• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richie

I think launching both at the same time will be confusing for consumers. Unless they're being sold as a single product that functions as two.

They are gonna be sharing shelves for most of their retail life anyway, may as well launch them together and leave things as clear as possible for prospective buyers.

I don't think the main selling point is the shared library, that wouldn't make a lot of sense to me.

Hey it's the new nintendo system!
>why would I want one of those?
because you can play the same games on the other new nintendo system!
>but I don't have one of those either...

which would be the case for every single customer on launch day. staggering them makes more sense in some ways, a generous software bundle for the second unit would tempt owners of the first .

That main selling point was the reason I bought both a PS4 and a PSVita. The large amount of cross-play shared library games meaning that I could play them at home on my TV and on the go.

Being someone who has owned every Nintendo console and handheld, I can't begin to tell you how much of a selling point it'd be for me to have a shared library between the two.

Do you want to play at home? Great, do that, but do it knowing if you ever want to go portable or vice versa that you're entire library comes with you. It's an investment that isn't locked to one piece of hardware.

I don't see how someone doesn't see that as a compelling selling point.

That main selling point was the reason I bought both a PS4 and a PSVita. The large amount of cross-play shared library games meaning that I could play them at home on my TV and on the go.

Being someone who has owned every Nintendo console and handheld, I can't begin to tell you how much of a selling point it'd be for me to have a shared library between the two.

Do you want to play at home? Great, do that, but do it knowing if you ever want to go portable or vice versa that you're entire library comes with you. It's an investment that isn't locked to one piece of hardware.

It's the reason I bought a Vita too but clearly it isn't an important selling feature when you look at Vita sales

MoonFrog

I don't think the main selling point is the shared library, that wouldn't make a lot of sense to me.

Hey it's the new nintendo system!
>why would I want one of those?
because you can play the same games on the other new nintendo system!
>but I don't have one of those either...

which would be the case for every single customer on launch day. staggering them makes more sense in some ways, a generous software bundle for the second unit would tempt owners of the first .

Yeah, shared library is going to a) be a selling gimmick because the consoles are bundled together, b) be a way to try and convince purchasers of one to also get the other, or c) affect sales only in that it helps Nintendo prevent software droughts making the consoles more attractive while also making the consoles ~one platform, lessening the demand on Nintendo.

I think as to a) that if it does happen, it'll probably be the expensive option with standalone options for the individual consoles, lessening its impact. I think some degree of b) and c) will happen if Nintendo is doing what we think they are doing.

If there is a front facing gimmick, it has to be something else in my mind. Maybe it is being super cheap? Mobile connectivity? Strange, new input device? That said, a) does have its charms for the hardcore Nintendo consumer. I'd love to open a bundle of two Nintendo consoles :p.

Hmm...yes, this is true. What I was considering when I wrote that was the question of having enough supply for each region, but maybe I was a bit pessimistic. I could potentially see it being NA/JP in 2016 and Europe/Australia in early 2017, but I would presume they are hoping they can have a worldwide release in 2016.

Oh, what you said is possible. I just don't think it is something Nintendo would want or plan to do, as the poster above you elaborated upon. Coupled with the "20 million" rumor, I think they'll have enough units for a simultaneous launch in various territories. The "20 million" figure itself sounds crazy but I think the direction it is pointing might say something. (Well crazy unless NX is strange or that is 10 mil HH and 10 mil Home).

ZOONAMI

It's the reason I bought a Vita too but clearly it isn't an important selling feature when you look at Vita sales

That's because Vita doesn't deliver on it's promise, and Sony actually lost a class action lawsuit over it.

ika

They will release the portable this year anticipating you that it will also be the home controller to sell the home the year after with and without the controller itself
The problem is if the first games are made just for the NX handheld (and this would make sense since developers aren't going to spend extra money to upgrade assets and textures when the console won't be ready until a year after), when people buy the NX stationary those games won't look better, so the main point of the unified platform won't be appreciated.

TheJoRu

The thing is, I'm actually not expecting a 100% shared library, which is another reason as to why I'm imagining the console releasing in fall 2017. Even if the hardware side of it could be finished earlier I think there will be games for each that are exclusive to one of them. Some, maybe a lot, will be cross-compatible, but are we really thinking developers will be forced to develop for all NX-machines? Even if it turns out to be a super easy process I think it's a stretch, and I could see a developer like Nintendo going "this is a better fit for handheld" or vice versa for some games.

So I simply think they'll need some time to get the software ready, and to allow third-parties to have software ready, and to make logistics a bit easier, and be able to sell it as a new exciting product during the holidays.

Now before you go "but they can't possibly keep Wii U going through 2017?!", well...no. And they won't really support it much either. It will sell poorly, few games will come out. But Nintendo themselves will be fine; smartphone games, amiibo and the NX portable will keep the business profitable, while Wii U-owners will be waiting to move on to the next thing in the fall. Despite this, it's still just a 5 year generation for Wii U, it's not in any way a long time, even considering its sales failures. It's 1-2 years below what's usual these days for a console's life span.

MoonFrog

The thing is, I'm actually not expecting a 100% shared library, which is another reason as to why I'm imagining the console releasing in fall 2017. Even if the hardware side of it could be finished earlier I think there will be games for each that are exclusive to one of them. Some, maybe a lot, will be cross-compatible, but are we really thinking developers will be forced to develop for all NX-machines? Even if it turns out to be a super easy process I think it's a stretch, and I could see a developer like Nintendo going "this is a better fit for handheld" or vice versa for some games.

So I simply think they'll need some time to get the software ready, and to allow third-parties to have software ready, and to make logistics a bit easier, and be able to sell it as a new exciting product during the holidays.

Now before you go "but they can't possibly keep Wii U going through 2017?!", well...no. And they won't really support it much either. It will sell poorly, few games will come out. But Nintendo themselves will be fine; smartphone games, amiibo and the NX portable will keep the business profitable, while Wii U-owners will be waiting to move on to the next thing in the fall. Despite this, it's still just a 5 year generation for Wii U, it's not in any way a long time, even considering its sales failures. It's 1-2 years below what's usual these days for a console's life span.

They did sacrifice Wii U launch to 3DS shoring up. I could totally see them doing the same thing to Wii U for NX handheld launch. As a home console first gamer, that is something I really don't want but handheld is Nintendo's leading market. Even if 3DS is doing better than Wii U, the success of its successor is that much more important to Nintendo. It is also a somewhat dubious proposition. Who knows what the market is for an unestablished handheld in Japan today? Nintendo needs it to exist and they need to prove that exists to its third party partners at some point. I could totally see Nintendo sacrificing Wii U and letting their already lagging home console presence stagnate more on account of these things. It is a harmful decision, but perhaps the best one none-the-less.

I really hope that that is not what is happening and we get a ~simultaneous launch of the two.

yoonshik

I just want a region free handheld like any other handheld was before DSi (correct me if i'm wrong). When it comes to games, i think they need to attract first its longtime fans who want Nintendo games. I'm not buying a Nintendo console for CoD, or Mass Effect. I understand people who want these multiplatform games on a Nintendo console, but you know, no one bought Wii U to play Mass Effect; they bought it for Mario Kart or Smash Bros. In the end, they just have to price it right and do some marketing work (like they did for Wii). Things like shared library, region free, cross-play, are just nice extras to reach a wider audience.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
The thing is, I'm actually not expecting a 100% shared library, which is another reason as to why I'm imagining the console releasing in fall 2017.

It sounds highly plausible that Virtual Console, My Nintendo, and eShop digital games are destined for universal compatibility between the NX console and NX hand held. The million dollar question is whether the bigger retail IPs will be cross-hardware. Does Super Mario Galaxy 3 get released on both platforms on one SKU? Does Super Mario Galaxy 3 get released on both platforms on two separate SKU?

As far as releasing the console in 2017. It doesn't make sense to spread "brother platforms" by a year. That completely defeats the purpose of a product line that works as a family. The console space is also the one where Nintendo is facing stiff competition and making much less money from.

Bitanator

So you guys think that NX handheld will adapt take the faceplates from the new 3DS. Seems like those things are selling well in Japan.

the regular n3DS is selling like trash over in japan, I'd think the faceplates have been a disaster over there to be honest, it would be wise to not try to do that with the nx

It sounds highly plausible that Virtual Console, My Nintendo, and eShop digital games are destined for universal compatibility between the NX console and NX hand held. The million dollar question is whether the bigger retail IPs will be cross-hardware. Does Super Mario Galaxy 3 get released on both platforms on one SKU? Does Super Mario Galaxy 3 get released on both platforms on two separate SKU?

As far as releasing the console in 2017. It doesn't make sense to spread "brother platforms" by a year. That completely defeats the purpose of a product line that works as a family. The console space is also the one where Nintendo is facing stiff competition and making much less money from.

To me its pretty simple: They either learned from their mistakes and see where the market is heading, toward digital and unified platforms -> 100% shared library, where only form factor is a choice on preferences. Hardware but not brand agnostic.

Or they will play it dumb and offer some stupid crossbuy on some dd titles and on VC, struggling to release titles for two platforms even if things will be a bit more easier with unified developpement environnements and where one platform canibalize the other.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I was watching the latest episode of IGN's Nintendo Voice Chat and noticed an interesting comment by Brian Altano when they were discussing E3 2016:

Nintendo has a gigantic booth at E3, just like EA did. EA actually isn't on the show floor this year.

Now, this could be simply an expectation that Nintendo will be there. The ESA has actually not yet published an exhibitor list (I have reached out to them about this), so one cannot tell that Nintendo will exhibit this year. And the floor plans are not out yet either, though this I cannot tell for sure as their show codes are no longer just /E3XX at mapyourshow.com, but something more hard to guess (last year it was mk02jm307).

Last year Nintendo had these booths (in West Hall):

map02-largewbu2h.png

Also, if they are going to do a live press conference, as discussed in the Nintendo Voice Chat episode, I doubt it would be at Microsoft Theater (formerly Nokia Theater). Perhaps they could return to the venue of their E3 2006 press conference, Kodak Theatre (now Dolby Theatre)?

Peru

Yeah, shared library is going to a) be a selling gimmick because the consoles are bundled together, b) be a way to try and convince purchasers of one to also get the other, or c) affect sales only in that it helps Nintendo prevent software droughts making the consoles more attractive while also making the consoles ~one platform, lessening the demand on Nintendo.

Of course it would affect sales - sales of software. Assume a very considerable increase in, say, a Mario Kart game if it's available both for handheld and console.

I'm just afraid of an E3 like 2012 for Nintendo. I went into that showing thinking that we were going to see all of Nintendo's great ips in HD, and came away with just Pikmin 3.

Pro tip is not expecting that this time either. Console launches will be console launches. If a major IP is released for launch it will be that one only, and the other big titles to follow later even if they could theoretically put them out at the same time. They'll hopefully have some variety in place though.

Hyperbole

Banned

Not to mention local multiplayer on one machine isn't supported as much these days. If the portable runs everything then bring it to your friends and everyone gets their own screen. Personally I'm really feeling the pain with Splatoon. I'm dying to play this with 3 friends in the same room, but bringing 3 consoles and tvs over is just too much.

Ogodei

The selling point will be the library itself, which will be greatly enhanced by the cross-compatibility.

Although i imagine Nintendo will try a handful of other gimmicks and features to try and make it more compelling, because you're still looking at just a Nintendo/J-game box.

DavidDesu

It'll need to support every game and have seamless cloud saves between the two systems, otherwise this concept will be a disappointment to me personally. Nintendo... I hope they prove me wrong but I just don't see them making such obviously wise choices over some arbitrary bs they pluck out of their ass. Can't see them losing game sales, if they want you to buy a game twice as I half expect they will then it'll be a stupid system.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
started to create a long post regarding the hype train on the NX, which at this point, would disappoint outside of cold fusion.

But I didn't, because hype is fun
I like your conservatism. Anything short of a three-wish-genie would be a complete half-ass by nintendo.

I like your conservatism. Anything short of a three-wish-genie would be a complete half-ass by nintendo.

I dunno, seems less hype to me than past hardware. We have yet to get serious predictions of holograms and haptics, for instance.

Of course, some will go stark raving mad if the controller has even one less button or the GPU is one FLOP short of the PS4.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Rösti;194419487 said:
Also, if they are going to do a live press conference, as discussed in the Nintendo Voice Chat episode, I doubt it would be at Microsoft Theater (formerly Nokia Theater). Perhaps they could return to the venue of their E3 2006 press conference, Kodak Theatre (now Dolby Theatre)?

Wait, they think or they know?

Wait, they think or they know?

Think. I watched most of the episode.

They just agree that Nintendo should do one, but it won't matter if their showing is lackluster as regardless if it's on stage or a Direct, it won't make a difference, but a stage presentation if it's good would be huge.

ito007

The more I think about it, the more I feel like this has a chance to fail really hard. So is the running theory that they're gonna release a handheld and console separately, but will have the benefits of linking up?

Are we supposed to look at these two entities as totally separate things, or part of the same set?

The more I think about it, the more I feel like this has a chance to fail really hard. So is the running theory that they're gonna release a handheld and console separately, but will have the benefits of linking up?

Are we supposed to look at these two entities as totally separate things, or part of the same set?

Part of the same set.

blu

I dunno, seems less hype to me than past hardware. We have yet to get serious predictions of holograms and haptics, for instance.

Of course, some will go stark raving mad if the controller has even one less button or the GPU is one FLOP short of the PS4.
Epic phail.

That said, some parties (like EA) have taken AR to new heights. My RR3 911 RSR takes 4h 25 minutes of real time for maintenance after a track day*. I hope nintendo take AR even further..

* unless I pay moneys.

I don't think the handheld will reach even 3DS "highs" and their console situation will continue to flounder. I can't see a home run here outside of some miracle gimmick. Maybe I'm wrong and the reason they're so quiet is because they have a hit on their hands.

We'll see.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Nintendo has a gigantic booth at E3, just like EA did. EA actually isn't on the show floor this year.

Couldn't he just had been explaining that Nintendo always has a big booth?

Epic phail.

That said, some parties (like EA) have taken AR to new heights. My RR3 911 RSR takes 4h 25 minutes of real time for maintenance after a track day*. I hope nintendo take AR even further..

* unless I pay moneys.

Yeah, I've been giving AR more thought lately after thinking about that analyst comment. To a certain degree, it seems a bit obvious. They've been on board with AR over the last generation. How could advance it, though? Just by including a better camera and higher res screen?

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Couldn't he just had been explaining that Nintendo always has a big booth?
That's very likely. I think Nintendo has exhibited at E3 every year since the beginning, though with lesser resources put in during 2007 and 2008 (when E3 was the failed E3 Media & Business Summit).

Hermii

Yea maybe it works for you but the vita ain't selling too well. I think this approach will help in that it near doubles hopefully Nintendo first party support of both systems but it won't
be a huge selling point when it launches.

Peru

Nintendo don't need a megaton nor a miracle gimmick. They just need a solid launch and a promise of a well thought out ecosystem.

I don't think the handheld will reach even 3DS "highs" and their console situation will continue to flounder. I can't see a home run here outside of some miracle gimmick. Maybe I'm wrong and the reason they're so quiet is because they have a hit on their hands.

We'll see.

Them being "quiet" has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the product or lack thereof. Speculating on their success based on a strict NDA is silly.

jahasaja

Nintendo don't need a megaton nor a miracle gimmick. They just need a solid launch and a promise of a well thought out ecosystem.

They are launching in the middle of a console cycle after 2 systems that sold much less than their predecessors they obviously need more than "solid".

And that is why it is exciting..

blu

Yeah, I've been giving AR more thought lately after thinking about that analyst comment. To a certain degree, it seems a bit obvious. They've been on board with AR over the last generation. How could advance it, though? Just by including a better camera and higher res screen?
Something's been telling me the hh will perform a very specific function, in which the hh could be coupled with the home unit* for a very nifty effect. I can just smell it.

* and I dont' mean the obvious gamepad function.

Something's been telling me the hh will perform a very specific function, in which the hh could be coupled with the home unit* for a very nifty effect. I can just smell it.

* and I dont' mean the obvious gamepad function.

Damnit, blu! I need more than that! Let me think. A few people playing on the tv while the other one wanders around w/ the AR handheld?

Laser tag? lol

atbigelow

Wonder if it could be that the home console acts as the hub for multiplayer games, with the HH being a controller/gameview. A sort of "bring your own device" aspect to it.

Basically an OS-wide Jackbox Party Pack API. Depending on the demands of the game, it could even allow you to use your mobile phone.

Both console and HH can still play games individually and share a library in addition.

Mr Swine

Banned
Wonder if it could be that the home console acts as the hub for multiplayer games, with the HH being a controller/gameview. A sort of "bring your own device" aspect to it.

Basically an OS-wide Jackbox Party Pack API. Depending on the demands of the game, it could even allow you to use your mobile phone.

Both console and HH can still play games individually and share a library in addition.

Kinda like the GC and GBA for the few games (4 swords and paceman)

kinggroin

Banned
I hope it isn't so reliant on me needing to gather friends to make things fun, that online basics and traditional gaming are hurt .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom