• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Street Fighter V is never leaving PS4 & PC, just letting you know. You do have a point with the rest, though.

Oh that's right, I keep forgetting that Sony had a hand in SFV's development. Well the point still stands.

Now you have me thinking about a Ryo Hazuki Amiibo... And how it will never happen... :/

Neoxon

If I could make that bet, I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft paid for MvC 4 exclusiveness to combat the Street Fighter V PS4. MS has been know to pay up before.
I thought Microsoft was moving away from buying out third party exclusives? Plus it would screw over Capcom's CFN initiative.

On-topic, anything to look forward to for potential NX news after the 2nd?

Hermii

I'm not feeling good about the NX reveal.

That was the big secret wtf??? PowerPC 750 cpu? 100% independent library between handheld and console? What were they thinking when they named that thing??

maxcriden

Rösti;193829096 said:
TSE operating hours are 09.00 - 15.00 (JST). I believe the earnings release will come on February 2 after the market closes.

Sometime shortly after 01.00 AM EST Feb. 2 then.

Rösti;193831697 said:
Nintendo's FY 2015 Third Quarter Financial Results Briefing starts at 10.00 AM (JST) on February 3. How long the presentation will be I don't know, but it will be followed by a Q&A session.

Thanks Rösti! I get confused about the time zones when we get to talking about middle of the night vs. the next day for some reason. So, middle of the night Monday (Feb 1-2) night for us US EST folks for the earnings release, and then Tuesday evening 8 PM EST for the briefing.

Both said their contacts didn't have kits.

Ah, that's right. I forgot. Thank you. I remember now that when I read that I convinced myself that possibility their cntatcs work at the same company. Whether or not that's the case, who knows. 😅

Imagine how great it would be to Hype for a.. normal console that wouldn't have a normal third party support anyway.

I'm thinking about this now and...I would be hyped for that. New Nintendo systems where you can play the game on HH or console that may see many more games released* than we are used to just getting on one Nintendo system. That's cool. I like that it will potentiallyvoffer this option. I don't need a gimmick beyond that but motion controls and dual screens and
the GamePad all prices me way, way wrong so I am open to one depending on what it is and possibly if it's not a gimmick that appeals to me, also depending on how much it affects games for the system. So yeah. I'm cool with that. And maybe we will get that. But Nintendo doesn't need to do anything to hype me other than make games. They could have stopped making new systems as of Wii, excepting a jump into HD I suppose, and just make games forever on that platform and build a handheld off of it and I'd be down.

*I'm still a bit worried Nintendo will be overly nervous about releasing too many games at the same time.

Nothing obviously. It would remain the Wii U game that it is right now.

I'm torn on this. See my response to DKHF below.

They said their contacts told them they have no kits. If the contacts are under tight ndas that is the only thing they could have said without revealing anything.

Oh, good point. I forgot about that aspect. I'll just say though that if their sources were willing to share with them before and break NDAs previously, I'm sure they were taking a risk then, too...although IIRC in one of their cases they were the leaker themselves, in at least one instance of Wii U info they shared? But maybe I'm confused here.

Yes it would be that, then the NX console release with higher resolution etc would have to be released later at the launch of the NX console in 2017. Or they could hold back the NX version (handheld and console) for the launch of the NX console in 2017.

Edit: Oh wait if all NX games are only released as one cartridge (not separate releases for console and handheld) then they couldn't launch the console and handheld version separately, my bad.

But I still think Nintendo could just release the Zelda NX cartridge at the launch of the handheld.

As I said to Moon above, I'm kinda torn on this. For one, yes, they could release Zelda NX handheld only this Fall and then release the cart, playable on both systems, at the launch of the handheld. But as you said they could also just hold off on releasing Zelda NX at all until the console comes out, if it does in fact come out after the handheld. When we get into this level of speculation though a few things come to mind for me.

One, I still think Zelda at least in the West is a big draw as a system seller, especially if it reinvents the look of the franchise dramatically as it seems to in Zelda U for the first time since Spaceworld 2001 unveiled Toon Link. So if Nintendo this fall offers a new handheld or console with no way to play the new Zelda and a similar asking price as Wii U, maybe people will just say, eh, I'm getting a cheap Wii U this year for Zelda.

Second, as KingSnake has discussed previously in this thread, and wisely so, I think it's a bit of a mess for Nintendo to release these two systems more than a short period of time apart. If the handheld comes out first people will play game x and not care about getting the console just to replay it. If the console comes out first, then you're faced with the opposite problem. If the main hook of NX is that you can play all the same games on two different form factors, why release the systems at different times? I think it just creates confusion and cognitive dissonance for the consumer. Hmm. It's a tough nut to crack for sure. I understand the problem of shelf space. But...Nintendo wants to return to significant profits by March 2017, if I recall correctly. I don't see a handheld alone necessarily being a big enough holiday seller and I think to achieve the rumored shipment numbers and/or projected profits both systems may need to arrive by the end of the next fiscal year. (If I'm totally mistaken in this thought process, anyone please feel free to correct me.)

We haven't seen a console launch outside of the holiday season in the West at least since...9/9/99? If anything the handheld could release more easily at another time of year, but then you have the other problem of the two recent big handhelds releasing not in the holiday season (in the West at least) and having difficulties in the market, which then makes me wonder if the handheld would do better released during the holidays.

I could see a scenario where Square gives Nintendo a lot of that support the PSP received back in the day. There is a market for them in the handheld realm. The 3DS took some of it but there is so much more potential.

I could see that, for sure. I'd be glad to see that and I'd like to see Capcom and SE bring significant and diverse third party support to Nintendo systems.

I'll also say I see a future where Microsoft and Rareware games well...I see a path for them to eventually come to NX. It sounds crazy at first blush but a few things. One, Minecraft is soaring up the Wii U charts and after a brief period of being available is already the top selling digital game for Wii U in JP, per HoL's thread. That is amazing. Second, I don't see Microsoft bothering to release their next XB in Japan after the abysnal sales of XB1 there. I also feel like its not unprecedented insofar as Microsoft was willing to release RW games on DS and even expirmented with further use of Microsoft IP in developing games for the system. So, if all handheld games for NX aren't by definition playable on the NX console I think this theory is a smidge more likely. But either way I could see it happening. If NX is mega ppopular and Microsoft has a tough road to making profits in gaming in JP I don't think this would be an impossible road for the companies to go down. I could also see a future where Microsoft merges with Nintendo and we go back to a two-system market but that's a bit more outlandish at the moment.

If Nintendo have been creating a port of Zelda for both the NX handheld (if it could run Zelda Wii U) and console then possibly an NX handheld version could be released. If not then just the Wii U version.

Why would anyone want to play a game seemingly as big as Zelda on a handheld though?

jonno394

I'm not feeling good about the NX reveal.

That was the big secret wtf??? PowerPC 750 cpu? 100% independent library between handheld and console? What were they thinking when they named that thing??

What? What big secret was revealed that you're questioning as "that was the big secret?"?

DKHF

Why would anyone want to play a game seemingly as big as Zelda on a handheld though?
I don't see why not, there is a lot of huge games on handheld. It would be the same experience as on console just scaled down (visually, not in terms of content). There might not be a lot of large open world games on handheld but I think it could be popular. It might be more popular than the console version in the Japanese market too.

Neoxon

As I said to Moon above, I'm kinda torn on this. For one, yes, they could release Zelda NX handheld only this Fall and then release the cart, playable on both systems, at the launch of the handheld. But as you said they could also just hold off on releasing Zelda NX at all until the console comes out, if it does in fact come out after the handheld. When we get into this level of speculation though a few things come to mind for me.

One, I still think Zelda at least in the West is a big draw as a system seller, especially if it reinvents the look of the franchise dramatically as it seems to in Zelda U for the first time since Spaceworld 2001 unveiled Toon Link. So if Nintendo this fall offers a new handheld or console with no way to play the new Zelda and a similar asking price as Wii U, maybe people will just say, eh, I'm getting a cheap Wii U this year for Zelda.

Second, as KingSnake has discussed previously in this thread, and wisely so, I think it's a bit of a mess for Nintendo to release these two systems more than a short period of time apart. If the handheld comes out first people will play game x and not care about getting the console just to replay it. If the console comes out first, then you're faced with the opposite problem. If the main hook of NX is that you can play all the same games on two different form factors, why release the systems at different times? I think it just creates confusion and cognitive dissonance for the consumer. Hmm. It's a tough nut to crack for sure. I understand the problem of shelf space. But...Nintendo wants to return to significant profits by March 2017, if I recall correctly. I don't see a handheld alone necessarily being a big enough holiday seller and I think to achieve the rumored shipment numbers and/or projected profits both systems may need to arrive by the end of the next fiscal year. (If I'm totally mistaken in this thought process, anyone please feel free to correct me.)

We haven't seen a console launch outside of the holiday season in the West at least since...9/9/99? If anything the handheld could release more easily at another time of year, but then you have the other problem of the two recent big handhelds releasing not in the holiday season (in the West at least) and having difficulties in the market, which then makes me wonder if the handheld would do better released during the holidays.
You have to consider that Nintendo's handhelds typically sell better than the consoles. So if they really want to go back to "Nintendo-like" profits, it'd be best to prime the handheld for a holiday release. As for why they would split the releases, it'd be for the same reason why iPhones & iPads don't release at the same time. You'd avoid making the lives of retailers a living hell & you'll increase the chances of people wanting to double-dip later. You don't get that if you front-load everything.

DKHF

I also think it would be unwise to release the handheld and console NX significantly far apart from each other. I was just responding to the hypothetical situation where only the NX handheld launches this year. The best case scenario for Zelda on NX would be both the NX handheld and console launching this fall with the Zelda NX cartridge (alongside the Wii U version) IMO.

You have to consider that Nintendo's handhelds typically sell better than the consoles. So if they really want to go back to "Nintendo-like" profits, it'd be best to prime the handheld for a holiday release. As for why they would split the releases, it'd be for the same reason why iPhones & iPads don't release at the same time. You'd avoid making the lives of retailers a living hell & you'll increase the chances of people wanting to double-dip later. You don't get that if you front-load everything.

But then what about the home console market? Wii U doesn't have the software to survive another year and a half to 2 years.

If only the NX handheld releases this year, what would happen to Zelda?
Yeah, that's the thing. Either that's delayed or they launch it first on Wii U.
I think Wii U can do with a good Paper Mario for its holiday title. So even though I'd be a bit upset, I think releasing it in March (if the console comes out by then) would be smart

Datschge

It's almost hard to believe that Nintendo's CPU partner for home consoles has been IBM, for the last 17 years.

That's nothing compared to the partnership behind Silicon Graphics/ArtX/ATi/AMD. One splinter and two mergers couldn't stop the continuity lasting 23 years so far, and unlike with IBM it's rather unlikely to stop now.

Neoxon

But then what about the home console market? Wii U doesn't have the software to survive another year and a half to 2 years.
I never said that the NX Console would have to wait until late next year, probably until early next year (say, February or March).

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
It's like playing Skyrim on your cellphone. It's impractical and there are better designed games on handhelds.

If my cellphone had all the buttons needed to play Skyrim with a suspend feature then I don't see how it would be impractical. Actually that would be awesome.

Some people just don't have the free time to sit down in front a TV for three hours a session just to play a video game. Hell I only work three days a week (12 hours shifts) but with a fiancée, puppy, and social life I've strugged to push through Xenoblade X, and had the same trouble with Witcher 3 and Fallout 4. Thankfully
I can play Xenoblade X on the Gamerpad when needed and Witcher 3/Fallout 4 on remote play through the Vita. Is that prefered? No, but it's not impractical.

Neoxon

But Nintendo never releases new home consoles in those months. What about people who get Wii U for Christmas.
That argument goes both ways. You could argue about those who would get a 3DS for Christmas if the NX Console came out first & the NX Handheld came out later. Either way, the NX Handheld is probably gonna sell more (assuming that the shared platform thing pans out). As such, I wouldn't be shocked if said NX Handheld ends up being the flagship NX device & is treated as such.

I did a video about the NX and one commenter is determined to believe it will involve the Wii U:

James Hunter50 minutes ago
I'll put money down now that the nx is a tablet stye console designed to work both as a stand alone with a chromecast style adaptor for use on tv's and as a controller for the wii u they will probably have seporate software for it but it will work for miltiplayer with 3ds that way they can sell three copies of every game to the nintendo nuts and capture the wikipad android gamer market.

James Hunter44 minutes ago
Forgot to mention if the nx is a tblet based console with 4g or just good wiki it could suport remote play for the wii u.

James Hunter36 minutes ago
I dont like to coment so much but saying the wii u is at the end of its lifespan is patent rubish it costs a huge amounts to develop a console and theres still more than twelv milion wii u's out there the logical path is user base expansion through expanding the market with a new platform which will encorage people to by other nintendo products.

I love the Wii U and all but I didn't realise some people were reluctant to let it go.

doop_

Banned
That argument goes both ways. You could argue about those who would get a 3DS for Christmas if the NX Console came out first & the NX Handheld came out later. Either way, the NX Handheld is probably gonna sell more (assuming that the shared platform thing pans out). As such, I wouldn't be shocked if said NX Handheld ends up being the flagship NX device & is treated as such.
I don't think a handheld can or will be treated as a flagship device of a company if said company makes a device with better specification's.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
The thing that justifies super strict NDAs

If I understand your posts correctly, you're saying you don't feel good about the NX's reveal because of how the Wii U went? I think that's reasonable. Personally, I think it could go either way, so I'm feeling rather neutral.

Oddduck

I wouldn't recommend launching any Nintendo hardware outside of the Sept-Dec timeframe.

When I think of hardware launching in North America in the spring or summer, I think of failed hardware like Sega Saturn (May), PS Vita (March), and Virtual Boy (August).

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't recommend launching any Nintendo hardware outside of the Sept-Dec timeframe.

When I think of hardware launching in North America in the spring or summer, I think of failed hardware like Sega Saturn (May), PS Vita (March), and Virtual Boy (August)

To be fair, the 3DS launched in March, too, and ended up being a success. Then again, it had to relaunch that summer/holiday season with a price drop and bigger games.

Oddduck

To be fair, the 3DS launched in March, too, and ended up being a success. Then again, it had to relaunch that summer/holiday season with a price drop and flagship games.

The 3DS launched in March and it struggled out the gate, which forced Iwata to slash the price by $70 six months later.

And you're right, 3DS sales didn't rebound until the holidays when Mario Kart and 3D World were released.

The 3DS launched in March and it struggled out the gate, which forced Iwata to slash the price by $70 six months later.

3DS sales didn't rebound until the holidays when Mario Kart and 3D World were released.

This is true but we can't guarantee if that was because of its launch time or because it was a more appealing product 6 months later with more games and a cheaper price tag.

Trago

We have to think about it from a different perspective. I agree with Neoxon that the handheld will be flagship device, because outside of the Wii, handhelds have been their flagship for the past several generations.

No shit they would launch their money maker first. The console should be treated as an extension to that. Like the iPad to the iPhone.

We have to think about it from a different perspective. I agree with Neoxon that the handheld will be flagship device, because outside of the Wii, handhelds have been their flagship for the past several generations.

No shit they would launch their money maker first. The console should be treated as an extension to that. Like the iPad to the iPhone.

They've shown this practise with Super Smash Bros, we can expect to see it again.

Oddduck

This is true but we can't guarantee if that was because of its launch time or because it was a more appealing product 6 months later with more games and a cheaper price tag.

From what I can remember, the Game Boy Advance is one of the few times where a piece of hardware was successful after launching in spring or summer. (It launched in June 11, 2001)

doop_

Banned

That feels really weird to me. The DS lite was my first gaming device.

Trago

They've shown this practise with Super Smash Bros, we can expect to see it again.

Only this time, we wouldn't have to worry about two separate versions if the library is shared. If they launch the console later, you already have your library with you in the handheld. That software is just accessible on the more expensive, powerful device.

Hence, iPhones and iPads.

That doesn't work if Nintendo are making a shared platform. Iwata said they would take into account different environments for different regions.

Iwata said:
When it comes to how dedicated game systems are being played, the situations have become rather different, especially between Japan and overseas. Since we are always thinking about how to create a new platform that will be accepted by as many people around the world as possible, we would like to offer to them "a dedicated video game platform with a brand new concept" by taking into consideration various factors, including the playing environments that differ by country.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/150508qa/02.html

Maybe we can add this quote to the OP's links?

Only this time, we wouldn't have to worry about two separate versions if the library is shared. If they launch the console later, you already have your library with you in the handheld. That software is just accessible on the more expensive, powerful device.

Hence, iPhones and iPads.
Yep thats what I'm most looking forward to learning about and hopefully its an official feature and not just something lost in speculation and analyzation. Lets hope we find out shortly.

It would also mean Nintendo wouldn't be developing software for two different audiences, the infamous example here being New Super Mario Bros. 2 and New Super Mario Bros. U shipping within months of each other. This should result in more franchises being covered and a greater output of software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom