• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hermii

This gen consoles may stay longer but their successors will be released very soon. They used PC architecture for a reason, so they can offer backwards compatibility like PC with the successors. Hardcore base will update their systems to catch up with VR/Next gen graphics and mainstream will keep using PS4/Xbone because 3rd party will release both versions of their games and might convert to PS5/XBOX2 slowly depending on the games.
Do you have a source for this?

PS4 delivered at least twice the amount of ram people expected. I doubt we're going to get any more than that on NX.

My comment on RAM was directly referring to the Xbone and the pretty terrible method with which it handles its ESRAM. The NX just having a unified GDDR5 RAM pool would be a huge improvement over the Bones set up

mrklaw

MrArseFace
My comment on RAM was directly referring to the Xbone and the pretty terrible method with which it handles its ESRAM. The NX just having a unified GDDR5 RAM pool would be a huge improvement over the Bones set up

Ah.

But I thought Nintendo liked esram/edram? They might still go that route?

Peru

Not sure if this has been posted: http://www.ibtimes.co.in/nintendo-nx-release-unlikely-2016-due-vr-development-market-research-firm-667347

At this point I don't care when it releases but I've been banking on 2017 for a long time against all odds that NX gaf insists their non existent fantasy will come out this year that I want this so I can be vindicated.

The analyst comments were posted several times. They're simply opinions and certainly not a reason to say anything about the likelihood of release.

The_Lump

Banned
Mmh if the Wii was able to support modern HD engines it would have gotten AAA third party support. Publishers don't ignore install bases. If the NX is selling decently its first year it'll get third party support.

Pffft, this aint no business decision. Nintendo has a magical voodoo curse which means no matter what they produce, no matter how many people have bought it, no matter the specs; 3rd parties will ignore it.

Not sure if this has been posted: http://www.ibtimes.co.in/nintendo-nx-release-unlikely-2016-due-vr-development-market-research-firm-667347

At this point I don't care when it releases but I've been banking on 2017 for a long time against all odds that NX gaf insists their non existent fantasy will come out this year that I want this so I can be vindicated.

It's been posted, discussed and spat out several times ;)

I've never seen a console planned for release that didn't have a ton of details leaked a year before release. Either its not planned for this year or no one is working on it now. I don't buy into this "magic NDA" or random posters' friends with Intel and don't see how Nintendo's NDA would be dramatically different from any other console manufacturer. So I'm with you.

This gen consoles may stay longer but their successors will be released very soon. They used PC architecture for a reason, so they can offer backwards compatibility like PC with the successors. Hardcore base will update their systems to catch up with VR/Next gen graphics and mainstream will keep using PS4/Xbone because 3rd party will release both versions of their games and might convert to PS5/XBOX2 slowly depending on the games.

This is a lot of speculation with very little to back it up... Similar hardware by no means guarantees backwards or forwards compatibility... There isn't even a guarantee that next gen well stick with x86/64.

The_Lump

Banned
I've never seen a console planned for release that didn't have a ton of details leaked a year before release. Either its not planned for this year or no one is working on it now. I don't buy into this "magic NDA" or random posters' friends with Intel and don't see how Nintendo's NDA would be dramatically different from any other console manufacturer. So I'm with you.

Given what happened with the WiiU concept leaking so far in advance, I'm inclined to think they did everything they could to make their NDA absolutely airtight this time round. There is plenty they can do to achieve this (staggering devkit versions, releasing certain information to certain 3rd parties, super-NDAs which sit above the agreement preventing you even talking about the agreement itself) which would make it easy to track leaks. If 3rd parties think they can;t leak anonymously, they won't do it. It's really not worth the risk.

Also remember that, for better or worse, Nintendo consoles generally rely on a unique concept/usp whereas Sony & MS don't tend to have gimmicks which need to be kept under wraps quite as tightly.

Jackano

I agree and that's what's the most concerning to me about NX.
Although with Nintendo NDA + japanese working culture, I believe we won't get leaks from Japan, so I tend to believe the Square DraQue XI / Namco Smash Bros rumors...

But in the west, I believe virtually no one is working on it. EA? Lol. Ubi? I believe they won't play the early support card again for various reasons. Activision? Maybe they got a memo but they will put their C-teams on easy ports when the time comes, meaning they will be here but LTTP.

Peterc

I was thinking in term of cost, screen an ect...

It should be possible to keep everything cheaps and put some more money in the power.

I just read an article where india is launching a smartphone for 4$:

http://futurism.com/new-smartphone-launchingand-4/

It's insane how cheap everything gets.

Knowing that they will sell it for 4$, means its even cheaper for them to create it.

http://futurism.com/videos/meet-bracelet-turns-arm-touchscreen/

This one is cool, doesn't know if nintendo handheld can use something like that.

Given what happened with the WiiU concept leaking so far in advance, I'm inclined to think they did everything they could to make their NDA absolutely airtight this time round. There is plenty they can do to achieve this (staggering devkit versions, releasing certain information to certain 3rd parties, super-NDAs which sit above the agreement preventing you even talking about the agreement itself) which would make it easy to track leaks. If 3rd parties think they can;t leak anonymously, they won't do it. It's really not worth the risk.

Also remember that, for better or worse, Nintendo consoles generally rely on a unique concept/usp whereas Sony & MS don't tend to have gimmicks which need to be kept under wraps quite as tightly.

I get what you're trying to say, but leaks are called leaks for a reason. Someone who signed a NDA could still go out and talk to someone or be overheard, although the NDA of course forbids them to. Didn't IGN or Kotaku or someone release a whole article on leaking information without being caught? Do you think Nintendo installed some kind of super-NSA spyware on everyones personal computer?

Of course no one thinks they'll be caught. The more hands or heads that work on the next generation platform, the more will be known about it. Unless you give thousands of individuals within the dozens of development houses thousands of completely different platforms and force them to never be able to talk to each other or family/others. That leads me to believe that either it's just not in a lot of hands right now due to it not being released soon or not ever going to be in many developers hands early in its life.

Have you seen federal NDAs for the government? Those are pretty damned stringent and dramatically different than what you'd normally have to deal with in the entertainment industry. If Nintendo has something similar, we ain't getting shit. Furthermore, there's no real investigative journalism in the video game industry, so the information is even less likely to leak.

Mainstream media has connections all the way up to the Oval Office, so even with the strictest of NDAs, they're still able to get information. We have no equivalents in the gaming industry; not a single western journalist even knows an in-house Nintendo HQ developer on a personal basis.

Considering the circumstances, it is very possible that Nintendo really does just have this platform on a tight leash.

TheMoon

Übermatik;195695105 said:
Basically whatever we think Nintendo are doing, they'll do the opposite. So if we believe they're doing the opposite, they won't do that.

Close the thread.

This guy gets it, finally. :D

geordiemp

I get what you're trying to say, but leaks are called leaks for a reason. Someone who signed a NDA could still go out and talk to someone or be overheard, although the NDA of course forbids them to. Didn't IGN or Kotaku or someone release a whole article on leaking information without being caught? Do you think Nintendo installed some kind of super-NSA spyware on everyones personal computer?

Of course no one thinks they'll be caught. The more hands or heads that work on the next generation platform, the more will be known about it. Unless you give thousands of individuals within the dozens of development houses thousands of completely different platforms and force them to never be able to talk to each other or family/others. That leads me to believe that either it's just not in a lot of hands right now due to it not being released soon or not ever going to be in many developers hands early in its life.

An NDA is an NDA, you sign a legal agreement not to talk or mention the NDA. There is no super NDA, they are all as legally binding as each other imo.

The most simple answer is often the most likely, the details of the hardware are probably not out to third party devs, if they dont know what it is, you cant leak anything.

Dev kits could just be a software development environment on PC.

McHuj

Have you seen federal NDAs for the government? Those are pretty damned stringent and dramatically different than what you'd normally have to deal with in the entertainment industry. If Nintendo has something similar, we ain't getting shit. Furthermore, there's no real investigative journalism in the video game industry, so the information is even less likely to leak.

Mainstream media has connections all the way up to the Oval Office, so even with the strictest of NDAs, they're still able to get information. We have no equivalents in the gaming industry; not a single western journalist even knows an in-house Nintendo HQ developer on a personal basis.

Considering the circumstances, it is very possible that Nintendo really does just have this platform on a tight leash.

If you're talking about a security clearance, breaking that sends you to jail. Breaking a commercial NDA is not a criminal offense.

I agree with the thought that we should have more leaks by now, but for now I believe it's just that there is zero western third party support for launch.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
As reported by Rosti several times (and, more or less, by John Harker a few months ago), the current NDA policy being much, much tighter than what was before Wii U launch is a fact. I'm not saying this means that an excellent Western support is hiding behind ninja's work, I'm not that optimistic at all on that front honestly, but the presence of a much tighter NDA is a fact.

Also, Dragon Quest X/XI is not a "rumour" as referenced earlier in the thread: it was said directly by one of Dragon Quest producers during the Live Conference back in July last year, as "final surprise" of the event, out of nowhere.

TLZ

Banned
As reported by Rosti several times (and, more or less, by John Harker a few months ago), the current NDA policy being much, much tighter than what was before Wii U launch is a fact. I'm not saying this means that an excellent Western support is hiding behind ninja's work, I'm not that optimistic at all on that front honestly, but the presence of a much tighter NDA is a fact.

Also, Dragon Quest X/XI is not a "rumour" as referenced earlier in the thread: it was said directly by one of Dragon Quest producers during the Live Conference back in July last year, as "final surprise" of the event, out of nowhere.

At least that's something we know as fact about the NX.

If you're talking about a security clearance, breaking that sends you to jail. Breaking a commercial NDA is not a criminal offense.

I agree with the thought that we should have more leaks by now, but for now I believe it's just that there is zero western third party support for launch.

Asphalt NX has got to be there.
And maybe a Lego game and a port of Rayman 2.
That's most of the western support the 3DS had. The Xcom reboot would be a nice alternative to Ghost Recon but I'm not holding out hope.

Please people, don't do this. Don't perpetuate the same NDA myth that circulated with the WiiU. There are no leaks because there's nothing and no one to leak anything. To expect otherwise is just unreasonable given Nintendos past relations with 3rd parties

mike4001_

Iwata said last year that NX is a brand new concept, and I doubt he was just referring to the use of integrated architecture. Secondly, earlier this year, Tatsuya Kimishima confirmed NX is a unique and different kind of console.

Just a handheld with a video game output for TV would suit that ... :-/

"Play your games at home and continue on the go"

I stick with it. Nintendo will do something we core gamers won´t like at all.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Please people, don't do this. Don't perpetuate the same NDA myth that circulated with the WiiU. There are no leaks because there's nothing and no one to leak anything. To expect otherwise is just unreasonable given Nintendos past relations with 3rd parties

I totally agree
First and second party, japanese portable like support and indie are tue only possible scenarios

God forbid that Nintendo tries to improve those relations for their new hardware generation. But you're right, that won't ever happen.
/s

Maybe you're right, but there's a fat chance you're wrong. So don't make it sound like it's a fact.

And we got leaks pre Wii U, many. Those got hopes up, and then Nintendo f*cked it up big time, both in delivering the message to consumers and those last minute changes to hardware.
So i can see Nintendo having tightend up anything NDA related big time for NX.

In the end, i'm inclined to give Trevelyan999 a share of trust. If he (she?) was talking out of the arse, i'm sure the mods would have already taken care of that.

TheMoon

So Nintendo is going third party?

Mario Party (their first party) -> Wii Party (their second party) -> Nintendo Party (the third party!).

So yes.

Now let me post this in a forbes blog so it can be reposted here as "concrete" NX news tomorrow :)

Im not expecting huge support except from AAA western devs that put their shit on everything.

If the system delivers the goods, sells well enough and so on it will surely attract a wide variety of software

Id personally be happy just getting Japanese games and Indies which this new system should get in spades on top of great Nintendo software

Hermii

The one think that has leaked over and over again about the NX is that the NDAs are tight as fuck. Im not saying everyone has devkits, but the NDAs are definitely stricter this time.

God forbid that Nintendo tries to improve those relations for their new hardware generation. But you're right, that won't ever happen.
/s

Maybe you're right, but there's a fat chance you're wrong. So don't make it sound like it's a fact.

And we got leaks pre Wii U, many. Those got hopes up, and then Nintendo f*cked it up big time, both in delivering the message to consumers and those last minute changes to hardware.

In the end, i'm inclined to give Trevelyan999 a share of trust. If he (she?) was talking out of the arse, i'm sure the mods would hiave already taken care of that.

Thank you.

I mean, for a company as profit driven as Nintendo, to see their flagship products fail so spectacularly , is it really that hard to believe that they would try to do things differently this time around??

Hermii

God forbid that Nintendo tries to improve those relations for their new hardware generation. But you're right, that won't ever happen. /s

In the end, i'm inclined to give Trevelyan999 a share of trust. If he (she?) was talking out of the arse, i'm sure the mods would have already taken care of that.

There were no last minute changes of hardware, aside from a slight upclock.

Peru

Nintendo had a great relationship with third party publishers this generation. Not with the Wii U, however. On the 3DS, and in Japan. That's why I really hope there's truth to the idea that even if Japanese publishers want to get their rpg to the next-gen handheld buying crowd in Japan that game will also be available to the people who bought an NX stationary console.

There were no last minute changes of hardware, aside from a slight upclock.
Well ... that sounds like a change of hardware to me, maybe i should have written change of specs to be more precise. Also, i might need a source for this, because that's the first time i heared about that.

And if there was no downgrade, that just means leakers were hyping up despite it being mediocre at best ... that's even another reason for ramping up NDA.

Nintendo had a great relationship with third party publishers this generation. Not with the Wii U, however. On the 3DS, and in Japan. That's why I really hope there's truth to the idea that even if Japanese publishers want to get their rpg to the next-gen handheld buying crowd in Japan that game will also be available to the people who bought an NX stationary console.

Japan will whole heartedly support Nintendo regardless

Home field advantage and they REALLY only have one competitor anymore lol

Hermii

Well ... that sounds like a change of hardware to me, maybe i should have written change of specs to be more precise. Also, i might need a source for this, because that's the first time i heared about that.

And if there was no downgrade, that just means leakers were hyping up despite it being mediocre at best ... that's even another reason for ramping up NDA.

I believe the downgrade rumour has no source aside from some people who didn't believe the bird demo and the zelda demo could run on an actual Wii U. Just pure speculation.

I think Arkam is is the source that it was upclocked from 1 ghz to 1.2 ghz and 450 mhz gpu to 550 mhz or something like that.

An NDA is an NDA, you sign a legal agreement not to talk or mention the NDA. There is no super NDA, they are all as legally binding as each other imo.

The most simple answer is often the most likely, the details of the hardware are probably not out to third party devs, if they dont know what it is, you cant leak anything.

Dev kits could just be a software development environment on PC.

Completely false. The ramifications for breaching an NDA completely depends on the stipulations laid out in the agreement and the competency of the legal team drafting the NDA to cover all bases (legally) in making sure that anyone breaching the contract can actually be held responsible for doing so.

If the ramifications are tenuous, a leak is more likely to occur. If the ramifications are particularly comprehensive, a leak is less likely to occur.

And yes, there are NDAs for NDAs and other security redundancies. You literally have no idea what you're talking about.

Not security clearances, no. But security redundancies and fragmentation in place to ensure that the leaker can be traced and actually held responsible for the breach. Many (legitimate) leaks happen due to loopholes that people work around, not because people outright decide to breach their terms of agreement. Another component is the ability for some leakers to leak information while remaining anonymous.

Loopholes can be pretty tough to clamp down on, and there are always ways to make them even tighter. The same can be said for tracing a leak.

/s

Of course they could, but the absence of any hints that relations have or are improving really makes any speculation that asumes a positive change in that aspect highly unreasonable and falls straight into wishful thinking territory.

The one think that has leaked over and over again about the NX is that the NDAs are tight as fuck. Im not saying everyone has devkits, but the NDAs are definitely stricter this time.

Tighter NDAs just means that. Nothing more. It doesn't confirm any actual development or plans to release anything.

Again, if anything exciting was brewing you would hear something ny now.
Of course, the absence of evidence isn't evidence, but this situation has happened before, and to ignore the past is to repeat ones mistakes, so please don't go there. The most plausible reason is the one informed by past eyperience and with Nintendo you're better off not expecting anything more than what currentlyis known.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Of course they could, but the absence of any hints that relations have or are improving really makes any speculation that asumes a positive change in that aspect highly unreasonable and falls straight into wishful thinking territory.

Tighter NDAs just means that. Nothing more. It doesn't confirm any actual development or plans to release anything.

Again, if anything exciting was brewing you would hear something ny now.
Of course, the absence of evidence isn't evidence, but this situation has happened before, and to ignore the past is to repeat ones mistakes, so please don't go there. The most plausible reason is the one informed by past eyperience and with Nintendo you're better off not expecting anything more than what currentlyis known.

I'm not expecting huge stuff from NX, but your statement in bold above is completely ludicrous.

Hermii said:
I believe the downgrade rumour has no source aside from some people who didn't believe the bird demo and the zelda demo could run on an actual Wii U. Just pure speculation.

I'm fairly certain we had a dev on here confirm that the original specs they got from Nintendo about the Wii U were well above the actual power of the devkits they eventually got, indicating a definite downgrade took place.

No, it's a reasonable assumption based on past pre launch periods. Especially when factoring in current 3rd party relations, it's not far fetched to come to ths conclusion.

No. Curbing expectations is fine. You could simply say you're not expecting 3rd party support based on Nintendo's history with 3rd parties. That does not mean that you can definitively conclude that if there was support, you'd have heard about it by now. There could be all kinds of factors involved that prohibit that from happening at the moment.

Totally different leap in logic.

Banned
No, it's a reasonable assumption based on past pre launch periods. Especially when factoring in current 3rd party relations, it's not far fetched to come to ths conclusion.
It's really not. When everything went silent between E3 2011 and 2012 we all assumed it was because Nintendo was hunkering down on WiiU development. Turns out we were wrong. The 3DS floundering meant development focus was shifted to the handheld and the Wii U was left to hang for its first year.

This time if both of them are coming out (HH and console) then the library issue won't he a problem since both will be getting the same or nearly the same games.

thefro

There's basically three scenarios:
- NX console is releasing this year; has good Western support but we haven't heard anything due to heavy NDA & ease of porting games from PS4/XB1 (so only a few programmers/engineers would actually need dev kits/SDK now).
- NX portable is actually what's releasing this year, mainly with Japanese 3rd party support. Console to follow in 2017. No reason to include many Western developers yet since they will still have plenty of time to port games for a 2017 launch over after everything is revealed at E3.
- Nintendo is ignoring Western third parties for the most part. Higher likelihood here of the console being underpowered or maybe a "hybrid" or cheap Vita TV version of the portable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom