• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's called quality, and in this day and age it's the minimum we should be getting. 30fps should be dead by now. Don't indie games all run in 1080p/60fps easily?

I don't know but PS4 and Xbox games don't so why would you expect it to be standard???

It's all about developer prioritization as well.

What's going on?

bej1TXq.jpg

Banned
This just looks cross-eyed.
Yeah I couldn't find a good mask to shop. It was like a 2 minute gimp 2.0 job lo.
It's called quality, and in this day and age it's the minimum we should be getting. 30fps should be dead by now. Don't indie games all run in 1080p/60fps easily?
30fps will never die. Devs will almost always use extra power to enhance visual fidelity because graphics are tangible and easier to show off and advertise.

60fps isn't something you can show on a tv ad or advertise well since most mainstream gamers probably don't even know what a framerate is.
I don't know but PS4 and Xbox games don't so why would you expect it to be standard???

This.
What's going on?
I farted.

TLZ

Banned

Say the NX will, won't it make both the PS4 and Xbone look inferior?

I'm not expecting anything really. I'm just speculating, that maybe that survey even though it's wack it may mean something looking at it differently.

Yeah I couldn't find a good mask to shop. It was like a 2 minute gimp 2.0 job lo.

30fps will never die. Devs will almost always use extra power to enhance visual fidelity because graphics are tangible and easier to show off and advertise.

60fps isn't something you can show on a tv ad or advertise well since most mainstream gamers probably don't even know what a framerate is.

I thought 60fps vs 30fps is the easiest difference to show people as opposed to 1080p vs 900p vs 720p. I could easily tell the game runs smooth as butter. I couldn't tell which resolution I'm playing on though (obviously nothing less than 720p). 30fps hurts my eyes when moving camera especially.

Say the NX will, won't it make both the PS4 and Xbone look inferior?

I'm not expecting anything really. I'm just speculating, that maybe that survey even though it's wack it may mean something looking at it differently.

I thought 60fps vs 30fps is the easiest difference to show people as opposed to 1080p vs 900p vs 720p. I could easily tell the game runs smooth as butter. I couldn't tell which resolution I'm playing on though (obviously nothing less than 720p). 30fps hurts my eyes when moving camera especially.
Regular consumers can tell no difference. Might as well try to make graphics best as possible.

At least the information here is more satisfying than the Paper Mario Wii U on Monday thread.

Was it confirmed? Or confirmed to be confirmed?

Neoxon

At least the information here is more satisfying than the Paper Mario Wii U on Monday thread.

Was it confirmed? Or confirmed to be confirmed?
Emily Rogers was gonna leak it on Monday, but she decided against it due to her not wanting to build up too much hype.

beril

Shovel Knight runs in about 240p and is one of the highest rated games on Wii U.
Making rules for minimum render resolutions is silly.

So last direct they had to issue a statement about the fact that there wouldn't be any NX news in it. They can't do that each time can they? Isn't it highly likely that next time we will have precisions about the timeframe of the reveal?

ReyVGM

Shovel Knight runs in about 240p and is one of the highest rated games on Wii U.
Making rules for minimum render resolutions is silly.

Shovel Knight WiiU is not 240"p".

Just because it looks like NES game doesn't mean it has the same resolution.

beril

Shovel Knight WiiU is not 240"p".

Just because it looks like NES game doesn't mean it has the same resolution.

I've only played it on 3DS, where it's 400x240. But from what I've seen of the other versions it's exactly the same thing upscaled to 1080p (and in 16:9). So no, not NES-resolution but roughly 240p. Some pixel art games do render at a higher resolution than their art, and do stuff like smooth rotation and scaling & sub pixel movement, but Shovel Knight does not from what I can tell.
and it doesn't look anything at all like a NES game

edit: actually it seems Shovel Knight is 400x224 on consoles
edit2: hmm... it seems it actually does render at a higher resolution, some sprites don't align on the 1080p screenshots I'm looking at

Roo

So last direct they had to issue a statement about the fact that there wouldn't be any NX news in it. They can't do that each time can they? Isn't it highly likely that next time we will have precisions about the timeframe of the reveal?

Highly likely? not even close.
Remember they said Nintendo Directs would have a new format (whatever that means) this year so I wouldn't be suprised if they don't mention NX even once in order to focus on Wii U/ 3DS games.

As for right now, our best bet to get more NX info is their Third Quarter Earnings Release Schedule happening next week (February 2) and even then I wouldn't hold my breath.

Hermii

Power helps if you want third party ports from PS4/XB1. Power also helps keep the console getting ports when PS5/Xb2 come out (because NX is in between the two)
If you're hoping NX is future proof enough for possible ports from those, your expectations are way too high.

sinxtanx

Havn't seen this one before. Nintendo and Monolithsoft are mentioned as the Asignees.
Sounds like it might expand on the cloud stuff a bit (although I'm still reading it so it might be more of the same)

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2016/0016078.html

looks like generalized dark souls+miiverse messaging
interesting but not really for this thread, I think
if you think it's worth it, make a new thread

the fate of this thread is to be shut down by ModBot the moment Rösti's source bails

The_Lump

Banned
looks like generalized dark souls+miiverse messaging
interesting but not really for this thread, I think
if you think it's worth it, make a new thread

the fate of this thread is to be shut down by ModBot the moment Rösti's source bails

Yeah the more I dissect it it sounds like an expansion on miiverse. Don't think it's thread worthy.

I'll do my part with today's lunch. Getting a Big Rösti menu at McDonald's! So you see, don't keep us down! ;)

When were 3DS and Wii U officially announced? Were those in February? I forgot.
So it's maybe possible that there will be some stuff on this event on February 3rd.

The interesting thing for me is Monolithsoft name, could next game include it?
After Xenoblade Chronicles X, the only game Monolithsoft is allowed to do, is a sequel. So many undisclosed things ...
If that's a part of it, fine with me. ^^

maxcriden

(Sorry about the double post, total accident.)

If you're hoping NX is future proof enough for possible ports from those, your expectations are way too high.

Agreed. The only possible PS5/XB2 ports will be to the NX 2.0, assuming an iPhone style decision is the plan.

When were 3DS and Wii U officially announced? Were those in February? I forgot.
So it's maybe possible that there will be some stuff on this event on February 3rd.

I would keep your expectations pretty low about next week. This is an investor meeting and we usually get conceptual details at best from those. I don't expect a true NX concept reveal to happen there because it won't generally be paid attention by mainstream entertainment and other media like a dedicated event would be. My expectation for the investor meeting is that we will get at best vague NX details and a timeline of when the full reveal will be, and perhaps a confirmation or strong hint that NX in some form will come this year.

Neoxon

Power helps if you want third party ports from PS4/XB1. Power also helps keep the console getting ports when PS5/Xb2 come out (because NX is in between the two)
Ports that likely won't go to the NX Platform regardless. I honestly wouldn't be surprised at this point if the NX Handheld ends up being the flagship device of the NX Platform, while the NX Console is just tagging along.

geordiemp

Regular consumers can tell no difference. Might as well try to make graphics best as possible.

I dont agree.

And thats why COD sells 20 million every year (numbers from my ass, but you get the point). Maybe many players dont know but they know COD feels smooth and responsive...

Some games (fast / twitch) need 60 FPS, some slow games dont so much.

Fawk Nin

Ports that likely won't go to the NX Platform regardless. I honestly wouldn't be surprised at this point if the NX Handheld ends up being the flagship device of the NX Platform, while the NX Console is just tagging along.

I'm inclined to agree with this. Also, I expect Nintendo to focus on under cutting the competition price wise rather than overpowering them when it comes to the home console. Among the many problems WiiU had, I think the high price was the worst.

Hermii

I'm inclined to agree with this. Also, I expect Nintendo to focus on under cutting the competition price wise rather than overpowering them when it comes to the home console. Among the many problems WiiU had, I think the high price was the worst.
I agree. I think it NX home console will be featurewise more up to date than the current twins, but about the same or less raw power. Maybe better balanced in terms of cpu/ gpu performance.

The_Lump

Banned

Wut?

A game being 'Indie' has no baring whatsoever on whether it can run at a given framerate or resolution.

Secondly, you've missed the entire point of the post you are replying to. The point is; games consoles don't a fixed resolution/fps set by the manufacturer (unless it's hardware with a screen, of course). It makes no sense.

It was a random survey filler question, nothing more.

Banned
The interesting thing for me is Monolithsoft name, could next game include it?
Xenosouls
I'm going to add another fact I remembered. That Tanabe mentioned to Eurogamer that Metroid Prime wouldn't be likely on Wii U but instead on NX.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-17-next-proper-metroid-prime-would-likely-now-be-on-nx (Edit: Just be warned there are spoilers for the series in the link)

Any objections?
No objections. Colin Moriarty thinks it'll be a launch title for the NX. I think it'll be Nintendo's holiday 2017 game with 3D Mario and a port of Zelda U being there day one for NX.

Pikmin 4 is almost complete I'm wondering if that's an NX game or Wii U game or both. It should be ready by Q1 2017. Retro's project should be done by the same quarter as well.

I can foresee the NX launch year matching that of the Wii's first year with exclusives. God that year was legendary.

Neoxon

Agree with what? Third parties not giving a shit or the NX Handheld being the flagship NX device?

Mithos

Gold Member

Then for me, the next logical step would be to join the "Nintendo go thirdparty" please crowd.

Handheld is not enough for games "too me", I've done PS/360/U range now for "2" generations so its time for the next step.

Banned
I mean it is Metroids 30th anniversary and Miyamoto did say they were discussing the potential of both a 2D and 3D Metroid. And while I don't expect to see a new mainline game during the anniversary year I do expect announcements of the two Metroid projects this year and maybe launch the VC with Metroid games this holiday.

I'm almost certain that's what is going to happen. Hence why I think people need to dial down their expectations considerably in terms of both the power this console will be packing, and in terms of how much 3rd party support it will actually get.

Why would any 3rd party have faith in a new Nintendo console when the Wii U sold so little? Nintendo releasing an Xbox One power level device in 2016 is going to go wholly unnoticed by most people, I can guarantee. Especially if we get PS4/XB1 price cuts and/or redesigns this year.

It's the handheld that is going to turn the most heads. The console is a formality, to appease a niche within a niche audience. Nothing more.

Neoxon

Then for me, the next logical step would be to join the "Nintendo go thirdparty" please crowd.

Handheld is not enough for games "too me", I've done PS/360/U range now for "2" generations so its time for the next step.
Nobody's saying that you wouldn't get that. The NX Console is probably gonna be within the ballpark of the PS4 & the XB1 (though don't be shocked if it's weaker than the XB1). I'm just saying that given the success of the DS & the 3DS, it wouldn't be surprising if Nintendo made more of an effort to keep the NX Console's library in parity with the NX Handheld (& vice versa). If third parties follow suit remains to be seen. And of course, this is assuming the shared platform thing pans out. Or, to quote OrbitalMatrix...
I'm almost certain that's what is going to happen. Hence why I think people need to dial down their expectations considerably in terms of both the power this console will be packing, and in terms of how much 3rd party support it will actually get.

Why would any 3rd party have faith in a new Nintendo console when the Wii U sold so little? Nintendo releasing an Xbox One power level device in 2016 is going to go wholly unnoticed by most people, I can guarantee. Especially if we get PS4/XB1 price cuts and/or redesigns this year.

It's the handheld that is going to turn the most heads. The console is a formality, to appease a niche within a niche audience. Nothing more.

It's a new console generation for Nintendo, back to zero. Wii U is dead, move on. If they have a solid concept and manage to deliver that to the pubs and 3rds, why shouldn't they at least have the benefit of doubt? Easy to port for the system? No more technical hooks that make porting a hassle? I'm sure the big pubs throw their yearly IPs on it then.

Sony f*cked up the PS3, MS kinda did with the mishaps of the XOne initially. Fresh gen, fresh start.

Since the 3DS does have a rather healthy release list for 2016 in the west, i think that the console variant is the most important one for those regions. The handheld one should have the focus in Japan.

And the only 3rds who would jump on a system with a massive focus on the portable variant, are the japanese ones. 3rds make mobile games and companion apps or nothing portable at all.

Now about the power level, it all depends on how deep (or if at all) the ideas from that one patent are in the system's concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom