 2 years ago (an S) for 70 euros. Now i see the E version for 60. Aside the controller, which is a little damaged, it still works as a charm. Used hardware is such a underutilized option, especially with the CEX here, people should look into it more. Proper gaming does not have to break the bank as long as you are realistic in what to expect.

Speedwagon

If he sticks with a 1060 he's going to eventually regret it if he wants a solid 60fps on some newer games on Ultra settings (let alone future). No point in grabbing the SSC as it's not binned unless it's the same price, he can slightly overclock any 1060 and reach the same levels. Pascal cards are power limited, so all 1060's get similar overclocks.

Considering he already has a PS4 Pro, $150 difference is well worth it on the 1070 TI versus a 1060.

Edit: OP, let me know a budget you're comfortable with and I'll see what I can come up with. I've built many insanely specced computers along with some budget builds for the sole purpose of benchmarking/overclocking/showcasing over @ Overclock.net & some competitions so I know my shizzz lol.
GTX 1060 6GB was recently on sale for $230, whereas the 1070 Ti was on sale for $430. Not worth it when the 1060 can do everything he wants.

mckmas8808

I mean, if you keep everything as is, you still could game on it with a GT 1030. But it will be 1080p low or 900p. And, even on low most games these days still look stunning. So, i think you still could convert your SFF pc over to a good gaming system, but given the limitations, you will have to make some reservations. Adding that GT 1030 is a cheap upgrade though!

The part that really sucks is that I wish the low profile 1050ti
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N2W8MJ9/?tag=neogaf0e-20

That's the one on Amazon that I'd get but someone said it wouldn't fit my case. Now I did see they have an optional bracket for small form cases.

GTX%201050ti%20Low%20Pro.jpg

Has anybody used an "optional low profile bracket" before?

Speedwagon

You should be able to get it to fit inside the case with that low profile bracket, but it will have no room to breathe.

octiny

Banned
GTX 1060 6GB was recently on sale for $230, whereas the 1070 Ti was on sale for $430. Not worth it when the 1060 can do everything he wants.

The 1060 can't do everything he wants. He wants to max out games at 1080P on Ultra at a solid 60FPS (meaning minimal drops). Understandably, there's literally zero incentive for him to want any less than that as he already has a PS4 Pro. So a 1070 TI is completely worth the price difference. Assassin's Creed: Origins, Warhammer Vermintide 2, Desolation of Mordor, Dues Ex, The Division, Mirrors Edge Catalysts, Far Cry Primal, Watchdogs 2 are just some newer games that the 1060 fails to hit a 60 average on Ultra (and even some all high settings).

That's not even including adding some AA on top of everything, unless he wants to use the blur of a mess FXAA injector or better yet, Witcher 3 with some mods.

If OP has changed his mind and doesn't feel like he needs all that, and wants to get a card for the sake of just being able to load up and play a few games, than by all means go for the 1060 or 1050 TI. Although I personally would find it hard buying a card that wouldn't last into the next year for newer games on Ultra, let alone when new consoles come & oh so close to new Nvidia card announcements next month (which would push another 30-40% bottom end to budget GPU's...essentially putting a 1160 close to 1070 levels)

That's the one on Amazon that I'd get but someone said it wouldn't fit my case. Now I did see they have an optional bracket for small form cases.

It's extremely simple to install, couple screws, there should be a little guide in there too. Takes 2 minutes.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I hate saying wait a few months, but waiting a few months really truly is the best option just to see if the 11 series Geforce GPUs are released.

If you absolutely MUST buy something today and want to keep costs down the Geforce 1060 6GB is not a bad choice nor is the Radeon 580.

octiny

Banned
OP, if you do get a card this week from say Amazon, you got 30 days to return it. So if you really want to try your luck on that LP 1050 TI for your current case, you still have the option to return it (minus say a $8 return label). At least you'll get a glimpse of what you think you want performance wise, and new Nvidia cards may be announced by then. So it still leaves options open.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Its easy peasy, that bracket is literally just two screws you need to unscrew and to replace.
What you should be looking at is (If you keep your case and your PSU) if it can support that 75 watt.

nani17

are in a big trouble
IMO save and build an entirely new system. No point in getting a 1050 or a low profile card. The system you posted above is a no-no for me. Even the i7 it's far too old. You mentioned the Witcher with mods then you need 1080.

Never rush a build IMO I understand you want it now but it's best to be patient.

1.Set a budget: How much are you willing to spend on what you want. If you don't want to upgrade anytime soon as in two or more years then get the right parts.

2. Youtube: Youtube is the greatest resource for information on parts and the latest tech. Even if you can't build a PC there are hundreds of videos showing you how to.

3: Don't rush: I've seen far too many people go out and buy cheap parts and wondering why a year later they can't play at high settings or why are they only getting 30fps there second hand 680.

Last edited:
The 1060 can't do everything he wants. He wants to max out games at 1080P on Ultra at a solid 60FPS (meaning minimal drops). Understandably, there's literally zero incentive for him to want any less than that as he already has a PS4 Pro. So a 1070 TI is completely worth the price difference. Assassin's Creed: Origins, Warhammer Vermintide 2, Desolation of Mordor, Dues Ex, The Division, Mirrors Edge Catalysts, Far Cry Primal, Watchdogs 2 are just some newer games that the 1060 fails to hit a 60 average on Ultra (and even some all high settings).

That's not even including adding some AA on top of everything, unless he wants to use the blur of a mess FXAA injector or better yet, Witcher 3 with some mods.

THIS. no sense in buying anything below a 1070 in his case.

Last edited:

Speedwagon

THIS. no sense in buying anything below a 1070 in his case.
He also doesn't want to spend more than $250. And the GTX 1060 6GB can do 1080p60 very well. If it couldn't hold 60fps on The Witcher 3 with mods on Ultra, optimizing it slightly (such as lowering Shadows) should be worth not spending an additional $200 on a 1070.

Here's an idea for you, OP. Since your case can't accommodate a high-end graphics card, you could buy a similar-sized, console-like gaming PC case that's designed to accommodate one. I've looked into it before, and nothing has really interested me yet (either too expensive, or not compact enough), but there might be something that suits you.

Example:
NFC S4 Mini (This one is small enough that a standard 1070 wouldn't fit, PSU is external)
8eWfb0S.jpg

Just an idea.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

OP, if you do get a card this week from say Amazon, you got 30 days to return it. So if you really want to try your luck on that LP 1050 TI for your current case, you still have the option to return it (minus say a $8 return label). At least you'll get a glimpse of what you think you want performance wise, and new Nvidia cards may be announced by then. So it still leaves options open.

Man that's such a great idea. I'll think about that. You guys have given me alot to think about. So many choices and possibilities. After reading all of this information I think I have kinda changed what I want out of this PC. I no longer care about playing games with Ultra settings "AND" 60 fps. I realize that I can compromise and play games with High settings at 60 fps or Ultra settings at 30+ fps. Since all my 3rd party games will be played on my PS4 Pro anyway, I'm really only going to play PC and Xbox exclusives on this new PC of mines. And with the limited amount of time I have now, that'll only probably be like 5 games a year. So my expectations have changed some.

He also doesn't want to spend more than $250. And the GTX 1060 6GB can do 1080p60 very well. If it couldn't hold 60fps on The Witcher 3 with mods on Ultra, optimizing it slightly (such as lowering Shadows) should be worth not spending an additional $200 on a 1070.

Here's an idea for you, OP. Since your case can't accommodate a high-end graphics card, you could buy a similar-sized, console-like gaming PC case that's designed to accommodate one. I've looked into it before, and nothing has really interested me yet (either too expensive, or not compact enough), but there might be something that suits you.

Example:
NFC S4 Mini (This one is small enough that a standard 1070 wouldn't fit, PSU is external)
8eWfb0S.jpg

Just an idea.

That little thing is a PC case?

Speedwagon

Do you know what GPU they have inside there? There doesn't seem to be any breathing room for it. Or is that the point of the little slits on the side?
Yeah, those holes are so it can pull in air. Their example has a GTX 1060 6GB Mini. http://nfc-systems.com/s4-mini/

Obviously this is an extreme example. Not exactly what you're looking for, just what I've been looking at.

Last edited:
Top Bottom