• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.
bailinxfzi.gif

Fine :( At least the investors meeting is next week so let's hope Kimi mentions something there. They have to!

That'd be funny if the new guy was so nervous about the NX that the system actually fell out of his pocket for all the investors with smartphones to get snapshots of.

sublimit

Banned
I truthfully hope they drop the wii and wii u controllers for the NX. start new.

For off-tv play, just allow every game to be playable on both consoles. That's your off-tv play

Yeah i didn't meant that the NX should have the WiiU controller (or something like that) as its main controller.I just asked if there could be a chance for the WiiU controller to be compatible with NX for tv-off play.I think it would be a nice "gesture" to the WiiU owners.

Looks like the NX thirst has burst beyond the walls of this thread. Like 5 threads on the front page right now.

I was thinking the same thing.

Just wanted to thank the OP and all the people who contributed to this thread.

Having a place where all relevant information about the NX is gathered is great.

I was thinking the same thing.

Just wanted to thank the OP and all the people who contributed to this thread.

Having a place where all relevant information about the NX is gathered is great.

No prob! :) Just wanted to help keep everything in one place, and to help prevent further confusion from spreading.

But the success of the latter is debatable. :(

can someone repost/quote the countdown to the financial meeting?

edit: nvm, found it

Rösti;192852590 said:
Nintendo's FY 2015 Third Quarter Financial Results Briefing

Time: February 3, 10.00 AM (JST) / February 2, 08.00 PM (EST)
Location: Hotel New Otani Tokyo (likely in the Tsuru banquet hall)

t1454461200z1.png

So I have a question pertaining to the launch. It appears as though Nintendo has had a rough time with the previous two outings selling consoles at the gate. What Ihope to start a discussion on is what could/would Nintendo do to encourage people to buy at launch.

I was thinking, if they launch with virtual console they could probably have some awesome sales right at the gate just to help with the launch games. Similarly when wii u launch they had the 30 cent sales but they need better and more games, and allow people with 3ds and wii u VC games to transfer to NX. Do they have anything to lose?

I still don't know why console makers don't decide to sell limited edition consoles right at launch. Limited atomic purple edition.
It's pretty likely they will have Zelda NX + Smash 4 + a new 3D Mario within a year of launch. (check the EAD Tokyo release schedule if the last one seems unbelievable)

That's, uh, a pretty solid start. Better than the U ever had.

From there, it's up to marketing (hopefully they ditch the Wii name) and whatever 3rd party support they can get together. Wouldn't hurt to have another Nintendogs or Wii Sports lightning in a bottle type surprise, but that's not something you can count on.

With the Foxconn shipments rumor of 10-12 million units starting Q2 2016, sounds like Handheld and Console for this year, especially if they are connected (which Nintendo most definitely already pointed out themselves).

Predictions:

August-September - NX Handheld (worldwide launch)

November 18th - NX Console (worldwide launch)

Super Smash Bros Ultimate Edition, November 18th - NX Console/Handheld

MK_768

With the Foxconn shipments rumor of 10-12 million units starting Q2 2016, sounds like Handheld and Console for this year, especially if they are connected (which Nintendo most definitely already pointed out themselves).

Predictions:

This is almost definitely not happening.

AdanVC

At minimum, we should get something resembling a timeline of when they will give us more info.

I just hope they don't give vague comments on NX at the meeting. But if they do I just hope they give at least a specific month where they would DEFINITELY talk about NX. Please no more "We will share more info at a later date" crap.

ugoo18

Predictions:

I'm of the belief that they both have to launch at the same time or it'd defeat the purpose of letting people choose via the shared library.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Nintendo has a lot work to do......they need to have a convincing reason for everyone to buy both and not one or the other.

Everyone isn't buying both. They fully know that. Just like every smart phone user doesn't buy a tablet or apple tv. The main point would be a large chunk (or all) software can be playable across the larger combined install base.

ugoo18

Nintendo has a lot work to do......they need to have a convincing reason for everyone to buy both and not one or the other.

I don't think they need to convince people to buy both, instead by picking one or the other but still having most of the games shared between the two (Barring the console exclusive games that may not scale down to the 1st generation of NX handheld) they'll still have a large enough userbase even if one of the systems isn't as popular as the other.

In this case i fully expect the handheld to do a lot of the heavy lifting in regards to user-base numbers which hopefully is enough to get western 3rd parties to at least throw the basics to the NX platform (FIFA,COD and stuff like that). By the looks of it the Japanese 3rd party market will be on board thanks to the handheld thereby giving the console 3rd party support in Japan at least.

Most importantly though in regards to Nintendo's own IP is that Pokemon will finally be usable to push more than just the Handheld userbase but instead a combined userbase.

SalvaPot

The perfect NX launch would include Zelda U and Smash 4 NX. Hell, remember when Wii sold 3 Twilight Princess games for every 4 Wii units sold at launch? That is the power of Zelda, at least here in NA, it just convinces people to buy a console.

I think Nintendo learned their lesson. And the new president has to prove itself. I won't put it past Nintendo to delay the NX just to be sure they had at least 3 heavy hitters ready on launch.

Pif

Banned
Zelda and a good gimmick-exploiting killer app ala wii sports will do for a wonderful launch. Release pokemon Z at the 6th month. Boom.

In regards to how Nintendo could release the NX "Devices", a comparison could be similar to the Iphone 6 and Ipad Air 2, with the phone being released in September 2014 and the tablet being released in October 2014.

iMax

In regards to how Nintendo could release the NX "Devices", a comparison could be similar to the Iphone 6 and Ipad Air 2, with the phone being released in September 2014 and the tablet being released in October 2014.

I think the most logical timeframe is Q3 2016 for the console, Q2 2017 for the handheld. Makes more sense, but then anything can happen.

jmizzal

I think the most logical timeframe is Q3 2016 for the console, Q2 2017 for the handheld. Makes more sense, but then anything can happen.

Yea I feel like the console needs to come out in the Holidays where as the handheld doesnt.

And most of Nintendo consoles have come out in the Fall where as handhelds have not

Neoxon

It'll probably be the other way around since the handheld is more likely to succeed. Or at the very least, I could see the NX Handheld launching first in Japan.

SalvaPot

We need to start making a NX bingo before more info gets out.

Mine would look like this:

NX Handheld 2016
NX Console 2017
Smash 4 NX at Launch
Zelda U NX at Launch
FUCKING DONKEY KONG
New 3D Mario at Launch
MORE AMIIBO
No Region Lock
Unprecedented Partnership
Pokemon 20th Anniversary new game at Launch
Nintendo unveils NX before E3
NX software is compatible for both Handheld and Console.
NX Handheld $200-$250
NX Console $250-$300
NX handheld still has two screens.
NX Console is compatible with Gamepad, but doesn't include it.

We need to start making a NX bingo before more info gets out.

Mine would look like this:

NX Handheld 2016
NX Console 2017
Smash 4 NX at Launch
Zelda U NX at Launch
FUCKING DONKEY KONG
New 3D Mario at Launch
MORE AMIIBO
No Region Lock
Unprecedented Partnership
Pokemon 20th Anniversary new game at Launch
Nintendo unveils NX before E3
NX software is compatible for both Handheld and Console.
NX Handheld $200-$250
NX Console $250-$300
NX handheld still has two screens.
NX Console is compatible with Gamepad, but doesn't include it.
Free space

Banned

Predictions:

That's....ambitious. Smash will be there day one, regardless of which SKU launches. As much as I want the console I think the handheld will launch first worldwide and the console will come out March 2017. Or, the west gets the console and the east gets the handheld. I don't think we will get our hands on any SKU of the NX until Black Friday 2016.

I'm of the belief that they both have to launch at the same time or it'd defeat the purpose of letting people choose via the shared library.

I think they will be close but it doesn't need to be exactly the same time. Nobody will care once the second unit comes out, and it's kind of meaningless unless you get both anyway, if you want either a new nintendo handheld or console, you can ignore the other one existing

I don't think it makes sense for Nintendo to launch a handheld this year. The 3DS doesn't have a lot of steam, but it has a huge install base and can easily float into 2017.

The console market, on the other hand...

SalvaPot

That's....ambitious. Smash will be there day one, regardless of which SKU launches. As much as I want the console I think the handheld will launch first worldwide and the console will come out March 2017. Or, the west gets the console and the east gets the handheld. I don't think we will get our hands on any SKU of the NX until Black Friday 2016.

Honestly that would be very smart considering the markets. But doing that would motivate Nintendo to region lock the hardware, since they won't want a market to buy off the stock of the other one.

I don't think it makes sense for Nintendo to launch a handheld this year. The 3DS doesn't have a lot of steam, but it has a huge install base and can easily float into 2017.

But their console market is precisely why it's a great idea to launch the handheld first. If they do in fact work together, and if they are truly something unique, then you can use the handheld as "bait" for the larger install base.

MoonFrog

From a purely western logic, yes. However, Nintendo is perhaps still operating on a logic that puts Japan first. After the last decade, it might be their only real option. The way to shore up support for NX is to get Japanese companies on board. The way to do that, presumably is through putting out a successful successor to 3DS. The idea seems to be to then leverage that support on the home console in the west.

As that console grows (if it does) then maybe the games to grow the western market start to come in.

IDK. I could see the handheld going first for reasons like these.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
But their console market is precisely why it's a great idea to launch the handheld first. If they do in fact work together, and if they are truly something unique, then you can use the handheld as "bait" for the larger install base.

It would effectively increase the launch titles for the console by quite a bit if the schedule was right.

It depends on what chips they're willing to put into the box. 2016 is a mid Gen console, but 2017 is potentially a year's head start on next gen.

Also, if the hook is cross-compatability, an established handheld library leading into the console launch is more useful than the other way around.

If they're willing to do it right 2017 is a better play.

It depends on what chips they're willing to put into the box. 2016 is a mid Gen console, but 2017 is potentially a year's head start on next gen.

If they're willing to do it right 2017 is a better play.

Eh, I'm thinking we won't be seeing next gen hardware released from Sony and MS until 2020 at the earliest. There was 7 years between the PS3 and PS4 and 8 years between the 360 and X1, and both current gen consoles are outselling their predecessors for equivalent time since launch. I see no reason to think current gen will last a full two years shorter.

2020 releases from Sony and MS would realistically give Nintendo until 2021 to put out the NX's successor, and with a 2016 release for the NX that's a full five years on the market.

This gen is still young enough that if Nintendo acts swiftly enough they could potentially remain competitive. Releasing in 2017 and positioning themselves as competition to Sony and MS's next generation hardware just seems way too risky, even foolish, since they're going to massively outperform the NX, and we'll get a Wii U situation all over again. Early to the market, but far to weak to compete anyway.

SalvaPot

The 3DS is the right age to get a successor. The Wii U arguably should last at least one more year, if we go by industry standards.

Marrying the NX handheld to the NX console is a wonderful idea. The handheld market is still healthy worldwide, but specially in Japan. I think the New 3DS decent sales proved there is still demand for a dedicated gaming device on the go.

So its safe to assume the common consumer will get the NX handheld (Lets call it NXDS because reasons), it should be at worst a moderate success. So from there, Nintendo has to convince the consumers that are satisfied with the handheld that is worth their time to consider a NX console to go with it.

If its shown to a consumer that all the games they already got for their handheld can be easily upgraded and improved with a home device, it will be a huge incentive for them.

Here is an example:

A consumer gets NXDS and Super Smash Bros 4 NX at launch. Loves the game, plays by himself while on the go and with other people when they also have a NXDS. But one day he has friends over and Mario Party 2 on the Wii vC is not an option because his girlfriend broke off with her last time they played that.

So he remembers that he can get a NX Console and all he needs to do is insert the Super Smash Bros 4 NX game he already has, dusts off the Wiimotes and now he has a Smash Party for up to 8 players, instead of just 1. He doesn't need to buy a game he already has, that is, in his mind, $40 bucks he just saved on his new purchase.

Another Example.

Pokemon Z releases and its awesome to play on the NXDS. The game looks great, but sometimes the consumer feels like sitting down and enjoying Pokemon on his big screen. Plugs in the NX Console, in goes the game. Now you have a main Pokemon game in HD.

Kimawolf

Eh, I'm thinking we won't be seeing next gen hardware released from Sony and MS until 2020 at the earliest. There was 7 years between the PS3 and PS4 and 8 years between the 360 and X1, and both current gen consoles are outselling their predecessors for equivalent time since launch. I see no reason to think current gen will last a full two years shorter.

2020 releases from Sony and MS would realistically give Nintendo until 2021 to put out the NX's successor, and with a 2016 release for the NX that's a full five years on the market.

This gen is still young enough that if Nintendo acts swiftly enough they could potentially remain competitive. Releasing in 2017 and positioning themselves as competition to Sony and MS's next generation hardware just seems way too risky, even foolish, since they're going to massively outperform the NX, and we'll get a Wii U situation all over again. Early to the market, but far to weak to compete anyway.

thats how I see it too.

NX handheld/console in 2016

PS5/Xb2 in 2020 alongside NX2 which is backwards compatible with NX fully, and NX1 is forward compatible with NX 2, building on said userbase like Iphone 5 to 6.

NX3/handheld 2023.

how i'd see it playing out.

NX reveal is happening at E3, I don't know if we'll learn much else before that.
*looks at username*

Your the one who leaked Cloud, right? *Hype activates!*

I pretty much figured there would be no real info before e3 but nice to see it confirmed. I can wait.

If you can confirm if all games will play on the handheld by any chance that would be great to know, even as a pm. I want to never buy a home console again! (Except for the few playstation games I want. >_<)

Ugh, with all these rumors of a 2016 handheld luandh actually happening, I'll need to save up money I don't have. Alot of it. >_<

RIP atleast half the games I wanted to buy.

For reference, the XBox One was revealed on May 21 and released on Nov. 22 in 2013. So there's a precedent.

Gamecube would be precedent also, back when e3 was hosted a little earlier in the year than it is now.

Edit: I am wrong, they were at spaceworld. It's usual for handhelds to be out within a year though.

Neoxon

The 3DS is the right age to get a successor. The Wii U arguably should last at least one more year, if we go by industry standards.

Marrying the NX handheld to the NX console is a wonderful idea. The handheld market is still healthy worldwide, but specially in Japan. I think the New 3DS decent sales proved there is still demand for a dedicated gaming device on the go.

So its safe to assume the common consumer will get the NX handheld (Lets call it NXDS because reasons), it should be at worst a moderate success. So from there, Nintendo has to convince the consumers that are satisfied with the handheld that is worth their time to consider a NX console to go with it.

If its shown to a consumer that all the games they already got for their handheld can be easily upgraded and improved with a home device, it will be a huge incentive for them.

Here is an example:

A consumer gets NXDS and Super Smash Bros 4 NX at launch. Loves the game, plays by himself while on the go and with other people when they also have a NXDS. But one day he has friends over and Mario Party 2 on the Wii vC is not an option because his girlfriend broke off with her last time they played that.

So he remembers that he can get a NX Console and all he needs to do is insert the Super Smash Bros 4 NX game he already has, dusts off the Wiimotes and now he has a Smash Party for up to 8 players, instead of just 1. He doesn't need to buy a game he already has, that is, in his mind, $40 bucks he just saved on his new purchase.

Another Example.

Pokemon Z releases and its awesome to play on the NXDS. The game looks great, but sometimes the consumer feels like sitting down and enjoying Pokemon on his big screen. Plugs in the NX Console, in goes the game. Now you have a main Pokemon game in HD.
I think you mean Pokémon Gen 7, because there's no reason to believe that Game Freak would bring a sequel game (I.E. Pokémon Z) to hardware different than what the generation started on. I get the you were only making an example, but I'm just putting it out there.....again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom