• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It's also true that Nintendo has made far, far easier to reach them in these past few years (see: indie support on Wii U), not even counting the much-improved dev portal; so it seems more like a measure for "early access" to dev kits.

This is the impression I get by reading the original article

http://www.nintengen.com/2016/02/nintendo-nx-new-dev-kit-info-nda-updates.html

Also, there are developers who have had dev kits for a while (mostly Japanese third parties, I assume).

Early access with 9 months to go until the potential launch means only a handful of games ready for it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm a huge fan of nintendo games. But for the ones that prefer more 3rd party games, for what reason will they buy a nintendo nx console. What will nintendo do to convince them. Equal gfx as ps4 isnt a reason to buy one.

Nothing. That ship has sailed, and it is most likely why Nintendo goes with a shared library here. They can support that with their output, indies, and a few third-party games.

I'd think Capcom Namco and the E side of SE have kits and launch titles lined up for a while.

3rd party 3DS launch lineup was mostly ports, beside Ghost Recon which was moved from DS during development. I don't expect mucb different here besides a stronger showing from Nintendo.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ah, right, if he intends to port a PS4 title on NX, that makes me assume we're talking about the home NX device here.

AzaK

I'm confused as to how the rumour states that dev kits haven't gone out to the wider group of developers but also that it's seems to be targeting 2016. Who the hell is developing games then? (Apart from the few keys third parties mentioned).

I worry that Nintendo's secretive ways will hurt them once again. The ps4 was designed around dev feedback and we can see what a success that was.

Also, I cannot fathom the idea of at least one SKU not releasing in 2016. It would be a massive mistake to wait until next year.
Nothing to be confused about. Nintendo could very well be carrying on with their retraction into key Japanese partnerships plus their own games. Nintendo doesn't care about Western AAA games.

Mpl90

I'd think Capcom Namco and the E side of SE have kits and launch titles lined up for a while.

I'd say Capcom, Namco, all of Square Enix (it doesn't make sense that just the "Enix" side has dev kits), SEGA (+ Atlus) and Tecmo Koei. All of them, more or less (between partnerships, collaborations and "mere" support) are key partners for Nintendo. I'd dare to say that there could be some Western devs who already got them. My mind goes to devs like Activision/Ubisoft/Warner Bros., Western developers who are still releasing games on Nintendo consoles, and some of them are quite important for the usual Nintendo environment (Activision: Skylanders; Ubisoft: Just Dance; Warner Bros.: Lego - games that sell well, if not the most, on Nintendo platforms in US at least).

...It's also true that this kind of collides with that rumour from the BitBoy developer, who seemingly got dev kits already, at the point he was implementing special features in his game compared to the Steam version. Quite specific new features, that could involve scrollable shoulders.

Maybe the process is a bit different for indie developers? Maybe other tools that don't necessairly require physical dev kits are enough for them?

for enix I just meant that it's more likely one of their historic ip to be at launch, but of course the whole studio should have access. Alternatively something like bust-a-move.
I don't trust that bitboy thing but it should be easy enough to plan something with Web Framework or Unity before getting a physical kit.

QaaQer

...It's also true that this kind of collides with that rumour from the BitBoy developer, who seemingly got dev kits already, at the point he was implementing special features in his game compared to the Steam version. Quite specific new features, that could involve scrollable shoulders.

all I could find was this,

Geiblinger added that the Steam version will continue to grow with updates, and it will be possible to create levels that can be shared with NX players. Also, Bplus intends for the NX version to make use of eight colors as opposed to Steam’s limit of four thanks to the controls, “which opens possibilities to completely different pictures and modes for NX version.”
“You will definitely see Kubi traveling back to the old Bit-Eras on NX. Stay tuned. Cannot talk about something specific before Nintendo announces the new platform.”
http://nintendoeverything.com/bplus-looking-to-bring-puzzlebox-setup-successor-to-nx-teases-more-for-bit-boy/

Did he say more? And what does 'nx version to make use of 8 colors as opposed to steam's limit of four thanks to the controls' mean?

thefro

If this rumor is true I have to believe dev kits will be going out well before E3. Going to be hard to make a 2016 launch if you can't even order a kit until E3.

It also suggests we'll see the NX revealed before E3 given the NDA's timing.

Also, unless this is an indie studio, my guess is they have received a general idea of the performance of the console and know it can handle their game.

As far as the BitBoy developer goes, I suspect he doesn't actually have a dev kit and is trying to hype his game.

I don't see a logical way to connect the shoulder wheel concept to what that dev said, Any regular old shoulder button can turn four buttons into eight by way of a shift or toggle.
Now... if there was a donut screen around each stick that could comfotably house eight virtual buttons instead of four, maybe! but I don't want to put much stock into what he said.
edit: having now looked at the game in question, it makes the comment a bit more intriguing, but could possibly be done just by using a regular touch screen like the 3ds version does.

spekkeh

Banned
I'm slightly bothered that devkits haven't been released yet in significant quantities. On the other hand, trying to give the limelight to 3rd parties (or so they said) did absolutely nothing for the Wii u at the time. So Nintendo has to pull all the weight in the beginning anyway, and then it might just be better to control all of the marketing up until that point. At the moment the only thing Nintendo really needs to have taken care off is to keep Unity in the loop, so indie games can be ported in the first place.

I'd say Capcom, Namco, all of Square Enix (it doesn't make sense that just the "Enix" side has dev kits), SEGA (+ Atlus) and Tecmo Koei. All of them, more or less (between partnerships, collaborations and "mere" support) are key partners for Nintendo. I'd dare to say that there could be some Western devs who already got them. My mind goes to devs like Activision/Ubisoft/Warner Bros., Western developers who are still releasing games on Nintendo consoles, and some of them are quite important for the usual Nintendo environment (Activision: Skylanders; Ubisoft: Just Dance; Warner Bros.: Lego - games that sell well, if not the most, on Nintendo platforms in US at least).

Maybe the process is a bit different for indie developers? Maybe other tools that don't necessairly require physical dev kits are enough for them?

My bets:

Sega:
- Sonic 25th Anniversary game (both the main console game, and possibly a second more handheld-oriented game by Dimps, the usual)
- Super Monkey Ball (crushingly absent on Wii U :( )

Capcom
- Monster Hunter X Ultimate
- Monster Hunter Stories (more of a straight port, I don't see a G release)

Bandai Namco:
- Tekken 7
- Tales of Berseria (though Baba isn't exactly fond of non-Sony releases, who knows)
- Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
- Ridge Racer 8 (VERY wishful thinking lol)

Tecmo Koei:
- Romance of the 3 Kingdoms 13 (Nintendo got 11 and 12)
- Whatever traditional Warriors game is out at the time (aside from Hyrule Warriors)

Level 5:
- Yokai Watch (3?)
- Ni No Kuni 2
- Layton?

Activision:
- Skylanders 6 (would love to see a Superchargers port with a higher-quality DK figure released...)
- Call of Duty (would be Current Infinity Ward's game, ugh)
- Maybe a Platinum-made licensed game?

WB:
- Lego
- Batman Arkham Knight?

EA (...)
- Madden
- FIFA

Ubisoft:
- Assassin's Creed
- The Division?
- Rabbids (hard to predict since it's very quiet lately)
- Rayman? (also hard to predict with no indication of any new game)

All for launch or near.

Ubisoft:
- Assassin's Creed
- The Division?
- Rabbids (hard to predict since it's very quiet lately)
- Rayman? (also hard to predict with no indication of any new game)

All for launch or near.

Ubi has also been pretty good about creating exclusive launch titles that showcase the new features of the Nintendo Platform, even if some of them took a sequel to get it right.

Wii had Raving Rabbids and Red Steel, Wii U had ZombiU.

I'm wondering if Ubi has another showcase title in the works for NX.

maxcriden

The Developer and Studio he works for has been informed of the date/time frame they are allowed to start ordering NX dev kits, but they are under a strict NDA not to reveal this time frame until Nintendo has officially revealed the NX to the public.

A company being under a strict NDA to reveal the time frame during which they can order dev kits sounds...like quite an NDA. How would this be enforced? I mean...Nintendo would reach out to devs or vice versa. Then Nintendo would say, NX exists. Before we can tell you when you can request a dev kit from us, you need to sign an NDA that you won't reveal the timeframe during which you can request a dev kit. Whoa. Nintendo ninjas are really out in full force if that's true. (The NDA probably includes a stipulation to not even talk about it, too.)

thefro

Yeah. Hard to be that optimistic. :p

Do YOU have any bold guesses? :)

Square Enix being on board is the obvious change from the Wii U launch.

Also, just with how EA has their development environment set up now, if you can get Frostbite and Ignite both running on NX it makes ports much more likely as all their big games run off those two engines these days. So I do expect better support from them unless Nintendo hasn't learned anything.

You're forgetting Dragon Quest X and Deus Ex HR DC (the latter initially being an exclusive).
Square Enix's first game was a late port of a Wii MMO that didn't come until several months after launch. Deus Ex was pitched by the studio that made it. Not sure if you can count that as much support.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
A company being under a strict NDA to reveal the time frame during which they can order dev kits sounds...like quite an NDA. How would this be enforced? I mean...Nintendo would reach out to devs or vice versa. Then Nintendo would say, NX exists. Before we can tell you when you can request a dev kit from us, you need to sign an NDA that you won't reveal the timeframe during which you can request a dev kit. Whoa. Nintendo ninjas are really out in full force if that's true. (The NDA probably includes a stipulation to not even talk about it, too.)
Quite standard practice I'd say. Anyone under a Nintendo NDA shall not confirm, deny, defend or otherwise comment on information about the NDA or related Nintendo businesses. Breach of NDA may result in termination of contract; Nintendo will require the party to either resend or destroy any material (documentation mainly) related to development, and Nintendo may audit the party afterwards to confirm that necessary actions have been taken. Nintendo's general NDA for development defines confidential information as this:

Nintendo Confidential Information includes information provided to you by us, or a third party under a confidentiality obligation to us, in oral, demonstrative, written, graphic or
machine-readable form, relating to our products, services or business. You may use the Nintendo Confidential Information only for the purpose of and in connection with the license granted in Section 4 above.
Certain things in this particular NDA may have changed on Feb. 4, 2016, when a few policies were updated. But this definition I believe is still valid.

yoonshik

I will add...
My bets:

Sega:
- Sonic 25th Anniversary game (both the main console game, and possibly a second more handheld-oriented game by Dimps, the usual)
- Sonic All Stars Racing 2

The game sold half a million copies for Wii U and 3DS alone. Since i don't expect Mario Kart 9 anytime soon, it makes sense for Sega and Nintendo to have a racing game for launch, unless Diddy Kong Racing 2 is in development (which i doubt).

I will add...

The game sold half a million copies for Wii U and 3DS alone. Since i don't expect Mario Kart 9 anytime soon, it makes sense for Sega and Nintendo to have a racing game for launch, unless Diddy Kong Racing 2 is in development (which i doubt).

Oh you mean a port of Transformed? ;)

Think you mean 3. :p

radcliff

My bets:

Sega:

EA (...)
- Madden
- FIFA

All for launch or near.

I agree with most of this. I would subtract Monkey Ball from Sega and maybe add Etrian Odyssey V. For EA, I would add whatever Star Wars game they may be releasing this year. SW games always sold well on Nintendo platforms. So if the system is capable of running the game, I can't think of why EA wouldn't release it on NX.

Neoxon

I'm not sure if Monster Hunter X Ultimate would be ready for launch. Ultimate versions take a while to come out, let alone get localized. And didn't MHX come out not too long ago.

Nothing. That ship has sailed, and it is most likely why Nintendo goes with a shared library here. They can support that with their output, indies, and a few third-party games.
I think they'll get the 3rd party support that back their handhelds once again and if porting between the two systems is easy enough that should translate to console support from them as well. Might just be enough for it, seeing as a lot of people were pretty happy with the 3DS's library. If Nintendo can combine their output (example: If they put out 8 console games and 10 portable games per year this generation, they could put out ~18 games playable on both systems)
I think that should be enough to make consumers happy with a purchase of a Nintendo system this new generation, if Nintendo can secure key 3rd party titles like SE's console RPGs, CoD, Madden, toys to life games, etc then I think they'll do pretty well.

Mr Swine

Banned
Can't Nintendo give out a rough performance baseline on what they want developers to target when developing NX portable games? or would that defeat the NDA they have put up?

Mpl90

^your guess are basically Wii U Launch Redux.

To be honest, it'd have the potential to be better, between Square Enix being on board, Level 5's major titles, Atlus possibly considering the launch window as well (who said Etrian Odyssey V XD ). I'd also dare to say that...well...Wii U's launch lineup wasn't bad at all, honestly: several major games releasing around the time the other consoles' versions released and some exclusives, not just from Nintendo + late ports here and there. 100 times better than 3DS's launch lineup, honestly. Unfortunately, between the price, the unattractive feature (Gamepad), the awful advertising, and too many titles that the general audience didn't consider interesting enough to pick up the console (even if they were good, if not great, like NSMBU), sales numbers were decent/good at launch overall (except UK), but then sales flatlined very, very quickly.

ito007

Part of the same set.
I see. Hmm

I just think it's going to be a really hard sell to people to say, "hey we got this expensive thing to buy, but you won't really get it's full potential if you don't buy this other part of the set that comes out later!" I'm somewhat confident that Nintendo will be smart and find a good way around that, but I also said that they would be with the Wii u, and that didn't turn out well at all.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Early access with 9 months to go until the potential launch means only a handful of games ready for it.

Or they don't need to provide devkits more widely yet, because they plan to release a simple platform with an architecture similar to the other consoles/PC, with fantastic tool support so that third parties can port existing titles rapidly.

I almost wrote that with a straight face.

Then we better brace ourselves for a long wait. 2017 might be generous for a MHXU western release.

Capcom has released a traditional singeplayer MH every single year since 2004 in japan, an NX launch title/ late 2016 title is extremely likely (even if there is a 3DS version).

The gap between 4G Japan and 4Ultimate west was 4 months (and we really don't know if the localization is to blame for the gap, or if the game was strategically "delayed" to launch alongside the new 3DS) .

It's not some out there idea that Capcom will push for a faster localization this time around, they called 4U's launch alongside the new 3DS as one of the reasons why it sold so well. They'll want to repeat that.

atbigelow

Seems obvious the developer mentioned in the GN story isn't one of the big players. Sounds like it's an existing studio that is trying to see what the NX even is. And I think it'd be foolish to think EA and Ubisoft aren't plugged into NX workings.

When it comes to feedback on the NX specs/SDK/etc, we'll see how receptive Nintendo is to developers. And to which ones. They've had a pretty tight-knit relationship with Capcom when it comes to hardware needs.

Mr Swine

Banned
Seems obvious the developer mentioned in the GN story isn't one of the big players. Sounds like it's an existing studio that is trying to see what the NX even is. And I think it'd be foolish to think EA and Ubisoft aren't plugged into NX workings.

When it comes to feedback on the NX specs/SDK/etc, we'll see how receptive Nintendo is to developers. And to which ones. They've had a pretty tight-knit relationship with Capcom when it comes to hardware needs.

EA won't bother to work on the NX after what happened with the Wii U, remember the unprecedented partnership?

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member

The only "small" studio we know that intends to develop for NX is Soul and Vibe Interactive (headed by Peter Anthony Chiodo, designer of Stoked: Big Air, Summer Sports: Paradise Island and many others). Soul and Vibe has licenses to develop for and publish games on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii U and Nintendo 3DS. I do not know if they have also licenses for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, but they have in the past expressed interest in these platforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom