• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
It's almost hard to believe that Nintendo's CPU partner for home consoles has been IBM, for the last 17 years.

<snip>

It's finally time Nintendo moves on, and away from PowerPC architecture. It was a good run, but things have changed dramatically since then.

Regardless of what our guesses are for NX based devices, be it ARM, X86 or both, it's probably almost certain that PowerPC and IBM will be out of the picture.
IBM had the most progressive CPU arch and the leading CPU designs for almost a couple of decades and.. blew it. Blew it real hard.

A lesson in corporate ineptitude, kids.

maxcriden

He hasn't been banned yet so I figure he must be somewhat true. When people cla to "know" things on GAF it doesn't take long for the mod squad to squash liars quickly.

I think it depends. Usually we get some kind of verified tag when that happens. So I'm not sure a mod has taken notice or asked for sources yet. I personally believe the poster, because I don't think there's much harm in doing so, but I don't think the absence of a ban is proof of verification just FWIW.

The console isn't a successor of the 3DS and it isn´t a home console.

Today the SoCs that available in the tablet space have the same power and performance than the last generation (PS3/360/Wii U) and with it you can have a system with the same size than a tablet but with the same performance of the Wii U.

Imagine a Wii U Gamepad with the console inside of it and change the 480p screen for a 720p screen and you will have the NX.

When you say stuff like "isn't" it seems to imply you know this for a fact, but I know English isn't your first language so I'm not meaning to give you a hard time, just trying to understand if you do have inside info or if this is speculation. &#9786;

Shaanyboi

Banned
It's almost hard to believe that Nintendo's CPU partner for home consoles has been IBM, for the last 17 years.

The IBM Nintendo partnership became official, publicly at E3 1999 where codename Dolphin was announced.

<snip>

It's finally time Nintendo moves on, and away from PowerPC architecture. It was a good run, but things have changed dramatically since then.

Regardless of what our guesses are for NX based devices, be it ARM, X86 or both, it's probably almost certain that PowerPC and IBM will be out of the picture.

Frankly with Nintendo, nothing is certain. No matter how much sense it would make to move away from PPC architecture.

AmyS

Frankly with Nintendo, nothing is certain. No matter how much sense it would make to move away from PPC architecture.

I'm not saying there is absolutely no possibility of Nintendo keeping PPC architecture, I'm just thinking it's very unlikely. You are right, with Nintendo, nothing is certain.

One thing is for sure, never have the usually Leakers been more quiet then this time around. I wonder how Nintendo manage this when thousands of people know about it already. And I wonder why they secure their secrets THAT much. There must be something with the NX we don't expect at all and Nintendo don't want the competition to know at all...

Ulthwe

Consider a scenario where the industry's old running AAA franchises such as GTA and Battlefield don't make it into Nintendo's NX library, but a new branch of AAA repertoire, coming from studios who mainly do mobile, will indeed be on board because of a particular feature really appealing about this system?

A shared OS is Nintendo's take on Apple's business model. How do we know that such OS is bound to Nintendo hardware? Maybe a PS4,PC, Android and iOS app will emulate a lite version of such OS and you can actually play some specially developed eShop Nintendo games across all your devices. That way the new DeNA partnership will also land on NX devices. Pokemon GO at portable NX launch? I can keep playing the same game on my phone while commuting? Sign me up.

Such scenario is indeed possible and would thrive even without your best GTA and thie yearly usual franchises.
I literally came up this "NX app on iOS / Android" idea just yesterday. Buy a game on NX, keep on playing on the phone or tablet.
I know is not easy to pull off but now's the time for crazy speculation, right?

But that's just it. After the Wii U, I'm not so sure if Nintendo can get any deals in parts. And if that's actually the case, people aren't likely to pay over $300 for the console or over $200 for the handheld.

Nintendo still do relatively great sales in the electronics space between HH and console. Listen to the enthusiasm which AMD and Macronix place in the contracts they have secured. Nintendo are getting "deals". Especially with partners like Macronix, AMD, and Sharp who rely on them for a decent chunk of their sales. We're not talking about Intel processors or Samsung displays.

Neoxon

Nintendo still do relatively great sales in the electronics space between HH and console. Listen to the enthusiasm which AMD and Macronix place in the contracts they have secured. Nintendo are getting "deals".
Thanks to the 3DS side of things. I'm mostly referring to the more powerful console parts. But my point on Nintendo likely to avoid selling at a loss still stands.

Thanks to the 3DS side of things. I'm mostly referring to the more powerful console parts. But my point on Nintendo likely to avoid selling at a loss still stands.

As has been pointed out, that's just a huge myth. They've taken small losses for most of their consoles except Wii.

maxcriden

I literally came up this "NX app on iOS / Android" idea just yesterday. Buy a game on NX, keep on playing on the phone or tablet.

Crazy speculation is totally reasonable when you're acknowledging how unlikely it is, as you do here. Why would Nintendo bother making dedicated gaming systems at all, though. When games can be "continued" on phones and tablets? And how would the controls work? The idea would require all games to be cross-compatible with touch controls. &#128552;

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
What time/day will the quarterly report be for US eastern?
TSE operating hours are 09.00 - 15.00 (JST). I believe the earnings release will come on February 2 after the market closes.

Sometime shortly after 01.00 AM EST Feb. 2 then.

maxcriden

Rösti;193829096 said:
TSE operating hours are 09.00 - 15.00 (JST). I believe the earnings release will come on February 2 after the market closes.

Sometime shortly after 01.00 AM EST Feb. 2 then.

The Q&A and such is 24 hours later though, right? (or like Thursday 9 AM JST?). I feel like that's when it was in the past at least.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Perhaps with the move to mobile as well as the new influx of income from Amiibo sales, they may be more willing to take a loss at launch.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
The Q&A and such is 24 hours later though, right? (or like Thursday 9 AM JST?). I feel like that's when it was in the past at least.
Nintendo's FY 2015 Third Quarter Financial Results Briefing starts at 10.00 AM (JST) on February 3. How long the presentation will be I don't know, but it will be followed by a Q&A session.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Rösti;193831697 said:
Nintendo's FY 2015 Third Quarter Financial Results Briefing starts at 10.00 AM (JST) on February 3. How long the presentation will be I don't know, but it will be followed by a Q&A session.
Expect a lot of "we'll talk about NX at E3. It'll be cool, we swear."

Banned
Sorry but I told you all many posts ago that the western developer that told me nx is awesome said that the reason they could not tell me anything more was so tight ndas and to the point of ruined in the industry if breaking these. I admire rosti for keeping that information confidential.
I do believe that Nintendo will bring something very special.
Great, another gimmick.

Roo

He wasn't validated either. It's not like there are too many mods in these threads to keep track of everything.

Well, you can always pm a moderator and politely ask them to verify if those claiming to have info are actually telling the truth or are full of shit.

I'm not saying there is absolutely no possibility of Nintendo keeping PPC architecture, I'm just thinking it's very unlikely. You are right, with Nintendo, nothing is certain.

I wonder at what point Nintendo will realize the costs of keeping PPC around greatly outweigh the benefits of doing so >.>

Kimawolf

Well, you can always pm a moderator and politely ask them to verify if those claiming to have info are actually telling the truth or are full of shit.

I wonder at what point Nintendo will realize the costs of keeping PPC around greatly outweigh the benefits of doing so >.>
Lol hopefully they realized it two years ago when they began work on the NX.

Would only work with a handful of games mostly those that are already on mobile. Don't think they can circumvent Apple on paid apps either so just f2p apps on both NX and mobile?
Doesn't make much sense either way, I think

DKHF

If only the NX handheld releases this year, what would happen to Zelda?
If Nintendo have been creating a port of Zelda for both the NX handheld (if it could run Zelda Wii U) and console then possibly an NX handheld version could be released. If not then just the Wii U version.

Neoxon

If Nintendo have been creating a port of Zelda for both the NX handheld (if it could run Zelda Wii U) and console then possibly an NX handheld version could be released. If not then just the Wii U version.
But wouldn't it be the same NX version just downscaled with a lower resolution, draw distance, lower-quality textures, etc.?

The thought of a new generation of Nintendo games and classic handheld third-party support fro, Atlus, Square Enix, Capcom and Marvelous makes me very excited.

DKHF

But wouldn't it be the same NX version just downscaled with a lower resolution, draw distance, lower-quality textures, etc.?
Yes it would be that, then the NX console release with higher resolution etc would have to be released later at the launch of the NX console in 2017. Or they could hold back the NX version (handheld and console) for the launch of the NX console in 2017.

Edit: Oh wait if all NX games are only released as one cartridge (not separate releases for console and handheld) then they couldn't launch the console and handheld version separately, my bad.

But I still think Nintendo could just release the Zelda NX cartridge at the launch of the handheld.

Josh5890

The thought of a new generation of Nintendo games and classic handheld third-party support fro, Atlus, Square Enix, Capcom and Marvelous makes me very excited.

I could see a scenario where Square gives Nintendo a lot of that support the PSP received back in the day. There is a market for them in the handheld realm. The 3DS took some of it but there is so much more potential.

They said their contacts told them they have no kits. If the contacts are under tight ndas that is the only thing they could have said without revealing anything.

Of course.

Though I am still salty about the incredibly NDAs that were supposed to explain the fact that no one seemed to have a game planned on WiiU back when it launched. Turned out there just was no game finally.

Sometimes the more simple explanation is the better. Perhaps likes like EA just have no devkit yet. Ubi? Perhaps just one of their studios. Activision, probably but we know that bringing games to a Nintendo machine won't be a top priority for these ones.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I watched two interesting Amiibo-related interviews yesterday, and it got me thinking about how Nintendo could potentially gain back a respectable amount of third party support for the NX.

The first interview is from IGN, where Sean Valesco (from Yacht Club Games) reveals how the Shovel Knight Amiibo came about:

http://youtu.be/gkdBnGNmlFU

The second is from Gameexplain, where Damon Baker (from NOA) explains the development of the Shovel Knight amiibo from Nintendo's side:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=N6hteiJaQ14

They are both very informative interviews and well worth a watch, but Damon Baker said something in particular that I want to emphasize:

Damon Baker said:
What's something Nintendo can offer that nobody else can? Amiibo!

Amiibo has passed 21 million units sold last October, so it's safe to say that Nintendo's venture into the toy-to-life market has been a success. Well what if Nintendo took that success, and offered it as a service to help other third party developers try their hand in the toy-to-life market via Amiibo? Imagine Final Fantasy XV launching alongside a FF Amiibo lineup, Fallout 5 with a pip-boy Amiibo, A new rayman/rabbids game with a Rayman Amiibo lineup, Assassin's Creed with an Amiibo, a new Tomb Raider with a Lara Croft Amiibo, Street Figther V with an Amiibo lineup, etc.

Assuming NX is easier to port to than the WiiU, a third party developer could potentially use little resources to pull out a port that A. would be playable on a home and portable console (assuming the rumors are true) B. have the extra incentive of toy-to-life exposure/profits, and C. the extra exposure from potential Amiibo support in Nintendo titles going forward.

Now I'm not saying that Amiibo would suddenly have EA bringing back their sports titles or Rockstar bringing over the next GTA, but the Amiibo incentive could be used to win back some of the third-party developers that have slowly started to pull away from Nintendo after being burned one to many times before.

Opinions?

Edit: I'm currently posting from my phone so I apologize for any typos.

Of course.

Though I am still salty about the incredibly NDAs that were supposed to explain the fact that no one seemed to have a game planned on WiiU back when it launched. Turned out there just was no game finally.

Sometimes the more simple explanation is the better. Perhaps likes like EA just have no devkit yet. Ubi? Perhaps just one of their studios. Activision, probably but we know that bringing games to a Nintendo machine won't be a top priority for these ones.

If I remember correctly Wii U got games like Mass Effect, Assassins Creed, Tekken and Batman at launch or short after launch.

Josh5890

Amiibo has passed 21 million units sold last October, so it's safe to say that Nintendo's venture into the toy-to-life market has been a success. Well what if Nintendo took that success, and offered it as a service to help other third party developers try their hand in the toy-to-life market via Amiibo? Imagine Final Fantasy XV launching alongside a FF Amiibo lineup, Fallout 5 with a pip-boy Amiibo, A new rayman/rabbids game with a Rayman Amiibo lineup, Assassin's Creed with an Amiibo, a new Tomb Raider with a Lara Croft Amiibo, Street Figther V with an Amiibo lineup, etc.

I....would.....buy all of those

Neoxon

I watched two interesting Amiibo-related interviews yesterday, and it got me thinking about how Nintendo could potentially gain back a respectable amount of third party support for the NX.

The first interview is from IGN, where Sean Valesco (from Yacht Club Games) reveals how the Shovel Knight Amiibo came about:

http://youtu.be/gkdBnGNmlFU

The second is from Gameexplain, where Damon Baker (from NOA) explains the development of the Shovel Knight amiibo from Nintendo's side:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=N6hteiJaQ14

They are both very informative interviews and well worth a watch, but Damon Baker said something in particular that I want to emphasize:

Assuming NX is easier to port to than the WiiU, a third party developer could potentially use little resources to pull out a port that A. would be playable on a home and portable console (assuming the rumors are true) B. have the extra incentive of toy-to-life exposure/profits, and C. the extra exposure from potential Amiibo support in Nintendo titles going forward.

Now I'm not saying that Amiibo would suddenly have EA bringing back their sports titles or Rockstar bringing over the next GTA, but the Amiibo incentive could be used to win back some of the third-party developers that have slowly started to pull away from Nintendo after being burned one to many times before.

Opinions?

Edit: I'm currently posting from my phone so I apologize for any typos.
Street Fighter V is never leaving PS4 & PC, just letting you know. You do have a point with the rest, though.

mapet318

Banned
I haven't seen this addressed yet. Does anyone else think that Nintendo will release some sort of "amiibo 2"? No changes that the consumer would notice, but an update to how amiibo NFC actually works. Because I've bought my two amiibo and I have no desire for any more. The encryption involved has already been broken. I can buy an N2 Elite and not have to deal with locked content anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom