• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

TLZ

Banned
Even though I don't believe that survey, let's say there's no smoke without fire. Let's look at this from a different angle, different interpretation.

- 900p/60fps: We know this is not a spec, so maybe we should interpret it as the console aiming for a minimum of 900p/60fps from the devs. No 720/900p/30fps allowed. In that case, I'm totally fine with that and is definitely a step up from PS4 and Xbone.

- 4K streaming: Just like above, maybe we should take this as the maximum the console can output.

If we take these 2 points that way then we should have no contradictions and issues at all. Some people said "but the WiiU already does 1080p/60fps so 900p/60fps is a step back", well not really. As mentioned in my first point, 900p/60fps might be the minimum requirement for any game to be on the NX. The WiiU had a lower minimum. So that's definitely a step up. Also, what type of games were 1080p/60fps? The Marios etc? These probably aren't as system stressers as your typical AAAs. So the marios would probably run at the max 4k, while the other AAAs would run on 1080p or in worst case scenario, 900p but should put out 60fps.

If this is truly the case, gib NX pls, huehuehuehue.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
No reply yet, I have my suspicions as to why (nothing negative). I won't give any new estimate on when things may move further, I'll see to updating you accordingly.

javadoze

Rösti;193284974 said:
No reply yet, I have my suspicions as to why (nothing negative). I won't give any new estimate on when things may move further, I'll see to updating you accordingly.
The plot thickens!

TheJoRu

Rösti;193284974 said:

giphy.gif

This is all truly appreciated, thanks for the updates!

beril

Even though I don't believe that survey, let's say there's no smoke without fire. Let's look at this from a different angle, different interpretation.

- 900p/60fps: We know this is not a spec, so maybe we should interpret it as the console aiming for a minimum of 900p/60fps from the devs. No 720/900p/30fps allowed. In that case, I'm totally fine with that and is definitely a step up from PS4 and Xbone.

- 4K streaming: Just like above, maybe we should take this as the maximum the console can output.

If we take these 2 points that way then we should have no contradictions and issues at all. Some people said "but the WiiU already does 1080p/60fps so 900p/60fps is a step back", well not really. As mentioned in my first point, 900p/60fps might be the minimum requirement for any game to be on the NX. The WiiU had a lower minimum. So that's definitely a step up. Also, what type of games were 1080p/60fps? The Marios etc? These probably aren't as system stressers as your typical AAAs. So the marios would probably run at the max 4k, while the other AAAs would run on 1080p or in worst case scenario, 900p but should put out 60fps.

If this is truly the case, gib NX pls, huehuehuehue.

It's smoke from a burning pile of bullshit

No one would put a vague minimum internal rendering resolution as a bullet point in a survey. The number is made up by someone with no technical knowledge, that's the only way it makes sense in that context.

It's also highly unlikely that Nintendo would enforce a minimum render resolution/fps requirement. That's a sure way to loose third party support, and are they going to deny all indiegames that use pixel art?

Hilarion

Even if it were true, I'd take 900p/60FPS over 1080p/30FPS any day of the week (I'd gladly take 720/60 over 1080/30, for that matter), and 900p/60FPS would be pretty damned attractive considering how many PS4/XB1 titles are 30FPS.

Someone said the post was gone and his FB was banned and nobody cares to fact check because it would confirm hot ninja action which is way more exciting :)

Oh, you're so mature. Yes, obviously people are far more interested in fact checking semantics and harmless ninja jokes rather than what Rosti may be about to post.

Rösti;193284974 said:

Even if nothing comes of it thanks at least for trying. :)

I remember when you first joined NeoGAF, Rösti. From your very first post you were composed and reliable. No pressure, but I hope you maintain your reputation!

Do you guys think that these rumors and "leaks" are hurting Nintendo by muddying the message of the NX (900p, handheld/console hybrid), at least for more 'hardcore' fans, or do you think Nintendo will have good marketing to clarify it completely. I wonder because the Wii U when it was announced was not clearly marketed.

Normally rumors and "leaks" don't hurt companies much, but they usually have good marketing.

Do you guys think that these rumors and "leaks" are hurting Nintendo by muddying the message of the NX (900p, handheld/console hybrid), at least for more 'hardcore' fans, or do you think Nintendo will have good marketing to clarify it completely. I wonder because the Wii U when it was announced was not clearly marketed.

Normally rumors and "leaks" don't hurt companies much, but they usually have good marketing.

The NX is barely a blip on the radar for most people right now, whether "hardcore" or not. There's next to no information, so nothing is going to stick until we know something more substantial. Marketing will come, but not until something concrete has been announced.

Yes, it's hurting their reputation in the eyes of naive people that didn't like the company to begin with.

MoonFrog

The rumors only hurt if they are widely held to be true and held to be something significantly better than what ends up being revealed. I think the former has little chance of happening, unless we start getting solid but ultimately misleading leaks or false leaks. Then maybe Nintendo will have an issue.

I see your point, and I've thought about this too, but the moment Nintendo officially reveals the NX, anyone who is in the trenches now and has access to these rumors will be all ears. And just like that, the 900p and hybrid stuff should go away. This is opposed to what happened with the Xbox One, where Microsoft muddied their own message during their own unveiling.

If anything, I think all of these rumors show a hype surrounding NX and serve to build curiosity. So to answer your question, if I worked at Nintendo, I wouldn't be too worried about these "negative" and potentially false rumors because it builds anticipation and, ultimately, when we do reveal, if we do it clearly, the false messages will be dispelled.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I would rather not go out of my way to get information out of someone. You never know if that person doesn't have accurate info.

I mean, what if I saw something about the NX? Something I wasn't supposed to see so I only have part of the information and I don't know what it means? I sure wouldn't say anything about it. And even if I did;

1. I love my job
2. I want to keep it
3. I don't want to spoil the surprise if what I know is actually hype. I prefer to let Nintendo announce it themselves and get the reaction they want

I would rather not go out of my way to get information out of someone. You never know if that person doesn't have accurate info.

I mean, what if I saw something about the NX? Something I wasn't supposed to see so I only have part of the information and I don't know what it means? I sure wouldn't say anything about it. And even if I did;

1. I love my job
2. I want to keep it
3. I don't want to spoil the surprise if what I know is actually hype. I prefer to let Nintendo announce it themselves and get the reaction they want

Your will power would collapse like a 105 year old MMA fighter's lungs.

Neoxon

1. I love my job
2. I want to keep it
Give this man a Green Lantern ring.

Yes, it's hurting their reputation in the eyes of naive people that didn't like the company to begin with.
You're right.

The NX is barely a blip on the radar for most people right now, whether "hardcore" or not. There's next to no information, so nothing is going to stick until we know something more substantial. Marketing will come, but not until something concrete has been announced.
I feel like popular site like IGN perpetuate some rumors. But I feel no one who's going to be a potential buyer would care about rumors, and most general consumers don't know nintendo is working on a new system.

I see your point, and I've thought about this too, but the moment Nintendo officially reveals the NX, anyone who is in the trenches now and has access to these rumors will be all ears. And just like that, the 900p and hybrid stuff should go away. This is opposed to what happened with the Xbox One, where Microsoft muddied their own message during their own unveiling.

If anything, I think all of these rumors show a hype surrounding NX and serve to build curiosity. So to answer your question, if I worked at Nintendo, I wouldn't be too worried about these "negative" and potentially false rumors because it builds anticipation and, ultimately, when we do reveal, if we do it clearly, the false messages will be dispelled.

The difference is the Microsoft actually announced these things, even if the took it back, it hurt them in the long run. If the NX rumors were bigger, or maybe even the NX itself, I think it would hurt them a lot.

Banned
"In brightest day, in blackest night, no news shall escape my sight. Let those who follow the industry's blight, beware my power, BY2K's hype!
Amazing. He needs to change his avatar to a green mask on the face now.
You guys are insane.
3DWjfOj.gif

Just want you guys to know that if I had any info on the NX, I would share it. I'm not a coward like BY2K.
Hey, c'mon now. NDA's are serious.
I've already told you everything I know about nx
Me too. Which is nothing. lol.

Ndas this time are job threatening and industry breaking so usual fools are silent. 1 western dev at least has dev kit but ndas insanely tight. Hence no leaks. No breaking of nda to say that .

Take it or leave it.

I still think the racing game will be diddy kong 2!

Neoxon

I'd like to congratulate BY2K on being inducted into the Green Lantern Corps.

51RrVNT.png

On-topic, when's that investors' meeting, again?

TLZ

Banned
It's smoke from a burning pile of bullshit

No one would put a vague minimum internal rendering resolution as a bullet point in a survey. The number is made up by someone with no technical knowledge, that's the only way it makes sense in that context.

It's also highly unlikely that Nintendo would enforce a minimum render resolution/fps requirement. That's a sure way to loose third party support, and are they going to deny all indiegames that use pixel art?

It's called quality, and in this day and age it's the minimum we should be getting. 30fps should be dead by now. Don't indie games all run in 1080p/60fps easily?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom