• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Lesser Known Superhero Would You Like to See an Adaptation of?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Serious lack of 2000AD properties in this thread.

286128-64737-johnny-alpha.jpg

Strontium Dog

22432-3423-25023-1-nemesis-the-warlock.jpg

Nemesis The Warlock

You're alright.

No Rogue Trooper though?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Asian lead & director a la BP

film in Hawaii, make it bright and blue and tropical

put Atlantis at odds with Wakanda

12374a18682375626760521507fdebdb.jpg

ROM was Lovecraftian cosmic horror blended with cosmic Marvel. Along with that, you had a guy who sacrificed his mortal form to become a Space Knight who yearns for his lost physical humanity. Meanwhile, he is singularly focused on his task to hunt and kill his enemy with absolutely no mercy. Even with such a crazy background, many of the runs were intimate and felt like I was reading horror comics.

ROM is cool as hell.

Yes he is. The situation surrounding his rights is so frustrating because James Gunn LOVES the character and his stories. A ROM movie would be a sure thing if it wasn't for Hasbro. Such a waste.

http://screenrant.com/rom-spaceknight-james-gunn/

You have peaked my interest, man. I have never read any ROM comics.

Oh you should, they are really good.

Slayven

Stephanie Brown

Cassandra Cain

These two wonderful Batgirls need more love whether it is Batgirl or their own identity (Spoiler/Orphan). Stephanie had a cameo in Young Justice, so maybe it would be nice for Spoiler to appear in season 3.

Who is Cassandra Cain?

Captain Marvel/Shazam.

Still not convinced his film is actually happening.

Other then that, a fully realized JSA film would be awesome. They could even throw Wondy in it at this point if they set it in WW2.

wondermega

Asian lead & director a la BP

film in Hawaii, make it bright and blue and tropical

put Atlantis at odds with Wakanda

12374a18682375626760521507fdebdb.jpg

I would be there day one. But it has to be the arrogant as fuck, always pissed off Kirby Namor from the 1960s FF. Simply amazing.

Otherwise.. what about Grips?

Hold the fucking phone: Ennis is back on Constantine?!

Is he going for his comedic, Son of Man-era, borderline Bugs Bunny-style Constantine too?!

That's from a Section 8 miniseries that came out a few months ago. It consisted mostly of Constantine talking shit about being forced back into the DC universe. Pretty funny in spots but not that great overall.

Who is Cassandra Cain?

Every time, I shake my fist angrily in the air. Every damn time.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
That's from a Section 8 miniseries that came out a few months ago. It consisted mostly of Constantine talking shit about being forced back into the DC universe. Pretty funny in spots but not that great overall.

Thanks.

Eh. I'll take some Ennistine whilst I ponder whether it's worth checking out any of the non-HB stuff.

If we are talking 2000AD I want Rogue Trooper and Absalom.

On top of that, Zenith might be good. Oooo or an animated Revere might be pretty cool. Imagine that...

Siegcram

My top dogs like Doom Patrol and Moon Knight have already gotten love, so I'd throw Cassandra Cain in there.

And I'd be all over a Grendel movie.

Mike Allred's Madman preferably played by Steven Yeun

34802-5391-38877-1-madman-comics.jpg

A secret agent killed in a car crash is brought back to life by two mad scientist who name him Frank Einstein. He lacks most memories from his previous life so he's all introspective but he gains supernatural reflexes & empathic and precognitive abilities.

He uses a hollowed out Duncan yo-yo and modified toy disc gun as weapons. He defends "Snap City" and fights evil robots, beatniks & G-men from Hell. He befriends Aliens & mutated street beatniks.

Madman & the Atomics would be one of the most off-beat & colorful comic films with the right team.

Pau

Blue Beetle (Jaime Reyes) is such a no brainer. It serves as a great subversion of the typical teenage superhero tropes found in Spider-Man. Unfortunately, in the cartoons he's been in, they've ignored many of those subversions. Particularly, his family and friends all knowing about his powers and heroics.

Kaiterra

Banned
Blue Beetle (Jaime Reyes) is such a no brainer. It serves as a great subversion of the typical teenage superhero tropes found in Spider-Man. Unfortunately, in the cartoons he's been in, they've ignored many of those subversions. Particularly, his family and friends all knowing about his powers and heroics.

Blue Beetle without Paco and the others just isn't the same

Wrong. That was the only interesting thing that ever happened to him. Made perfect sense within the story line. They ruined it by going back.

Speedball wasn't exactly an interesting character, sure, but Penance was just an utter shitshow.
The basic idea was fine, but the execution was just utterly terrible. But there wasn't anything to ruin that they hadn't ruined by the over the top stupid "I need to be in constant pain to feel remorse" shite. Like, he's wearing an iron maiden as a suit. Seriously?

How is this better than just a boring ol' teenage hero just wanting to do some good?
glipenancejpgix7.jpg

Dude also went on to capture Nitro, then torture and murder him in cold blood.

There is absolutely nothing about the Penance arc that was good, it was just an utter failure at creating a super violentgrimdarkgritty anti-hero because those were vogue at the time, and it went so deep into over the top territory. It tried so hard to make Penance "cool", but it completely failed. And as a complete failure it stands in line with all the other Civil War storylines.

The Penance arc for Speedball was just as bad if not worse than Hydra Cap.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Booster Fucking Gold

I'm surprised this isn't a more popular response.

The goofball disgraced college football star from the future steals a bunch of future tech to go back in time and become a superhero just for the money and fame of it, but his selfish motivations to make up for a troubled past come back to bite him.

It's a lot more unique of a story than most comic hero origins would be, and could make for a really good one off movie. His outsider view of the DC superhero universe with just a vague grasp from history class could maybe even provide for some opportunity of deconstruction of the genre without being too in your face 4th wall breaking like Deadpool.

I'm surprised this isn't a more popular response.

The goofball disgraced college football star from the future steals a bunch of future tech to go back in time and become a superhero just for the money and fame of it, but his selfish motivations to make up for a troubled past come back to bite him.

It's a lot more unique of a story than most comic hero origins would be, and could make for a really good one off movie. His outsider view of the DC superhero universe with just a vague grasp from history class could maybe even provide for some opportunity of deconstruction of the genre without being too in your face 4th wall breaking like Deadpool.

There was a Booster Gold film in development I thought. It's not in the DCCU though.

Slayven

YIDHs.jpg

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Speedball wasn't exactly an interesting character, sure, but Penance was just an utter shitshow.
The basic idea was fine, but the execution was just utterly terrible. But there wasn't anything to ruin that they hadn't ruined by the over the top stupid "I need to be in constant pain to feel remorse" shite. Like, he's wearing an iron maiden as a suit. Seriously?

How is this better than just a boring ol' teenage hero just wanting to do some good?
glipenancejpgix7.jpg

Dude also went on to capture Nitro, then torture and murder him in cold blood.

There is absolutely nothing about the Penance arc that was good, it was just an utter failure at creating a super violentgrimdarkgritty anti-hero because those were vogue at the time, and it went so deep into over the top territory. It tried so hard to make Penance "cool", but it completely failed. And as a complete failure it stands in line with all the other Civil War storylines.

The Penance arc for Speedball was just as bad if not worse than Hydra Cap.

its definetely worse than hydracap. hydra cap at least retains part of who he is despite all the heinous shit hes done. penance isnt robbie baldwin in any way. another casualty of the civil war shitshow

Cool to see so many Moon Knight suggestions. I'd love to see a gritty noir-ish black and white take on something from Sienkiewicz era of the first run.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

honestly, im aware its a homage like squadron sinister/supreme but id love to see more of great society in film, tv, or (hopefully) in comic form. its a shame their story came to an end so quickly

also, id love an exiles series, with an adjustable cast per season. mainly so i can have more of this bastard

drROg4L.jpg

Opto

Banned
Give me The Question with a Netflix Daredevil budget, but preserving his near crazy characterization from JLU. Gotta get to the bottom of the aglets conspiracy.

Top Bottom