• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
This time the game is the console, and you have to insert the NX cartridge into the game.

Sony's philosophy with the remasters was, "We have no software, what can we push out quick?!" They say it's because "so many people didn't get to play these gems!" but that wasn't the actual reason. I would be shocked if the majority of their remaster sales weren't to double/triple/quadruple dippers.

Indeed and I wish people wouldn't be so keen on Wii U ports for NX. Super Smash Bros is acceptable as it's hard to ease in for a new consumer with all the DLC that's been added and it would be a fantastic launch title. We don't need Super Mario Maker, Mario Kart 8, Xenoblade X, Tropical Freeze, Splatoon and so on. We should push for new games and I doubt Nintendo would want to just resell their older titles anyway. We've only seen them do this with remasters that are 10+ years old and the occasional handheld anomaly like Donkey Kong Country Returns or Zelda Twilight Princess getting a Wii port, though DKC's always get handheld ports eventually.

I've seen people mention Mario Kart 8 a few times which just doesn't make any sense given how the Mario Kart games are always at the top of a systems sales chart regardless of how long it's been since launch. Having Mario Kart 8 and 9 on the same system wouldn't be a good idea.

Remasters were a cash grab on not having backwards compatibility, Publishers were given the chance to sell their old games at a high price again.

Indeed and I wish people wouldn't be so keen on Wii U ports for NX. Super Smash Bros is acceptable as it's hard to ease in for a new consumer with all the DLC that's been added and it would be a fantastic launch title. We don't need Super Mario Maker, Mario Kart 8, Xenoblade X, Tropical Freeze, Splatoon and so on. We should push for new games and I doubt Nintendo would want to just resell their older titles anyway. We've only seen them do this with remasters that are 10+ years old and the occasional handheld anomaly like Donkey Kong Country Returns or Zelda Twilight Princess getting a Wii port, though DKC's always get handheld ports eventually.

I've seen people mention Mario Kart 8 a few times which just doesn't make any sense given how the Mario Kart games are always at the top of a systems sales chart regardless of how long it's been since launch. Having Mario Kart 8 and 9 on the same system wouldn't be a good idea.

I think most of those guys are just port begging. They don't want to invest time and money onto a system they think has failed and instead want to play some of the more popular games on a system they projected what they wanted onto before any details have been unveiled.

trixx

So I have a question pertaining to the launch. It appears as though Nintendo has had a rough time with the previous two outings selling consoles at the gate. What Ihope to start a discussion on is what could/would Nintendo do to encourage people to buy at launch.

I was thinking, if they launch with virtual console they could probably have some awesome sales right at the gate just to help with the launch games. Similarly when wii u launch they had the 30 cent sales but they need better and more games, and allow people with 3ds and wii u VC games to transfer to NX. Do they have anything to lose?

I still don't know why console makers don't decide to sell limited edition consoles right at launch. Limited atomic purple edition.

Remasters were a cash grab on not having backwards compatibility, Publishers were given the chance to sell their old games at a high price again.

Agreed. The only game I'd really like to see "remastered" is Smash, and that's because I think Smash U is really goddamn good, and I'd be fine having it as the base with additions added to it all gen. Plus I want Sakurai to work on a new game for NX, or a new Icarus title, or something like that.

Neoxon

Smash 4 nx and pokemon zyx are probably the best two choices of games with previous gen roots, especially if there"s no BC.
The problem with Pokémon Z is that Game Freak usually takes their sweet time with moving to new platforms (they stayed on the DS long after the 3DS came out with Black 2/White 2). Not to mention that Game Freak usually keeps sequel games for each get on the platform of origin (Ex: Yellow on Game Boy, Crystal on Game Boy Color, Emerald on GBA, Platinum on DS, Black 2/White 2 on DS). Basically, I'd be genuinely shocked if Pokémon Z wasn't a 3DS exclusive.

beril

It certainly would be interesting with a cartridge console.

A lot of the extra cost would be offseted by removing the disc drive in the console

If carts are fast enough to run modern games without install, that also means they can again get away with smaller internal storage, rather than a big HDD, and force the all-digital minority to buy an external disk.

So no disc drive, no HDD. That would easily shave off $50 from the console and considerably reduces the size of the machine. Best case, the console will get an attach rate of 9-10 games/system; so that's basically $5 saved per game

So I have a question pertaining to the launch. It appears as though Nintendo has had a rough time with the previous two outings selling consoles at the gate. What Ihope to start a discussion on is what could/would Nintendo do to encourage people to buy at launch.

I was thinking, if they launch with virtual console they could probably have some awesome sales right at the gate just to help with the launch games.

I still don't know why console makers don't decide to sell limited edition consoles right at launch. Limited atomic purple edition.

Good advertising, decent price?

I mean a 'huge' price doesn't need to ruin the launch, so to speak. PS4 was €400 at launch, sold like gangbusters. I saw many, many PS4 adverts before the launch of that, it was kinda cool, I don't recall a single advertisement of Wii U up to the launch.

And decent software, like one killer app.

I was thinking, if they launch with virtual console they could probably have some awesome sales right at the gate just to help with the launch games.

I wouldn't be shocked if they do an 'ambassador program' from the start this time, throw in some free games for early adopters

Neoxon

I mean a 'huge' price doesn't need to ruin the launch, so to speak. PS4 was €400 at launch, sold like gangbusters. I saw many, many PS4 adverts before the launch of that, it was kinda cool, I don't recall a single advertisement of Wii U up to the launch.

But after the Wii U & the 3DS, I doubt that Nintendo would want to sell their NX devices at a loss. More so since Nintendo's probably not gonna have much in the name of third party support to offset the costs.

But after the Wii U & the 3DS, I doubt that Nintendo would want to sell their NX devices at a loss. More so since Nintendo's probably not gonna have much in the name of third party support to offset the costs.

But if they did....

also fuck ambassador programs. I have a 3DS ambassador console but even so, it was bollocks. Specially since half of those games were never available on 3DS.

The problem with Pokémon Z is that Game Freak usually takes their sweet time with moving to new platforms (they stayed on the DS long after the 3DS came out with Black 2/White 2). Not to mention that Game Freak usually keeps sequel games for each get on the platform of origin (Ex: Yellow on Game Boy, Crystal on Game Boy Color, Emerald on GBA, Platinum on DS, Black 2/White 2 on DS).

yep, but the length of time since the base game is unprecidented isn't it? And that's before it's even announced! something unusual is happening.

Neoxon

But if they did....

also fuck ambassador programs. I have a 3DS ambassador console but even so, it was bollocks. Specially since half of those games were never available on 3DS.
That's just it, if. To my knowledge, the PS4 had a ton of third party support at launch to help offset the fact that the PS4 was initially sold at a lost (thanks to licensing fees). Nintendo's probably not gonna have that luxury. If you ask me, I'm gonna guess that the NX Console will cost $300 while the NX Handheld will run for $200.

yep, but the length of time since the base game is unprecidented isn't it? And that's before it's even announced! something unusual is happening.
Or Game Freak is taking the complaints from X/Y into account & are improving the post-game content for Pokémon Z. They're most likely gonna wait until Gen 7 before jumping to the NX Platform. Gen 6 started on the 3DS, & it's probably gonna end on the 3DS (much like previous gens on their respective platforms).

trixx

Sony already had a great standing with the public, 3rd parties, last year of ps3 etc.. as a whole. They rode the hype from e3, everything surrounding it built it up for destined success. Launch titles were good, and people were confident going in, that it would be a good purchase decision.

Unfortunately, I don't think Nintendo is in the same standing. Unless they come out with some crazy product, it's difficult for people to have the same level of confidence especially if they bought the wii u/3ds at launch.

If they could build up even a little bit of that hype though. Or even just advertise it well, like I say. Thinking back on all those things Sony did for the PS4, its amazing 3DS and Wii U were practically dumped out.

Neoxon

But..... the DS to 3DS thing with pokemon was a bit different, since black/white 2 were built on the same engine as the other pokemon games on the system, it kinda made sense.
Just like other sequel games were based on the engines of their predecessors. And in all likelihood, Pokémon Z would use the same engine as X/Y/OR/AS. Given how Game Freak previously operated, there's no reason to believe that Game Freak would actually take initiative & get ahead of the hardware curve now when they haven't in the past. And besides, the NX Platform would benefit better from a fresh new Gen 7 game than a Gen 6 sequel game.

The Wii got a pretty good amount of GameCube ports.

Aside from the Twilight Princess thing (which is more comparable to a cross-gen launch IMO), there was Mario Power Tennis, Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 2, both Pikmins, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, Chibi-Robo, and maybe one or two others I'm forgetting. Even Capcom ported over some Resident Evil games.

It's true that there's a healthy amount of sales potential for several Wii U games that was constrained by its sales, and some of them would be quick and easy ways to pad out the release schedule. Xenoblade Chronicles X is a good example. Monolith poured a ton of time and resources into that game, and XB is an IP that Nintendo clearly want to nurture. Why not rerelease it in some form? Open-world games are huge and a second lease on life wouldn't hurt it.

DK Tropical Freeze is an example of something that would benefit from a port. It was outsold by its predecessor twice. Retro likes to take its time. A big IP that Retro may take a while to follow up on and was overlooked by many first time around despite its acclaim. Also did not especially make use of the GamePad and is in a series that has been historically port friendly.

Me personally though, I'm not expecting every single Wii U game to be ported over and I'm not sure if 3DS remasters are in the cards (though if they did, Kid Icarus: Uprising would be by far the first choice). Mario Kart 8, Mario Maker, NSMBU, Splatoon OG, 3D World? Those all benefit more from sequels than ports, so those are staying. I think there'll just be a handful of remasters and ports, but I do think you're underestimating how valued they are both by players and by producers. They're easy to make, cheap to buy, inviting to people who missed them first time around AND have loyal fans to pitch them, and they go very nicely in console bundles. They're win-wins all around.

Rodin

It certainly would be interesting with a cartridge console.

A lot of the extra cost would be offseted by removing the disc drive in the console

If carts are fast enough to run modern games without install, that also means they can again get away with smaller internal storage, rather than a big HDD, and force the all-digital minority to buy an external disk.

So no disc drive, no HDD. That would easily shave off $50 from the console and considerably reduces the size of the machine. Best case, the console will get an attach rate of 9-10 games/system; so that's basically $5 saved per game
Yup, pretty much. Apparently Apple pays $20 for the 64GB flash storage found on the iPhone 6S, so i guess Nintendo would pay around the same price for 64GB and ~40 for 128GB? I'd much rather have that, HDDs are noisy, slow, big and generate heat. The few people who want to go full digital and need the extra storage can buy an external drive, for everyone else 128GB is more than enough.

EDIT: apparently 128GB was around 47$ in 2014
Apple’s cost for the additional memory is about $47 more for the 128GB versions than for the 16GB versions.

The Wii got a pretty good amount of GameCube ports.

Aside from the Twilight Princess thing (which is more comparable to a cross-gen launch IMO), there was Mario Power Tennis, Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 2, both Pikmins, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, Chibi-Robo, and maybe one or two others I'm forgetting. Even Capcom ported over some Resident Evil games.

It's true that there's a healthy amount of sales potential for several Wii U games that was constrained by its sales, and some of them would be quick and easy ways to pad out the release schedule. Xenoblade Chronicles X is a good example. Monolith poured a ton of time and resources into that game, and XB is an IP that Nintendo clearly want to nurture. Why not rerelease it in some form? Open-world games are huge and a second lease on life wouldn't hurt it.

DK Tropical Freeze is an example of something that would benefit from a port. It was outsold by its predecessor twice. Retro likes to take its time. A big IP that Retro may take a while to follow up on and was overlooked by many first time around despite its acclaim. Also did not especially make use of the GamePad and is in a series that has been historically port friendly.

Me personally though, I'm not expecting every single Wii U game to be ported over and I'm not sure if 3DS remasters are in the cards (though if they did, Kid Icarus: Uprising would be by far the first choice). Mario Kart 8, Mario Maker, NSMBU, Splatoon OG, 3D World? Those all benefit more from sequels than ports, so those are staying. I think there'll just be a handful of remasters and ports, but I do think you're underestimating how valued they are both by players and by producers. They're easy to make, cheap to buy, inviting to people who missed them first time around AND have loyal fans to pitch them, and they go very nicely in console bundles. They're win-wins all around.

A lot of those weren't launch ports, twas over a period of time, like 4 years? if launch ports were the discussion.

And fair point on the pokemon, I'd be surprised if there was a main series pokemon game for the NX launch.

Should that be added to the OP as it's not seemingly from companies? I don't know if it fits the bill as I try to keep it as facts, but still.

What do you think Neoxon?

Neoxon

Should that be added to the OP as it's not seemingly from companies? I don't know if it fits the bill as I try to keep it as facts, but still.

What do you think Neoxon?
I'd go ahead & add the mention of the manufacturers working on the NX Platform, but that's just me.

A lot of those weren't launch ports, twas over a period of time, like 4 years? if launch ports were the discussion.

And fair point on the pokemon, I'd be surprised if there was a main series pokemon game for the NX launch.

Oh, I don't think they're going to fill the launch with ports, definitely not. I think for launch there'll just be Smash NX as a port/remaster and Zelda U as a cross-gen game.

We know so little about Pikmin it can go either way. Not sure if it'll be cross-gen, Wii U exclusive, or NX exclusive. But for the holiday launch I don't think there'll be any more than that. Anything else would be spread throughout later years.

Pokemon Z will be a 3DS swan song I think, yeah. Much like Crystal, Emerald, Black 2 and White 2...

Pokemaniac

It's no mistake that Game Freak's hardware transitions always happen between gens. Gen VI started on 3DS, and it will most likely finish there, as well.

AdanVC

Too many rumors and speculations and not official info from Nintendo I'm losing my mind here!! KIMISHIMAAAAA

raw

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
After reading the original WSJ article, I can confirm that there really isn't much to it. As previously said, it's a report on an IHS analyst's statements (which are based on conversations with companies). The report only states that the display will be between 3.1" and 5" (and not OLED), that it's for a stand-alone portable, and that it releases this year. There's an estimate for how many screens will be shipped this year compared to last yea, but this sounds like a prediction for the industry and not Nintendo. There's more to the article, but it's just summarizing other things we already know from other analysts or from Nintendo. It's also a short article, so please don't think anybody is leaving anything out when they're talking about it.

Thraktor

Valid points, indeed. Some analyst has probably been having a hell of a time weighing visibility and image vs. logistical costs. I'm not sure where I stand on that issue.

The problem is that even if we knew the logistical costs exactly, we still wouldn't have any idea of the other side of the equation (ROM costs). Hell, even if we had market prices for ROM it still wouldn't give us any insight into the kind of deal Nintendo gets at the volume they're purchasing. And although I've argued fairly vehemently against it before, I have to admit that it is a possibility, if the numbers line up and Nintendo feel its a sensible business move.

And if the numbers do line up and they do go with it, it opens up a lot of interesting questions for Nintendo. Firstly, even if the numbers make sense for Nintendo, they have to make sure they make sense for third parties as well. They don't want an N64 style situation where third parties just straight up take home a lot less from each game sold than on PS4 and XBO. Do they absorb some of the cost themselves? Do they maybe include 16GB or less cards in the licensing fee and charge for the extra expense of larger cards?

There's also the marketing aspect. The worst thing they could do is just include "both devices use cartridges so you can play the same game on each model!" in the reveal without going into detail. Everyone would simply assume that we're back to the days of clunky, low capacity N64-style cartridges, and Nintendo would be on the defensive from the get-go. It's not like them to engage in spec wars, but they would really need to get into the technical advantages of the medium, in terms of speed (with decreased loading times), capacity (saying "can use cartridges up to 128GB in size" doesn't mean you have to actually use them any time soon) and the ability to run the game straight off the card, eliminating the need for mandatory installs and allowing you to play a game immediately when you bring it home. Hitting all those points properly when they reveal would be absolutely essential in terms of getting console gamers on board with game cards.

Then you have the packaging and visibility issue I mentioned above. You also have the design of the card itself. Do you use the DS/3DS shape to make handheld BC simpler? Do you go with a physically larger card to make the games seem more substantial for console users?

There are also technical questions. Does the card have a single binary which runs on both devices and chooses appropriate assets, etc. on the fly (a-la iPhone/iPad*), or do you have two completely discrete programs, one of which loads up if it's in the handheld, and the other in the console?

Regardless of whether you think it would actually happen or not, it's a fascinating thing to think about the ramifications of.

*Apple are actually moving away from this to custom binaries for every target device as part of their "app thinning" strategy, but it's still the best example of the approach that I can think of.

**This isn't a footnote to anything, but it's occurred to me that if Nintendo went with game cards for the home console, they'd end up with only a single moving part in it.

Isn't shelve space initially determined by money/relationships and later on influenced by how much it sells? Because if true, it may be offset by the fact that the amount of games to be displayed on shelves for visibility may increase, due to the smaller cases, to the point it the difference becomes negligible, or slightly positive overall. Also, important releases may get a larger/double/ triple spot.

I don't believe the bolded would be true, as even though there are more there, the text and art are smaller, so they're less eye-catching. To take a couple of extreme examples, first consider what would happen if you keep making the cases smaller, but maintain the same shelf space. They'd just turn into a blur where you can't tell one from the next, and normal sized cases would draw your attention much more heavily (as you can actually make out what's on them). Now, at the other end of the scale, consider one shelf that has a singe case, 2 metres high by one metre wide, and the next shelf, which has four cases, each 1 metre high by half a metre wide. Your eyes are going to go towards the massive case, because the art and text are bigger and it dominates your vision. Now, I'm not saying this because I believe they should just use arbitrarily large cases (standards are there for a reason), but that a smaller number of larger cases will, in general, attract your visual attention more than a larger number of smaller cases occupying the same area. That being the situation, Nintendo would have to be very cautious of using small game cases.

Nice piece of info, it certainly seems plausible. Tyrell's post about optical media and cartridges was enlightening. It would be interesting to know how much a ROM cartridge costs for each GB size. And furthermore, how it theoretically may scale in production cost wise from 2017 and beyond, especially since it presumably will be custom made for Nintendo again. An interesting thing to note is that Nintendo game sizes in GB are generally low, even for wiiu, so solid state ROM may be a viable option even for NX console.

It's not just about what size Nintendo games are (although a few have been 20GB+ on Wii U, and would be expected to be larger on NX), but also what size third party games are. They have enough problems with third party support without turning them away because their games are too big for the game cards. A range of cards from 8GB to 64GB would be essential.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom