• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone who works in supply chain and logistics seeing this post made my week. It needs to be bronzed and hung for all to see.

We need more business classses here on gaf, more things like this that help people understand what really goes on behind the scenes.
Agreed!! This is above and beyond anything I've read in gaf.

Hermii

I wonder, will there ever be a brand new smash bros game? They got such a solid foundation now they can just keep adding content to it forever.

Prediction: the new smash is called "smash for nx handheld" and "smash for nx console" and they will be based on the wii u version with some unique stages and modes for each version. A couple of new characters (ice climbers) and the game will receive dlc support.

I wonder, will there ever be a brand new smash bros game? They got such a solid foundation now they can just keep adding content to it forever.

Prediction: the new smash is called "smash for nx handheld" and "smash for nx console" and they will be based on the wii u version with some unique stages and modes for each version. A couple of new characters (ice climbers) and the game will receive dlc support.

That's already happening with a lot of the most popular games being played today. So I say why not on consoles.

They dont need to honestly

Just build it as a platform/service and continue to add/update it

I mean... eventually they may want to reboot and make an even crazier title but I can wait a long time given what Smash 4 has given us

Thraktor

As someone who works in supply chain and logistics seeing this post made my week. It needs to be bronzed and hung for all to see.

We need more business classses here on gaf, more things like this that help people understand what really goes on behind the scenes.

Thanks for quoting this, I hadn't seen Terrell's post when they originally posted it, and it's good to have some actual numbers to put to logistics costs for things like this. I can also add, from my limited experience with international freight, that air freight would increase the costs considerably over what Terrell posted, hence increasing the savings from, for example, smaller game cases. I don't imagine Nintendo would use air-freight often for games (more likely for hardware post-launch to cope with demand), but worth considering.

It's an analyst opinion, but it seems that firm makes forecast based on discussions with suppliers

Yes, not a cast-iron confirmation by any means, but combined with the Macronix news, evidence is pointing heavily towards a handheld release this year.

About Matronix: so, their fiscal year is the same as the calendar year? In that case, I'd say your point has solid ground.

If their fourth quarter results are in late January then it's either aligned to the calendar year or very close to it.

Perfectly fine with complete Wii U ports. It could breathe life into Mario Kart 8 again. While they're at it, some of the Wii catalog. Tatsunoko vs Capcom HD would be a very nice surprise launch title.

Perfectly fine with complete Wii U ports. It could breathe life into Mario Kart 8 again. While they're at it, some of the Wii catalog. Tatsunoko vs Capcom HD would be a very nice surprise launch title.

Wouldnt mind a Back Catalog overhaul too

Solidify the legacy library

I imagine NX would be powerful enough to emulate every game all the way up to Wii

Could be a ridiculously robust persistent library of Nintendo games accessible on the NX

If they are serious about doing that. They should be damnit

It's a great post, but it still serves to highlight the major price difference between the two mediums, even after factoring in the substantial savings on the logistics side. And that's using a very high price per disc (Nintendo are surely getting a better deal when they order in the hundreds of thousands vs. 10,000) and a very low price for NAND -- the proposed 32 GB and 64 GB varieties are going to cost alot more at least in the short to medium term.

I've been open to the idea that they may ditch the optical drive since the beginning, but I don't believe the time is right yet for such large capacity removable flash storage. Digital will be the successor to optical, with physical media becoming more of a token for collectors. Let's even look at Reggie's quote on the subject:
Conversely, games like Smash Bros. 3DS, a game where consumers invest a lot of time mastering move sets and really becoming an expert with a particular character. While it would never happen, the consumer is afraid they're going to lose the data and so it's in a physical form because they feel more secure having the card."
He's not raising the same issues we raise! He's talking about losing save data, and brushing it off at that. That type of storage could easily be done in the form of small Game Cards and NFC.

Anyway, I don't mean to open up that can of worms again, but the cost advantage of having a single format is in no way a certainty in 2016.

Thraktor

The eSports world tends to include a lot of games which have a very long shelf life and are continuously updated (DOTA2, CS:GO, LoL, SC2, SFIV, etc.). If Nintendo wanted to position Smash Bros as an eSports game it would make sense to just port Smash Bros to NX for launch, and then just keep updating it and adding to it from there, even for future NX hardware, without ever necessarily releasing a Smash Bros 5 (or whatever number it would be up to at that point).

It's a great post, but it still serves to highlight the major price difference between the two mediums, even after factoring in the substantial savings on the logistics side. And that's using a very high price per disc (Nintendo are surely getting a better deal when they order in the hundreds of thousands vs. 10,000) and a very low price for NAND -- the proposed 32 GB and 64 GB varieties are going to cost alot more at least in the short to medium term.

I've been open to the idea that they may ditch the optical drive since the beginning, but I don't believe the time is right yet for such large capacity removable flash storage. Digital will be the successor to optical, with physical media becoming more of a token for collectors. Let's even look at Reggie's quote on the subject:
He's not raising the same issues we raise! He's talking about losing save data, and brushing it off at that. That type of storage could easily be done in the form of small Game Cards and NFC.

Anyway, I don't mean to open up that can of worms again, but the cost advantage of having a single format is in no way a certainty in 2016.

It does highlight an interesting choice Nintendo would have to make if they were to go with a game card-only approach, though:

Would they use DVD/BR size cases or 3DS size cases?

The latter would save significant logistical costs, but make the games less prominent on store shelves than PS4/XBO games. It could also give the impression that the games are primarily handheld games, which you may also happen to be able to play on a console (which may or may not be true, but Nintendo doesn't want people to think it's true). The former, though, would end up with a tiny game card sitting in a big empty case, which would look more than a little ridiculous.

The eSports world tends to include a lot of games which have a very long shelf life and are continuously updated (DOTA2, CS:GO, LoL, SC2, SFIV, etc.). If Nintendo wanted to position Smash Bros as an eSports game it would make sense to just port Smash Bros to NX for launch, and then just keep updating it and adding to it from there, even for future NX hardware, without ever necessarily releasing a Smash Bros 5 (or whatever number it would be up to at that point).

Exactly

One of many reasons why Persistent Smash platform makes sense

I don't think they will need 2 versions, just a game that supports multiple specs at launch, like any PC or mobile game. Some features could be unique to one system, like single screen multiplayer would obviously only work on console, but I think it's realistic that they could ship as a single 16gb card.

Thraktor

So is the reveal in March, do you Believe ?

The full reveal, in the sense of actually showing off real games, likely isn't until E3 in June. They'll probably "reveal" the console at some point beforehand (i.e. reveal the name, any new features and maybe show a couple of tech demos), but that could be anytime before E3, even a day before it.

Well, based on the Macronix business, I'm really starting to think a new handheld is what we have in store for us this year. I think I'm pretty much done with handheld gaming unless there's some kind of particularly special hook. I'm betting we'll have to wait for 2017 to see the true Wii U successor.

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/692763133811781632

CZ0wZh_WcAA2EU3.jpg

Unless things really have gotten crazy and the console will use cartridges of course, but I just have a very hard time believing it.

tesla246

We are not 100% certain macronix to be responsible for the memory correct? What are their other business operations/markets they offer?
If I remember correctly, macronix also made the chip in the Gamecube component cable though that was about 15 years ago.

It does highlight an interesting choice Nintendo would have to make if they were to go with a game card-only approach, though:

Would they use DVD/BR size cases or 3DS size cases?

The latter would save significant logistical costs, but make the games less prominent on store shelves than PS4/XBO games. It could also give the impression that the games are primarily handheld games, which you may also happen to be able to play on a console (which may or may not be true, but Nintendo doesn't want people to think it's true). The former, though, would end up with a tiny game card sitting in a big empty case, which would look more than a little ridiculous.

Valid points, indeed. Some analyst has probably been having a hell of a time weighing visibility and image vs. logistical costs. I'm not sure where I stand on that issue.

I don't think they will need 2 versions, just a game that supports multiple specs at launch, like any PC or mobile game. Some features could be unique to one system, like single screen multiplayer would obviously only work on console, but I think it's realistic that they could ship as a single 16gb card.

Let's get some 8 GB cards first. Macronix has just practically confirmed ROM cards, so that should put the NAND speculation to rest.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
We are not 100% certain macronix to be responsible for the memory configuration, correct? What are their other business operations/markets they offer?
If I remember correctly, macronix also made the chip in the Gamecube component cable though that was about 15 years ago.
As I wrote in the Macronix thread, a better translation is needed for us to fully understand what Macronix will be providing for NX. It appears to be some kind of ROM-related stuff however, which they offer in sizes between 16 Mb - 32 Gb.

They also deal with Flash and PCN/EOL products/services.

Update: Should be Mega-/Gigabit, not byte.

tesla246

Valid points, indeed. Some analyst has probably been having a hell of a time weighing visibility and image vs. logistical costs. I'm not sure where I stand on that issue.

Let's get some 8 GB cards first. Macronix has just practically confirmed ROM cards, so that should put the NAND speculation to rest.

Isn't shelve space initially determined by money/relationships and later on influenced by how much it sells? Because if true, it may be offset by the fact that the amount of games to be displayed on shelves for visibility may increase, due to the smaller cases, to the point it the difference becomes negligible, or slightly positive overall. Also, important releases may get a larger/double/ triple spot.

Rösti;193583246 said:
As I wrote in the Macronix thread, a better translation is needed for us to fully understand what Macronix will be providing for NX. It appears to be some kind of ROM-related stuff however, which they offer in sizes between 16 MB - 32 GB.

They also deal with Flash and PCN/EOL products/services.

Nice piece of info, it certainly seems plausible. Tyrell's post about optical media and cartridges was enlightening. It would be interesting to know how much a ROM cartridge costs for each GB size. And furthermore, how it theoretically may scale in production cost wise from 2017 and beyond, especially since it presumably will be custom made for Nintendo again. An interesting thing to note is that Nintendo game sizes in GB are generally low, even for wiiu, so solid state ROM may be a viable option even for NX console.

For the cases I say taking after the Vita would be a great idea because they're smaller and thinner than 3DS cases. Especially with manuals basically being extremely rare these days, you don't need a case thick enough to hold anything more than a cart and a slip of paper.

MilkBeard

A new console is always exciting. Not sure if I will be a day one buyer of a new Nintendo product anymore, or any game system for that matter. I'll be in transition later this year so I may have to slim down my collection as it is.

But perhaps if Nintendo can do the right things I'll keep my ears and eyes open. If they can somehow secure good 3rd party RPGs (Dragon Quest 11 is a good start) then I would have to consider it.

tebunker

Banned
Also for all we know Nintendo could have stumbled upon some amazing compression technology that allows them to get bigger games smashes down in to more inexpensive carts. So we will see.

Cartridges are almost a necessity for portable gaming if they plan on having a physical medium at all.

Man I think we can all agree that we would all be a lot happier if we got that reveal direct right after the investors debriefing.

NX = Non-eXistent. It is nothing. You will get nothing. You are nothing. It might as well be as hyped as the oxygen in the air or the lead in the water.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ok! But I think it's normal to expect a decent jump between gens, Street Fighter 4 was 4 times the size of the largest DS games.

Actually, for curiosity's sake, what's been the usual jump in size between gens for carts (especially the last ones)?

Diffense

If Nintendo decides against discs for the NX console for consistency with the handheld then they'd better come up with a fancy marketing name (Solid Snake Storage, Quantum Data Card) just to spare us the Neogaf meltdown about "cartridges in 2016". :p

Cartridges do have some nice properties like compact size, durability, potential writability, the fact that they don't need a bulky drive with moving parts to read them, and fast data access while the cost per GB has come down over the years. Apart from being cheaper at a time when games' data demands were going up due to CD quallity audio, prerendered backgrounds and FMV cutscenes, optical discs aren't necessarily the ideal game medium. In the n64's era the storage limitations and associated economic argument destroyed the other factors but perhaps the question can be revisited in 2016.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I am actually getting hyped at the idea of a console that uses cartridges. However, I still want to know how Nintendo Account is going to work with NX and if that's going to push digital purchases via discounts and rewards (like Wii U's digital deluxe promotion) or if it will also recognize physical media (like Club Nintendo).

Actually, I would expect Nintendo Account to be one of the topics that will be allowed for discussion at the next investors meeting.

Re: cartridges vs optical discs, I'll be extremely disappointed if the NX doesn't use 3DS-esque cartridges. It's 2016, optical drives are going away. Embrace the solid state

Bonus points if this means the portable and console versions of a game live on the same cartridge. (supplemented by free DLC?)

Re: cartridges vs optical discs, I'll be extremely disappointed if the NX doesn't use 3DS-esque cartridges. It's 2016, optical drives are going away. Embrace the solid state

Bonus points if this means the portable and console versions of a game live on the same cartridge. (supplemented by free DLC?)

Discs for a Nintendo portable is just wrong.

Hydrus

Yo! Why not include both a cartridge and a disc when you buy a game? The cartridge has the full portable version on it to play on the handheld and would be needed to play on the console. Kind of how the ps4 needs the disk to play even though the game is installed on the hdd. Then disk would just be used for the install. If you don't have the disk, then you can just download and install from the net! This way there would be no need for 64gb carts! Costing Nintendy less!

It's been a while since I've seen this image but I figure this is the perfect thread for it:

original.jpg

Anyone remember this? It's sad that we'll never get to hear Mr. Iwata present this vision.

Not really

These were big investments and high quality software that large chunks of audiences have yet to play

Its the same philosphy that Sony had with all the remasters

Ps3 to PS4

Sony's philosophy with the remasters was, "We have no software, what can we push out quick?!" They say it's because "so many people didn't get to play these gems!" but that wasn't the actual reason. I would be shocked if the majority of their remaster sales weren't to double/triple/quadruple dippers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom