• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, i dont think the price tag does the trick. Apple is also one of the best selling company.

If they will make it cheap so the power is compared to xbox1. Why will people want to buy the nx console? MS will make their xonsole even cheaper.
Exclusives? Nintendo doesn't need the console to sell more than Ps4 or even the X1 as long as both do decently enough to guarantee sales for their software
Also, about the rumor:
I know nothing but if you're expecting above PS4 specs you're likely gonna have a bad time.
You'll get some pretty games like Nintendo manages on most of their systems, at least

Eradicate

10k gave me mockup fever.

gJn8f7W.png

I was trying to pull everything together with this idea. (Had to throw in that bit about the hybrid.) Thinking of Nintendo's interest in AR, amiibos, bringing people together to play, etc. inspired a lot of this. I went with the idea that NX stands for Nintendo Crossover, as in crossing over games into ordinary life. I can't help but think about Pokémon Go or the amiibos, much less how their foray into mobile is looking and how much they want people to see and experience their IP. I then took a little liberty based on the discussions here (IR around the unit, those really cool squish sticks, etc.).

That said, this is my thinking and baseless assumptions. They want people to again just be playing "Nintendo." I have no idea of a product name, but they are just pushing "Nintendo" now. Handheld, console, whatever, it'll be Nintendo, and a (mostly) shared library will support this.

You've got this neat handheld with "Immersion Sticks" that can be operated more fully than any other sticks and provided A and B buttons. (Based on that Touchence video.) You have a touchscreen. IR is scattered all around the face at the edges to hone in on positions for motion and depth, also aiding in midair gesture controls. (Think of flinging your thumb forward to chuck a shell in Mario Kart wherever you want to aim it.) The L and R shoulder buttons are analog spring-loaded (kind of like some buttons on a digital camera) that can be moved laterally and pressed in. You got a camera in the back for AR.

But, what's neat to consider is how they might encourage people to play the system out in public and/or experience Nintendo IP. I imagined them offering Nintendo accessories (bracelets, lanyards, etc.) with NFC charms in them. The charms can be loaded with information from your Nintendo Account and enable other features. For instance, with the handheld, it can recognize (based on your bracelet) not only where you are in your game, but that you are a southpaw and it will change which stick does what function. If you have smartphones, you can use the NFC in them to load up characters and store contact information to add to your account friend list to play games and stay connected.

The handheld is also fairly plain aside from offering interesting colors for backing. But, they'll offer a slew of cases to show off your Nintendo. It's simple but meant to be stylish with accessories.

Another idea I had was for the handheld to actually mirrorcast onto a Smart TV (or via purchasable HDMI dongle) to enable TV play with the handheld. Could then emulate DS/3DS easily, and possibly enable Wii U-ish gameplay ideas. (Absorb that Wii U architecture!)

I didn't get around to doing a console controller yet, but that's next on the list. I'm imagining (basically) something Wii U Pro-like with a touchpad and IR array around that pad to save money by not needing a screen in the controller.

I'm not ashamed. Rip it apart. I just couldn't help myself.

Peterc

Exclusives? Nintendo doesn't need the console to sell more than Ps4 or even the X1 as long as both do decently enough to guarantee sales for their software

I think if wiiu costed about 200$ it will still failed in sales. Exclusive will come mostly from nintendo themselves. It will be not enough to do the trick. Also it will only last until ps5 is released.

I must say if you can see what nintendo can do in gfx with a lower power system, like mario kart 8 or mario galaxy. We can expect a top gfx wise tech demo on E3

iMax

gJn8f7W.png

I was trying to pull everything together with this idea. (Had to throw in that bit about the hybrid.) Thinking of Nintendo's interest in AR, amiibos, bringing people together to play, etc. inspired a lot of this. I went with the idea that NX stands for Nintendo Crossover, as in crossing over games into ordinary life. I can't help but think about Pokémon Go or the amiibos, much less how their foray into mobile is looking and how much they want people to see and experience their IP. I then took a little liberty based on the discussions here (IR around the unit, those really cool squish sticks, etc.).

That said, this is my thinking and baseless assumptions. They want people to again just be playing "Nintendo." I have no idea of a product name, but they are just pushing "Nintendo" now. Handheld, console, whatever, it'll be Nintendo, and a (mostly) shared library will support this.

You've got this neat handheld with "Immersion Sticks" that can be operated more fully than any other sticks and provided A and B buttons. (Based on that Touchence video.) You have a touchscreen. IR is scattered all around the face at the edges to hone in on positions for motion and depth, also aiding in midair gesture controls. (Think of flinging your thumb forward to chuck a shell in Mario Kart wherever you want to aim it.) The L and R shoulder buttons are analog spring-loaded (kind of like some buttons on a digital camera) that can be moved laterally and pressed in. You got a camera in the back for AR.

But, what's neat to consider is how they might encourage people to play the system out in public and/or experience Nintendo IP. I imagined them offering Nintendo accessories (bracelets, lanyards, etc.) with NFC charms in them. The charms can be loaded with information from your Nintendo Account and enable other features. For instance, with the handheld, it can recognize (based on your bracelet) not only where you are in your game, but that you are a southpaw and it will change which stick does what function. If you have smartphones, you can use the NFC in them to load up characters and store contact information to add to your account friend list to play games and stay connected.

The handheld is also fairly plain aside from offering interesting colors for backing. But, they'll offer a slew of cases to show off your Nintendo. It's simple but meant to be stylish with accessories.

Another idea I had was for the handheld to actually mirrorcast onto a Smart TV (or via purchasable HDMI dongle) to enable TV play with the handheld. Could then emulate DS/3DS easily, and possibly enable Wii U-ish gameplay ideas. (Absorb that Wii U architecture!)

I didn't get around to doing a console controller yet, but that's next on the list. I'm imagining (basically) something Wii U Pro-like with a touchpad and IR array around that pad to save money by not needing a screen in the controller.

I can't believe you used the Postman Pat font for this.

I think if wiiu costed about 200$ it will still failed in sales. Exclusive will come mostly from nintendo themselves. It will be not enough to do the trick. Also it will only last until ps5 is released.

I must say if you can see what nintendo can do in gfx with a lower power system, like mario kart 8 or mario galaxy. We can expect a top gfx wise tech demo on E3
The thing is, there weren't a ton of Nintendo games on Wii U.
On NX it might be possible to see one+ retail games from them every month.

Banned

gJn8f7W.png

Fuck 10k. What has he done?

Roo

Wii's visual masterpiece was Super Mario Galaxy//2.
Wii U's visual masterpiece was Mario Kart 8.
Wonder what IP will shine the most (visual wise) in NX :p

Malus

gJn8f7W.png

Nice lanyards :^)

---

Ok, i dont think the price tag does the trick. Apple is also one of the best selling company.

If they will make it cheap so the power is compared to xbox1. Why will people want to buy the nx console? MS will make their xonsole even cheaper.

All they need is an easily understandable gimmick with widespread appeal, combined with an award winning advertising campaign ala the Wii.

Simple!

That or just flood the pre-release E3 with hype games and big promises. Somehow I feel that E3-right-before-launch hype is a big difference maker. Heck, even if the games are bad just make sure they have hype trailers or are mixed into the highlight reel ala Knack.

---

I'm listening to Tamaki's podcast again in which he talked about the industry leading chips rumors (starts at 3:15 in case ya missed it http://www.gamnesia.com/podcasts/nintendo-week-episode-34). He didn't outright deny a powerful console was possible, but it did conflict with what he heard. "Devs working on the console told me they weren't making a weak console, but they're not trying to compete with the powerhouse that is the PS4."

I imagine a lot of gaffers probably have different opinions on what is "weak" hardware. Nintendo devs might say lesser than Xbone specs isn't weak even though it'd make NX the weakest home console on the market.

Since reading that ShockingAlberto more or less backed Tamaki up (I know it was a while ago, but I just found out recently), I'm throwing out the 'more powerful than PS4' possibility for now.

The hosts kind of extrapolated on what Tamaki said though, saying that the NX wouldn't likely be as powerful as either of the twins. Kind of hard to believe considering the rumors of PS4 ports coming. Ya gotta think it'll be somewhere around there.

latest

I actually think Xenoblade X is more impressive from a tech perspective. With that in mind, I wouldn't be surprised if the most impressive NX game is something out of left field.

Malus

I love Xenoblade X but those faces break the tech barrier for me.

THE FLAWS ARE THERE TO MAKE YOU APPRECIATE THE BEAUTY MORE

When the NX is revealed to be 1.25x the Wii U I'll revisit these gifs to hold together my sanity.

I actually think Xenoblade X is more impressive from a tech perspective. With that in mind, I wouldn't be surprised if the most impressive NX game is something out of left field.

Warioware like you've never seen before.

Hermii

---

All they need is an easily understandable gimmick with widespread appeal, combined with an award winning advertising campaign ala the Wii.

Simple!

That or just flood the pre-release E3 with hype games and big promises. Somehow I feel that E3-right-before-launch hype is a big difference maker. Heck, even if the games are bad just make sure they have hype trailers or are mixed into the highlight reel ala Knack.

---

I'm listening to Tamaki's podcast again in which he talked about the industry leading chips rumors (starts at 3:15 in case ya missed it http://www.gamnesia.com/podcasts/nintendo-week-episode-34). He didn't outright deny a powerful console was possible, but it did conflict with what he heard. "Devs working on the console told me they weren't making a weak console, but they're not trying to compete with the powerhouse that is the PS4."

I imagine a lot of gaffers probably have different opinions on what is "weak" hardware. Nintendo devs might say lesser than Xbone specs isn't weak even though it'd make NX the weakest home console on the market.

Since reading that ShockingAlberto more or less backed Tamaki up (I know it was a while ago, but I just found out recently), I'm throwing out the 'more powerful than PS4' possibility for now.

The hosts kind of extrapolated on what Tamaki said though, saying that the NX wouldn't likely be as powerful as either of the twins. Kind of hard to believe considering the rumors of PS4 ports coming. Ya gotta think it'll be somewhere around there.

latest
I guess we will have another low wattage but really power efficient console :(

I hope they go 14nm so decent performance is possible even at a low wattage but it's maybe to much to hope for.

Malus

I guess we will have another low wattage but really power efficient console :(

I hope they go 14nm so decent performance is possible even at a low wattage but it's maybe to much to hope for.

Well, it'd be nice if it didn't eat up much power. Lower dat carbon emission.

I'd pay more for a powerful and efficient console. Prolly not gonna happen though.

Gonna stick with Trev's info. Seems the most trustworthy.

Trev's info in regards to NX performance is essentially him interpreting the WSJ and crunchyg rumors.

He had that one recent rumor about NX being more powerful than PS4 but even he warned against trusting that one.

AzaK

I can say with a fair degree of confidence what the solution to Nintendo's OS load time issues with the Wii U is, and it's not faster NAND, snappier processors or anything like that, it's LPDDR4.

It's occurred to me that the Wii U's "slow OS load times" compared to the PS4 and XBO have pretty much nothing at all to do with the hardware performance or software implementation, it's all to do with how Nintendo implements the Wii U's sleep state compared to the other two. Effectively, when you put the Wii U to sleep the system is almost completely powered off. Espresso probably keeps going to monitor the network, handle downloads, etc., but it presumably does so using purely the 32MB of eDRAM, as it would appear that the DDR3 is completely powered down.

By comparison, the sleep states on the PS4 and XBO keep a lot more functionality powered up, most notably the PS4's GDDR5 and the XBO's DDR3, which is what allows them to keep features like "suspend application" working, and what allows them to have near instant-on response when you press the on button; the OS was already loaded up and ready to go before you pressed the button.

You can see the effect of these two approaches by the standby power consumption of the three consoles:

PS4: 10W
XBO: 12.9W
Wii U: 0.4W

Obviously those PS4 and XBO power draws aren't purely RAM, but it does seem that Nintendo's drive to keep standby consumption low has prevented them from implementing an "instant-on" wake from standby; they're not willing to increase the power draw by keeping the DDR3 wired.

I actually did a bit of an experiment with this on my PS4 and Wii U (no XBO to test on, unfortunately). I fully shut down my PS4 (which requires navigating through a few menus) and then turned it on again and timed it from pressing the on button to getting to the main game select screen. I then did the same thing with my Wii U. The results are actually quite informative:

PS4: 31 seconds
Wii U: 18 seconds

The Wii U actually takes significantly less time to cold boot than the PS4, despite whatever technological advantages the PS4 has. The perceived notion of the PS4 (and, I assume, XBO)'s advantage over the Wii U in OS loading speed is down entirely to the different standby implementations.

While I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo pushed the envelope in power consumption for NX over Wii U, I would be very surprised if the console consumed anywhere near 10W in standby. However, if they want snappy OS loading, they're going to need to find a solution where they can keep the main system RAM wired during standby, and GDDR5 (or even DDR3/4) would simply consume far more energy in standby than I can imagine them being happy with.

Which brings us to LPDDR4. As we've discussed earlier in the thread, it does have a couple of advantages in that it provides very high bandwidth per module, and would allow them to use identical RAM modules between the home console and handheld. The big argument I'm thinking of, though, is that LPDDR is specifically designed for extremely low standby power, as the phones, tablets and laptops it's used in need to be able to be left on standby for days or weeks on end without the battery draining. Although I can't find any precise data on LPDDR4, Samsung claims that their LPDDR3 uses 87% less power in standby than DDR3, and I can imagine that a similar gap would exist between DDR4 and LPDDR4.

LPDDR4 (or LPDDR3) seems to be pretty much the only way for Nintendo to ensure NX has snappy loading times while sticking to their low standby power philosophy, and given how much Nintendo has apologised for the Wii U's loading times, I'd be very surprised if it wasn't something that was taken as a priority when designing the new console.

This doesn't make any sense. The two systems are completely different. One is running of an HDD, one some NAND. One is Linux and the other is it's own beast.

The fact that they made the load times improve makes me think that it was a software/design issue.

14nm means definitely not this year, and questionable next year also. Would that be OK?

I don't know that it's definitely out of the question this year. Just because they don't have any APUs lined up this year doesn't mean they couldn't lead w/ the NX chip. Especially with their semicustom division being so important to them these days.

If NX is something like the SCD patent, where it's potentially being used remotely throughout the day, power consumption might be viewed as a top priority.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know that it's definitely out of the question this year. Just because they don't have any APUs lined up this year doesn't mean they couldn't lead w/ the NX chip. Especially with their semicustom division being so important to them these days.

If NX is something like the SCD patent, where it's potentially being used remotely throughout the day, power consumption might be viewed as a top priority.
Especially if the user can gain rewards by sharing computing resources. Some people would probably create SCD farms for as many rewards as possible.

Do you guys still think NX is coming out this Fall/Winter? What's the consensus on gaf? Anything to prove it will?
Before 2016 Black Friday (Nov. 25) I'd say.

Malus

Do you guys still think NX is coming out this Fall/Winter? What's the consensus on gaf? Anything to prove it will?

Most people are thinking at least 1 form factor will come this year. There were the rumors of shipments being prepared. There's also a recent tidbit we got from the financial briefing, in which Kimishima implied NX would release in the next fiscal year. Supermetaldave spoke with a developer who believed NX would come this year based on the timing of the dev kits.

Pinky

Banned
I think we can all safely assume, with 99% certainty, that the gimmick/hook will be tied to the controller. However, we can’t necessarily assume that the gimmick/hook for the device will jack up the overall price considerably. When I say considerably, I mean Wii U gamepad-levels of high costs.

If I’m remembering correctly, the BOM to produce a Wii Remote was somewhere between $5-$10(US). Nunchuk was probably less than that. The system launched at $249.99(US) with Wii Sports. Now, it is true that the hardware was nothing more than an up-clocked GC with extra RAM. It was, by no means, a typical power jump. However, I would attribute this decision to Nintendo feeling that the adoption rate for HD TVs wasn’t high enough to release an HD system. Either that or they didn’t want the focus of the system to be “OMG GRAFIX!!!”, but instead wanted the focus to be on motion controls.

Now, we jump to Wii U. A system(Deluxe) that launched for $349.99(US), accompanied with the gamepad and Nintendo Land. From the beginning, Nintendo sold these SKUs at a loss, but were able to recoup their losses through software sales(I believe 1 game sale per SKU put them back in the profit zone). Regardless, we got a system that was arguably slightly more powerful than the 360/PS3, systems that were already several years old. Say what you will about the gamepad(I love it), but it was the culprit that gave us the high price point at launch. I believe the BOM for the gamepad was determined to be roughly $150(US). That’s pretty substantial when compared to the BOM for the Wii Remote/Nunchuk.

We obviously have very little concrete info on what the console side of NX entails. If a touchscreen-style controller is in the cards for the console, it very well could jack up the cost of the SKU to the point where hardware power is not competitive(or even close) with the competition.

Now, I am aware of the Nintendo patents for the free-form displays. The patents could very well be related to the NX console, though I’m willing to bet these are related to the handheld. We also have the patent for the scrolling shoulder buttons which, if it becomes a reality for NX, would most likely be a feature on the console’s controller. Now, I don’t believe this feature alone is enough to call NX “a completely new concept”. There has to be more to it.

So, ultimately, if we assume for a moment that a touchscreen will not be present on the controller, what other kinds of technology could be implemented into the controller that would even come close to raising the cost of the overall package to the same heights that the gamepad did for Wii U? If there are none, would it then be feasible for Nintendo to introduce a compelling/revolutionary hook for NX AND give us hardware that is competitive with XB1/PS4(or at least close) at a good price point and break even/profit from the get-go?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.

I think that with nintendo power consumption is never a low priority :p

Eradicate

I can't believe you used the Postman Pat font for this.

LOL! Awesome reference. Pat's delivering all the good news. Bauhaus is a great font for legal documents.

Where are the buttons : / ?

The "sticks" are B and A. You can squeeze them for additional input. Depending on game, one stick can go directional for buttons. (Like C buttons of the N64 controller.) Touchscreen has button options along with touch. Each shoulder button has lateral left, lateral right, and a normal depress, not counting their scrolling functionality. Plus, with the IR noticing motions above the screen, you can have swipe gestures. Lots of inputs to me!

Fuck 10k. What has he done?

You bring the hype my man!

The lanyards ARE the platform!

That's...pretty good! Nice work, bud!

Thank you! You all are the ones finding all these neat technologies that realistically could be used in this thing!

Banned
A part of me thinks Nintendo might just go with the Puma APU with higher cpu clock speeds but with DDR3 and a slower GPU.

Oersted

What irritates me about these discussions is that they almost exclusively refer NX as one home console, despite handhelds still being around and Iwata hinting that multiple Skus could be happening.

Pokemaniac

A part of me thinks Nintendo might just go with the Puma APU with higher cpu clock speeds but with DDR3 and a slower GPU.

Unless they can get a handheld version of that, I don't really see any advantage to going that route. Supporting two separate architectures actually requires significant extra work from their OS teams, especially with respect to any shared library aspects. x86_64 for the console CPU is really only worth it if they're getting some huge advantage from it elsewhere, such as a significant power boost or price advantage over their ARM options.

Banned
What irritates me about these discussions is that they almost exclusively refer NX as one home console, despite handhelds still being around and Iwata hinting that multiple Skus could be happening.

1) official execs like Reggie, Tanabe, and Tecmo Koei president have called it a console
2) peoples LinkedIn profiles call it an unannounced Nintendo console
3) the rumors of graphically intensive games and industry leading chips fit the profile of a console
4) fuck handhelds
(this is a joke)

Banned
Unless they can get a handheld version of that, I don't really see any advantage to going that route. Supporting two separate architectures actually requires significant extra work from their OS teams, especially with respect to any shared library aspects. x86_64 for the console CPU is really only worth it if they're getting some huge advantage from it elsewhere, such as a significant power boost or price advantage over their ARM options.
Perhaps but maybe the custom SoC AMD is making is an x86 portable variant.

Same here. There was that one article a while back saying it was going to be a handheld releasing this year, dunno if that was debunked or what, but I hope it's true. Nintendo handhelds always have great libraries and third party support (at least from Japan), and if the shared library rumor ends up being true, it would be beneficial for the handheld to release first and build up a library that the home console could then piggyback off of. It'd be like the Wii U releasing with all of the awesome 3DS games already available for it at launch except in HD.

"Console" is a term that is sometimes also used to refer to handhelds. With a lot of information coming out of Japan, who knows how often there have been mistranslations and misinterpretations of the word.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
This discussion has gone back and forth about a console and a handheld. I think almost everyone who participates in this thread recognizes that a handheld is likely coming (probably in 2016 or early 2017, given the rumors) and a home console is likely as well, too (2016 or 2017). I'm not sure where the sentiment that there isn't recognition or acknowledgement of the handheld variant is coming from. I remember a few pages back some people getting into in-depth discussions of possible chips for the handheld given the constraints.

I think the "power" discussions and hype are typically centered on a possible home console variant because there is more potential for impressive visuals there.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the complaint...

Oersted

1) official execs like Reggie, Tanabe, and Tecmo Koei president have called it a console
2) peoples LinkedIn profiles call it an unannounced Nintendo console
3) the rumors of graphically intensive games and industry leading chips fit the profile of a console
4) fuck handhelds
(this is a joke)

1-2) Links?
3) Link? And industry leading chips isn't a home console indicator

Besides that, you are missing my point. NX could be multiple handheld/home consoles. Take 2DS and New 3DS as an example. One being a lowentrance barrier device, the other the fullyfeatured device.

Just look at Rise of the Tomb Raider for the PC. That's a game that went through actual development and optimization from a studio to run on current PC hardware. And yes, it's far from being perfectly optimized, it also features some enhancements made for high end PCs, but this is a commercial product, something that was made to be sold to customers. The demo we're talking about here was.. i don't know, an example of what the machine could do? A target render? It certainly wasn't as optimized as a commercial product,

I would argue that a technical demo is more optimized than a commercial product... as it doesn't have to run on 1000 different hardware configurations and drivers... and it's not really a game. I think of the impressiveness of the super Mario 128 demo back in 2000... I'm sure what was displayed (if anything was actually displayed at all) would have been something similar to this... Impressively crunching numbers and rendering polygons basically equates to "butt loads'' of characters on screen... or one ultra realistic render of a head (like the PS4 demo) ... neither of those things are actual games and dont have to calculate physics AI and other things like a real game would.

also it doesn't take much to impress people who don't truly understand tech... I'm hoping this stuff is true... but we'll just have to wait and see.

Pokemaniac

I don't think AMD are wizards.

Yeah, plus after the debacle with the Tegra-based 3DS chipset, I think Nintendo might be a bit more careful not to put themselves in a position where they have to redo the SoC late in development because the chips they have are consuming too much power.

Malus

4) fuck handhelds
(this is a joke)

Handhelds destroyed my marriage.

I am but a shell of my former self.

3D Land is cool tho.

no it's not... lit's possible.. but not highly likely... you'd have to try hard to make a machine more powerful than Wii U and less poweful than ps4

I dunno, gaf's tech savvy people would lead you to believe that it's very possible if not likely that NX will be weaker than PS4, if this thread is any indication, as well as some fairly well trusted sources.

Then again, I don't know a GPU from a CPU from a donut
screen
. So don't take it from me lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom