• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the difference between a line doubler and progressive scan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Hi guys. I have owned my Toshiba 65" Widescreen TW65G80 for about 5 years now. It's a great set and the picture is still tops. But one thing that has been bothering me is, when I first bought it I researched it and learned it has a line doubler. Now...I pretty much know what this is already...it deinterlaces the signal to give a more solid and uniform picture.

My question is, is line doubling the same as progressive scan? The thing about my set, is it's not HDTV compatible. It's got colorstream, component inputs, and a line doubler, but no HDTV compatibility.

Does this mean that my TV does not support progressive scan? Or is the line doubler actually doing the pro-scan already? I can't really tell. DVDs look great, and I don't really notice any interlaced lines, but then again, vision isnt the greatest. If it is *not* doing progressive scan, how much an improvement would I notice if I upgrade to a RPTV with pro-scan?

Tekky

Your TV does not support progressive-scan inputs.

It can only take a standard interlaced input and convert that internally into a progressive signal which it then displays.

Line-doubling is a method of taking an interlaced signal and turning it into a progressive scan one.

Progressive scan is a type of signal.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Tekky said:

It can only take a standard interlaced input and convert that internally into a progressive signal which it then displays.

Line-doubling is a method of taking an interlaced signal and turning it into a progressive scan one.

Thanks for the reply Tekky. So if that's the case, would there be a noticeable improvement/difference in pq if the TV *did* support pro-scan and I fed it a pro-scan signal from a dvd player?

isamu

Tekky said:

If thats the case then what is the difference?

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
You will not get progressive video with that set no matter what you do. You may not notice the 'screen door' interlace effect due to the line doubling tech, but that's still not progessive.

ge-man

Line doubling really can't replace a properly flagged progressive scan output. Plain line doubling introduces artifacts in process of trying to double frames to make the the 60 fields per second our TV's output.

So, in conclusion, you should see an improvement with real progressive scan.

isamu

Oh I see now. thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom