• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems like most recent speculation has been on the systems using two different ARM CPUs, If I'm not mistaken, the 3DS uses an old ARM CPU, but would it still be compatible? Basically, do we think that the NX (if it ran with an ARM processor) could run 3DS games natively through backwards compatible CPU architecture?

I'm somewhat interested in Fire Emblem Fates for example, but I'm wondering if the NX could possibly play 3DS games, because if so I'd rather get 3DS games digitally on whatever comes next. The 3DS is just a little too archaic to come back to from Vita for me, but playing 3DS games on a backwards compatible NX is much more appealing for the implied online infrastructure upgrades (like account ownership of digital games rather than them being tied to a console) and the possibility of bilinear filtering as an option.

On that note, with talk of "multiple devices" and not just two, could there be a console, a more traditional handheld with only one touch screen, and a handheld more similar to the DS & 3DS with a 3D screen (with face tracking) on the top and a touchscreen on the bottom?

At the very least, I think the customization focus with the New 3DS (faceplates) is likely to return in the NX handheld.

(Sorry that these are somewhat jumbled thoughts, I don't have a ton of time to post since I have to catch a bus soon.)

Then Nintendo would be in the same situation as they are now. Next to no third parties for the console & Nintendo struggling to support both systems on their own.

And the game delays won't be going anywhere, and, unlike before, they'll be stretched even thinner creating and supporting mobile games.

There could still be exclusives, but the majority of their heavy hitters have established audiences on both HH and console.

Banned
I can say for sure it will be more powerful than WiiU

The portable can be more power than 3DS with minimal effort

So there ya go
That was already confirmed by Matt. I'm a thread asking if the NX will be less powerful then the Wii U he replied with "nah". Thread closed after that lol.

But the jump from Wii U to PS4 or XB1 is pretty big and there's a lot of different power levels in between.

ReyVGM

Day after day, waiting turns grey
Like the skin of a dying man.
Night after night, we get restless alright.
But I have grown older and
Nintendo has grown colder,
And nothing is very much fun, any more.
And I can feel no news coming soon.
I feel cold as a razor blade,
Tight as a tourniquet,
Dry as a funeral drum.

That was already confirmed by Matt. I'm a thread asking if the NX will be less powerful then the Wii U he replied with "nah". Thread closed after that lol.

But the jump from Wii U to PS4 or XB1 is pretty big and there's a lot of different power levels in between.

Well PS4 are already a few years in and have received price cuts

So i dunno what the relative power shakes out with the best possible combination of current chips to make system profitable at 299

Someone might have a good idea on here though and that prediction could be close

Banned
FO3qvA6.jpg

NXConsoleDuoV4_zps3sl8eq0y.jpg

Lol the clutter on those controllers.
cafe-mockup.png

Cringe.

I so want the console to look like this. Looks like an NES would in the 22nd century.
18hclj43ewnnnjpg.jpg

18hclj43ewnnnjpg.jpg

Instead of the disc drive though the sliding cover reveals the cartridge slot and the USB ports in the front.

Malus

Tight as a tourniquet,
Dry as a funeral drum.

cough

18hclj43ewnnnjpg.jpg

Instead of the disc drive though the sliding cover reveals the cartridge slot and the USB ports in the front.

That looks like a PS2 to me.

Roo

FO3qvA6.jpg

NXConsoleDuoV4_zps3sl8eq0y.jpg

Lol the clutter on those controllers.
cafe-mockup.png

Cringe.

I so want the console to look like this. Looks like an NES would in the 22nd century.
18hclj43ewnnnjpg.jpg

18hclj43ewnnnjpg.jpg

samusabsolutelydisgusting.gif

Banned
The Nintendo Beem one looks like it's trying to hard to be sleek version of a device from the 80s. Those two styles clash for me.
Ah I see. I love those two styles clashing. Fuels my nostalgia. Lol. The controllers I posted for us to laugh at since they're so cramped or full of text. If the handheld or controller has my fingers run across the screen it's gonna be a deal breaker for me. Gaming screens are sacred, no interference can occur.

Not on my computer, just on my phone so sorry for the lazy shop
htdilfIl.jpg

Still don't like it, tho. Buttons are too big and it looks bulky in the bottom

Malus

Ah I see. I love those two styles clashing. Fuels my nostalgia. Lol. The controllers I posted for us to laugh at since they're so cramped or full of text. If the handheld or controller has my fingers run across the screen it's gonna be a deal breaker for me. Gaming screens are sacred, no interference can occur.

Well it doesn't seem out of the question the way the patents look.

Tight as a tourniquet,
Dry as a funeral drum.

Do you want to learn to fly?
Do you want to see me try?

AzaK

Thank you.
I mean, for a company as profit driven as Nintendo, to see their flagship products fail so spectacularly , is it really that hard to believe that they would try to do things differently this time around??

Of course they will but that does not, in any way, suggest they will have great third parties. Which is harder....to fix completely broken relationships and make your hardware (and increase cost) to suit those third parties or to think of an interesting idea that you hope to sell to the mass market.

I say again, if Nintendo thought 'Shit, we have this great idea to market Game and Watch console' and thought the numbers would add up, they'd do it in a heartbeat without a thought for "us" core gaming audience.

Thraktor

Gesture recognition is still seen by many analysts as where input technology is heading in the near future. According to the Digitimes rumor, Pixart has been once again tasked with providing components (likely some type of optical sensor) for NX. They've got an IR gesture recognition sensor that has been put in some smartphones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VONQQrAC-MI

Skip to 1:18 for the most impressive part (at least to me).

Pros:
  • No sensor bar needed.
  • Does not require broad motions to work
  • Can be implemented in standard Wii U Pro shaped controller
  • Eliminates need for touch pad
Cons:
  • Limited detection distance
  • Kinect kinda already did this sort of thing
  • Possible lag in gesture controls (but not pointer and probably able to be optimized in software)

Oh and btw, Pixart were also working on some head/eye tracking for Google Glass. Maybe they could do a cheap version w/out the AR lenses for Nintendo? That's a more out-there proposition, but there was that patent where Nintendo explored sensors mounted on glasses and hats. You never know. They could mount a sensor on the top of a headset and kill two birds w/ one stone.

It would be interesting if they implemented something like this as a 3D "extension" to the touchscreen on the handheld. That is, the touchscreen responds to where your finger is on a 2D surface, but this could track your finger in 3D above the touchscreen as well. Players would still be using their finger as an input mechanism as they're used to, but allowing for three dimensional rather than just two dimensional interaction. (That being said, I'm struggling to actually think of effective gameplay uses for such a technology, but it does strike me as a "Nintendo-like" innovation).

Then Nintendo would be in the same situation as they are now. Next to no third parties for the console & Nintendo struggling to support both systems on their own.
I feel like not having a gimmick, and a reasonably spec'd console that's easy to port to would increase third party support.
Historically, power and "dunno what to put on the tablet" is what kept third parties away (at least admittedly)

Malus

I feel like not having a gimmick, and a reasonably spec'd console that's easy to port to would increase third party support.
Historically, power and "dunno what to put on the tablet" is what kept third parties away (at least admittedly)

I don't think Nintendo forced anybody to use the tablet so I don't see why that'd hold devs back. It was probably more "If we had a great idea to use the gamepad then we'd bring our game, but as it stands downporting to Wii U is too much hassle for little benefit."

Just imagine them naming the NX the Nintendo and showing they Nintendo beem like console. I'd cry.

I just hope it's something more than the nondescript box that is the Wii U.

Rodin

Can anyone with photoshop skills take the DS4 "horns", replace the PS buttons with Nintendo ones and slap a screen in the middle with Zelda U on it? Would be interesting to see how that looks.

Eradicate

lol

Someone tweet Shatner and see if he's ok with being called Bean Man

Please someone do this!

It would be interesting if they implemented something like this as a 3D "extension" to the touchscreen on the handheld. That is, the touchscreen responds to where your finger is on a 2D surface, but this could track your finger in 3D above the touchscreen as well. Players would still be using their finger as an input mechanism as they're used to, but allowing for three dimensional rather than just two dimensional interaction. (That being said, I'm struggling to actually think of effective gameplay uses for such a technology, but it does strike me as a "Nintendo-like" innovation).

My first thought was being able to control a 3D camera and move it to literally any configuration you wanted. It's more intuitive than using a stick or something.

Regrettably, that's my only thought at the moment! (Maybe there's a bunch of option-related things you can do, freeing up from needing a "select" button, such as doing certain gestures above the screen to go to the home screen, save your game, raise the volume, etc. Nothing gameplay related, but I could see it being useful enough.)

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I just don't think the distributed computing idea is suitable for live games when anyone you might be streaming can cut the power whenever they feel like it. It's good for a bittorrent like system for downloads or level data, or other things that don't require an instant response.

The patent gave an example of AI getting worse if you aren't connected, is that really where we want to go?
That's a simple-to-solve issue - you just need a reward system which requires the supplement owners to keep their pets online for certain continuous timespans daily. Each supplement can broadcast a TTL beacon packet. The game can start searching for the next available supplement upon nearing TTL depletion.

Pokemaniac

It seems like most recent speculation has been on the systems using two different ARM CPUs, If I'm not mistaken, the 3DS uses an old ARM CPU, but would it still be compatible? Basically, do we think that the NX (if it ran with an ARM processor) could run 3DS games natively through backwards compatible CPU architecture?

I'm somewhat interested in Fire Emblem Fates for example, but I'm wondering if the NX could possibly play 3DS games, because if so I'd rather get 3DS games digitally on whatever comes next. The 3DS is just a little too archaic to come back to from Vita for me, but playing 3DS games on a backwards compatible NX is much more appealing for the implied online infrastructure upgrades (like account ownership of digital games rather than them being tied to a console) and the possibility of bilinear filtering as an option.

On that note, with talk of "multiple devices" and not just two, could there be a console, a more traditional handheld with only one touch screen, and a handheld more similar to the DS & 3DS with a 3D screen (with face tracking) on the top and a touchscreen on the bottom?

At the very least, I think the customization focus with the New 3DS (faceplates) is likely to return in the NX handheld.

(Sorry that these are somewhat jumbled thoughts, I don't have a ton of time to post since I have to catch a bus soon.)

Assuming 3DS software is decently well-behaved, it should run fine on a more modern ARM CPU provided the existence of a software compatibility layer to support it. Things could potentially get a little tricky, GPU-wise, but I doubt those issues will be insurmountable.

Well PS4 are already a few years in and have received price cuts

So i dunno what the relative power shakes out with the best possible combination of current chips to make system profitable at 299

Someone might have a good idea on here though and that prediction could be close

Honestly, the PS4 and Xbox One architectures are still pretty much the best best. Set aside the CPU for a second, Nintendo would be looking at a very similar GPU architecture and RAM setup.

With RAM, there are higher density chips now, so they can use 8 chips instead of 16 like their rivals. They can save about $30 by ditching the optical drive. Otherwise, there's not much they can do to drop price. If they go with 14nm technology, they can make the console much cooler/smaller and also increase shader and bandwidth efficiency (if Polaris delivers on its promises), but their cost will increase. It's a tough call and it really depends on what vision they have for the console.

Small, cheap, powerful. Pick two.

maxcriden

I can say for sure it will be more powerful than WiiU

The portable can be more power than 3DS with minimal effort

So there ya go

You cannot say the first statement for sure. The second statement is true but does not necessarily have any bearing on what will happen.

The_Lump

Banned
Not on my computer, just on my phone so sorry for the lazy shop
htdilfIl.jpg

Still don't like it, tho. Buttons are too big and it looks bulky in the bottom

Stretch that by ~25% width wise, so that there's a good clean 16:9 ratio rectangle of screen area between the buttons, and it works fine imo.

Thraktor

My first thought was being able to control a 3D camera and move it to literally any configuration you wanted. It's more intuitive than using a stick or something.

Regrettably, that's my only thought at the moment! (Maybe there's a bunch of option-related things you can do, freeing up from needing a "select" button, such as doing certain gestures above the screen to go to the home screen, save your game, raise the volume, etc. Nothing gameplay related, but I could see it being useful enough.)

Camera control would be interesting, and I'm sure there's a lot more that developers could come up with if they did implement this (KORG DS-30 with theremin function, anyone?) One advantage it does have is that it's invisible to players if unused by a game, so developers wouldn't feel like they're forced into using it for every game (although I'm sure there'd be a lot of early games with motion sensing shoe-horned in).

Apt101

It would be really dope if Nintendo took inspiration from the NES for the design of the NX. Judging how they've been trending with the Wii to the Wii U, however, I'm guessing it's going to be something more along those lines.

Hermii

Honestly I doubt Matt even knows the specs. He just replied to the thread because it's the mpst obvious thing ever, of course it isn't weaker than the previous console.

Davey Cakes

The idea of having the entire face of the controller be the screen is...interesting.

I can see it work so long as the standard-sized display is unobstructed. The edges of the screen are less important, obviously.

MK_768

Honestly I doubt Matt even knows the specs. He just replied to the thread because it's the mpst obvious thing ever, of course it isn't weaker than the previous console.

Yeah if it's a home console. If it is a handheld than the question is fair cause we just don't know what we are getting.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Can someone explain the Nintendo NX to me like I'm an idiot? Rumours are that it will be as powerful as the Xbox One/PS4 so I'm okay with that. Then other rumours are abound that you can play the games on the go as a handheld. How in the thundering Jesus do you get a handheld as powerful as the current home console gen? The best comparison is PS3 and Vita but I can't imagine Nintendo producing a handheld way more powerful than the Vita and that it is affordable to the mass public. I don't want to be the Debbie Downer but WTF?

Can someone explain the Nintendo NX to me like I'm an idiot? Rumours are that it will be as powerful as the Xbox One/PS4 so I'm okay with that. Then other rumours are abound that you can play the games on the go as a handheld. How in the thundering Jesus do you get a handheld as powerful as the current home console gen? The best comparison is PS3 and Vita but I can't imagine Nintendo producing a handheld way more powerful than the Vita and that it is affordable to the mass public. I don't want to be the Debbie Downer but WTF?

No one can answer any of those questions for you because everything you're asking about is pure speculation at this point.

Hermii

Yeah if it's a home console. If it is a handheld than the question is fair cause we just don't know what we are getting.
He didn't specify and the comparison don't make sense if he was talking about the handheld.

Our assumption is that it's a seperate handheld and home console that will run the same os, be easy to port between and be kind of like an iPhone and an iPad.

Here's what I think Nintendo NX will be. A home console and a handheld with a shared game library.

The design of the systems will mean Nintendo will only make one Mario Kart. This singular version will play on both the home console and handheld.

You will be able to play online against people on both systems.

Your game data will be saved to your Nintendo profile so that you can switch between systems and immediately carry on where you left off.

If you buy Mario Kart then you will be able to play it on either system or at least have a discount on the version you didn't buy.

Nintendo will have less software droughts as they wont be providing different games for two different systems. Certain software will be exclusive though.

TheMoon

There's nothing to explain. Nothing about the NX is known. Everything right now is people throwing stuff at the wall, hoping some of it turns out true in the end.

What we know about the NX: It's Nintendo's next dedicated gaming platform. That's it. :)

Roo

Here's what I think Nintendo NX will be. A home console and a handheld with a shared game library.

The design of the systems will mean Nintendo will only make one Mario Kart. This singular version will play on both the home console and handheld.

You will be able to play online against people on both systems.

Your game data will be saved to your Nintendo profile so that you can switch between systems and immediately carry on where you left off.

If you buy Mario Kart then you will be able to play it on either system or at least have a discount on the version you didn't buy.

Nintendo will have less software droughts as they wont be providing different games for two different systems. Certain software will be exclusive though.

That has been the general consensus every since we started to speculate about the shared library feature.

There's nothing to explain. Nothing about the NX is known. Everything right now is people throwing stuff at the wall, hoping some of it turns out true in the end.

What we know about the NX: It's Nintendo's next dedicated gaming platform. That's it. :)
They've also interchanged between the words "system", "platform", "Console". Not sure if it means much though.

AdanVC

This should be on the 1st page tbh

maxcriden

People really need to let go of that damn (lovely) GameCube controller already. Can't believe mock-ups still use that as a basis a lot.

Other than for Smash, what makes the GCN a lovely controller? Sincerely asking because to me it was always the least of all of Nintendo's controllers, including handhelds (maybe alongside GBA SP).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom