• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have any guesses as to what will become of the VC? Specifically games bought on the Wii that can't probably won't ever get Wii U upgrades?

Think we'll have to go into Wii U mode and then Wii mode? lol

:(
I think it'll be in Nintendo's best interest to flesh out the VC more, maybe hire a new studio to deal with all the testing required.
Everything that's on Wii U will likely return, and hopefully not a year after launch, but I'd like them to bring in gamecube, Wii, 3DS, Dreamcast, Saturn, Genesis, etc.
Maybe in HD if possible. Give SEGA a good deal on that, could give NX a big step up over the competition.
I think NES likely aren't going to keep selling too much, and maybe they can make part of the VC free as part of a subscription.

Will be the first Nintendo console I've owned since the N64 , I just want new Wave Race , F-zero , Pilotwings in full glorious HD. Throw in some new Mario Kart , a 3D mario and a new Zelda adventure and I would be very happy.

maxcriden

Does anyone have any guesses as to what will become of the VC? Specifically games bought on the Wii that can't probably won't ever get Wii U upgrades?

Think we'll have to go into Wii U mode and then Wii mode? lol

:(

My prediction based on this thread sand on Nintendo's previous comments about Wii U VC:

1) you will not be able to access a Wii or Wii U mode. There will not be direct access to the Wii Shop in any way, nor Wii Shop games.

2) Wii U VC will be available either at launch or on another drip-feed. Upgrade fees or free transferability could be possible. I hope we don't get another drip feed for games already in GC, though.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
The real question is: why? What does Nintendo hide from us and their competition which needs such an NDA? Do they have a real revolution ready to show or do they just wanna keep clear that the internet is not already saying the console is way to weak before it is even proper shown. I mean that was a big problem for the Wii U (after their horrible first reveal...).

I can imagine that part of the secrecy is that they don't want to reveal anything before the start of the new fiscal year. April 1st, book that date.

You're not the one under NDA though and wouldn't face any legal ramifications for saying something about the NX ;) plus you're anonymous on this forum. Of course no ones asking you what game your friend is working on or what studio. I just want to know if you have proof more devs are interested with the NX or if you just heard your dev friend say that.

I share your interest and excitement man, I really do. I am not going to tell you to just "trust me" or anything, but that is all I am going to say. Thanks for understanding and Rösti is totally right in what he said about NDA's.

Malus

So if power was the reason the Wii U was abandoned what's to stop them from happening with the NX? I know we've had some vague tweets with "industry leading chips" and Trev's dev friend running a graphically demanding game (compared to what I have no idea, another vague statement)...

Well they weren't running it on NX and they "don't have a dev kit or details on NX specs" so...we'll see how that goes lol.

AmyS

There's no doubt that VR will suck up a huge amount of the hype this holiday. But it's going to be far more expensive, and what choice does Nintendo have?

2016: Nintendo shouldn't launch due to VR
2017: Nintendo shouldn't launch due to 2nd gen VR and new PS4/XB1 slim
2018: Nintendo shouldn't launch due to hype building for PS5 reveal / falling between generations
2019: Nintendo shouldn't launch due to PS5 / XB2 launch
2020: Nintendo shouldn't launch due to them being bankrupt due to sitting on the pot for 5 years. RIP Nintendo

...and so on and so on. There's never going to be a good time to launch when you're the underdog in a competitive market, you've just got to do it as best you can and get it over with. They can't ride 3DS and Wii U for another entire year.

Well said.

Nintendo should launch NX when they are confident about the merits of their own product and momentum of game development from 1st, 2nd and 3rd party.

They can't worry about VR or future next generation consoles.

Banned
Rösti;195662207 said:
That's not a guarantee for safety. Believe me.
How so? In Canadian law the NDA is between the one who serves it and the one who signs it. If someone tells me something about the NDA item and I say what I heard but didn't reveal the source then both of us are safe. I'm not tied to the NDA.
I share your interest and excitement man, I really do. I am not going to tell you to just "trust me" or anything, but that is all I am going to say. Thanks for understanding and Rösti is totally right in what he said about NDA's.
Oh I know I'm hyped and just want info. But the reason I asked is because your info is vague and doesn't make sense because one, it's one specific dev so how do they know that third party anticipation of Nintendo hardware development is at a higher level than Wii U, and two, you said it wasn't running on NX and they don't even have an NX dev kit yet.

I just want elaboration on the third party comment since that's a touchy subject for us Nintendo fans lol.
Well they weren't running it on NX and they "don't have a dev kit or details on NX specs" so...we'll see how that goes lol.
Exactly.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
You guys are comical if you think third parties will have a home on NX. The only thing we can "hope" for is it has an appeal so unique it sweeps the masses like Wii did (which I doubt). In relation to third parties all it will take is one failure release and we know the support will end from there. Sorry to sound negative but trying to be a realist if anything.
Erm, why not like the GC - it had ok 3rd party support and OMG 1st-party lineup.

Pinky

Banned
You guys are comical if you think third parties will have a home on NX. The only thing we can "hope" for is it has an appeal so unique it sweeps the masses like Wii did (which I doubt). In relation to third parties all it will take is one failure release and we know the support will end from there. Sorry to sound negative but trying to be a realist if anything.

I don't think anyone believes that third-parties will magically come back in droves. Like I said earlier in the thread, Nintendo is going to have to hit it out of the park in an unimaginable and unexpected way. Even then, nothing is guaranteed. Look at the Wii.

More juicy Trev rumors: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDWlNBk9eow

-FFXV and Remake coming to NX
-NX more powerful than PS4
-Take with a grain of salt because he's not as sure of this source as he was with the last one.
Like, I can see FVII Remake, but I'm having trouble seeing FFXV...at least at the game's launch.
They really need to spend a lot of time working on the PS4 and X1 ports and I don't think they'll use the engine for anything else so maybe it's not worth bringing over

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
How so? In Canadian law the NDA is between the one who serves it and the one who signs it. If someone tells me something about the NDA item and I say what I heard but didn't reveal the source then both of us are safe. I'm not tied to the NDA.
Legally you are safe.

thefro

I know he isn't even the source for this but has the guy himself got good credentials when it comes to this?

He said in the video to take this as purely a rumor but the person who told him this has given him info in the past that has turned out to be correct.

Vena

Like, I can see FVII Remake, but I'm having trouble seeing FFXV...at least at the game's launch.
They really need to spend a lot of time working on the PS4 and X1 ports and I don't think they'll use the engine for anything else so maybe it's not worth bringing over

Depends on what Luminous is being hitched on with the console optimization. It is potentially possible that whatever hardware Nintendo is bringing to the table, some of the bottlenecks/hitches of the Sucky Laptop Twins are solved and the port is actually easier.

That is assuming you believe this.

Malus

I know he isn't even the source for this but has the guy himself got good credentials when it comes to this?

I haven't really followed Supermetaldave until recently. Supposedly he's been right about some things and wrong about others.

...so basically who the fuck knows lol.

maxcriden

Erm, why not like the GC - it had ok 3rd party support and OMG 1st-party lineup.

Is GCN widely considered to have an excellent FP lineup? I know Smash and GX were acclaimed but...I'm struggling to think what else was. The mainline Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart and games like Eternal Darkness and Luigi's Mansion were mostly polarizing. In a way I think of GCN as Nintendo's zaniest and most experimental platforms, not in terms of controls but in terms of what the actual games were.

Is GCN widely considered to have an excellent FP lineup? I know Smash and GX were acclaimed but...I'm struggling to think what else was. The mainline Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart and games like Eternal Darkness and Luigi's Mansion were mostly polarizing. In a way I think of GCN as Nintendo's zaniest and most experimental platforms, not in terms of controls but in terms of what the actual games were.

GCN is definitely a console that's looked on more fondly by its diehard fans than it could even possibly be by the general gamer population.

Nintendo COULD launch a console more powerful than PS4 at $299 in Holiday 2016. Hardware wise its totally feasible. That said this is Nintendo. I'll believe such a thing when I see it.

maxcriden

GCN is definitely a console that's looked on more fondly by its diehard fans than it could even possibly be by the general gamer population.

I love TWW as much as the next guy (in this case, that next guy is you) and in currently gaining a much greater appreciation for Pikmin than I ever had before. But I do think of many GCN games as some of most outré mainline console games Nintendo ever released. Including TWW by art style alone. But more in terms of gameplay for stuff like Double Dash, Pikmin, Sunshine and others.

Banned
smh @ more powerful than ps4. I'll believe it when I see it...but can you imagine what WaveRace NX would look like on a thing like that? whew.
Lets waste power on a wave racer lol. Ain't no market for that shit anymore. Not a AAA one at least. The dream is dead.

GameCube is my favourite nintendo console. All it was missing for me was xenosaga, final fantasy and metal gear. Oh and GTA.

Malus

smh @ more powerful than ps4. I'll believe it when I see it...but can you imagine what WaveRace NX would look like on a thing like that? whew.

Ahhhh....I can see it now...

17mz9vycz95prjpg.jpg

I love TWW as much as the next guy (in this case, that next guy is you) and in currently gaining a much greater appreciation for Pikmin than I ever had before. But I do think of many GCN games as some of most outré mainline console games Nintendo ever released. Including TWW by art style alone. But more in terms of gameplay for stuff like Double Dash, Pikmin, Sunshine and others.

Yeah, for sure. I'm a big fan of GCN's output myself, even; I just think much of what was done there had no business trying to carry a platform. TWW would have made a nice "extra" Zelda game alongside the popular behemoth TP wound up being, for example; likewise for Sunshine as an off-year 3D Mario game (a la SMB2 USA).

Even a game like Pikmin, which while it wasn't hugely popular doesn't appear to have been outright repulsive to people's perceptions of Nintendo's library on GameCube, was mostly riding on the coattails of more popular stuff like Luigi's Mansion and Smash.

I also really adore the new Zelda's art style, but I can't shake the feeling that it's not going to do the series any favors (particularly the character art/graphics; the world itself looks pretty beautiful) given how it's ceded so much ground (market share and mindshare) to other popular open-world fantasy games.

Pinky

Banned
Lets waste power on a wave racer lol. Ain't no market for that shit anymore. Not a AAA one at least.

But can you imagine how amazing the water would look? :O Shit, I'm still impressed by the water effects in Super Mario Sunshine. Imagine Nintendo Water™ on NX!

Lets waste power on a wave racer lol. Ain't no market for that shit anymore. Not a AAA one at least. The dream is dead.

GameCube is my favourite nintendo console. All it was missing for me was xenosaga, final fantasy and metal gear. Oh and GTA.
Thanks to NX I think a lot of these smaller franchises have a bigger shot at coming back
Nintendo COULD launch a console more powerful than PS4 at $299 in Holiday 2016. Hardware wise its totally feasible. That said this is Nintendo. I'll believe such a thing when I see it.
I think if they want to achieve a good price they need to have a subscription service to help with the costs.
If they make a $20 profit off the handheld and a subscription service they could break even relatively quickly if they're taking a $50 loss

Rodin

Yup. FFVIIR, as long as the NX is in the same ballpark as the other consoles, is pretty much a given considering N and SE relationship and Nintendo sales in Japan (there's more audience even in the western markets compared to xbox one for this type of games imho). But XV could be a problem due to Luminous, and SE already "promised" an xbone version so i doubt they can cancel it at this point to prioritize NX. Maybe if the game will come to PC after the console debut they will have an NX version too, but i find it a bit unlikely.
We've been over this, a stronger console than PS4 at a lower price point than PS4 is difficult to make. Maybe if they get cheaper ram, no disc (vs blu ray in the ps4) and arm a57/72 costs less than jaguar they can put a 2tflops gcn 1.2 gpu in there and have an overall stronger console to sell at a small loss (covered by software) at launch, but will they go that way? Will they have an expensive gimmick or it will be something done via software? It's very difficult to predict at this point.
Ahhhh....I can see it now...

17mz9vycz95prjpg.jpg
You should have used the pic with reggie playing it at e3
But can you imagine how amazing the water would look? :O Shit, I'm still impressed by the water effects in Super Mario Sunshine. Imagine Nintendo Water™ on NX!
Considering that WR64 and Blue Storm still have the best and most advanced wave physics in gaming, yes, that would be pretty insane.

Josh5890

Then let Shin'en make a new Wave Race! Their F-Zero game
Fast Racing Neo
came out two months ago and it is a blast to play! I would love to see them make a Wave Race.

We've been over this, a stronger console than PS4 at a lower price point than PS4 is difficult to make. Maybe if they get cheaper ram, no disc (vs blu ray in the ps4) and arm a57/72 costs less than jaguar they can have a 2tflops gpu and have an overall stronger console to sell at a small loss (covered by software) at launch, but will they go that way? Will they have an expensive gimmick or it will be something done via software? It's very difficult to predict at this point.

PS4 will be $299 or less this holiday. Nintendo could launch a system with a small loss at $299 that it outright more powerful than PS4. That small hit could be easily made up for with the sale of 1 1st party title or accessory at launch.

That said I fully expect NX to be weaker

QaaQer

I'm assuming NDAs are so strong for the NX because Nintendo is fully aware the messaging around the Wii U flat out killed the console. They likely want when they reveal this thing for the marketing and messaging to be fully on point.

It was an unappealing product, blaming its failure solely on marketing would be unfortunate.

Malus

It was an unappealing product, blaming its failure solely on marketing would be unfortunate.

That first tv commercial for Wii U was abysmal. The bad "we're hip with the kids" dubstep, failed recreation of the 'Wii would like to play' thing with the families playing in a living room, and NSMBU as the centerpiece, a game that could hardly be distinguished from its predecessor. Sheesh.

There were other problems but those ads man.

I haven't really followed Supermetaldave until recently. Supposedly he's been right about some things and wrong about others.

...so basically who the fuck knows lol.

Kevin Cassidy mentioned that I'm right 9/10 times but he may have been unsure about something I sent him in the past if it came directly from me or not. Personally I know I haven't been wrong about anything that I have posted that comes directly from me and when I have said it was the truth.

When I post rumors that I hear from an indirect source (like FFVII & FFXV coming to NX) that is a different story and I don't claim to be correct on it since it does not originate with me. This is also why I don't post that stuff here because it's just a rumor.

I think FFVII Remake has the best chance of getting ported to the NX, but FFXV is also getting a release on Xbox One, so why not both? Depending on when Square-Enix releases the game of course.

Marketing and messaging killed Wii Us sales more than any other factor
True enough. Those early ports painted it as weaker and more expensive than 8 year old systems at the time and Nintendo's messaging didn't help.
3DS's situation didn't instill a lot of confidence in consumers either.
The problem with Wii U is that Nintendo wanted everyone but made a product for no one.
It's ok if it's cheaper or more expensive but the value needs to be there.
Nintendo also didn't have enough sources of revenue like Sony and MS to undercut the price. Hopefully, with mobile, amiibo, licensing, and a shared library that will change.
I personally think it would be wise to market Nintendo as a product for everyone but make the handheld and the console for those different markets.
The casuals likely won't buy the console anymore so don't make it with them in mind.
The portable could be for those willing to spend less on gaming or that need a second console.
Potentially the best of both worlds and better than making two expensive products and only one kind of working out

Then let Shin'en make a new Wave Race! Their F-Zero game
Fast Racing Neo
came out two months ago and it is a blast to play! I would love to see them make a Wave Race.

I imagine it would turn out like the jet ski racing from that Dead or Alive Resort game or whatever it was on 360.

This. I remember how many non gamers thought the tablet was for the Wii. So much confusion amongst consumers.

Like, even paper ads for it had it listed as "Wii" not "Wii U."

When a segment of Wii owners 4 years later still has no idea that a successor to their console is out you have a serious problem

deleted

True enough. Those early ports painted it as weaker and more expensive than 8 year old systems at the time and Nintendo's messaging didn't help.
3DS's situation didn't instill a lot of confidence in consumers either.
The problem with Wii U is that Nintendo wanted everyone but made a product for no one.
It's ok if it's cheaper or more expensive but the value needs to be there.
Nintendo also didn't have enough sources of revenue like Sony and MS to undercut the price. Hopefully, with mobile, amiibo, licensing, and a shared library that will change.
I personally think it would be wise to market Nintendo as a product for everyone but make the handheld and the console for those different markets.
The casuals likely won't buy the console anymore so don't make it with them in mind.
The portable could be for those willing to spend less on gaming or that need a second console.
Potentially the best of both worlds and better than making two expensive products and only one kind of working out

They don't need to undercut the price. They need a solid set of features on a solid set of hardware and a great marketing campaign with lots and lots of games.
And they need to profit from each console from day one.

There are many in this thread that predict a 200$ handheld. That would be horrible. It's 150$ tops and even then it's maybe too expensive for todays market.
3DS getting a price cut and NX handheld taking it's place is pretty likely imo.
300$ for the console.
They learned their lesson the hard way to not sell their consoles at a loss. Even the GCN days were profitable for them, because the console was well rounded and cheap to produce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom