• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinky

Banned
Well, if we're pretty sure the console's coming out this year, then we're in a better timeline for those rumored sentiments to be more meaningful: Wii U's period of hype was around and after E3 2011, at least for third parties. It was in the runup to E3 2012 that the bad juju started fluttering around. It's harder for third parties to do a 180 in the same calendar year that the device is releasing.

Though they can always prove me wrong :-(

I certainly hope you're right. I want NX to bring the goods.

No tablet?

With the addition of scroll wheels
(supposedly)
. ;)

Banned
That's a very broad sounding statement if you've only spoken to one dev...
That's what I meant. It's very anecdotal unless there's some empirical evidence to support this statement. Like the survey a month back where developers who were polled answered that only something like 6% were considering developing for Nintendo platforms compared to the x86 twins who were in the 20% range.

Yes. YES.
Easy there. We need more details before getting hyped.
Perhaps this time the relationship is a little less unprecedented.
Instead of John Riccitielo coming out on stage to announced unprecedented partnerships it'll be Andrew Wilson five years later saying the same shit and bringing over 5 games released 12 months ago on PS4/XB1 and then saying nobody buys their games on Nintendo devices when they inevitably bomb.

looking.gif

Sounds encouraging, but developer support looked pretty good early on for Wii U as well and, well, we know how big of a collapse that ended up being. Hopefully, whatever it is about NX that is enticing to developers at this current point in time will sustain and carry on well past launch.
Yup.
No tablet?
Heh. That wasn't the reason the Wii U was abandoned.

looking.gif

Sounds encouraging, but developer support looked pretty good early on for Wii U as well and, well, we know how big of a collapse that ended up being. Hopefully, whatever it is about NX that is enticing to developers at this current point in time will sustain and carry on well past launch.

Wii U had old ports a launch and during development even before launch, you heard plenty of complaints about not only the console power but the console architecture. Most developers were trying to put a positive spin on their games to not hurt sales, but the complaints were there. That was in regards to porting from Xbox 360 and PS3, it still wasn't as easy as it should have been.

That's what I meant. It's very anecdotal unless there's some empirical evidence to support this statement. Like the survey a month back where developers who were polled answered that only something like 6% were considering developing for Nintendo platforms compared to the x86 twins who were in the 20% range.

Easy there. We need more details before getting hyped.

Instead of John Riccitielo coming out on stage to announced unprecedented partnerships it'll be Andrew Wilson five years later saying the same shit and bringing over 5 games released 12 months ago on PS4/XB1 and then saying nobody buys their games on Nintendo devices when they inevitably bomb.

Yup.

Heh. That wasn't the reason the Wii U was abandoned.

Welllll think about the 3rd party ports in the beginning

All late and all tried to be reworked to use the tablet in some way

Im sure lack of power and low internal storage played a part. 3rd parties like a degree of power and feature parity amongst platforms to ease the porting process

Maybe the Power PC infrastructure combined with the tablet was a nasty mix. Not to mention they were coming to the system off the Wii

Peru

I dunno, was the tablet a hindrance? Obviously it was expensive and underused, but did it add to developing difficulties?

I dunno, was the tablet a hindrance? Obviously it was expensive and underused, but did it add to developing difficulties?

Maybe it was the precedent set by Wii. They were already burned by designing games specifically for Wii and WiiU wasnt looking much different?

Roo

Well, Kimishima said they've been looking/considering the VR enviroment but it is simply not a priority for them right now so it's not like they're completely opposed to the idea to join Sony and co if VR actually takes off down the line.

Banned
Welllll think about the 3rd party ports in the beginning

All late and all tried to be reworked to use the tablet in some way

Im sure lack of power and low internal storage played a part. 3rd parties like a degree of power and feature parity amongst platforms to ease the porting process

Maybe the Power PC infrastructure combined with the tablet was a nasty mix. Not to mention they were coming to the system off the Wii
So if power was the reason the Wii U was abandoned what's to stop them from happening with the NX? I know we've had some vague tweets with "industry leading chips" and Trev's dev friend running a graphically demanding game (compared to what I have no idea, another vague statement), but for all we know this could be another underpowered console with a gimmick since that's the indication Nintendo is giving with the "new way to experience games" sentence.
It took two lines of code to get the gamepad to stream whatever was on the tv. Nintendo never forced anyone to use the gamepads gimmicks. At worst you could put a map on there or inventory. Or off-tv play.

Well, Kimishima said they've been looking/considering the VR enviroment but it is simply not a priority for them right now so it's not like they're completely opposed to the idea to join Sony and co if VR actually takes off down the line.
Nintendo has to get their own shit in order before adding VR to the mix. The decline in home and handheld console sales needs to be remedied along with lack of third party support. Get that ship settled and then do VR.

I kept hearing that, but I can't imagine putting a map or just mirroring the image would be hard work

Yeah well look at the precedent set by the Wii before it though

Even if the tablet wasnt as drastic a departure as the Wii Remote the message was somewhat the same

Makes games that cater to how we have marketed our system

Pinky

Banned
Wii U had old ports a launch and during development even before launch, you heard plenty of complaints about not only the console power but the console architecture. Most developers were trying to put a positive spin on their games to not hurt sales, but the complaints were there. That was in regards to porting from Xbox 360 and PS3, it still wasn't as easy as it should have been.

That's true, but NDAs are so damn tight for this sucker there's no way for us to know what developers think of NX in regards to power, ease of development, etc...

You'll have to forgive me as I don't get to follow this thread as often as I'd like, but you are a developer, yes? I've assumed as much from past posts, but wasn't 100% sure. Regardless, you do seem preavy to more info than most of us and I certainly hope your comment about developer enthusiasm is quite accurate.

So if power was the reason the Wii U was abandoned what's to stop them from happening with the NX? I know we've had some vague tweets with "industry leading chips" and Trev's dev friend running a graphically demanding game (compared to what I have no idea, another vague statement), but for all we know this could be another underpowered console with a gimmick since that's the indication Nintendo is giving with the "new way to experience games" sentence.

It took two lines of code to get the gamepad to stream whatever was on the tv. Nintendo never forced anyone to use the gamepads gimmicks. At worst you could put a map on there or inventory. Or off-tv play.

Nintendo has to get their own shit in order before adding VR to the mix. The decline in home and handheld console sales needs to be remedied along with lack of third party support. Get that ship settled and then do VR.

Maybe those that chose to follow the WiiU philosophy when designing games and ports got burned..... like they did with the Wii

Peru

It's cool if 3rd parties give the NX a go but I honestly don't believe it will ever be a lasting reason to buy the NX. I want Nintendo to plan for a future where they need to secure the software flow themselves, with some Japanese help.

It's cool if 3rd parties give the NX a go but I honestly don't believe it will ever be a lasting reason to buy the NX. I want Nintendo to plan for a future where they need to secure the software flow themselves, with some Japanese help.
Yeah, probably just selfish of me but I'd be more than fine with Nintendo just releasing a ton of unique exclusive games to make up for the lack of multiplatform games.
Even if they can't make all of them themselves, just work with PG, Namco, Tecmo, etc.
They could realistically release one new game every month with some months (during the holidays) containing more.
But it would benefit Nintendo business wise to get 3rd parties on board to pick up the slack, but I'd love to see a self sufficient Nintendo where they don't have to worry about securing 3rd party support and failing badly if they don't get it.

Pinky

Banned
I'd be happy with a Nintendo machine that has STRONG third-party support from Japanese devs. Sure, western support would be most welcome, but that's going to be a difficult mountain climb for Nintendo unless they knock this thing out of the park in the most impressive way imaginable.

That's true, but NDAs are so damn tight for this sucker there's no way for us to know what developers think of NX in regards to power, ease of development, etc...

You'll have to forgive me as I don't get to follow this thread as often as I'd like, but you are a developer, yes? I've assumed as much from past posts, but wasn't 100% sure. Regardless, you do seem preavy to more info than most of us and I certainly hope your comment about developer enthusiasm is quite accurate.

No not a developer, but have been in direct contact with one recently. Not going to explain but I am sure someone here can link a previous post.

Out of legal respect, don't expect too much more from me on the NX until I have been given the ok, or if Nintendo reveals it. What happened last week was treading on thin ice and I and I'm sure you, would never want a developer's project in jeopardy just because we want the info now. Nintendo is going to reveal the NX soon so I think it's worth waiting just a bit more time :)

Sadist

Regarding third parties my stance is simple; if they release games on the system I'd like to play I will buy it. It's that simple. If not, well that's too bad. With the Bandai-Namco leak from a few weeks a ago I'm kind of hoping Ni No Kuni 2 will land on NX. It's making its console debut on PS4, they never said it couldn't hit other platforms.

It won't happen I guess, but still, I'd think it would be a game that would resonate with the Nintendo audience.

thefro

Even if we discount what Trevelyan9999/SuperMetalDave is hearing, we've heard a bunch of things pointing to Japanese 3rd party support being a lot stronger for the NX than the Wii U.

I'd be happy with a Nintendo machine that has STRONG third-party support from Japanese devs. Sure, western support would be most welcome, but that's going to be a difficult mountain climb for Nintendo unless they knock this thing out of the park in the most impressive way imaginable.

They have some work to do there, but:
- Activision, Disney, Ubisoft, WB all still support the Wii U to some extent. Those relationships are pretty decent.

- Square-Enix may bring games from its Eidos side along that Nintendo historically hasn't gotten if they're bullish on the NX.

- EA is in a position where they can port 2 engines to NX and bring over most of their games. They also have the Star Wars IP licensed which is a prime fit with Nintendo's demographics.

-Take 2/ZeniMax will be tougher since they've never really supported Nintendo consoles that well, but doable.

Hermii

With the NX we hear nothing at all. No complaints, no praise.

In my opinion the reason why is a combination of tighter NDAs and few developers having kits.

Sure. There's certainly ways to make an NDA hurt more / more easily tracked to the source of the leak

Interesting.

With the NX we hear nothing at all. No complaints, no praise.

In my opinion the reason why is a combination of tighter NDAs and few developers having kits.

What can we speculate about few developers having kits? NX isn't as far along as we think and may not drop till 2017? Nintendo has a killer first party line up ready and isn't too concerned about third party stuff in the beginning?

I cannot believe how little has leaked about this system at this point. That NDA must been insane

The real question is: why? What does Nintendo hide from us and their competition which needs such an NDA? Do they have a real revolution ready to show or do they just wanna keep clear that the internet is not already saying the console is way to weak before it is even proper shown. I mean that was a big problem for the Wii U (after their horrible first reveal...).

Pinky

Banned
No not a developer, but have been in direct contact with one recently. Not going to explain but I am sure someone here can link a previous post.

Out of legal respect, don't expect too much more from me on the NX until I have been given the ok, or if Nintendo reveals it. What happened last week was treading on thin ice and I and I'm sure you, would never want a developer's project in jeopardy just because we want the info now. Nintendo is going to reveal the NX soon so I think it's worth waiting just a bit more time :)

Agreed 100%. Don't get me wrong... I'm chomping at the bit to know everything there is to know about NX, but any leaks or compromises to NDAs is not worth it and I certainly wouldn't expect anyone to put their neck on the line just so I can feel privileged to such info. :)

Soon as in before E3? :)

Spy

What I'm wondering is if those who purchased the Wii U version of a game will get some sort of discount on the inevitable NX remasters.

What I'm wondering is if those who purchased a Wii U version of a game will get some sort of discount on the inevitable NX remasters.

Why? Did anyone got a refund for The Last of Us? Uncharted? Tomb Raider? If you are lucky the games will only cost 40-50 bucks.

Banned

You're not the one under NDA though and wouldn't face any legal ramifications for saying something about the NX ;) plus you're anonymous on this forum. Of course no ones asking you what game your friend is working on or what studio. I just want to know if you have proof more devs are interested with the NX or if you just heard your dev friend say that.

Spy

Why? Did anyone got a refund for The Last of Us? Uncharted? Tomb Raider? If you are lucky the games will only cost 40-50 bucks.
There were instances where certain games were available at a discount or even free. flOw and Flower come to mind.

There were instances where certain games were available at a discount or even free. flOw and Flower come to mind.

But those were indie titles. Thought you mean titles like GTA5 or like I said TLoU. Because for a kind of the latter ones you will pay nearly the same like for a full price title.

MK_768

The real question is: why? What does Nintendo hide from us and their competition which needs such an NDA? Do they have a real revolution ready to show or do they just wanna keep clear that the internet is not already saying the console is way to weak before it is even proper shown. I mean that was a big problem for the Wii U (after their horrible first reveal...).

Who cares? If Nintendo wants to keep information close to their chest than fine. It really shouldn't matter to us. What matters is the information they tell us when they finally do. That'll dictate everything I feel. All of this speculation is meaningless in the long run.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
You're not the one under NDA though and wouldn't face any legal ramifications for saying something about the NX ;) plus you're anonymous on this forum. Of course no ones asking you what game your friend is working on or what studio. I just want to know if you have proof more devs are interested with the NX or if you just heard your dev friend say that.
That's not a guarantee for safety. Believe me.

Pinky

Banned
They have some work to do there, but:
- Activision, Disney, Ubisoft, WB all still support the Wii U to some extent. Those relationships are pretty decent.

- Square-Enix may bring games from its Eidos side along that Nintendo historically hasn't gotten if they're bullish on the NX.

- EA is in a position where they can port 2 engines to NX and bring over most of their games. They also have the Star Wars IP licensed which is a prime fit with Nintendo's demographics.

-Take 2/ZeniMax will be tougher since they've never really supported Nintendo consoles that well, but doable.

Yeah, western support is somewhat scarce, but there is some support there. Just nothing close to what Sony and Microsoft have. I don't know if we'll ever see the likes of Take Two and ZeniMax software on Nintendo's machines, but you never know. If the machine is impressive, has an intriguing hook and builds a strong install base from launch onward, anything is possible.

Thraktor

So if the NX supports Vulcan, that will be pretty good for forward compatibility right?

Yes, with a few buts and ifs. Basically if they went full-on in emulating iOS and Android and implemented the API to the letter in a fully hardware-agnostic form with no custom extensions and SPIR-V shaders, then yes. If they pre-compile the shaders (which you would usually do in a console environment to maximise performance) then you've pretty much got to stick with a GPU with the same shader ISA, or one which is a big enough jump in performance to emulate it (as with CPU emulation). There's also the possibility that they extend Vulkan with hardware specific commands for any customised hardware they add or any functionality that they don't feel can be fully exploited by Vulkan. This would again restrict the extent to which future hardware could deviate from NX while retaining BC.

Basically it's a question of how much Nintendo value performance versus how much they value portability (both for third parties porting to NX and for Nintendo running NX games on future hardware). It's a similar trade-off to the choice between a custom API and OpenGL on previous consoles, only with a much lower performance penalty for using the industry standard.

Who cares? If Nintendo wants to keep information close to their chest than fine. It really shouldn't matter to us. What matters is the information they tell us when they finally do. That'll dictate everything I feel. All of this speculation is meaningless in the long run.

Of course is the speculation meaningless but I am just a little bit excited right now because I got my hopes up that Nintendo shows us something great. Probably we should just closes this thread and come together again when they finally revealed it but the way to that day is part of the fun.

They described the idea as a new concept that they don't want the competition stealing quickly.
They also haven't formally announce it so it's best for them to announce it on their own terms and leaking something from an early dev kit which wouldn't necessarily be indicative of the final product could be harmful for the image of the device

RomanceDawn

Does anyone have any guesses as to what will become of the VC? Specifically games bought on the Wii that can't probably won't ever get Wii U upgrades?

Think we'll have to go into Wii U mode and then Wii mode? lol

:(

I'm assuming NDAs are so strong for the NX because Nintendo is fully aware the messaging around the Wii U flat out killed the console. They likely want when they reveal this thing for the marketing and messaging to be fully on point.

MK_768

Of course is the speculation meaningless but I am just a little bit excited right now because I got my hopes up that Nintendo shows us something great. Probably we should just closes this thread and come together again when they finally revealed it but the way to that day is part of the fun.

Haha trust me I'm excited too. I wanted to know everything yesterday lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom