• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdanVC

I was planning to buy a PS4 exclusively to play FFXV but with that rumor I might just wait until NX is revealed. It would be awesome to have a main FF game in a Nintendo platform. It's been a while. Just remember that Cloud is in Smash so anything is possible now.

This rumour tennis is proper wanky, especially with all the scoffing and vague remarks. I know it's part of the game but it kills the vibe, especially when you take a retort as final.

WadeitOut

I love the gamepad. But the money you can put into the actual console when you also provide a tablet controller like that means you are going to have specs far lower than your competition. Which in turn hurts it with third party development.

Malus

I don't believe any of you people and your silly sources but the dude with numbers in his name seems a pretty levelheaded dude not selling any hype or not trying too hard.

All I will say is that developer interest is far higher in NX than Wii U was at this stage,

looking.gif

Hype cometh.

He is definitely a cut above some of the 'drive-by' rumor people we see here on Gaf every so often who have 1 rumor to share with no backing, never to be heard from again.

Yeah, when it was rumored that the NX is more powerful than the PS4, my immediate response was "I would fucking hope so".

Yeah early on I was expecting it to be more powerful than PS4, or at least what Wii U is to PS360. Gaf is pulling me down to earth though with all this 'could be less powerful than Xbone' stuff.

Just show me 3D Mario Nintendo, and all this power speculation stuff will melt away.

If Nintendo are not aggressively pursuing 3rd party relationships they have learned nothing. And they cant do that with incredibly out dated hardware unless they have a major gimmick that explodes like motion controls did.

It still doesn't matter.

The key is to get gamers/consumers to BUY these third party games on a Nintendo console.

That's Nintendo's biggest hurdle.

It still doesn't matter.

The key is to get gamers/consumers to BUY these third party games on a Nintendo console.

That's Nintendo's biggest hurdle.

Very true. If Nintendo are really set on staying in the hardware industry they need robust online, good account management, etc. Its a big hurdle especially with how they've designed systems in the past and their stubbornness to stick to their ways.

Its a major uphill battle and I hope the best for them

Banned
Übermatik;195684323 said:
This rumour tennis is proper wanky, especially with all the scoffing and vague remarks. I know it's part of the game but it kills the vibe, especially when you take a retort as final.

Well the one who made the retort has a credible history, and has hinted in the past that the NX was going the cheaper route (catering to indies, mobile games and Nintendo first party games) with a $199-250 price tag.

I'll put it this way.

The veteran insiders from past Nintendo threads have leaned more towards the side of the NX being weaker than the laptop twins but with a better hook than the gamepad, and a better price point, aiming to have a consistent flow of games that can be supported by Nintendo and indies alone.

The newer insiders who don't have as large of a track record or have a smaller audience somehow get these big scoops, and all lean towards the NX being more powerful than the laptop twins and getting third party support. Nintendo fan pipe dreams being realized basically.

As much as I want and ask for Nintendo to go back to the gamecube days of competing in the spec wars and being powerful enough to run the latest engines and AAA games, I have come to accept the fact that Nintendo just isn't doing that anymore.

Well the one who made the retort has a credible history, and has hinted in the past that the NX was going the cheaper route (catering to indies, mobile games and Nintendo first party games) with a $199-250 price tag.

I'll put it this way.

The veteran insiders from past Nintendo threads have leaned more towards the side of the NX being weaker than the laptop twins but with a better hook than the gamepad, and a better price point, aiming to have a consistent flow of games that can be supported by Nintendo and indies alone.

As much as I want and ask for Nintendo to go back to the gamecube days of competing in the spec wars and being powerful enough to run the latest engines and AAA games, I have come to accept the fact that Nintendo just isn't doing that anymore.

I mean I guess thats possible. Thats a cheap business model they could probably ride on. They wont ever compete with the other 2 console manufacturers with a strategy like that but they also wont have as high of an overhead cost.

JayDotZee

Banned
So, let me get this straight:

Rumor: Nintendo NX probably maybe perhaps not as powerful as Xbox One, says someone somewhere.

Gaf: "I knew it, Nintendo never learns, worst console ever, Nintendo doomed!"

Rumor: Nintendo NX maybe more powerful than PS4, says guy with some previous good sources.

Gaf: "Hahahahahaha, yeah, right, get out fanboy!"

All we are missing is "Gaming website": Nintendo NX is probably a console and may play games from optical and/or internal medium
Gaf: "MEGATON REVELATION!"

AdanVC

Rumor: Nintendo NX probably maybe perhaps not as powerful as Xbox One, says someone somewhere.

Rumor: Nintendo NX maybe more powerful than PS4, says guy with some previous good sources.

All we are missing is "Gaming website": Nintendo NX is probably a console and may play games from optical and/or internal medium

So true.

Banned
The E3 third party developer testimonials montage is going to be even sweeter this time.
Bethesda, EA, 2k, Take-Two!!!!!

*seven months later*

GTA V Armored Edition
Fallout 4 Gold Edition
NBA 2k16 with 2k15 engine
Borderlands Handsome collection (ported from Vita code)

Nintendo would be stupid if they talked substantially about third parties like they did last time. They made themselves look like complete dummies in hindsight.
Nintendo has made themselves look like fools the entire E3 era from E3 2011 to now.
I mean I guess thats possible. Thats a cheap business model they could probably ride on. They wont ever compete with the other 2 console manufacturers with a strategy like that but they also wont have as high of an overhead cost.
See, Nintendo doesn't think they are in the same industry as the laptop twins and isn't competing with them. They're not trying to win, they're trying to be profitable and make money. Even when the gamecube came last place it was profitable from day one and made more money for them than the Xbox did for Microsoft.

Of course I'm sure with the NX they're aiming for a lot more units to be sold (80+ million of the handheld and console combined at minimum).

Either way it's time for Nintendo to shit or get off the pot.

Don't do this. Please.

I'll put it this way.

The newer insiders who don't have as large of a track record or have a smaller audience somehow get these big scoops, and all lean towards the NX being more powerful than the laptop twins and getting third party support. Nintendo fan pipe dreams being realized basically.

All that was basically said was that they aren't competing with PS4 on power, but at the same time, they aren't intentionally gimping the console. We know nothing about price or 3rd party relations.

See, Nintendo doesn't think they are in the same industry as the laptop twins and isn't competing with them. They're not trying to win, they're trying to be profitable and make money. Even when the gamecube came last place it was profitable from day one and made more money for them than the Xbox did for Microsoft.

Of course I'm sure with the NX they're aiming for a lot more units to be sold (80+ million of the handheld and console combined at minimum).

Either way it's time for Nintendo to shit or get off the pot.

Yeah I get that, its just they will not move many home console units at all with that strategy. Xbox, Playstation, and PC all have indies and GameCube and Wii U show how small Nintendo's "core market" actually is. Which if they plan on going super streamlined and cheap it likely doesn't matter too much how many they sell.

Xellos

I mean my question is who is the market for that? Who do they realistically expect to go out and purchase the weakest "current" console in the market 2-3 years into this generation with specs that low? I don't see how they can build a console less than 1TF but I suppose they could. Would be a gigantic mistake imo though

NX will probably have a differentiating factor (gimmick) and be cheaper than XB1/PS4. I agree that simply offering a less powerful console would be a losing strategy (unless it's really, really cheap).

Malus

Nintendo has made themselves look like fools the entire E3 era from E3 2011 to now.

E3 2014 was great, and 2013 had great games though it wasn't super entertaining and it had really bad streaming problems lol.

And I think E3 2015 wasn't nearly as bad as-bahahahaha couldn't do it. I've still got emotional scars from that E3.

Rodin

Free form screen on the controller. Expect this thing to raise the price. Also, expect the low power consumption to be back.3 years after PS4One is a too small gap for Nintendo to bring something on the same level of performance. It took them 6 years with Wii U to be barely on par with PS360.

Uh, Wii U is in the same ballpark (and not barely, lmao, but in the highest end of it) as PS360 because of many reasons that were discussed so many times that i really didn't think we had to go through that again in 2016.

1) the Wii U gamepad was very expensive, probably way more than anything they can come up with this time (even free form display, which we don't even know IF they'll really use, what kind of display it would be or how expensive its "variants" can be).

2) they chose to have a lag-free controller with a screen on it, Wii native BC, the lowest power consumption possible AND the smallest box possible, and designed the entire hardware around these 4 (dumb) guidelines. That means they had to go with extremely customized hardware, produced by 4 different manufacturers, and i don't have to tell you how much these things (PLUS the gamepad itself) raised costs, but i'll do it anyway: the Wii U was sold for 350$ AT LOSS. None of these things are going to return this time, except maybe for a screen in the controller (except this time would probably be smaller, and they don't have to develop the streaming tech again). Did they talk about low power consumption again? Yes. But even 50-70W fits that description, it doesn't need to be a laughable 33W again (and the console you're proposing would probably be close to half that anyway).

3) even if they used semi-custom hardware and ditched the gamepad idea, do you HONESTLY believe that they had the teams to go from GC-Wii development to almost-ps4-xbone-current PCs? Have you already forgotten how software droughts plagued the entire Wii U generation? The countless statements about them underestimating the kind of manpower HD development required? Or that the Wii U's GPU was the first time they used programmable shaders, because they used TEV UNITS before that? They still went for a massive jump compared to their previous console. They started getting used to HD development, expanded their teams etc, but they got there gradually. Yes, they made a lot of stupid mistakes in the process, but thinking they could just make a 100x jump in horsepower compared to the previous gen and call it a day is just asinine.

This time we have very good reasons to believe they went with a semi-custom AMD APU, they unified their development teams and are used to HD development (and modern GPUs in general). Again, i don't have to tell you how different this is from the start of the Wii U era, right?

And like i said countless times, i still expect the NX to be slower than the Xbox One, and i explained why, but you're just making baseless assumptions "because Nintendo". I just think you got burned way too much by the Wii U speculation and how the console turned out to be, and now you're shooting for lower than the lowest specs possible to prevent that from happening again.

And who knows, maybe at the end of the day they'll really go with the laughably shitty hardware you're proposing, and that not even Kimishima would buy for his grankids, but we don't have anything at the moment that gives credit to that line of thinking, in fact i find it just as delusional as people who think that the NX will be way more powerful than PS4 and Xbox One combined.

thefro

All that was basically said was that they aren't competing with PS4 on power, but at the same time, they aren't intentionally gimping the console. We know nothing about price or 3rd party relations.

I recall Tamaki walking that back and saying he was just told that Nintendo doesn't set out only to compete with the other consoles on power and that they weren't making the NX intentionally weak.

The first part of that is something Iwata said for years.

Vena

Yeah I get that, its just they will not move many home console units at all with that strategy. Xbox, Playstation, and PC all have indies and GameCube and Wii U show how small Nintendo's "core market" actually is. Which if they plan on going super streamlined and cheap it likely doesn't matter too much how many they sell.

Cheap is going to be for the handheld (low barrier, more approachable for many of the casual audience, etc). I can't see them actually launching a cheap console, that basically gives it zero differentiation from ANYTHING on the market, including their own handheld.

Not even Nintendo would launch their console at a price match (or even within 50$) with their own alternative hardware. This is not only stupid, its illogical.

The DS launched at 150$USD, the Wii (a pair of gamecubes) launched at 250$.

Banned
Well we know some western pubs, one of two major ones, didn't have dev kits up until US thanksgiving.

We know Square has some since they "announced" all those DQ games.

We know about "industry leading chips".

We know they blatantly aren't gimping it.

But it's too vague to put a label on how powerful it is or if third parties are in this time.

I think their plan is to be so cheap that it becomes an impulse buy with a unique hook and people will scoop it up as a secondary console for those Nintendo exclusives (see Wii or $99 Gamecube)
Eh, E3 2015 wasn't great for Nintendo. But their presence at E3 2014 took a big steaming shit on everything else--they owned it that year.
????

Now we're entering into weird bizarre alternate realities.
My comment was more in reference too sitting there while the Wii U was burning to the ground and not releasing games for it. Being tone deaf (metroid federation force when they were teasing Metroid for so long). Or not having an account system day 1 on the Wii U. Not reacting fast enough and price cutting when necessary. They've been reactive instead of proactive. It wasn't in reference to E3's or directs.

Cheap is going to be for the handheld (low barrier, more approachable for many of the casual audience, etc). I can't see them actually launching a cheap console, that basically gives it zero differentiation from ANYTHING on the market, including their own handheld.

Not even Nintendo would launch their console at a price match with their own alternative hardware. This is not only stupid, its illogical.

The DS launched at 150$USD, the Wii (a pair of gamecubes) launches at 250$.

Yeah I still stand by at least 1TF at $299 at launch. Maybe I'm totally wrong on that but I just dont see how anything less is viable.

Vena

Yeah I still stand by at least 1TF at $299 at launch. Maybe I'm totally wrong on that but I just dont see how anything less is viable.

The change in architecture and chipset production (and possibly even going down to low finFET, though I still find it unlikely) is going to make that TF measurement completely meaningless as it is a non-normalized metric. As I said, expect something that is numerically inferior to potentially even both X1 and PS4 but (potentially much) more efficient and without some of the problems plaguing the twins (CPU bottlenecks, bad RAM allocations/pools in the X1, etc).

The real big question that Nintendo has to answer (and Vulkan to some degree is doing that already in a highly good light) is what their software solutions for internal and external development and tools is going to look like. The WiiU was a trainwreck out of the gate with undecipherable garbage dev tools and guides/documentation. This has obviously improved tremendously since then but the initial outing was a disaster.

The WiiU was too hard to make work and to work with for it to be worth supporting, especially with its lagging adoption and narrow audience. No amount of power was going to save it.

The change in architecture and chipset production (and possibly even going down to low finFET, though I still find it unlikely) is going to make that TF measurement completely meaningless as it is a non-normalized metric. As I said, expect something that is numerically inferior to potentially even both X1 and PS4 but (potentially much) more efficient and without some of the problems plaguing the twins (CPU bottlenecks, bad RAM allocations/pools in the X1, etc).

The real big question that Nintendo has to answer (and Vulkan to some degree is doing that already in a highly good light) is what their software solutions for internal and external development and tools is going to look like. The WiiU was a trainwreck out of the gate with undecipherable garbage dev tools and guides.

True true. Even if they dont get to 1TF they can have other improvements like CPU and better RAM set ups. I just can't get behind the idea of an ultra cheap, ultra weak console. I just don't see any demand in the market for that.

I recall Tamaki walking that back and saying he was just told that Nintendo doesn't set out only to compete with the other consoles on power and that they weren't making the NX intentionally weak.

Well, I kind of combined quotes from two different sources myself, but they seem to agree. Liam Tamaki Robertson actually went into further detail on a podcast and made it pretty clear not to expect the hardware to match or exceed PS4.

Now, how strong does a console need to be in order to "compete"? That's open to interpretation.

statham

Most XBO games now are atleast 900p, IF NX does happen to be weaker but can still play 3rd party games at 720p, I don't think many would mind. I do hope its stronger, either way, I registered my name on nintendo and am highly excited to see what it is.

Malus

Most XBO games now are atleast 900p, IF NX does happen to be weaker but can still play 3rd party games at 720p, I don't think many would mind. I do hope its stronger, either way, I registered my name on nintendo and am highly excited to see what it is.

I really couldn't care less about resolution tbh. Maybe if I had a gigantic tv I could tell the difference but for now eh.

Vena

True true. Even if they dont get to 1TF they can have other improvements like CPU and better RAM set ups. I just can't get behind the idea of an ultra cheap, ultra weak console. I just don't see any demand in the market for that.

This is what I expect them to bring to market. A middle of the road "numerical" console but one that has advantages of its own from the benefits of newer production and not being straddled with a Jaguar APU (a lot will also ride on how they structure their RAM as Nintendo loves having small, fast-access RAM pools, and what they do with the GPU). Nintendo's first party solutions will likely all run 1080p/30 or 60FPS. There's nary a reason for them not to if they can do what they do with the WiiU at 720p.

That can be the differentiator for "strength" if it comes to it. Of course, it would be funny if Nintendo did make a powerful machine and resurrected the "now you're playing with power" line but I don't expect it, at all.

Banned
I'll take 900p third party ports. It's better then 0p and no ports lol. The XB1 is great and having that level of power without needing to dedicate so much to Kinect and the OS would leave more room for the NX to work with.

I'm done with 720p though. It looks like ass on my 1080p 47" tv lol.

Rodin

Tamaki doesn't really know anything, but even if he had a credible source for this he probably got a vague statement that could be about the handheld. Aside from that, we already knew that Nintendo wouldn't want to compete with the other two, but that hasn't necessarily anything to do with hardware.

Don't expect miracles from efficiency going from Cape Verde to Tonga. A 1tflop Tonga GPU in the NX would be within spitting distance from Xbox One, better RAM configuration (and slightly more CPU performances) would definitely help, but more powerful GPU wise? Nah. Not the same situation as WiiU's heavily customized RV7*0 (with something borrowed from VLIW4) vs AMD X1000 (with something borrowed from HD2000) and Nvidia gimped series 7000.

The real big question that Nintendo has to answer (and Vulkan to some degree is doing that already in a highly good light) is what their software solutions for internal and external development and tools is going to look like. The WiiU was a trainwreck out of the gate with undecipherable garbage dev tools and guides.
Same API (Vulkan), SDK, tools etc. and similar RAM configuration is all they need i think. Same CPU architecture will be a nice surplus if they go with ARM for both consoles.

This is what I expect them to bring to market. A middle of the road "numerical" console but one that has advantages of its own from the benefits of newer production and not being straddled with a Jaguar APU (a lot will also ride on how they structure their RAM as Nintendo loves having small, fast-access RAM pools, and what they do with the GPU). Nintendo's first party solutions will likely all run 1080p/30 or 60FPS. There's nary a reason for them not to if they can do what they do with the WiiU at 720p.

That can be the differentiator for "strength" if it comes to it. Of course, it would be funny if Nintendo did make a powerful machine and resurrected the "now you're playing with power" line but I don't expect it, at all.

Oh I dont expect major strength but even my given 1TF option isn't even powerful. Thats low end in modern GPU tech.

antonz

If they cant achieve at least parity with what's already out there they have failed miserably and will get shit all for support. Nintendo magic here and there to supposedly address deficiencies etc are not going to cut it.

The age of Developers and Publishers going out of their way is over.

Vena

Don't expect miracles from efficiency going from Cape Verde to Tonga. A 1tflop Tonga GPU in the NX would be within spitting distance from Xbox One, better RAM configuration (and slightly more CPU performances) would definitely help, but more powerful GPU wise? Nah. Not the same situation as WiiU's heavily customized RV7*0 (with something borrowed from VLIW4) vs AMD X1000 (with something borrowed from HD2000) and Nvidia gimped series 7000.

Same API (Vulkan), SDK, tools etc. and similar RAM configuration is all they need i think. Same CPU architecture will be a nice surplus if they go with ARM for both consoles.

I'm not, haha. Which is why I said it depends a lot on what they choose and I honestly have no idea what they will choose (for RAM or GPU or a lot of things really). Just musing over what potential advantages they will bring to the table outside of "not a pile of shit" for their CPU.

AdanVC

FFXV and Remake are ported to NX and they offer some kewl Mario outfits for Cloud and Noctis.

important edit: And Waluigi

maxcriden

Can't Wii U probably play most XB1 games at 720? Or am I way off there?

With a big enough installbase, I imagine SE, and a lot of major 3rd parties would attempt to make something for the platform. I'd like to discuss downgrading or porting to the handheld for a bit. I'm not sure if anyone could provide an example of the same game running on the same engine looking considerably better on one platform than another but it's interesting to think about.
If the porting of assets and engines is easy enough, even if the Wii U is weaker than the X1 maybe developers would put more work into NX in order to get the portable ports up and running. And no, I'm not suggesting that the devs be forced to make a portable port, but how easy/hard would it be.
I know Treyarch recreated a lot of CoD games for the Wii since it sold so well, maybe they could do the same for the NX or port the multiplatfrom version to the console and downgrade the assets to run at a decent clip on the portable.
They never ported anything to the 3DS despite its large installbase (it's around the size of PS4+X1+WiiU, or at least was at one point last year) but if this shared ecosystems could facilitate that it could provide a big incentive to. Maybe that's why SE is more positive about NX than they were with NX where the only ported one game (a wii game) and didn't even consider Tomb Raider.
Kingdom Hearts a very sizable audience on Nintendo platforms, handhelds specifically. I imagine downporting it to there would be somewhat doable and would be a big benefit. Dragon Quest XI HD on the portable would be great as well, would give the massive portable audience a reason to double dip when they get the NX.
Tecmo likely wants to bring more titles to a 3DS like installbase in japan but there isn't one that can run their titles properly if Hyrule Warriors Legends is any indication.
So am I off in thinking that being able to port assets easily would facilitate in creating these portable versions?
What games do you guys think would benefit (sales-wise) from a port while being realistically doable?

Can't Wii U probably play most XB1 games at 720? Or am I way off there?
with enough work you can downgrade most games to run on almost anything, sure.

Malus

FFXV and Remake are ported to NX and they offer some kewl Mario outfits for Cloud and Noctis.

important edit: And Waluigi

Yoshi outfit or no buy.

Square Enix: "But we've put in tons of effort to create the most ambitious FF title yet and bring it to Ninten-"

NO BUY

with enough work you can downgrade most games to run on almost anything, sure.

Yeah but it'd be more than a resolution downgrade.

Tamaki doesn't really know anything, but even if he had a credible source for this he probably got a vague statement that could be about the handheld. Aside from that, we already knew that Nintendo wouldn't want to compete with the other two, but that hasn't necessarily anything to do with hardware.

If I recall correctly, Alberto's source said the same thing about Nintendo not making an intentionally weak system.

antonz

If I recall correctly, Alberto's source said the same thing about Nintendo not making an intentionally weak system.

The thing about a comment like that is it means little really. if Nintendo has a goal of say keeping it X Amount of heat and power usage. Then when they reach X they achieve what they can achieve. They didn't set out to make it weak they set out to reach X. Its just an unfortunate side effect X limits them to such a degree.

We didn't plan to be XYZ its just our plan for W meant we could only achieve XYZ.

If Nintendo half asses it again it will be Wii U all over again.

I'll put it this way.

This isn't an attack against SA. For what's it worth I trust him, but the tone and delivery of his (on occasions) and other's replies to these 'external' rumours often reeks of petty arrogance, for want of a better phrase.

Put it this way, I'd rather take "hmh" or whatever it was, and that's saying something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom