• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eradicate

Tbh I think if they went for the patent style display with these stick things and no buttons they might label the right side one 'A' and the left side one 'B'!

Oh, now see, that's true too! So, kind of like:

qComKUo.png

Hard to say. The patent had multiple options..but then it was also talking about the wheels being motorised and allowing force feedback/haptics (which would be trickier if it was just a touch pad).

The bonus of motorised scroll wheels (which could give some resistance/recenter)...is they could be the best way to replicate analogue triggers on a handheld.

You can do that with springs too if you don't let them rotate 360 and instead just a small arc. I have an old camera with that kind of a switch on it for zooming in and out. Just a 1D analog stick basically.

I was kind of thinking like that too, that having some resistance would be nice. It'd feel better to operate and you would be less likely to overshoot whatever you'd be scrolling to select.

Aroll

No, it's a reasonable assumption based on past pre launch periods. Especially when factoring in current 3rd party relations, it's not far fetched to come to ths conclusion.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I distinctly remember knowing practically nothing about the Xbox One and PS4 before Sony unveiled them. So if that's the case, what's to say Nintendo hasn't taken notes and tightened the leash, not allowing kits out to certain places that they feel were leaking in the first place?

Reality is, most NDA's exist to prevent the leaks - but some devs can't help help themselves. All Nintendo needs to do is only give kits to those of which they know didn't leak anything and only make kits available to everyone else right around the time they plan to announce the system.

It's not rocket science. They seemed to give a Wii U dev unit to everyone under the sun and leaks occurred like crazy.

Steph_E.

... PS4 took users from a dead console at the end of a generation, now NX needs to take users from two very alive consoles.

Not so. There are millions of 360/PS3 owners who haven't upgraded yet. These are people who aren't rushing to get a PS4 because their friends have got one. These are people who will upgrade when they are good and ready, and they will get the console they think is best for them at that time. That console may be a PS4, or an xbox1, but it could just as well be a Nintendo NX. Nintendo just has to make it appealing enough. How do they do that? - not got a clue. But they don't have to attract current PS4/xbox1 owners, the easier route to sales is surely to attract the potential future PS4/xbox1 owners.

kfpkiller

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I distinctly remember knowing practically nothing about the Xbox One and PS4 before Sony unveiled them. So if that's the case, what's to say Nintendo hasn't taken notes and tightened the leash, not allowing kits out to certain places that they feel were leaking in the first place?

Reality is, most NDA's exist to prevent the leaks - but some devs can't help help themselves. All Nintendo needs to do is only give kits to those of which they know didn't leak anything and only make kits available to everyone else right around the time they plan to announce the system.

It's not rocket science. They seemed to give a Wii U dev unit to everyone under the sun and leaks occurred like crazy.

There was a lot of leaks about orbis and durango months before sony unveiled the ps4.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
There are also tens of millions of gamers/people who haven't jumped into this gen yet.

Not so. There are millions of 360/PS3 owners who haven't upgraded yet. These are people who aren't rushing to get a PS4 because their friends have got one. These are people who will upgrade when they are good and ready, and they will get the console they think is best for them at that time. That console may be a PS4, or an xbox1, but it could just as well be a Nintendo NX. Nintendo just has to make it appealing enough. How do they do that? - not got a clue. But they don't have to attract current PS4/xbox1 owners, the easier route to sales is surely to attract the potential future PS4/xbox1 owners.

According to the latest sales data those people aren't buying too many western 3rd party games either.

Banned
There was a lot of leaks about orbis and durango months before sony unveiled the ps4.
That's the weird thing. Sony and Microsoft were pretty much opened floodgates of leaks. Nintendo is obviously doing something different with their NDA's or western devs don't have dev kits yet to leak shit (since most western devs do the leaking).

I think this is a bit flawed. Unless Nintendo is following the same strategy as Sony/MS then I don't see what could be attractive for current 360/PS3 owners who are prospects on upgrading to a XB1/PS4. Sure, Kinect & Move gave consumers a different twist just like VR could for the PS4 later on. But the key difference between a PS3 in 2007 as opposed to 2013 was a cheaper entry price and a more robust third party catalog.

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but Nintendo was looking into streaming, do you guys think they'll use it?
Maybe in order to let handheld gamers play some more graphically intensive games?
Didn't Nintendo mention something about rewarding gamers for allowing them to use their device as an additional computational device?
Maybe they can use those systems to stream to handhelds world wide?
Sounds like it could have some issues, but it also sounds like the next step after the gamepad's Off TV play.
Maybe like the Vita/PS4 remote play which can be done anywhere but maybe have it run better
Vita wasn't build with this feature in mind, right? So if Nintendo did it should work better or so I'd imagine

Yuuichi

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but Nintendo was looking into streaming, do you guys think they'll use it?
Maybe in order to let handheld gamers play some more graphically intensive games?
Didn't Nintendo mention something about rewarding gamers for allowing them to use their device as an additional computational device?
Sounds like it could have some issues, but it also sounds like the next step after the gamepad's Off TV play.
Maybe like the Vita/PS4 remote play which can be done anywhere but maybe have it run better
Vita wasn't build with this feature in mind, right? So if Nintendo did it should work better or so I'd imagine

The biggest hurdle to remote play, especially in the states, is broadband infrastructure. Can't fix what isn't yours.

Steph_E.

I think this is a bit flawed. Unless Nintendo is following the same strategy as Sony/MS then I don't see what could be attractive for current 360/PS3 owners who are prospects on upgrading to a XB1/PS4. Sure, Kinect & Move gave consumers a different twist just like VR could for the PS4 later on. But the key difference between a PS3 in 2007 as opposed to 2013 was a cheaper entry price and a more robust third party catalog.

I also don't know what could be attractive in the NX for current 360/PS3 owners, but that is for Nintendo to figure out. However, my point was that I think King Snake was incorrect in saying Nintendo have to attract XB1/PS4 owners. They have to attract the 360/PS3 owners - they surely have to be a (slightly) easier target than people who have already upgraded to current gen.

They need to attract Nintendo fans

They are still a sizeable chunk and it will likely just take the right nudge to get them on board

PS4 doubled down on gamers and Sony fans and look at them now

Nintendo's appeal is large enough that if they actually make positive decisions and great games it might be enough

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I also don't know what could be attractive in the NX for current 360/PS3 owners, but that is for Nintendo to figure out. However, my point was that I think King Snake was incorrect in saying Nintendo have to attract XB1/PS4 owners. They have to attract the 360/PS3 owners - they surely have to be a (slightly) easier target than people who have already upgraded to current gen.

It was purely in the context of creating the audience for the western 3rd parties on NX. Which is now in a large majority on PS4, Xbone and PC.

I just don't think the distributed computing idea is suitable for live games when anyone you might be streaming can cut the power whenever they feel like it. It's good for a bittorrent like system for downloads or level data, or other things that don't require an instant response.

The patent gave an example of AI getting worse if you aren't connected, is that really where we want to go?

The biggest hurdle to remote play, especially in the states, is broadband infrastructure. Can't fix what isn't yours.
But eventually it should be good enough, at least as an option for those that can use it even if it's not as good as running it natively.
They need to attract Nintendo fans

They are still a sizeable chunk and it will likely just take the right nudge to get them on board

PS4 doubled down on gamers and Sony fans and look at them now

Nintendo's appeal is large enough that if they actually make positive decisions and great games it might be enough
The 3DS did pretty well even after mobile, the poor launch, and the fact that it's still pretty expensive and feels dated.
If they could make the console owners feel like the 3DS owners do by sharing the library I think total NX sales should be pretty good.

Usually? I doubt you can find many examples in the console sector.

Cartridges literally allowed different games to include different software functionality via unique hardware.

Input technologies alter the way players interact with software, offering new possibilities for the kinds of software that can be made and how game controls can work.

Specs provide a hard limit on the kinds of designs that can be achieved.

Eradicate

People have already discussed what problems exist with this over an internet/mobile connection. Buuuut...I was actually wondering if they would be able to do this all locally only. You'd have the incentive to be playing together with increased computational power and earning points, plus you'd be with your buddies. There'd be a physical range of course. I'm not sure how they'd transmit it, but it's essentially kind of like making your own LAN area. Could Bluetooth do this?

People have already discussed what problems exist with this over an internet/mobile connection. Buuuut...I was actually wondering if they would be able to do this all locally only. You'd have the incentive to be playing together with increased computational power and earning points, plus you'd be with your buddies. There'd be a physical range of course. I'm not sure how they'd transmit it, but it's essentially kind of like making your own LAN area. Could Bluetooth do this?

Why not use the exact same technology already being employed by Wii U?

Eradicate

Why not use the exact same technology already being employed by Wii U?

You mean kind of like absorbing the Wii U's archi...

bert_eyes.gif

Makes sense to me, and it ties back in with an OP source, so this thread hasn't been entirely derailed yet!

I wanna play that game! I like how you can use cartoon bombs, shields and real life guns!

LOL!!! Nondescript Patent Man doesn't mess around! He'll kid around with the cartoon bombs for a little bit, but then you'll just get shot with a pistol in the end. Plus he has a mace, and that's just awesome.

The image I got it from is even better at the bottom, but I didn't use it:

fig11_ab8jrmr.png

You mean kind of like absorbing the Wii U's archi...

bert_eyes.gif

Makes sense to me, and it ties back in with an OP source, so this thread hasn't been entirely derailed yet!

I mean, given that Wii U itself wasn't able to fully realize what they were originally planning, one has to wonder whether they were hoping to implement a more advanced version of its image streaming tech in a future console anyway, after having driven down the associated costs through Wii U sales.

Karanlos

NX most likely will use Vulkan API as one of it's GFX API's. Khronos hosted webinar showed a slide with Nintendo being in the working group. Will post a link later when I can find one.

Banned
I want the console appearance to be like the Nvidia shield and the controller to be like the shield but with a capacitive touchscreen in the middle (like where the touchpad on the DS4 is) at around 4" or so.

It has that Xbox one controller thickness and boomerang shape for gripping instead of the Wii U's pure rectangular form. Gamers like handles.

Obviously the console itself won't be that small or skinny (unless it is really low in tdp) but that angled shape appeals to my eye. It's not some standard box.

nvidia-shield-3.jpg

nvidia-shieldconsole-controller2.JPG

Of course you'd get the GOAT Nintendo dpad and scrollable shoulder buttons with analog triggers.

Rodin

I want the console appearance to be like the Apple Mac Mini and the controller to be like the Pro Controller or the DS4 but with a capacitive touchscreen in the middle (like where the touchpad on the DS4 is) at around 4.5" or so.

Of course you'd get the GOAT Nintendo dpad and scrollable shoulder buttons with analog triggers.
Fixed ;)

Malus

See the post above you.. (do innovative things with software). Also, personally, I believe Nintendo has a quality reputation higher than the competitors that would help. Their software has near universal appeal, their hardware gimmicks do not.

I'm getting my donut screens god damnit.

I want them to do cool stuff with their hardware, but I also want a powerful console and if the hardware innovation is expensive then there's a conflict bleh. Just gimme back the wiimote.

The controller is a holographic display with haptic feedback. That's about all I can think of that's new. What other input methods could there possibility be?

I may be slightly joking but that would be a huge gimmick that would be costly, cool, unique and a very good reason for tight NDA's.

They did IR pointing, motion controls and 3D. VR isn't coming yet.

Gesture recognition is still seen by many analysts as where input technology is heading in the near future. According to the Digitimes rumor, Pixart has been once again tasked with providing components (likely some type of optical sensor) for NX. They've got an IR gesture recognition sensor that has been put in some smartphones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VONQQrAC-MI

Skip to 1:18 for the most impressive part (at least to me).

Pros:
  • No sensor bar needed.
  • Does not require broad motions to work
  • Can be implemented in standard Wii U Pro shaped controller
  • Eliminates need for touch pad
Cons:
  • Limited detection distance
  • Kinect kinda already did this sort of thing
  • Possible lag in gesture controls (but not pointer and probably able to be optimized in software)

Oh and btw, Pixart were also working on some head/eye tracking for Google Glass. Maybe they could do a cheap version w/out the AR lenses for Nintendo? That's a more out-there proposition, but there was that patent where Nintendo explored sensors mounted on glasses and hats. You never know. They could mount a sensor on the top of a headset and kill two birds w/ one stone.

I'm getting my donut screens god damnit.

I want them to do cool stuff with their hardware, but I also want a powerful console and if the hardware innovation is expensive then there's a conflict bleh. Just gimme back the wiimote.

Unless they somehow make the same mistake again, the console will accept multiple controllers of the new design which can be sold for a profit at an acceptable price. So the controller should be affordable(like Wii) but doesn't correlate to the console being powerful(like Wii)

Banned
Pls

can't beat these aestethics, form factor and compact size for a console

PSV TV looks ugly and it's way smaller so it's definitely not the same ;)
Actually seeing more pictures it looks good. Wouldn't mind that with an illuminated Nintendo logo or NX logo on top. Good choice.
Gesture recognition is still seen by many analysts as where input technology is heading in the near future. According to the Digitimes rumor, Pixart has been once again tasked with providing components (likely some type of optical sensor) for NX. They've got an IR gesture recognition sensor that has been put in some smartphones.

Pros:
  • No sensor bar needed.
Cons:
  • Possible lag in gesture controls (but not pointer and probably able to be optimized in software)
Hnnnnng.

It would truly be revolutionary and I know the tech is being developed I just didn't know it was that far along. That would be a great gimmick and a reason for tight ass NDA's. Definitely "new way to experience games".

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
There was no comment on NX during Ubisoft's Investor Day 2016, however Yves Guillemot said he believes next generation consoles to incorporate common processors (like x86, as with this console cycle), and he expects strong growth. Whether NX is included among these next generation consoles I don't know.

The question coupled to this came from Chris Hickey CFA, Atlantic Equities, and begins at 16.30.

Rösti;195781475 said:
There was no comment on NX during Ubisoft's Investor Day 2016, however Yves Guillemot said he believes next generation consoles to incorporate common processors (like x86, as with this console cycle), and he expects strong growth. Whether NX is included among these next generation consoles I don't know.

The question coupled to this came from Chris Hickey CFA, Atlantic Equities, and begins at 16.30.

Seems reasonable that NX will have a common chipset be it ARM or x86

Malus

Pros:
  • No sensor bar needed.
Cons:

Oh and btw, Pixart were also working on some head/eye tracking for Google Glass. Maybe they could do a cheap version w/out the AR lenses for Nintendo? That's a more out-there proposition, but there was that patent where Nintendo explored sensors mounted on glasses and hats. You never know. They could mount a sensor on the top of a headset and kill two birds w/ one stone.

"Wave to close program"

goodbye program

In regards to streaming tech, what if the handheld and console are completely separate, with separate libraries, but you can stream console games to your portable locally, like the Wii U tablet. This way the console comes with a standard controller to please 3rd parties (plus scroulders)

Whats the latest rumor on power? Are we talking parity with the ps4/xbone, less powerful than both, less powerful than ps4 more powerful than xbone, better than both?

Malus

Whats the latest rumor on power? Are we talking parity with the ps4/xbone, less powerful than both, less powerful than ps4 more powerful than xbone, better than both?

Recent rumor pointed to stronger than PS4. Most speculation here however is thinking Xbone or less.

In regards to streaming tech, what if the handheld and console are completely separate, with separate libraries, but you can stream console games to your portable locally, like the Wii U tablet. This way the console comes with a standard controller to please 3rd parties (plus scroulders)

I still think there will be a good amount of games common to all NX systems (btw, sorry I never got the chance to tackle some of the responses from the last debate we had on the topic).

As for this streaming tech, I'm trying to think about how this would be much different from something like Steam Link. Maybe that's what they have in mind, though. You could plug your NX console right into your router and have access across the entire house. There would be issues in tackling lag, though, and a wired connection would be optimal, if not necessary, I'm imagining. Blu did a cool experiment in implementing the idea.

Maybe part of the NX setup is virtualized and terminal devices will be tasked with some of the processing, such as controller I/O. Nintendo might feel that there are enough devices out there which are up to the task. Someone should ask David Gibson what he meant in his report that NX could work with PS4. Not that I would expect the two companies to play nice, but just in theory, it may be possible to have an NX app that worked hand in hand with your Home NX Server.

McHuj

Months. We've had rumors about the NX already for months. It will only get more intense closer to the unveiling. So what's the difference here then?

We had actual leaks about the other two. Very concrete details were leaking about the dev kits, cpu, gpu, ram setups etc. The only detail that really wasn't know at this point was 8GB of RAM for Sony. For NX we have nothing.

Being like brothers and being able to port assets easily between the two wouldn't make much sense if the libraries are completely different and it's instead streamed content

We had actual leaks about the other two. Very concrete details were leaking about the dev kits, cpu, gpu, ram setups etc. The only detail that really wasn't know at this point was 8GB of RAM for Sony. For NX we have nothing.

Nothing?

Well hardware wise... yes we have basically nothing lol

Malus

Well we've heard about how selective Nintendo's been with handing out dev kits. Strangely the developer who said that the dev kit process was very selective and complicated and few have them also stated that the timing of the dev kits points to a 2016 release.

edit: nobody saw those typos

TheMoon

You're looking for the most useless information possible.

Besides, depending on the week it will be more or less powerful than one of the two other systems. And it's not like we haven't learned from the last go around that "power" means absolutely donkey balls without context.

Months. We've had rumors about the NX already for months. It will only get more intense closer to the unveiling. So what's the difference here then?

The people who typically leak aren't blowing a gasket in terms of how much NX will factor into their business plans.

They were for PS4 and Xbox One.

Neoxon

Then Nintendo would be in the same situation as they are now. Next to no third parties for the console & Nintendo struggling to support both systems on their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom