• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheJoRu

The marketing and messaging being so poor were a factor of the console simply being ill-conceived conceptually, though.

Yes and no. I think it was more a software issue than hardware, in my opinion. The Gamepad is neat; it's big and isn't a looker, but functionally it has potential. Had they had Super Mario Maker and Minecraft Wii U Edition with well-integrated Gamepad functionality at launch things would've been different.

You would still have other problems, including price and brand confusion, but in terms of making people understand why you'd want one in the first place the Wii U would've had something. You could look at Mario Maker and how it used that screen, and you'd get it, thinking "I can't do that on my Wii". What they had instead was NSMBU which at a glance looked identical to the Wii-game and Nintendo Land which was a bit of a non-entity without the immediate appeal and simplicity of Wii Sports.

There was so much more they could've done at launch. Conceptually on a hardware level it was there, they just didn't have the software. But as mentioned, there were of course more issues than that, I only touched on one.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Has anyone already claimed that NX will have dual APUs and 12GB of RAM?

You know, the funny thing is on the hardware matter, people keep relying on the fact that SE announced that FFXIV and DQXI will/may have a NX version.
But the thing is both of these games exist for a lower class hardware. PS3 for FFXIV and 3DS for DQXI.

I think people will be pretty disappointed if NX is in fact twice... Slower... Than Xbox One. Basically I expect PS4 to be 3 times faster than NX, I believe NX home console will be in the 500 to 650 gflops range.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I think people will be pretty disappointed if NX is in fact twice... Slower... Than Xbox One. Basically I expect PS4 to be 3 times faster than NX, I believe NX home console will be in the 500 to 650 gflops range.

Are there good reasons against the conjecture that the NX home console might just have a pimped-up version (higher clock-speeds, maybe more GPU cores and memory bandwidth to support higher resolutions) of the hand-held chipset?

Thraktor

They don't need to undercut the price. They need a solid set of features on a solid set of hardware and a great marketing campaign with lots and lots of games.
And they need to profit from each console from day one.

There are many in this thread that predict a 200$ handheld. That would be horrible. It's 150$ tops and even then it's maybe too expensive for todays market.
3DS getting a price cut and NX handheld taking it's place is pretty likely imo.
300$ for the console.
They learned their lesson the hard way to not sell their consoles at a loss. Even the GCN days were profitable for them, because the console was well rounded and cheap to produce.

I don't get the "handheld has to be dirt cheap" line of thinking. The 3DS XL comfortably outsold the cheaper standard 3DS in every territory. The 3DS itself only started to see a significant boost in its baseline sales months after the price drop when MK7, SM3DL and MH3U released. People just aren't that price sensitive with consoles. If the games are there and the price isn't exorbitant, then they'll buy it. The key is just making sure the games are there. Everything else is a distant second.

Richie

Someone, hopefully, HOPEFULLY not ShockingAlberto: Ahaha

1176975.jpg

Totally ShockingAlberto:Ahaha

D'OH!

You know, the funny thing is on the hardware matter, people keep relying on the fact that SE announced that FFXIV and DQXI will/may have a NX version.
But the thing is both of these games exist for a lower class hardware. PS3 for FFXIV and 3DS for DQXI.

I expect it to be worse than PS4 hardware as well but specs that low would be absolutely pathetic. It would be borderline questionable on why even replace the Wii U at that level.

I expect it to be worse than PS4 hardware as well but specs that low would be absolutely pathetic. It would be borderline questionable on why even replace the Wii U at that level.

Because that would be 3 to 4 times faster than Wii U ? :p
Remember that it needs to be cheap and that their upcoming super gimmick is going to raise the price.

Vena

It'll be better/newer hardware, it will likely not be clocked to the same heights (and likely not need it). Jaguars are pathetically inefficient, and the next step is what the GPU solution is vs. the PS4/X1's.

Because that would be 3 to 4 times faster than Wii U ? :p
Remember that it needs to be cheap and that their upcoming super gimmick is going to raise the price.

I still say this is nonsensical, and a baseless assumption even when looking at the WiiU.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Interesting.

What can we speculate about few developers having kits? NX isn't as far along as we think and may not drop till 2017? Nintendo has a killer first party line up ready and isn't too concerned about third party stuff in the beginning?

Or NX is based off a well known architecture and has support from unity/UE4 so developers can code towards a target without devkits until the last moment

It'll be better/newer hardware, it will likely not be clocked to the same heights (and likely not need it). Jaguars are pathetically inefficient, and the next step is what the GPU solution is vs. the PS4/X1s.

I still say this is nonsensical, and a baseless assumption even when looking at the WiiU.

Its not nonsensical if they aim for a 200 dollars price point but also if they aim for high profit. The way I see it, it'll be about the games.

BY2K

Membero Americo
You know guys Alberto laughing at the rumor doesn't necessarily mean he know it's fake or false. It could just be that he thinks it's ridiculous.

Like I do.

Vena

Its not nonsensical if they aim for a 200 dollars price point but also if they aim for high profit. The way I see it, it'll be about the games.

The console won't be 200$, the handheld will be. No way they launch a self-competing price point product to confuse people even more. They will have an "low barrier" handheld and a "luxury" console. I see no basis for this idea at all.

No one's going to buy a 200$ "inferior" machine. The X1 should be evidence enough to that fact and thats with the ability to compete on third and first party standings.

Xellos

Even at 650 Gflops, the upgrade to GCN, a new 4-8 core CPU, and 6-8 GB RAM would make for a big improvement over Wii U. Wii U is really weak.

Personally, I'm hoping for 700 Gflops.

Malus

You know guys Alberto laughing at the rumor doesn't necessarily mean he know it's fake or false. It could just be that he thinks it's ridiculous.

Like I do.

Alberto's laughs have been thoroughly examined by Gaf experts.

1 ha = Amusement

2 ha's = Declaration of falsehood.

3 ha's = 1st sign of the Apocalypse.

The console won't be 200$, the handheld will be. No way they launch a self-competing price point product to confuse people even more. They will have an "low barrier" handheld and a "luxury" console.

You got a point. The console will be 300 dollars, but only because of the gimmick they'll shoehorn.
A lot of people's wishful thinking is Nintendo making a powerful console again with 3rd parties on it. Its not happening. They'll do their own thing. Now, will they do it well, such as DS, Wii, 3DS or will they fail it like Wii U ?

Vena

You got a point. The console will be 300 dollars, but only because of the gimmick they'll shoehorn.
A lot of people's wishful thinking is Nintendo making a powerful console again with 3rd parties on it. Its not happening. They'll do their own thing. Now, will they do it well, such as DS, Wii, 3DS or will they fail it like Wii U ?

I don't expect a 100$ gimmick this time around. The focus is clearly on software integration, ecosystem design, and perhaps some renovation on controller inputs. Even if they make a WiiU gamepad-lite, modern solutions with a small screen would run them ~30$ that they can sell as standalone solutions at a mark-up.

I am not even arguing about power, I am arguing that your estimates are out of this world in the entirely opposite direction and without any basis... exactly like the people who believe we're getting something NX > PS4. The best case scenario is a more efficient, lower "numerical score" console.

I don't believe any of you people and your silly sources but the dude with numbers in his name seems a pretty levelheaded dude not selling any hype or not trying too hard.

I think it says something that, assuming Nintendo doesn't shit the bed, the thought of Final Fantasy VII being on NX isn't the least plausible thing to happen.

Kimawolf

Eh PS4 isn't some all powerful thing that's dusting PCs leftcand right. It's fairly average (sloghtly below compared to modern pcs) tbh so it isn't hard for something coming a few years later to be as powerful or more in some aspects(CPU, GPU).

And the SCDs could be a wild factor here. Who knows howxot will play out.

Eh PS4 isn't some all powerful thing that's dusting PCs leftcand right. It's fairly average (sloghtly below compared to modern pcs) tbh so it isn't hard for something coming a few years later to be as powerful or more in some aspects(CPU, GPU).

Yeah, when it was rumored that the NX is more powerful than the PS4, my immediate response was "I would fucking hope so".

I don't expect a 100$ gimmick this time around. The focus is clearly on software integration, ecosystem design, and perhaps some renovation on controller inputs. Even if they make a WiiU gamepad-lite, modern solutions with a small screen would run them ~30$ that they can sell as standalone solutions at a mark-up.

I am not even arguing about power, I am arguing that your estimates are out of this world in the entirely opposite direction and without any basis... exactly like the people who believe we're getting something NX > PS4. The best case scenario is a more efficient, lower "numerical score" console.

Free form screen on the controller. Expect this thing to raise the price. Also, expect the low power consumption to be back. 3 years after PS4One is a too small gap for Nintendo to bring something on the same level of performance. It took them 6 years with Wii U to be barely on par with PS360.

Their focus is software integration but to which extent ?

In a less obnoxious way I also mentioned that I doubt the validity of the rumor, at least XV/PS4+ power.
Don't see XV being made with the given time frame they're likely going to be given and although making the system more powerful than the PS4 is very doable I'm not sure Nintendo cares enough especially if they're focused on the shared library aspect.

Yeah, expensive gimmicks hopefully don't come back. Unique input methods are welcome if they think they can improve gaming, but the gamepad didn't add enough for how expensive it made the package.

Yeah, expensive gimmicks hopefully don't come back. Unique input methods are welcome if they think they can improve gaming, but the gamepad didn't add enough for how expensive it made the package.

Gamepad wasnt a bad idea. Nintendo just was on a creativity bankrupt on Wii U. And when they had ideas, they were cautious. There were thousands of things to do with assymetrical gameplay or two screens.

Even at 650 Gflops, the upgrade to GCN, a new 4-8 core CPU, and 6-8 GB RAM would make for a big improvement over Wii U. Wii U is really weak.

Personally, I'm hoping for 700 Gflops.

I mean my question is who is the market for that? Who do they realistically expect to go out and purchase the weakest "current" console in the market 2-3 years into this generation with specs that low? I don't see how they can build a console less than 1TF but I suppose they could. Would be a gigantic mistake imo though

Vena

Free form screen on the controller. Expect this thing to raise the price. Also, expect the low power consumption to be back. 3 years after PS4One is a too small gap for Nintendo to bring something on the same level of performance. It took them 6 years with Wii U to be barely on par with PS360.

Their focus is software integration but to which extent ?

Lower power consumption definitely will NOT be back. That was a concession for the then hopeful Japanese "home" market which has completely collapsed, and since then they've been on record saying that consoles are a western product while handhelds are more conducive to Japan.

Again, no basis for these claims.

Gamepad wasnt a bad idea. Nintendo just was on a creativity bankrupt on Wii U. And when they had ideas, they were cautious. There were thousands of things to do with assymetrical gameplay or two screens.

And here we go again.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

It's a big die. Assuming Nintendo go for a single die for cost reasons, the only way they could reasonably be more powerful than PS4 would be if they went for a smaller process node with a large APU to get more transistors on. And I just can't see them being that aggressive - we still don't have big (or even medium) GPUs on 16/14nm yet.

Lower power consumption definitely will NOT be back. That was a concession for the then hopeful Japanese "home" market which has completely collapsed, and since then they've been on record saying that consoles are a western product while handhelds are more conducive to Japan.

Again, no basis for these claims.

And here we go again.

I have a basis: Iwata's claims during a QA about how mobile and home console hardware are getting closer and how they consum less power. I need to find though.

I really like the gamepad and I think it has plenty of uses thanks to being a controller that can do everything, but it likely came at the wrong time making the system considerably more expensive than it should have been.
If they want to continue with dual screen gameplay, I'd advise making games that are improved if you own both the handheld and the console.

If Nintendo are not aggressively pursuing 3rd party relationships they have learned nothing. And they cant do that with incredibly out dated hardware unless they have a major gimmick that explodes like motion controls did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom