• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peru

I hope for a strong launch but I'd be wary of expecting them to show all their cards at launch. Even if many teams have been working with NX for a while it's not like they'll throw everything they've got out at once. And people always, always overestimate how good 1st party launch line ups can get.

I hope for a strong launch but I'd be wary of expecting them to show all their cards at launch. Even if many teams have been working with NX for a while it's not like they'll throw everything they've got out at once. And people always, always overestimate how good 1st party launch line ups can get.

Yeah i wouldnt expect them the to throw everything and the kitchen sink at launch

They just need 2-3 solid games, some upgraded WiiU ports, a nice digital marketplace with consolidated VC offering (and credit for the games you own)

They have an opportunity to do this transition RIGHT

If the NX has a Wii U third party support launch I'd probably buy them this time because

A) it'll be in 1080p
B) the PS5 and XB2 aren't around the corner
C) Nintendo achievements
D) Nintendo rewards with my Nintendo
E) I want to support the idea that party games can sell on Nintendo systems

So bring on Arkham knight GOTY edition, Fallout 4 Gold edition, Assassins Creed Syndicate for NX, etc.

I share this sentiment. The handheld will still be there and get support from Nintendo but it's games will also be playable on the console for some big screen gaming. Kinda like Pokemon on the gameboy player back on the N64 lol. Felt so cool playing Pokemon blue on a huge tv.

The console will have everything but for those who want gaming on the go you'll have that form factor with the $40 handheld games.
I don't want late ports giving those companies an excuse to put less efforts into ports in the future or just cancel them all together especially not those listed since they aren't very good
The good thing about NX late launch is that it comes out when this gen finally starts getting good. Hopefully they get in on that

Because Nintendo launched their new hardware in between cycles. But the support has to start from somewhere. By 2017 you hope the NX is getting releases simultaneously with Xbox and PlayStation and PC.

Late ports are toxic imo. Why would it be more costly or difficult to port a year late game than to port a soon-to-release one? True question,cause I am not really a tech guy.

Late ports are toxic imo. Why would it be more costly or difficult to port a year late game than to port a soon-to-release one? True question,cause I am not really a tech guy.
Yeah. I know they'd rather have something at launch but it's best not to if its late. Syndicate, batman, and fallout will be a year+ old at that point. Just port watch dogs 2 or the next AC. Anything older than 2 months is probably not worth it

Roo

Rise of The Tomb Raider could be a nice launch/launch window game.
Considering PS4 is getting it late this year as well with probably all the DLC included it wouldn't be seen as "lol late port"

JayDotZee

Banned
Considering PS4 is getting it late this year as well with probably all the DLC included it wouldn't be seen as "lol late port"

You can bet on the new console receiving lost of lol-ports, but only if a few interns can run the code on the new machine after a couple of months and they don't need any extra work, silly things like optimization or bug solving.

Specially from EA, Ubisoft or Activision.

thefro

I'm only expecting a few first party games at launch, but pretty steady support after that. I do think we'll know most of their 2017 lineup by the time the system launches and folks will know it's getting good support.

Yeah. I know they'd rather have something at launch but it's best not to if its late. Syndicate, batman, and fallout will be a year+ old at that point. Just port watch dogs 2 or the next AC. Anything older than 2 months is probably not worth it

GTA V and Minecraft would be nice since they both sell constantly.

I'd be fine with GOTY editions of other games, but companies shouldn't be basing their future support plans on late ports, especially if they price them higher than the equivalent XB1/PS4 versions.

Roo

You can bet on the new console receiving lost of lol-ports, but only if a few interns can run the code on the new machine after a couple of months and they don't need any extra work, silly things like optimization or bug solving.

Specially from EA, Ubisoft or Activision.

Getting late ports is a fact, I agree.
I was just pointing out that RotTR is one of the few third party stand out games that could benefit the console because it would be released alongside the PS4 version (or close to it)

That's of course if they even have intention of bringing it over to NX.
For all we know, DQ XI could be the only SE game we see for the console its first year.

Remember when EA ported an older version of madden to the Wii U?
Those late ports that weren't done well gave the system a worse name than it had already.
I get that it allows some small groups inside a studio to experiment on new hardware and get some information on it and to have something to offer early adopters, but I don't like major studios taking decisions on the hardware so early on with experiments.
EA ported an old version of Madden with the latest roster and an outsourced port of Mass Effect 3 the same month where they released the trilogy on PS3 for less and then decided to abandon the system and cancel ports by January.
I guess Nintendo can't just turn down 3rd party projects but hopefully they find a way to remedy this
GTA V and Minecraft would be nice since they both sell constantly.

I'd be fine with GOTY editions of other games, but companies shouldn't be basing their future support plans on late ports, especially if they price them higher than the equivalent XB1/PS4 versions.
I guess those two work. Not sure if GTA has any DLC but a port could work and turn some heads. Probably too soon for a GTAVI. Minecraft is selling a lot on Wii U of all places so they should consider it.

Malus

We still know nothing, J. Nintensnow.

CLk2WvTXAAAFmuf.png

Just gimme the name Nintendo. Really set the tone.

"GameSlayer"

"GameChanger"

"Nintendo Next Gen (tm)"

Quite a few of Nintendo's development teams have been quiet lately. There's been plenty of time for them to amass a really amazing slate of launch (and launch-adjacent) titles. That's not to say that there will be a great lineup -- at this point, who knows? -- but they've definitely had time to get their ducks in a row.

It's been quiet because there's been no new direct or anything out of Nintendo. Weather or not that has to do with the NX remains to be seen but expecting all the games to be available at launch is foolish.

Richie

With the rumor of PSVR hitting this Fall, do you think that Sony's marketing, coupled with the innovation a VR device could posit for the masses, may take away the wind out of NX's sails?

With the rumor of PSVR hitting this Fall, do you think that Sony's marketing, coupled with the innovation a VR device could posit for the masses, may take away the wind out of NX's sails?

It most certainly is going to have an effect, as any additional $ spent for Sony hardware is money that wasn't spent on Nintendo hardware.

The question is how will PSVR land for those who don't already own a PS4? It's very likely that the early adopters of PSVR will be those who already own the base hardware as their short term cost is lower than someone new to the ecosystem. So the argument could be made that they wouldn't likely be in the NX target market. However any market share is important to today's Nintendo, so certainly not something I'd like to bank on.

On the other hand, the ramp up in marketing may cause the public to see this fall as another 'system launch year' and NX may get included in holiday gadget watch lists just because it's in the same category. It's akin to the "a rising tide raises all boats" adage.

So the best answer is 'it depends'. :)

Not if the NX is an innovative piece of hardware that enhances gameplay from a core gamer perspective. Certain games were better played on the SNES than on Genesis due to the controller having shoulder buttons and more face buttons. From Nintendo stating openly that NX is going to move away from the Wii brands and with the dev kits being laced with the latest engine support and of course Vulkan API support, the more the NX looks like it will be ready to provide gamers what they want out of the gate and that would be amazing first party games to adopt users at launch, and great Third Party ports that the adopters would buy because of those games potentially being the best version.

Things are looking good for the NX already and Nintendo still has to reveal the systems lol. More potential is yet to be revealed that could make it even more appealing.

Not if the NX is an innovative piece of hardware that enhances gameplay from a core gamer perspective. Certain games were better played on the SNES than on Genesis due to the controller having shoulder buttons and more face buttons. From Nintendo stating openly that NX is going to move away from the Wii brands and with the dev kits being laced with the latest engine support and of course Vulkan API support, the more the NX looks like it will be ready to provide gamers what they want out of the gate and that would be amazing first party games to adopt users at launch, and great Third Party ports that the adopters would buy because of those games potentially being the best version.

Things are looking good for the NX already and Nintendo still has to reveal the systems lol. More potential is yet to be revealed that could make it even more appealing.

It's the WUST Thread all over again. We should just be careful with comments like that when anything we know is based on rumors or things we suggested...

ecosse_011172

Haha, I love your raging optimism.

In reality, we know nothing and it's probably more likely that it'll have poor 3rd party support and be underpowered .

I'd love you to be right though!

Haha, I love your raging optimism.

In reality, we know nothing and it's probably more likely that it'll have poor 3rd party support and be underpowered .

I'd love you to be right though!

Third Party is the question.....being optimistic? Well I have my reasons, but that's fine. Nintendo just needs to present this system in a convincing way, press conference I think is a key part.

I bought a PS4 for 3rd parties and I'm not sure that situation will change for Nintendo, but all I really want is for Nintendo and Japanese devs to go ham and release a lot of exclusive games which is why the shared library is so compelling.
I'd be happy if the usual devs came back but with nicer visuals and releasing on the console.
Being the new go to console for many consumers with the best version of every game would be the pipe dream but I'd honestly be more than ok if the 3rd party titles ran as well as the X1 versions.
I think it would be smart to price it ~PS4 level pricing and better specs, they have a bigger audience covered that way with the portable supporting those that just want a cheap secondary system that plays Nintendo games and the console could add a ton of benefits on top of the large Nintendp library and the best version of multiplats even if it costs more

Malus

Still plenty of time for them to announce their controller is a $100 LCD shuriken too.

Whether that's a good or bad thing i'll leave to you.

I bought a PS4 for 3rd parties and I'm not sure that situation will change for Nintendo.

I bought a PS4 for the same reason, but I'm thinking about selling it to go towards the NX fund. Psychonauts 2 and TLG are the only games holding me back right now. Maybe the former gets an NX version? :3

ika

So... what are the odds of getting some rumors/leaks at DICE this week?

Also, it's already 17th feb in Japan and EU... Any signs of Nintendo Account/Miitomo pre-registration yet?

Thanks!

Do you know if DMP have any GPUs that Nintendo might want to adopt, which are competitive with the kind of thing Apple's shipping in their smartphones and tablets, or something AMD might be working on? Last time I checked DMP it didn't look like they had been doing much since 3DS -- almost as if they'd gotten lazy on all that 3DS money, haha.

There was the PICA 'extreme' graphics core, which was a high-end version of the PICA200, but I haven't heard anything about it since 2011.

Banned
Third Party is the question.....being optimistic? Well I have my reasons, but that's fine. Nintendo just needs to present this system in a convincing way, press conference I think is a key part.
And what reasons are those? Do you know something we don't? Was the game your friend saw running a major third party game? Do you know if some major third parties have dev kits or games in development but are under NDA?!! Spill it!!!

:p

Roo

And what reasons are those? Do you know something we don't? Was the game your friend saw running a major third party game? Do you know if some major third parties have dev kits or games in development but are under NDA?!! Spill it!!!

:p

What you're trying to do there.. I see it >:3

Yeah I'd been thinking that, especially as they have a version that runs on a 11 year old console, handheld port might not be out of the question.

Banned
Yeah I'd been thinking that, especially as they have a version that runs on a 11 year old console, handheld port might not be out of the question.
Damn it al these potential NX releases make me not want to buy the games right now lol.

I expect the Nintendo first party stuff to be there in launch window, Mario, Zelda and Smash.

But other games planned for launch just before, during or after the NX launch (so let's say September 2016-March 2017) are:

Rise of the Tomb Raider GOTY
Mass Effect: Andromeda (will lose my shit and roll in it if this comes to NX)
FFXV
Battlefield 5
Possible Visceral Star Wars game?
Star Ocean 5 localization?
Tales of Bersaria
Call of Duty
Sonic 25
All the annualized bullshit
Tons of indie games.

If all those big third party games launch within the first six months of Nx's launch along with Nintendo's IP I'm filing for bankruptcy. Time to start saving.

Damn it al these potential NX releases make me not want to buy the games right now lol.

I expect the Nintendo first party stuff to be there in launch window, Mario, Zelda and Smash.

But other games planned for launch just before, during or after the NX launch (so let's say September 2016-March 2017) are:

Rise of the Tomb Raider GOTY
Mass Effect: Andromeda (will lose my shit and roll in it if this comes to NX)
FFXV
Battlefield 5
Possible Visceral Star Wars game?
Star Ocean 5 localization?
Tales of Bersaria
Call of Duty
Sonic 25
All the annualized bullshit
Tons of indie games.

If all those big third party games launch within the first six months of Nx's launch along with Nintendo's IP I'm filing for bankruptcy. Time to start saving.

Don't do this. I'm gonna get too excited and we're both gonna be let down.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Tomb Raider 2013 was never even officially announced for Wii U despite the hardware being capable and it having been a potential launch window title in development coming off the best-selling Nintendo console and before the Wii U was a known commercial failure. It still didn't happen. Pretty silly to expect its sequel and all of these other games right now, especially when we don't know much about the actual hardware.

Looking at the titles listed, buy a PS4. The situation with third parties and Nintendo is not clear right now but Star Ocean 5 is a PS exclusive for example.

If Nintendo provides big support for their Virtual Console I will probably not bother with any other competing console. Would be NX + PC combo for years to come.

Cynn

It won't phase the early adopters as they will be Nintendo enthusiasts and immune to pretty much everything else.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I'm assuming Retro has moved to NX. Crazy that one of their best devs only did a dkc game.

A DK64 sequel from Retro would really be amazing, or even that rumoured Diddy Kong Racing 2 if they aren't allowed to work with Metroid or new IP.

I wonder if a lot of first-party projects didn't start on Wii U and quietly shift to NX. It happened to a lot of games on N64 (RE0, Eternal Darkness, Doshin the Giant port and European release, Animal Crossing port and international release) and Wii (Twilight Princess, Super Paper Mario).

Turrican3

Crazy that one of their best devs only did a dkc game.
I for one wasn't that happy when Nintendo announced DKTF.
But I can easily understand why they did it: I mean, not only Returns was a God-tier platforming experience, but most of all it sold extremely well. A sequel was basically a given when they greenlighted it.

I hope Retro has been working on something else anyway for NX too
obligatory Metroid plis

Peterc

was this already been posted?

DFC: Launching Nintendo NX In 2016 ‘A Mistake Under Any Scenario’

Analyst firm DFC believes it would be a big mistake for Nintendo to release the NX platform in 2016. The reason? Well, they say that competing against the Virtual Reality solutions that are expected mid to late year such as PlayStation VR could prove to be a disaster. DFC says that they will prove to be extremely popular and would dwarf consumer interest in the Nintendo NX. They say that the NX won’t have an impact on the market until at least late 2017.

“DFC believes that Nintendo launching a new system in 2016 would be a mistake and under any scenario the Nintendo NX will not have an impact on the market until late 2017.”

“Of course, our perception is likely to evolve as more details around price points and launch dates become available, but 2016 is looking to be a record year for the game industry. In reviewing 2015 the PlayStation 4 met our expectations while the Xbox One and Wii U slightly underperformed. Going forward DFC believes that the potential launch of a new Nintendo system as well as new VR devices, especially the PlayStation VR will have a negative impact on the Xbox One and Wii U.

“Accordingly the market is open for the PlayStation 4 to have stronger sales and forecasts have been raised accordingly.”

source

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom