• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The good news to get from that 1% is that there are actually several people outside Japan who got a dev kit or SDK to work on.

maxcriden

We'll know by the end of the FY if they're going to spill the beans before E3 or at E3, if they haven't already.

It'll be kind of hard to do FY 2017 goals without saying if the hardware is releasing in FY 2017.

No FY goals come out till mid-April though, no? Or am I misremembering? I think I might be misremembering and those goals come out end of March when FY '16 ends.

I'd be surprised though if (let's say at the end of March) Nintendo announced the NX was coming out during FY '17 outside the context of their bigger NX concept reveal. Maybe this actually points more strongly to a March concept reveal. Knowing when NX comes out might take a little bit of wind out of the sails of the announcement itself. Then again the lack of GDC presence makes me think no full announcement is coming till April.

Perhaps Nintendo will slyly strongly hint at significant expected revenue for FY '17 without a formal announcement yet of NX until after.

antonz

Probably. Then again, would NDA's prevent one from discussing interest in developing for said platform? If so, that seems like a little much.

Keep in mind that 1% is higher than I expected lol.

Generally when you are under an NDA especially for a Product that is not even Public yet there are pretty stringent terms on what you can and cannot say and many times that includes even acknowledging you are involved with said Product.

Once the NX is public fully things will loosen up quite a bit. That is not to say suddenly 60% of developers will say yep we are busy at work on the NX but it is certainly greater than 1%

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The lack of GDC presence might just mean that Nintendo is focusing on a mostly Nintendo driven hardware and doesn't really count on 3rd parties boarding. Which kind of fits with the lack of dev kits/leaks from 3rd parties

Trago

Generally when you are under an NDA especially for a Product that is not even Public yet there are pretty stringent terms on what you can and cannot say and many times that includes even acknowledging you are involved with said Product.

Once the NX is public fully things will loosen up quite a bit. That is not to say suddenly 60% of developers will say yep we are busy at work on the NX but it is certainly greater than 1%

If that's the case, then it looks like we have some NDA breakers loose.

Hermii

I assume these surveys were anonymous and would not be covered by NDA.

Arkam

The lack of GDC presence might just mean that Nintendo is focusing on a mostly Nintendo driven hardware and doesn't really count on 3rd parties boarding. Which kind of fits with the lack of dev kits/leaks from 3rd parties

There was no WiiU presence at GDC before launch. Only private meetings.

maxcriden

It actually means noting other than what most of (should) expect.

I'm grouping these two posts together. I agree with you both and I just want to kind of mentally steel myself for the concern trolling and shocked reactions if (and likely when IMO) NX lacks significant Western Third Party support at launch. I think expecting otherwise is unrealistic but between those not following
Nintendo closely, those kidding themselves or hoping against logic, and those who want Nintendo to fail, it's hard to believe NX won't incite some frustrating reactions to read through, however innovative (or mot innovative) it is.

Sounds like they might go with a unified OS system, if they don't make a combined handheld/console is it possible if they make both they will go with a crossbuy solution or is that out of the question?

It's possible, yes. It won't be a combined handheld and console, and it's looking like a shared OS is likely, so I do think crossbuy is entirely possible.

Exactly. Their fiscal year ends March 31st, so I'm kind of guessing we'll have a clearer picture of when the NX is launching by then. Nintendo won't keep all their investors in the dark about their next fiscal year all the way until E3.

That's why it's safe to say we'll know ahead of E3 what year the NX is launching, because they'll either acknowledge it as a FY ending March 31st, 2017 product or not before that point.

If some people don't remember, there even was a memo on March 23, 2010 that Iwata put out acknowledging the 3DS would be a product for the current fiscal year (link), so it seems like we're getting closer to learning the truth.

That's reassuring to know, for sure. Thanks for the info. I wasn't following Nintendo as closely during the 3DS and Wii U reveal. That was kind of my gaming hiatus....

Banned
Here is a small nugget from the GDC 2016 "State of the Industry Report"

It was from the section where they polled developers on which platforms their current and upcoming projects targeted.

"And the new Nintendo platform, currently codenamed NX, appears to remain a closely guarded secret, as less than 1% of our respondents said they were working on a game for that platform, but 2% said their subsequent game would release for NX"
This was on the last 8-4 podcast. Surprisingly more devs are making games for Wii U then 3DS according to that survey.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Well, we know that Soul and Vibe Interactive Inc. intends to pursue development and publishing licensing for NX.

Source: http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1515115/000114420415065991/v424455_10q.htm

This was stated in November last year, so it likely hasn't changed. But Soul and Vibe is a rather strange company, so who knows.

They were granted approval to develop and publish games, through digital distribution channels, for 3DS and Wii U last year. The question is if they have actually been presented by Nintendo an NX demonstration/information or if they are basing their intentions on just interest in Nintendo's platforms.

antonz

I assume these surveys were anonymous and would not be covered by NDA.

The anonymous nature can of course get them some wiggle room but it comes down to how serious you take your NDA. Most wont risk anything even if relatively safe and of course some will tease or hint.

Of course I cannot speak to how severe the NX NDA is. After the flood the Wii U was Nintendo may very well have gotten more aggressive in their terms

Roo

Surely they will have unveiled it by then or shortly after considering that they have to mention something before the end of March.

If they wanted to unveil it before GDC wouldn't they want some decent sized booths there for impressions, hands on, etc?

No games especifically, the hardware itself and maybe a demo like the bird one for Wii U.

TheJoRu

What are the latest info on the NX?

What info do you want? Good reliable info is in the OP; I guess there are small tidbits beyond that is somewhat reliable, but to be honest I'm struggling to come up with anything worth mentioning that we can say for sure. This truly is a case of "we got nothing".

Trago

If they wanted to unveil it before GDC wouldn't they want some decent sized booths there for impressions, hands on, etc?

No games especifically, the hardware itself and maybe a demo like the bird one for Wii U.

I'd assume it's like the way Sony did it. Inveil before E3, have shit playable at E3. Sony didn't show off PS4 stuff off after the reveal until E3 that year right?

ika

E3 is a bit too late for an unveiling if they're gonna release an NX device this year. If any NX system is coming this year, we'll hear about it before E3.

Yeah, I expect they to launch at least one NX device before christmas (I hope for the console, it'll likely be the handheld). But... Never underestimate the power Nintendo has for the three Ds: to delay, disappoint and do the opposite of the most logical decision available. :p

With Nintendo you never know...

We'll know by the end of the FY if they're going to spill the beans before E3 or at E3, if they haven't already.

It'll be kind of hard to do FY 2017 goals without saying if the hardware is releasing in FY 2017.

Exactly...

Maybe next week they'll say "Special Nintendo Direct/Live Direct" before FY to unveil the new platform" and call it a day. But anyway we'll see details for MyNintendo and Nintendo Account before as they plan to release Miitomo in less than two months...

Nah. Information deciminates so fast in this day and age that it doesn't really matter, they could reveal and have blowout coverage at E3 and be ready by holiday 2016. They also have to consider their current line-up that is all crammed in the first two quarters, which include GDC, and they'd probably like to sell said products and backstock without risking "I'll just wait for the NX" mentality with concrete details.

The fact that they are stacking Q1/Q2 so heavily (and unlike normal Nintendo) should tell you that something is amiss for the end of year Q3 leading into Q4.

To be fair we also didn't know Nintendo's Fall line-up for 2015 until E3. They still have unnanounced Wii U/3DS games.

ika

I'm kinda sad that Aonuma/Kimishima won't do a keynote this GDC... It'd be the perfect time to show Zelda U (it's like a tradition show some Zelda love at GDC from time to time, and the conference takes place after TPHD launch)... :p Or even the NX version of Zelda... *sigh*

Sorry for the off topic... -_-

Josh5890

Is this what it is like to be addicted to heroin? Desperate any little bit of relief? Nintendo is holding back the goods and it is killing some of us.

Banned
So Square Enix, and no one else? lol
Honestly, I think if the NX is really going to combine and share libraries of the handheld and console then all the support you see on the 3DS and Wii U, you'll get on the NX.

All the Japanese pubs will be there:

Sega
Capcom
Namco
Square Enix
Konam----lol

And the niche ones too. The big AAA franchises just cost to much to only release on the PS4 in Japan or the XB1 and PS4 worldwide. It'll get FF, Tales, KH, Sonic, Persona, SMT, Resident Evil, Monster Hunter etc. Maybe even Tomb Raider, Dark Souls, and Deus Ex.

And just those AAA games from Japanese publishers alone is a huge step up of support that Nintendo hasn't seen since the GameCube.

I think the western publishers that always stick with Nintendo and make money on Nintendo hardware will be there, namely Ubisoft, Activision and Warner Bros. But will it be just the casual, kid friendly games or will be see a Destiny Enhanced Edition, Assassins Creed, Watch Dogs 2, Arkham Knight or Call of Duty that aren't missing modes or content? And will the support be there past the first 18 months? That's my real concern.

The western pub I care about the most is EA, mainly due to Bioware and its Star Wars IP. They are the ones I'm unsure about along with 2K/Take-Two. If they release stuff that isn't dumbed down or hilarious like the ME3 launch on Wii U and then a week later launch the ME Trilogy for PS and XBox then the NX will be a fully supported Nintendo platform for the first time since the SNES does out in 1996.

Trago

Honestly, I think if the NX is really going to combine and share libraries of the handheld and console then all the support you see on the 3DS and Wii U, you'll get on the NX.

All the Japanese pubs will be there:

Sega
Capcom
Namco
Square Enix
Konam----lol

And the niche ones too. The big AAA franchises just cost to much to only release on the PS4 in Japan or the XB1 and PS4 worldwide. It'll get FF, Tales, KH, Sonic, Persona, SMT, Resident Evil, Monster Hunrer etc. Maybe even Tomb Raider, Dark Souls, and Deus Ex.

And just those AAA games from Japanese publishers alone is a huge step up of support that Nintendo hasn't seen since the GameCube.

I think the western publishers that always stick with Nintendo and make money on Nintendo hardware will be there, namely Ubisoft, Activision and Warner Bros. But will it be just the casual, kid friendly games or will be see a Destiny Enhanced Edition, Assassins Creed, Watch Dogs 2, Arkham Knight or Call of Duty that aren't missing modes or content? And the support be there past the first 18 months? That's my real concern.

The western pub I care about the most is EA, mainly due to Bioware and its Star Wars IP. They are the ones I'm unsure about along with 2K/Take-Two. If they release stuff that isn't dumbed down or hilarious like ME3 and then a week later launch the ME Trilogy for PS and XBox then the NX will be a fully supported Nintendo platform for the first time since the SNES does out in 1996.

All really good points. I didn't even consider that Nintendo handhelds have never really had a problem with third party support. And with no Vita successor, we can assume Japan'll be all over it.

The big question on everyone's minds is western publishers. Getting Bethesda, Take-two, and EA will be the real test. I think Andrew Wilson said in an investors meeting that they'll look at opportunities to work with Nintendo, but I'll believe it when I see it. Getting GTA and Elser Scrolls is sort of the final benchmark to tell us if they'll seriously be in the game, but honestly that's hoping too much.

Until otherwise, I think the expectation moving forward should be Japanese pubs and indies.

Banned
All really good points. I didn't even consider that Nintendo handhelds have never really had a problem with third party support. And with no Vita successor, we can assume Japan'll be all over it.

The big question on everyone's minds is western publishers. Getting Bethesda, Take-two, and EA will be the real test. I think Andrew Wilson said in an investors meeting that they'll look at opportunities to work with Nintendo, but I'll believe it when I see it. Getting GTA and Elser Scrolls is sort of the final benchmark to tell us if they'll seriously be in the game, but honestly that's hoping too much.

Until otherwise, I think the expectation moving forward should be Japanese pubs and indies.
I totally forgot about Bethesda. I don't even know if they've ever released something on a Nintendo platform that people cared about lol. Star Trek on DS and Ducati Moto for the DS. Lol.

AdanVC

True, but that's not what we're gonna get. At least, not just that. There will be some kind of "gimmick". I just hope it's something fun, well implemented and that it's not completely underused.

Agree. For example, Wii worked really well because the wii remote functionality was so intuitive and straight forward and it opened an ocean of possibilities for developers. Truly a revolutionary gimmick. They tried the same with Wii U but failed miserably so that is a sign that times have changed and people doesn't want gimmicky consoles anymore. People just want to sit, relax and play awesome games from the comfort of their sofa. People doesn't want to sit tight and uncomfortable while holding the controller very firmly so you can properly control the freaking character of the game anymore (Looking at you, Star Fax Zero...)

jahasaja

As shown in the OP, Iwata ruled out the possibility of the NX Platform being a single-device hybrid twice before he died. This however doesn't rule out a shared software library between multiple NX devices sharing an architecture & an OS.

I did read the OP however I do not think that completely rules out a hybrid. Or maybe I am just a blind believer..

BY2K

Membero Americo
There's no way they won't mention the NX at the investor meeting. Either they'll mention it or they'll answer a question about it in the Q&A.

Trago

I totally forgot about Bethesda. I don't even know if they've ever released something on a Nintendo platform that people cared about lol. Star Trek on DS and Ducati Moto for the DS. Lol.

Further proving my point about Nintendo handhelds never having the third party problem lol.

Banned
I did read the OP however I do not think that completely rules out a hybrid. Or maybe I am just a blind believer..

1401913528231.png

Literally the second bullet point. Second sentence.
2. Iwata's first mention of a new project that will feature unified architectures. (Source)

Originally Posted by Iwata on Jan 31st, 2013
"Last year we also started a project to integrate the architecture for our future platforms. What we mean by integrating platforms is not integrating handhelds devices and home consoles to make only one machine. What we are aiming at is to integrate the architecture to form a common basis for software development so that we can make software assets more transferrable, and operating systems and their build-in applications more portable, regardless of form factor or performance of each platform. They will also work to avoid software lineup shortages or software development delays which tend to happen just after the launch of new hardware.
Some time ago it was technologically impossible to have the same architecture for handheld devices and home consoles and what we did was therefore reasonable. Although it has not been long since we began to integrate the architecture and this will have no short-term result, we believe that it will provide a great benefit to our platform business in the long run. I am covering this topic as today is our Corporate Management Policy Briefing."

Trago

The stuff about the console and handheld sharing architectures is the most exciting. Think about how many games, handheld and console included, that Nintendo publishes in a year. Now imagine that all of those games are playable on whichever platform you choose in addition to third party titles that could potentially make their way to the platform. WHAT software drought? Consistent stream of software, that's one of their biggest problems. Addressing that, I think, will garner lots of good will for them. Of course there are other issues that they have to sort out, but this is a big one.

Banned
The stuff about the console and handheld sharing architectures is the most exciting. Think about how many games, handheld and console included, that Nintendo publishes in a year. Now imagine that all of those games are playable on whichever platform you choose in addition to third party titles that could potentially make their way to the platform. WHAT software drought? Consistent stream of software, that's one of their biggest problems. Addressing that, I think, will garner lots of good will for them. Of course there are other issues that they have to sort out, but this is a big one.
Yup. You'd literally get a AAA Nintendo release every month. Plus some third party games mixed in. It's Nintendo's way of making the NX survive if they don't get third party support.
They'll mention that it's a new idea to look forward to.
Please understand and please be excited as we talk about the NX later in the year.

Pif

Banned
I wonder how the absence of a competitor in the handheld segment is going to affect NXportable popularity. So far Nintendo is the only confirmed company to be working on one.

Assuming both NX consoles share an OS, Would be funny if NX console picks up steam due to good support aimed at the portable machine, like usual on Nintendo, and gathers attention from devs without actually earning said attention directly.

Sony bowing out of the portable market might become a godsend for a Nintendo home console.

One of the lead designers of the NX handheld me thinks.

https://gyazo.com/b9a863ebdf33c3d059569b68a26a50f9

Do you really want an AMD powered handheld? Have they shown off anything decent in regards to ultra low power processor in the last 5 years?
I wonder how the absence of a competitor in the handheld segment is going to affect NXportable popularity. So far Nintendo is the only confirmed company to be working on one.

Assuming both NX consoles share an OS, Would be funny if NX console picks up steam due to good support aimed at the portable machine, like usual on Nintendo, and gathers attention from devs without actually earning said attention directly.

Sony bowing out of the portable market might become a godsend for a Nintendo home console.
Do you think the Vita was that huge of a competitor? The handheld market has gotten crushed recently, and a lot of that is due to lack of interest in either handheld.

That's exactly what their line of new chips is supposed to fix.

OK, I'll let you substantiate that. The current and most recently leaked roadmap doesn't even mention ultra low power devices. There's a big gap in <25W "Performance" tablets and <5W mobile devices.

Pif

Banned
Do you really want an AMD powered handheld? Have they shown off anything decent in regards to ultra low power processor in the last 5 years?

Do you think the Vita was that huge of a competitor? The handheld market has gotten crushed recently, and a lot of that is due to lack of interest in either handheld.
First 2 years, yes. 3DS could be a few million ahead now if it was alone at launch.

Neoxon

That's the theory in a nutshell. In said theory, the NX Handheld would serve as the flagship NX device for most third parties to target, while the NX Console (being, for argument's sake, a bit below the Xbox One) uses the same everything but with a higher grade of CPU & GPU. As more support comes to the NX Platform, it'll make western third parties a bit more willing to support the NX Platform as a whole. The only issue with this scenario is that Nintendo will have to prove that supporting the NX Console alone is a viable option (in case certain third party developers are not willing to scale their games down).

An AMD/Qualcomm collaboration would work wonders here.

Qualcomm has Adreno already. And actually bought that division FROM what is now AMD.
First 2 years, yes. 3DS could be a few million ahead now if it was alone at launch.

We would still be talking, what, 60M in four years VS the DS doing 100M in 5 years and PSP doing 65-70M in the same time frame? The handheld market is compacting, just like the console market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom