• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh5890

WTF! 3ds has only sold 54 Mill? I thought it was over 100 by now. Man that's a big drop off from DS

Considering the week start of the 3DS I would say that 54 mil isn't all that bad. Keep in mind Nintendo didn't get the Brain Age and Nintendogs crowd this time around.

Neoxon

Great thread with all the confirmed and "real" info. Thanks to the TC, I hope this is not locked soon as I'm sure well get some details in less than a week. Maybe Kimishima will just say "we are planing to show the thing at E3/Nintendo Direct", but I hope he discurses some of the "brand new concept" and the Nintendo Account.
E3 is a bit too late for an unveiling if they're gonna release an NX device this year. If any NX system is coming this year, we'll hear about it before E3.

Considering the week start of the 3DS I would say that 54 mil isn't all that bad. Keep in mind Nintendo didn't get the Brain Age and Nintendogs crowd this time around.

Also I'm fairly certain the DS didn't reach 100 million in just 5 years. :p 5 years was in Nov 2009 by that point, well before 3DS was even unveiled.

Or maybe it did...?

TheJoRu

Why is there hope for more potential details in less than a week? Is there some kind of event or investors meeting happening?

Yup, as Hero of Legend mentioned. I'm not expecting more than vagueness on NX, but what I believe could happen is them giving a specific timeframe when they will spill the beans, just something like a "before the end of the fiscal year" or "at E3". Shareholders will be impatient for updates on mobile and NX, so I'm sure they'll say something.

Josh5890

Yup, as Hero of Legend mentioned. I'm not expecting more than vagueness on NX, but what I believe could happen is them giving a specific timeframe when they will spill the beans, just something like a "before the end of the fiscal year" or "at E3". Shareholders will be impatient for updates on mobile and NX, so I'm sure they'll say something.

I think the best we could get next week would be a vague timeline as to the reveal such as "there will be some news about the NX before E3 this June". Otherwise we are still at square 1.

We'll know by the end of the FY if they're going to spill the beans before E3 or at E3, if they haven't already.

It'll be kind of hard to do FY 2017 goals without saying if the hardware is releasing in FY 2017.

Fawk Nin

I think the best we could get next week would be a vague timeline as to the reveal such as "there will be some news about the NX before E3 this June". Otherwise we are still at square 1.

I'd even take a time frame right now so that I can stop tracking neogaf with a microscope waiting for any news

Arkam

Here is a small nugget from the GDC 2016 "State of the Industry Report"

It was from the section where they polled developers on which platforms their current and upcoming projects targeted.

"And the new Nintendo platform, currently codenamed NX, appears to remain a closely guarded secret, as less than 1% of our respondents said they were working on a game for that platform, but 2% said their subsequent game would release for NX"

Nightbird

"And the new Nintendo platform, currently codenamed NX, appears to remain a closely guarded secret, as less than 1% of our respondents said they were working on a game for that platform, but 2% said their subsequent game would release for NX"

Thats because of NDA's right? They are so strict they can't say anything!

Right?

It was from the section where they polled developers on which platforms their current and upcoming projects targeted.

Considering that utterly miniscule distinction managed to fluctuate the response by 1 percentage point, I'd say that somebody has to know something.

EDIT:

Nevermind, misread that. Ok, so SUBSEQUENT games managed to change the response. Well, that could just be an expression in good faith. Doesn't necessarily mean they know anything.

Sadist

I know GDC is more of an PC thing, but that's a pretty low number.

Thraktor

What sort of percentages did the other platforms get? (ie was it 90% mobile or was there a heavy console representation?)

Scum

We'll know by the end of the FY if they're going to spill the beans before E3 or at E3, if they haven't already.

It'll be kind of hard to do FY 2017 goals without saying if the hardware is releasing in FY 2017.
Spill it, Shocking. What are you hiding? It's a software platform, isn't it?

Hermii

How large was the survey?
NX has support from 1%-2% of developers. Third party relations are improving already!
Thats 100% improvement! Not bad.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Sounds like they might go with a unified OS system, if they don't make a combined handheld/console is it possible if they make both they will go with a crossbuy solution or is that out of the question?

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
While on the topic of GDC, I can mention again that Nintendo's presence at GDC 2016 is miniscule:

nintendogdc2016akkt7.png
Source: http://fp37.a2zinc.net/Clients/fpUBM/GDC2016/public/eventmap.aspx?shExhList=1&Shmode=E&MapID=25

They only have these three small "booths" in the business center. I haven't been able to find any images of what this space looked like at GDC 2015.

In terms of sessions, Nintendo hasn't got any speakers (Steve Rabin will be there of course, as every year). Closest is Catch 'Em All: Pokemon GO and Real World Gaming by Niantic.

They can of course demonstrate NX behind locked doors, but in terms of public information regarding NX at GDC 2016, things aren't looking too interesting.

TriGen

Exactly. Their fiscal year ends March 31st, so I'm kind of guessing we'll have a clearer picture of when the NX is launching by then. Nintendo won't keep all their investors in the dark about their next fiscal year all the way until E3.

That's why it's safe to say we'll know ahead of E3 what year the NX is launching, because they'll either acknowledge it as a FY ending March 31st, 2017 product or not before that point.

If some people don't remember, there even was a memo on March 23, 2010 that Iwata put out acknowledging the 3DS would be a product for the current fiscal year (link), so it seems like we're getting closer to learning the truth.

Neoxon

Sounds like they might go with a unified OS system, if they don't make a combined handheld/console is it possible if they make both they will go with a crossbuy solution or is that out of the question?
Based on Iwata's comments, a shared library amongst the separate devices may end up being how the NX Platform pans out. But we don't know for sure, yet.

Zalman

Rösti;193494797 said:
While on the topic of GDC, I can mention again that Nintendo's presence at GDC 2016 is miniscule:

Source: http://fp37.a2zinc.net/Clients/fpUBM/GDC2016/public/eventmap.aspx?shExhList=1&Shmode=E&MapID=25

They only have these three small "booths" in the business center. I haven't been able to find any images of what this space looked like at GDC 2015.

In terms of sessions, Nintendo hasn't got any speakers (Steve Rabin will be there of course, as every year). Closest is Catch 'Em All: Pokemon GO and Real World Gaming by Niantic.

They can of course demonstrate NX behind locked doors, but in terms of public information regarding NX at GDC 2016, things aren't looking too interesting.
Not unveiling it before GDC would be such a bad idea. (If they plan to launch in 2016, that is.)

Arkam

What sort of percentages did the other platforms get? (ie was it 90% mobile or was there a heavy console representation?)

"PC is still a forerunner these days – though slightly less than it has been in the past few years – and mobile seems to be settling a bit as well. 52% of developers surveyed said they’re currently working on a game that will see release on PC, down from 56% last year, while 44% said their current game will come to smartphones and tablets, down from 50% last year."

"On the console front, 28% of survey respondents said they were currently working on a game for PlayStation 4, and 23% said their project was coming to Xbox One, compared to last year’s 26% and 23% respectively."

"Developer interest in Nintendo platforms has been low ever since the end of the Wii's lifecycle, and remains low compared to last year. 5% of respondents said they were currently working on a game for the Wii U and 3% said the game they're currently working on would come to the 3DS, from 6% and 3% last year, respectively.
Going forward, those numbers are likely to decline even further, as only 4% of survey respondents said they expect the next game they work on will see release on Wii U and 2% figure their next project will come to the 3DS. "

Trago

Rösti;193494797 said:

Surely they will have unveiled it by then or shortly after considering that they have to mention something before the end of March.

Vena

Not unveiling it before GDC would be such a bad idea. (If they plan to launch in 2016, that is.)

Nah. Information deciminates so fast in this day and age that it doesn't really matter, they could reveal and have blowout coverage at E3 and be ready by holiday 2016. They also have to consider their current line-up that is all crammed in the first two quarters, which include GDC, and they'd probably like to sell said products and backstock without risking "I'll just wait for the NX" mentality with concrete details.

The fact that they are stacking Q1/Q2 so heavily (and unlike normal Nintendo) should tell you that something is amiss for the end of year Q3 leading into Q4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom