• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

It's a new console generation for Nintendo, back to zero. Wii U is dead, move on. If they have a solid concept and manage to deliver that to the pubs and 3rds, why shouldn't they at least have the benefit of doubt? Easy to port for the system? No more technical hooks that make porting a hassle? I'm sure the big pubs throw their yearly IPs on it then.

Sony f*cked up the PS3, MS kinda did with the mishaps of the XOne initially. Fresh gen, fresh start.

Since the 3DS does have a rather healthy release list for 2016 in the west, i think that the console variant is the most important one for those regions. The handheld one should have the focus in Japan.

And the only 3rds who would jump on a system with a massive focus on the portable variant, are the japanese ones. 3rds make mobile games and companion apps or nothing portable at all.

Now about the power level, it all depends on how deep (or if at all) the ideas from that one patent are in the system's concept.
Had this been the beginning of a new generation, I'd be inclined to agree. But this is the middle of the generation, where Sony's dominating & Microsoft is barely keeping up. As for the third parties, the Japanese are likely gonna be the only ones who will give a shit about Nintendo, so it won't matter either way.

thefro

Had this been the beginning of a new generation, I'd be inclined to agree. But this is the middle of the generation, where Sony's dominating & Microsoft is barely keeping up. As for the third parties, the Japanese are likely gonna be the only ones who will give a shit about Nintendo, so it won't matter either way.

EA at least, has stated they look at the platform cycle differently:

2dLrC38.png

Bsuhs2e.png

(this is the full quote BTW... the PDF it's from just has a break between pages here)

If I were Nintendo I'd help EA get Frostbite & Ignite up and running well on NX hardware.

If I were EA I certainly would be interested in releasing Star Wars games on NX as I think there's an audience match there (and Disney probably thinks the same way). I think the audience for sports games can be built and Madden/Fifa sell so many copies that EA would make money off a NX version of the game once they had Ignite already running on NX and it was an easy port. Keep in mind Nintendo hasn't had a version of Madden with comparable features to the competition since Gamecube.

Neoxon

EA at least, has stated they look at the platform cycle differently:

2dLrC38.png

Bsuhs2e.png

(this is the full quote BTW... the PDF it's from just has a break between pages here)

If I were Nintendo I'd help EA get Frostbite & Ignite up and running well on NX hardware.

If I were EA I certainly would be interested in releasing Star Wars games on NX as I think there's an audience match there (and Disney probably thinks the same way). I think the audience for sports games can be built and Madden/Fifa sell so many copies that EA would make money off a NX version of the game once they had Ignite already running on NX and it was an easy port. Keep in mind Nintendo hasn't had a version of Madden with comparable features to the competition since Gamecube.
But the problem is that there isn't an audience for most of EA's other games on Nintendo platforms.

The_Lump

Banned
But the problem is that there isn't an audience for most of EA's other games on Nintendo platforms.

...because most of EA's games are never on Nintendo platforms.

We can, and have gone round in circles with that argument many times in many threads.. Not really conducive to this thread though.

Not releasing such games won't change that either.

Nintendo can try to develop a fanbase for certain games/genres by releasing own games/partner with devs/pubs who make such games. But the ouput of one dev (be it the console maker or not) is not enough.

While i have all current gen consoles at home, i'd love to play 3rd party games on a Nintendo console. That is, if i'm not getting a dumbed down, content-lacking and/or technical bad version. That list could go on ... late port, too expensive, etc.

So the 3rds need to realize that sh*t ports don't do anyone a favor. While there are certainly good ports that bombed (which is sad), the majority of the multiplatform games that landed on Wii U were bad.

I dont need Nintendo to be a third party AAA darling.

I would rather they laser focus on their audience and deliver great content efficiently

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
First of all, great thread Hero of Legend!

At this point, everyone is assuming the NX is hitting this year. But why? I've seen rumors of dev kits being shipped out, production lines supposedly ramping up, sales data arguments, etc. But what is the defacto piece of "evidence" that is pointing us to a 2016 ship-date for the console and/or handheld addition?

Banned
First of all, great thread Hero of Legend!

At this point, everyone is assuming the NX is hitting this year. But why? I've seen rumors of dev kits being shipped out, production lines supposedly ramping up, sales data arguments, etc. But what is the defacto piece of "evidence" that is pointing us to a 2016 ship-date for the console and/or handheld addition?
There is nothing de facto. There is assumptions one can make when looking at what info we know. The Wii U's library of H2 2016, the 3DS library of H2 2016, the dwindling sales of both platforms, Nintendo promising Nintendo-like profits by next year.

It all points to a holiday 2016 release.

In this statement it's clear that EA is platform agnostic, nor do they limit themselves to '90s era console hardware conventions. In fact they specifically mention having an operating model in which they will develop common tools/architecture in order to increase their target platforms.

Thus, if the cost of doing business is low enough (i.e. Engine compatibility, low cost to market, recognizable dev tools) EA will follow in order to maintain presence. I'll finish by saying that the 3rd party "never going to happen" is getting a bit droll. If nothing else, we've heard more about NX from third parties than we have Nintendo itself.

There is nothing de facto. There is assumptions one can make when looking at what info we know. The Wii U's library of H2 2016, the 3DS library of H2 2016, the dwindling sales of both platforms, Nintendo promising Nintendo-like profits by next year.

I honestly cant wait for WiiU/3DS to be left behind...

WiiU is OK

Most of my beef is with 3DS. I like portabke gaming and Im ready for the next leap in this space

Smartphones arent cutting it and Vita isnt getting a successor.

My hopes are now with Nintendo to give me the next great portable games machine

E-phonk

Banned

At the very least Fifa, Plants vs Zombies, Unravel, Minnions Paradise, a Sims game and star wars games in general could/should do well on a Nintendo platform.

The lack of new software for both platforms and no/hardly new announcements point to a new platform sooner rather than later. But most importantly they promised renewed profits to their shareholders next financial year, and we all know that isn't going to come from 3DS and Wii U. They also mentioned mobile is predicted as only to be a small part of these profits.

So unless nintendo won't release new games and make all their profits with QoL, they will be launching new hardware.

Litri

WiiU is OK

Most of my beef is with 3DS. I like portabke gaming and Im ready for the next leap in this space

Smartphones arent cutting it and Vita isnt getting a successor.

My hopes are now with Nintendo to give me the next great portable games machine

I see. I have the same feeling on the 3DS, although I know there are a few titles that I will definitely pick up this year. The console is on its way down... so that "NX portable" can't come soon enough.

I see. I have the same feeling on the 3DS, although I know there are a few titles that I will definitely pick up this year. The console is on its way down... so that "NX portable" can't come soon enough.

Also having their new ecosystem under one umbrella excited me.

The separation and constant rebuying of software and shuffling of the library between systems is nuts

The future looks preferable to the inconvenience we have now

Skiesofwonder

The lack of new software for both platforms and no/hardly new announcements point to a new platform sooner rather than later. But most importantly they promised renewed profits to their shareholders next financial year, and we all know that isn't going to come from 3DS and Wii U. They also mentioned mobile is predicted as only to be a small part of these profits.

So unless nintendo won't release new games and make all their profits with QoL, they will be launching new hardware.

I would argue the software line-up for both systems are already better than last years output, and we are still in the first month of the year! Also, Paper Mario for WiiU was just leaked, plus Pikimin 4 is rumored alongside a Next-Level developed game for WiiU this year. If true, WiiU is getting an uncharacteristic amount of first-party support for a console that is supposedly being replaced this year. Though I agree that both lineups are currently front-loaded, and the 3DS first party support is drying up, so that's something!

As for the profit angle, The projected increase could solely be referring to the new apps, amiibo, software, and television/theme parks/merchandise contracts that nintendo has planned. I personally wouldn't put much stock (no pun intended) in PR investor lingo when it comes to projecting a date for new hardware.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm not fully buying a 2016 launch yet. It concerns me that Kimishima has double-downed on us receiving NX information this year in the 2016 plans, instead of just coming outright and saying NX will be revealed and launched this year. And at this point in the WiiU thread, substantial leaks were ramping up with 10 months to go before launch. We have heard zip about the NX in comparison, with rumors that major developers are still waiting for dev kits. But somehow this thing is gonna launch this year? Either Nintendo is somehow grown more daft since the WiiU launch, or we are (sadly) looking a year+ wait.

Sadist

At the very least Fifa, Plants vs Zombies, Unravel, Minnions Paradise, a Sims game and star wars games in general could/should do well on a Nintendo platform.
Especially Star Wars. Those tend to do well on Nintendo hardware. Activision's SW games always sold well on Wii for example. Both Force Unleashed games were pretty popular. If Nintendo can get EA back they totally should.

Banned
I would argue the software line-up for both systems are already better than last years output, and we are still in the first month of the year! Also, Paper Mario for WiiU was just leaked, plus Pikimin 4 is rumored alongside a Next-Level developed game for WiiU this year. If true, WiiU is getting an uncharacteristic amount of first-party support for a console that is supposedly being replaced this year. Though I agree that both lineups are currently front-loaded, and the 3DS first party support is drying up, so that's something!

As for the profit angle, The projected increase could solely be referring to the new apps, amiibo, software, and television/theme parks/merchandise contracts that nintendo has planned. I personally wouldn't put much stock (no pun intended) in PR investor lingo when it comes to projecting a date for new hardware.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm not fully buying a 2016 launch yet. It concerns me that Kimishima has double-downed on us receiving NX information this year in the 2016 plans, instead of just coming outright and saying NX will be revealed and launched this year. And at this point in the WiiU thread, substantial leaks were ramping up with 10 months to go before launch. We have heard zip about the NX in comparison, with rumors that major developers are still waiting for dev kits. But somehow this thing is gonna launch this year? Either Nintendo is somehow grown more daft since the WiiU launch, or we are (sadly) looking a year+ wait.
Of course it's better than last year lol. Last what had what? 4 major Wii U releases? Splatoon, Mario Maker, Yoshi and Xenoblade.

3DS had triforce heroes, Majoras mask 3D and codename Steam.

You're getting filler titles and spinoffs to fill 2016 in order to transition to the NX.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm not fully buying a 2016 launch yet. It concerns me that Kimishima has double-downed on us receiving NX information this year in the 2016 plans, instead of just coming outright and saying NX will be revealed and launched this year.

The investors would have been in total uproar had Kimishima revealed such a key piece of Nintendo's strategy for the year in a newspaper interview. All he was doing was reiterating Nintendo's previous stance, nothing more.

With that said, there's absolutely no smoking gun that the NX is hitting shelves this year. I personally think that signs are pointing towards it doing so for quite a few reasons, but it's certainly not a slam-dunk.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

AdanVC

I honestly cant wait for WiiU/3DS to be left behind...

Same. And my reason is because we already saw what this two consoles are capable of. They have already great games and we already saw them with it's true potential. There's nothing else left they can do with them so it's time to move on. (Except Zelda U of course. But I still don't believe the game will look as good as what we saw at E3 2014. It'll probably be downgraded loads but doesn't matter. Zelda games are all about gameplay and not graphics.)

Skiesofwonder

Of course it's better than last year lol. Last what had what? 4 major Wii U releases? Splatoon, Mario Maker, Yoshi and Xenoblade.

3DS had triforce heroes, Majoras mask 3D and codename Steam.

You're getting filler titles and spinoffs to fill 2016 in order to transition to the NX.

I wouldn't exactly say that Zelda U, TP HD, Paper Mario, Star Fox Zero, #FE, and Pokken Tournament are filler titles. That's a substantial Nintendo lineup, period. Much less for a dying console in its last year.

The investors would have been in total uproar had Kimishima revealed such a key piece of Nintendo's strategy for the year in a newspaper interview. All he was doing was reiterating Nintendo's previous stance, nothing more.

With that said, there's absolutely no smoking gun that the NX is hitting shelves this year. I personally think that signs are pointing towards it doing so for quite a few reasons, but it's certainly not a slam-dunk.

That's a good point. But If we don't have confirmation of a 2016 release at the Feb. Investor meeting, would you say it's time to start worrying then?

Ugh, him again. Fair enough.

He is right more than he is wrong from my experience.

One thing i found out early, is not too mistake a prototype for an actual product. Basically things I saw at Factor 5 and NST, never came close to becoming actual green-lit games. Meaning the above means NOTHING most likely, Especially when you make such a general, general claim.

That could be the case. Didn't we have leaked concept art for a mainline Metroid title from Next-Level games? Maybe that was the WiiU title they were "working" on, no telling if it made it past the prototype phase. Or maybe it turned into federation force?

That's a good point. But If we don't have confirmation of a 2016 release at the Feb. Investor meeting, would you say it's time to start worrying then?

No, not really. I'd say that April is probably the cutoff point- it's the start of Nintendo's new financial year, and they'll have to have the basics of the console laid out by that point for the sake of the investors.

TheMoon

Aren't they like 70 people?
I think they're barely big enough to get the 3DS Metroid game going.

Inti Creates is like 80 people (wikipedia source) and they're working on 3-4 multiplatform games at the same time
MonolithSoft was roughly at 130 people a year ago or so.

Just for reference.

I just don't like his attitude most of the time, that's where my tone comes from. :)

That could be the case. Didn't we have leaked concept art for a mainline Metroid title from Next-Level games? Maybe that was the WiiU title they were "working" on, no telling if it made it past the prototype phase. Or maybe it turned into federation force?

We had concept art for a Metroid pitch. Nothing more.

Banned
I wouldn't exactly say that Zelda U, TP HD, Paper Mario, Star Fox Zero, #FE, and Pokken Tournament are filler titles. That's a substantial Nintendo lineup, period. Much less for a dying console in its last year.

A j-pop mashup of fire emblem and persona, a Pokemon spinoff game, Starfox, a remake and another paper Mario aren't exactly mainline titles either.

But no point in arguing. The truth is 2016 is expected as the NX's launch year due to the suicide it would be to let the Wii U linger at less than a million sold worldwide another year and 3DS continue to drop in sales. Investors would freak. They pretty much have to launch in 2016.

LCGeek

formerly sane

Paid attention to EA on nintendo platforms since genesis. The idea they had support since N64 is a joke and no other platform type would accept what they gave nintendo fans. Crap and late ports is not going to yield an audience anywhere except on the biggest systems and that's due to numbers and consumer ignroance.

Both companies made their own bed but their problems don't get resolved unless both work together.

ReyVGM

Both companies made their own bed but their problems don't get resolved unless both work together.

True, but here's the real problem: EA doesn't need Nintendo. They never have. They've always supported Sega, Sony or MS above Nintendo.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Little more than a week left.

Nintendo's FY 2015 Third Quarter Financial Results Briefing

Time: February 3, 10.00 AM (JST) / February 2, 08.00 PM (EST)
Location: Hotel New Otani Tokyo (likely in the Fuyo banquet hall)

t1454461200z1.png

TSE operating hours are 09.00 - 15.00 (JST). I believe the earnings release will come on February 2 after the market closes.

Fuyo banquet hall:

fuyompudt.png

Kid Ying

A j-pop mashup of fire emblem and persona, a Pokemon spinoff game, Starfox, a remake and another paper Mario aren't exactly mainline titles either.

But no point in arguing. The truth is 2016 is expected as the NX's launch year due to the suicide it would be to let the Wii U linger at less than a million sold worldwide another year and 3DS continue to drop in sales. Investors would freak. They pretty much have to launch in 2016.
I think your definition of filler and big games makes no sense. Yoshi wooly world is big, but Pokken, a spinoff (disregarding the fact that yoshi is also a spinoff) made by the same people who made tekken, a higly valued series with a much bigger franchise to boot, is a filler.

By that definition, its not like nintendo got lots of big games at all on any console. Most of it is filler

Also, the wiiu never sold less than a million worldwide in a year.

Peru

Unfortunately they won't survive that way.

There's every indication that they could survive well focusing on their own niche. Well enough to support both a handheld and a console's separate ecosystems on their own? May be tough. At least they'd have to sell it better than the Wii U. Unified? Yes. They have new and old franchises that sell. The 3DS is a good place to be for Japanese 3rd parties. One Nintendo ecosystem will do fine without western 3rd parties.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Inti Creates is like 80 people (wikipedia source) and they're working on 3-4 multiplatform games at the same time
MonolithSoft was roughly at 130 people a year ago or so.

Just for reference.

It's a different scenario really. A) Japanese developers heavily outsource to even smaller studios for art / animation. B) Nintendo's demand as a publisher are probably very different from your run of the mill third party publisher looking to make a buck. C) Scale of the games.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Any reason to think this'll be any less vague than previous investor's meetings?
It's the first earnings release briefing of 2016, the year Nintendo has multiple times stated they would wait until to start releasing NX information. It also would likely anger certain investors if no details on NX came from this upcoming meeting; at least something about when to expect information on the mysterious system would be appropriate.

What happened with Rösti in the end ?

Itsfuckingnothing.gif ?
Bureaucracy. Still waiting though. I can tell however that my actions lead to something positive.

Rösti;193355768 said:
It's the first earnings release briefing of 2016, the year Nintendo has multiple times stated they would wait until to start releasing NX information. It also would likely anger certain investors if no details on NX came from this upcoming meeting; at least something about when to expect information on the mysterious system would be appropriate.

Announce that it's being bundled with the console version of Miitomo and watch the stock skyrocket!!!

Fawk Nin

Rösti;193355768 said:
Bureaucracy. Still waiting though. I can tell however that my actions lead to something positive.

Any eta on the info? Or indication as to what area it will actually be about? Thanks

Rösti;193355768 said:

I'll take what I can get in that case. Didn't Nintendo's stocks take another nose dive since the last one? Maybe the investors will show up with flaming pitchforks demanding reciprocity.

Sadist

Paid attention to EA on nintendo platforms since genesis. The idea they had support since N64 is a joke and no other platform type would accept what they gave nintendo fans. Crap and late ports is not going to yield an audience anywhere except on the biggest systems and that's due to numbers and consumer ignroance.

I know some fellow GAF'ers think Nintendo fans are salty or something towards EA, but I can only agree on the bolded. While Nintendo made their fair share of faults with third party relations, people can't deny that EA mostly handed Nintendo the short end of the stick. If they want to sell EA games on the next system, they need to acknowledge it's a two way street. During the Wii years for example EA had a real hard time finding software that sold a significant amount of units. Which was partially their fault because the All Play!-branding for their sports games really hurt their sales potential. Those actually decreased yoy. Or of course selling FIFA 12 as FIFA 13 didn't help the game on Wii U.

If EA releases good games on a Nintendo system, I'll totally give it a shot. Sadly the last EA game I bought was NfS Most Wanted on Wii U which is a pretty great port. Better yet... I can't remember the last EA game I bought on another platform. (I guess it would be Dead Space 2).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom