• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pif

Banned
EA won't bother to work on the NX after what happened with the Wii U, remember the unprecedented partnership?
If there is money to be made they will work on it. It may be 3DS or Vita levels of support,but if both consoles run the same games, ignoring such install base is not smart business wise.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
If there is money to be made they will work on it. It may be 3DS or Vita levels of support,but if both consoles run the same games, ignoring such install base is not smart business wise.

To be fair, they gave up on Wii really early and there was a ton of money to be made on that system. Tiger Woods even sold the most on Wii.

Yeah but you know, EA doesn't make games for children so...
lol

atbigelow

EA won't bother to work on the NX after what happened with the Wii U, remember the unprecedented partnership?

EA isn't as silly as people on this forum. If there is a potential market to sell their products, they'll do it. So long as they see the numbers add up to make sense.

And having a devkit doesn't automatically mean they'll make a game. Plenty of devs had Wii U devkits and never made games.

EA did a pretty fantastic job, at least initially, supporting the Wii. They made decent ports of all their sports games and had quite a few great, meaningful exclusives, like SSX Blur, BoomBlox, Need for Speed Nitro, NBA Jam, Dead Space, My Sims, Sim City, etc. (Some of these got ported, yeah.) But EA really did offer something for everyone on the original Wii and most of their games really played to the strengths of the console.

It's a shame some of those were brushed off as "lesser" games because they weren't on teh herdc0r3 HD boxes. Especially SSX Blur,

Seems obvious the developer mentioned in the GN story isn't one of the big players. Sounds like it's an existing studio that is trying to see what the NX even is. And I think it'd be foolish to think EA and Ubisoft aren't plugged into NX workings.

When it comes to feedback on the NX specs/SDK/etc, we'll see how receptive Nintendo is to developers. And to which ones. They've had a pretty tight-knit relationship with Capcom when it comes to hardware needs.
Or, as I said earlier, it could be Nintendo not talking to those devs that didn't support the handheld like EA, activision, and Ubisoft since those would likely not come back around to the handheld this generation

Nintendo made themselves look like fools when they announced those "unprecedented partnerships" with the Wii U announcement. Anybody expecting any kind of third party support especially long term is foolish.

Interesting rumor. Of course, we have no idea what this "graphically demanding PS4 game" is or how far along it is in development. It could be a 2017 title and Nintendo were forced to prioritize dev kits to publishers with launch titles. Anyway, nice to hear about a 2016 launch from another source. And this one seems to be talking about a home console.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Seems obvious the developer mentioned in the GN story isn't one of the big players. Sounds like it's an existing studio that is trying to see what the NX even is. And I think it'd be foolish to think EA and Ubisoft aren't plugged into NX workings.

When it comes to feedback on the NX specs/SDK/etc, we'll see how receptive Nintendo is to developers. And to which ones. They've had a pretty tight-knit relationship with Capcom when it comes to hardware needs.

It's not that obvious at all. I think all the big 3rd party producers will take the wait and see approach with NX. And that's not because there is something against Nintendo, but they wouldn't know if the audience for their games will be there or not. Maybe greenlight some small projects.

Or they don't need to provide devkits more widely yet, because they plan to release a simple platform with an architecture similar to the other consoles/PC, with fantastic tool support so that third parties can port existing titles rapidly.

I almost wrote that with a straight face.

I almost maintained a straight face reading this. But even PS4 and Xbone had devkits, so using a genetic architecture and good tools doesn't necessarily replace that.

Vena

Weird timeline in that rumor

Timeline makes sense, actually. This seems like one of the first legit rumors.

Early access with 9 months to go until the potential launch means only a handful of games ready for it.

Not really. The NX will more than likely work on a much more/as modern standard than/as either of the twins with all of their tool/engine support. Games are built entirely on PCs now-a-days and then ported, and so if the dev kits arrive within the next couple of months, the job would simply be the same as with either of the twins.

Compile, port, optimize.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Timeline makes sense, actually. This seems like one of the first legit rumors.

Not really. The NX will more than likely work on a much more/as modern standard than/as either of the twins with all of their tool/engine support. Games are built entirely on PCs now-a-days and then ported, and so if the dev kits arrive within the next couple of months, the job would simply be the same as with either of the twins.

Compile, port, optimize.

I think that's quite a simplistic view.

Also, we'll see when the main engines will support NX.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
What's simplistic?

And what exactly do you expect the NX to be made out of? British-style Biscuits?

First of all, how much do you estimate compile-port-optimise to take? Also QA-fix-print-distribute?

As I said, we will know how easy it is when the main engines will announce support for it.

I expect NX to be ARM based but I don't set any expectations in regards to the tools offered to the 3rd parties.

Does anyone think they might go back to their Game____ naming convention? It seems like the best move to me, and you could fill in the blank with something that symbolizes its (hopefully) dual platform nature. Maybe like the Game Cross (GX) since Japan likes using Cross so much.

Vena

First of all, how much do you estimate compile-port-optimise to take? Also Q&A-fix-print-distribute?

As I said, we will know how easy it is when the main engines will announce support for it.

I expect NX to be ARM based but I don't set any expectations in regards to the tools offered to the 3rd parties.

Depends on the size and complexity of the title (but most big pubs will cut Q&A short in favor of meeting deadlines, so its a partially loaded question anyway)... I don't actually expect many huge titles at launch from any Western developer, I expect those from the Japanese side who have had dev kits for months over months at this point.

Why wouldn't engines support a hardware that supports them, effectively, out of the gate? Some sort of irrational hatred of money?

Edit: plus you assume that the games to be ported are already done. So late ports again?

No, I expect the game to be getting made. All modern multiplats are just ports from the PC dev build.

In regards to third parties, the market as changed in subtle ways that may change how they ( The likes of EA etc) or nintendo go about business and the prospect of titles appearing on the NX.

Digital store fronts, longer development times for the big AAA titles, How games are released (Episodic, free to play, in for the long haul ( Destiny) i think will all have a bearing on what the likes of EA will do.

In a way the emergent of 'B and C' tier games again may help Nintendo populate their console with games again. You have the likes of EA backing projects like Unravel and the line between Triple A gaming and 'indies' are becoming increasingly blurred as well.

Games like The Witness and the Talos principle at a glance match the production values of the AAA industry. Even No mans sky is being used by sony as a unique selling point for the PS4. The biggest success story of the last generation was minecraft.

I just think the market as changed quite a lot in the last few years and that may open up avenues for nintendo and third parties to work together especially if EA and Ubisoft are using games like Unravel or Child of light to bolster their own release schedules. I think they would be eager to see those smaller games on as many platforms as possible and with that you may see COD and Fifa etc. As long as, like someone posted above, if the nx starts off well, it is flexible enough so that Rockstar could potentially publish a GTA on it, than so be it.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Depends on the size and complexity of the title (but most big pubs will cut Q&A short in favor of meeting deadlines, so its a partially loaded question anyway)... I don't actually expect many huge titles at launch from any Western developer, I expect those from the Japanese side who have had dev kits for months over months at this point.

Why wouldn't engines support a hardware that supports them, effectively, out of the gate? Some sort of irrational hatred of money?

Do you know that NX will support which engines out of the gate?

thefro

Or, as I said earlier, it could be Nintendo not talking to those devs that didn't support the handheld like EA, activision, and Ubisoft since those would likely not come back around to the handheld this generation

They did talk to 3rd party partners at E3 2015, per a Fortune article

Fortune said:
The problem for Nintendo is the NX’s launch is at least a year away—likely more, as the company reportedly just started talking about it with third party partners at this year’s E3. (The reception, say insiders, was positive.)

I'm not sure who that would be if it wasn't Activision, EA, etc. Doubt Fortune was getting that info from Japanese 3rd parties... likely someone high up in a Western 3rd party. John Harker also hinted that Nintendo had been talking before E3.

First of all, how much do you estimate compile-port-optimise to take? Also QA-fix-print-distribute?

Unreal 4 seems to be a lock based on the DQ 11 announcement. Unity/Web Framework as well (hard to see NX not supporting something that's been supported on the Wii U).

The dev tools/environment should be a lot better than Wii U. Recall Shinya Takahashi's quote from Nintendo's last corporate strategy briefing

Takahashi said:
For more than 10 years after joining Nintendo I was engaged in software development under Mr. Miyamoto. And under late Mr. Iwata’s directions, I was making development environments at a department called the Software Development & Design Department. As a result, I always think in terms of what would be the most appropriate development environment not only for Nintendo’s own software but also for third-party developers. As our former president told you before, Nintendo has been internally pushing forward with the project to integrate the development environments in recent years so that it can cater to the needs of the new age. It is by no means an easy task, but I believe that we are now working in the direction of easier software development by means of this integration.

Does anyone think they might go back to their Game____ naming convention? It seems like the best move to me, and you could fill in the blank with something that symbolizes its (hopefully) dual platform nature. Maybe like the Game Cross (GX) since Japan likes using Cross so much.

"Cross" is out of the question due to the religious implications. Nintendo have been very touchy about that sort of thing in the past, although they've lightened up a tad lately w/ "Binding of Isaac".

"Game" could very well be in the name, however. We'll see.

atbigelow

It's not that obvious at all. I think all the big 3rd party producers will take the wait and see approach with NX. And that's not because there is something against Nintendo, but they wouldn't know if the audience for their games will be there or not. Maybe greenlight some small projects.

I almost maintained a straight face reading this. But even PS4 and Xbone had devkits, so using a genetic architecture and good tools doesn't necessarily replace that.

My main point is that EA, Ubisoft, etc. are already in the know about what to expect. As has been talked about before, Nintendo has been meeting with 3rd parties since early last year. They weren't having those talks with Nicalis.

Hermii

Rösti;194495405 said:
Well, a Nintendo Direct broadcast ought to be coming quite soon if they continue with the bimonthly frequency.

A Nintendo direct will probably only be about 3ds/ wii u games.

Mother 3, federation force, paper mario, maybe some zelda tidbits, star fox, smt x fire emblem or something. It actually kind of sucks Mother 3 and paper mario won't be a surprise.

Oddduck

A Nintendo direct will probably only be about 3ds/ wii u games.

Mother 3, federation force, paper mario, maybe some zelda tidbits, star fox, smt x fire emblem or something. It actually kind of sucks Mother 3 and paper mario won't be a surprise.

Well, we still don't know much about Paper Mario.

Nintendo World Report was kind of hinting that Paper Mario might not even be a traditional RPG...or an RPG at all.

And if that ends up being true, then I expect some very negative reactions from the internet, since so many people want another game like Thousand Year Door.

From my conversation with the developer, they are trying to start the process for early access to the dev kit, the issue is getting through all the legal NDA stuff. Nintendo can't just release dev kits to any developer before they reveal the NX, I think it is too much of a lengthy process.

Nintendo key partners (who already have Dev Kits since last year) are most likely: Bandai Namco, Capcom, Square Enix, Sega, Altus, Activision (Skylanders), Warner Bros (Lego).

Makes sense to me to wait for the others to avoid too many leaks. You guys also need to consider Nintendo themselves will most likely have a strong launch line-up of possibly Smash Bros Ultimate, Zelda and a new Mario game.

If it becomes "open season" for all developers to order Dev Kits by May of this year, then the NX will probably be getting a healthy amount of ports from Third Party in the beginning through mid 2017.

From my conversation with the developer, they are trying to start the process for early access to the dev kit, the issue is getting through all the legal NDA stuff. Nintendo can't just release dev kits to any developer before they reveal the NX, I think it is too much of a lengthy process.

Nintendo key partners are most likely: Bandai Namco, Capcom, Square Enix, Sega, Altus, Activision (Skylanders), Warner Bros (Lego).

Makes sense to me to wait for the others to avoid too many leaks. You guys also need to consider Nintendo themselves will most likely have a strong launch line-up of possibly Smash Bros Ultimate, Zelda and a new Mario game.

If it becomes "open season" for all developers to order Dev Kits by May of this year, then the NX will probably be getting a healthy amount of ports from Third Party in the beginning through mid 2017.
So at least the thing should be revealed by may?

radcliff

Keep dreaming.

Nintendo was shopping around F Zero to various 3rd parties. Alex Ward of Criterion even admitted Nintendo approached them in 2012 for an F Zero title but they turned them down because they were working on NFS: MW. It is possible Nintendo also approached other developers. Sumo Digital would make sense given the success of the Sonic Racing. So F Zero is at least something Nintendo was interested in continuing.

Oddduck

I think they should, at the very least, announce NX's official name before E3.

That's what they did with the Wii.

They announced the name "Wii" one or two months before E3, because they didn't want it to distract people from their E3 presentation.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Just a guess, but E3 is in June, so I would hope they are doing something before that time.
Nintendo's Financial Results Briefing for FY 2015 is in early May (or late April). Perhaps they will couple that with a formal announcement of NX, as they did with Wii U in 2011.

Rösti;194499776 said:
Nintendo's Financial Results Briefing for FY 2015 is in early May (or late April). Perhaps they will couple that with a formal announcement of NX, as they did with Wii U in 2011.

Makes sense, the Developer told me that the time frame of the dev kits being made public for all or most developers to order goes in line with a 2016 release when referring to porting games, but the release of the NX will be up to Nintendo to ultimately "just do it" and release the damn thing this year.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Makes sense, the Developer told me that the time frame of the dev kits being made public for all or most developers to order goes in line with a 2016 release when referring to porting games, but the release of the NX will be up to Nintendo to ultimately "just do it" and release the damn thing this year.
I wonder if the pricing of the NX dev kit has changed much from Wii U. A CAT-DEV with a GamePad (DRC-DK) was just above $3000 late last year. A PS4 dev kit was when released at $2500 I believe, and an Xbox One dev kit you can basically get for free depending on the designation of your company (it's cheap anyway).

Peru

I'm as impatient as you guys but just imagine sitting in front of your PC one hour before Nintendo's e3 presentation and basically not knowing anything, waiting to have it all revealed at once. Can any game match that thrill?

Everything I've read about the NX so far just reeks of corporate fanfiction. And considering Nintendo's not going to talk about it for another 2-4 months really makes this thread unnecessary. Nothing new is going to be uncovered between now and April unless there's some idiot breaking his NDA which is just going to get its own thread anyway. You all should save your energy for when you inevitably get mad when Nintendo doesn't make your dream console.

Isn't the new Nintendo Account stuff launching this month? Surely they won't launch this initiative without telling the public how it works and what it does, right? So there MUST be a Direct happening soon.

TheMoon

possibly. The Nintendo NY store is reopening around the same time too.

Guys guys guys ...

they just turned it into the Nintendo NY store ...what if the Y's stem splits and turns into an X and it's suddenly the Nintendo NX store and you can BUY ONE RIGHT NOW HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED THE ALIENS ARE COMING ATLANTIS IS REAL

Guys guys guys ...

they just turned it into the Nintendo NY store ...what if the Y's stem splits and turns into an X and it's suddenly the Nintendo NX store and you can BUY ONE RIGHT NOW HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED THE ALIENS ARE COMING ATLANTIS IS REAL

Wasn't this how the NES launched in the US? I remember something about it only being in New York at first. I could be wrong. lol

"Cross" is out of the question due to the religious implications. Nintendo have been very touchy about that sort of thing in the past, although they've lightened up a tad lately w/ "Binding of Isaac".

"Game" could very well be in the name, however. We'll see.

I'm all in for the Nintendo GameBastard

Banned
Rösti;194489069 said:
Quite standard practice I'd say. Anyone under a Nintendo NDA shall not confirm, deny, defend or otherwise comment on information about the NDA or related Nintendo businesses. Breach of NDA may result in termination of contract; Nintendo will require the party to either resend or destroy any material (documentation mainly) related to development, and Nintendo may audit the party afterwards to confirm that necessary actions have been taken. Nintendo's general NDA for development defines confidential information as this:

Certain things in this particular NDA may have changed on Feb. 4, 2016, when a few policies were updated. But this definition I believe is still valid.
Damn son.

Yet these particular legal ramifications didn't scare people off from leaking the Wii U.

Banned
The difference this time co pared to the Wii U and 3DS launches is Nintendo is going to have its blockbuster IP's available for launch. 3D Mario is on schedule for a holiday 2016 launch and Zelda is most likely being cross ported. Launching a new Nintendo console with Zelda and Mario is insane so the major third parties probably don't need to be there day one but will be there in 2017 and beyond.

You might not get FIFA, Madden or the Assassins Creed collection or Mass Effect at the launch but they may come a few months later.

I think Nintendo learned their lesson not launching the Wii U or 3DS with strong first party titles and letting the third parties have the launch window to themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom