• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roo

no it's not... lit's possible.. but not highly likely... you'd have to try hard to make a machine more powerful than Wii U and less poweful than ps4
We'll see, we'll see...

Personally, if they go with a similar machine as the PS4 or even better then that's perfectly fine in my book but I'm not holding my breath for such thing.

That's probably me being cynical so idk.

If I recall, people thought the same thing about the Wii U.

I don't want to get into it as it hardly matters anymore... but arguably the wii U can do things ps3 couldn't handle... I don't think mario kart 8 for example would have worked visually or performance wise...

besides... Nintendo probably doesn't look at other consoles when they are aiming to make new hardware... they compete with themselves... and the Jump from wii to Wii U was pretty massive... either way... I'm not holding my hopes very high... but I constantly ask the question... "what is the point in replacing the "failing" wii U ... with a wii U equivelant?"

just my thoughts...

Malus

Oh the days of Project Cafe

It all sounded so wonderful

It's fair to say my expectations for whatever NX is are fairly low but I would welcome a pleasant surprise

Were those days that wonderful? I thought we understood Wii U was weaker than the twins fairly early on, though I could be misremembering..

What irritates me about these discussions is that they almost exclusively refer NX as one home console, despite handhelds still being around and Iwata hinting that multiple Skus could be happening.
Besides what the others are saying, I believe most people are generally not as worried about Nintendo's next handheld. It is a somewhat safe bet that the handheld will be stronger than Vita, and will at least have support in Japan to keep it from being a complete failure. Nintendo's next console, however, will face a lot more challenges and can go in more unpredictable directions.

Neoxon

I don't want to get into it as it hardly matters anymore... but arguably the wii U can do things ps3 couldn't handle... I don't think mario kart 8 for example would have worked visually or performance wise...

besides... Nintendo probably doesn't look at other consoles when they are aiming to make new hardware... they compete with themselves... and the Jump from wii to Wii U was pretty massive... either way... I'm not holding my hopes very high... but I constantly ask the question... "what is the point in replacing the "failing" wii U ... with a wii U equivelant?"

just my thoughts...
The popular rumor for the shared platform would solve the problem of Nintendo spreading themselves too thin in terms of software support. Plus the Japanese devs who would support the handheld would also support the console.

Lingitiz

Were those days that wonderful? I thought we understood Wii U was weaker than the twins fairly early on, though I could be misremembering..

I think most of the excitement came out of the Wii era and the idea Nintendo was coming back to "traditional" gaming.

And yeah while that ultimately did turn out to be true in some respects, it just wasn't enough.

The_Lump

Banned
I tried to explain this back in October 2015 to a lot of you guys but it went on deaf ears. Two unrelated sources reported the same type of impressive Tech Demo running on early NX SDK. One of the sources of course more credible than the other with the WSJ being more trusted, but both matching and with Nintendo Forums reporting it 1 day before I confirmed with the WSJ. That was definitely an "OMG...just got real" moment.

Unrelated websites, maybe. But afaik they were just echoing the same story.

I've only ever seen the one story, just worded slightly differently.

We understood nothing. And we didn't care.

Malus

yes...

but... OH THE SPECULATION!! and WONDERMENT!!

we WANTED to believe...

I still remember Reggie saying in an interview, "We understand that people want the best of first party and the best of third party."

;~;

I actually don't care that much about 3rd party support (save for a few exceptions like Psychonauts 2 and a some others), especially if the shared library thing comes to pass. But I'd love to see the hardware be strong just for the sake of it. One day we will see Captain Toad in his full next gen glory.

We understood nothing. And we didn't care.

E3 2011 gave us a ballpark of what the Wii U was capable of, and while the demos were pretty I believe the consensus was that it wasn't a big step up from PS360. That's my impression of it at least.

QaaQer

I think most of the excitement came out of the Wii era and the idea Nintendo was coming back to "traditional" gaming.

+ they had mountains of cash and gamers were kind of used to getting heavily subsidized consoles. I doubt we'll ever see $300 subsidies again.

Oersted

Besides what the others are saying, I believe most people are generally not as worried about Nintendo's next handheld. It is a somewhat safe bet that the handheld will be stronger than Vita, and will at least have support in Japan to keep it from being a complete failure. Nintendo's next console, however, will face a lot more challenges and can go in more unpredictable directions.

Jesus H. Christ, am I typing Suaheli? Thats my point, its not predictable, point in case multiple SKUs.

The popular rumor for the shared platform would solve the problem of Nintendo spreading themselves too thin in terms of software support. Plus the Japanese devs who would support the handheld would also support the console.

did you mean to reply to me? A totally agree with this BTW

I still remember Reggie saying in an interview, "We understand that people want the best of first party and the best of third party."

I was at the Nintendo Conference of 2011 when EA announced it's unprecedented partnership with Nintendo... there was a lot to look forward to... so much has happened since then... It feels like soo long ago... we're much older now... much more jaded...

yet... I still want to believe

I thought we understood Wii U was weaker than the twins fairly early on, though I could be misremembering..

Not really. "Panic Nintendo is best Nintendo" was the #1 meme at the time. People thought the poor situation with the Wii's final years was going to force Nintendo to become the next Sony.

Lots of delusional people setting themselves up for disappointment everywhere.

Malus

Not really. "Panic Nintendo is best Nintendo" was the #1 meme at the time. People thought the poor situation with the Wii's final years was going to force Nintendo to become the next Sony.

Lots of delusional people setting themselves up for disappointment everywhere.

Did people think Nintendo was panicking after Wii and DS? I thought that was the #1 motto for the aftermath of the Wii U's catastrophic launch, especially after their great January 2013 Direct.

I guess they were more panicking over the 3DS's problems at the time.

I was at the Nintendo Conference of 2011 when EA announced it's unprecedented partnership with Nintendo... there was a lot to look forward to... so much has happened since then... It feels like soo long ago... we're much older now... much more jaded...

yet... I still want to believe

In retrospect you can say Reggie took it literally and Nintendo gave us the best of 3rd party by buying Bayonetta 2. :D

Did people think Nintendo was panicking after Wii and DS? I thought that was the #1 motto for the aftermath of the Wii U's catastrophic launch, especially after their great January 2013 Direct.

I guess they were more panicking over the 3DS's problems at the time.

They had their first annual loss in 3 decades in the year preceding the Wii U's launch. The perceived panic came long before the Wii U was even out or its first drought reared its ugly head.

I don't think Nintendo themselves was actually panicking, by the way. I have no doubt in my mind they really did believe the Wii U was going to be the next Wii, another strike of lightning. The problem was people perceived Nintendo to be panicking before the Wii U launched, and that was enough to make their dreams run wild.

Nintendo's history as a company has shown that when they are doing poorly, they don't just resort to copying their competitors, in fact they do the exact opposite. The GameCube was a failure in their view, and they responded by making its successor completely different from what the other guys were doing. I expect them to keep doing the same after the Wii U.

Pokemaniac

Jesus H. Christ, am I typing Suaheli? Thats my point, its not predictable, point in case multiple SKUs.

The way that was phrased, it's pretty unlikely that there would be more than just single handheld and console SKUs right out of the gate. It was really phrased more as a hypothetical future strategy that their new approach would enable.

1-2) Links?
3) Link? And industry leading chips isn't a home console indicator

Besides that, you are missing my point. NX could be multiple handheld/home consoles. Take 2DS and New 3DS as an example. One being a lowentrance barrier device, the other the fullyfeatured device.

Agreed-- Industry leading chips inst exclusive to home consoles... and doesn't indicate one way or another...

however... when I read that article home console was first to pop into my head as well...

In retrospect you can say Reggie took it literally and Nintendo gave us the best of 3rd party by buying Bayonetta 2. :D

heck YEAH they did!

TheSecondLetter

Neo Member
Something tells me that the focus on Mobile integration is going to be a Godsend. Especially if you can play main console games remotely on a handheld. I can't count how many times I've wanted to play a game before bed to get notes for a review I was working on, but just didn't because I didn't want to go into my office to play the silly game. If I could play certain games in bed, that would totally entice me to go the NX route (assuming it gets great 3rd party support).

I didn't say the portable wasn't predictable. There was a good discussion here the other day on how/if Nintendo will handle BC with the 3DS due to the unique characteristics of the PICA200 not easily being emulates. It is just that the console was even more predictable due to its direct competitors and the Wii U's failure to sell remotely well.

thefro

Agreed-- Industry leading chips inst exclusive to home consoles... and doesn't indicate one way or another...

I think it's important to go back to the original article again:

Wall Street Journal on Oct 16th said:
The exact shape of the NX hardware isn’t yet clear. People familiar with the development plans said Nintendo would likely include both a console and at least one mobile unit that could either be used in conjunction with the console or taken on the road for separate use. They also said Nintendo would aim to put industry-leading chips in the NX devices, after criticism that the Wii U’s capabilities didn’t match those of competitors.

Note that "NX devices" is plural. It's referring to both the console and the "mobile unit" having industry-leading chips. And they're not talking about "super power-efficiency chips", because NX's capabilities will at least match its competitors.

Malus

Note that "NX devices" is plural. It's referring to both the console and the "mobile unit" having industry-leading chips. And they're not talking about "super power-efficiency chips", because NX's capabilities will at least match its competitors.

The article and his later elaboration seem to contradict each other a bit. Supermetaldave emailed the author and asked:

"Hello Takashi, I am a fellow gaming enthusiast from a popular gaming forum and a gaming website.

For some reason, there is debate on what you meant in regards to your statement that the Nintendo NX will have "Industry Leading Chips" ?

This does in fact mean that the NX will be using more advanced technology and be able to produce better performance/graphics than the Playstation 4 correct?"

To which he replied:

"The quick answer is "I don't know." Sorry!

-Several people who said who have seen a demo said what they saw is impossible to run on a computer without a "industry-leading" or "cutting-edge" chips. Cutting-edge in what way, they refused to elaborate.
-And an important thing to remember, probably you know well already, is that chip specs won't be finalized until much closer date to the release."

hope this helps, and plz ask me follow-up questions if you have."

It didn't help Mochi. It did not help :'(

Anyways, I'm beginning to talk in circles (or rather, I have been for quite some time now.) We need more fake mockups to pick apart. I like the one with see-through buttons.

Honestly, I'm not even expecting the NX Wii U to be as powerful as PS4. I'm thinking XB1. I wish it was, but considering how the Wii U turned out, its gotten my expectations really low. sigh.

ReyVGM

I was looking at the Nintendo store launch video, and Charles Martinet was in it and I decided to see to what other games he has provided voices to, and look what I found on his IMDB:

It says he’s providing the voice for Super Mario Galaxy 3:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0553409/

And here’s the SMG3 entry just in case it gets removed:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5311510/

Production Notes from IMDbPro
Status: Post-production | See complete list of in-production titles »
Updated: 3 January 2016

rxCdH8W.png

Again, I don’t know how official this is, but I believe you can’t just add a new movie/game or credit to an actor if you are a regular user, it has to come from someone official, be it either an IMDB employee or a production company or agent.

CrisKre

I don’t know how official this is, but Charles Martinet’s IMDB page lists he’s providing the voice for Super Mario Galaxy 3:

Again, I don’t know how official this is, but I believe you can’t just add a new movie/game or credit to an actor if you are a regular user, it has to come from someone official, be it either an IMDB employee or a production company or agent.

Thats pretty big.

Itshappenning.gif

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I was looking at the Nintendo store launch video, and Charles Martinet was in it and I decided to see to what other games he has provided voices to, and look what I found on his IMDB:

I don't know how this works, either. I think I've seen errors on IMDB before, though. Interesting that the voice cast list includes Bowser, Jr.

Also, I had no idea that the person who voices Princess Peach voices Toads, too. That's really amusing to me.

EDIT: Well, we know it's not 100% accurate because it says the game is being made by EAD...

Nintendo's not going to put their info up on IMDB including director and all that before the game is even announced.

ReyVGM

Anyone can edit IMDB, so I wouldn't put too much faith in that listing.

You can add trivia and things like that yes, but I don't think anyone can create a movie/game entry. I mean, at least I don't see the option to do so.

Nintendo's not going to put their info up on IMDB including director and all that before the game is even announced.

Not Nintendo, but Martinet's agent can. Just like Amazon leaks game info all the time, same thing can happen through an actor's credits.

I will remain cautiously skeptic about this. Let's see if this is taken down.
I want to believe

ReyVGM

Ah, I see. Tarnations.

I will remain cautiously skeptic about this. Let's see if this is taken down.
I want to believe

If it's taken down, we still won't know anything. It could be because it's fake, or it could because of Nintendo's ninjas.

TLZ

Banned
I tried to explain this back in October 2015 to a lot of you guys but it went on deaf ears. Two unrelated sources reported the same type of impressive Tech Demo running on early NX SDK. One of the sources of course more credible than the other with the WSJ being more trusted, but both matching and with Nintendo Forums reporting it 1 day before I confirmed with the WSJ. That was definitely an "OMG...just got real" moment.

Cue ShockingAlberto laughing and everyone taking it as gospel.

But the problem now is that people likely won't be willing to spend top dollar on a Nintendo console, especially this late in the generation. Not to mention the small chance of western third parties giving a shit about the NX Platform as a whole. Given the circumstances, the NX Console should be affordable & accessible to as many people as possible.

No offence, but you keep repeating this b******* like it's a given when you don't have a single source to back you up. It's like you're begging them to put out a weak system. That is not happening this time. They learnt from the WiiU releasing it 6-7 years after the 360/PS3 with similar power. That is just not happening again.

Maybe NX combined a powerful enough hardware without going overboard with much more efficient hardware and OS and thus giving much better performances. Remember by the time the NX hits it would be 3 years since both the PS4 and Xbone released. A lot can happen in 3 years with tech breakthroughs, and with the same price of around $400-$500 The result would be better than what PS4 and Xbone have. Add to that Nintendo's usual 'gimmick' and the people would eat it up not thinking twice about money.

EDIT: And all this superninja NDA isn't for nothing. They are creating major hype with this and it just can't be something mediocre. Otherwise they'll be committing suicide.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
EDIT: And all this superninja NDA isn't for nothing. They are creating major hype with this and it just can't be something mediocre. Otherwise they'll be committing suicide.

There is no logic in protecting a powerful console with a super NDA. Leaks would only produce hype, not hurt. Super NDA makes sense for a special feature or an averagely powered console that they want to control the way it's marketed. Or it can be just typical Nintendo secrecy. Anyway, super NDA=> powerful is not a good logical conclusion.

Neoxon

Cue ShockingAlberto laughing and everyone taking it as gospel.

No offence, but you keep repeating this b******* like it's a given when you don't have a single source to back you up. It's like you're begging them to put out a weak system. That is not happening this time. They learnt from the WiiU releasing it 6-7 years after the 360/PS3 with similar power. That is just not happening again.

Maybe NX combined a powerful enough hardware without going overboard with much more efficient hardware and OS and thus giving much better performances. Remember by the time the NX hits it would be 3 years since both the PS4 and Xbone released. A lot can happen in 3 years with tech breakthroughs, and with the same price of around $400-$500 The result would be better than what PS4 and Xbone have. Add to that Nintendo's usual 'gimmick' and the people would eat it up not thinking twice about money.

But that's just it, Nintendo probably can't go for that price with the x86 twins likely to see some kind of price drop this coming holiday season. And while sure, I would love for Nintendo to make a powerful console, I've learned my lesson about getting my expectations too high so many times in the past. As stated before, I wouldn't be shocked if the NX Handheld ends up being the flagship NX device, while the NX Console just tags along for the ride. It's not just about power, but also price. Given Nintendo's situation in the console market, charging more than $300 for the NX Console may not go over well with the general public (likewise for going over $200 for the NX Handheld).

And again, we also thought that Nintendo learned their lesson with the Wii going into the Wii U, or with the 3DS's launch going into the Wii U, & boy were we wrong about both.

ramparter

Banned

Keep calm and lose it.. AÀAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAÀAAAII8IIIITSSS HAAAAAPPPEENNNNIIIIIINNNGGGGGGG

Seriously this is too obvious to even consider it as true.

I need this to be true! PLEASE BE TRUE!!!!

Neoxon

Again, anyone can edit IMDB. No need to blindly get hype, guys. Granted, Mario Galaxy 3 could still happen, but this shouldn't be taken as any kind of confirmation.

You can add trivia and things like that yes, but I don't think anyone can create a movie/game entry. I mean, at least I don't see the option to do so.
I believe it depends on how long you've had your IMDB account. I'll have to double-check that.

Roo

I mean... historically speaking, ever since Super Mario 3D's conception, every single Nintendo home console has had a brand new 3D Mario game, so I highly doubt they're gonna start this gen with a sequel for a game from 2 gens ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom