• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

QaaQer

When they say it's a new way to play games or experience games you since it's a gimmick. By waggle or 3D but think of those levels of gimmick.

A truly integrated hh-console-mobile environment would be a new way of playing. But as far as hardware goes post-Iwata, I'm betting on solid, proven, and slightly withered at a good price.

As someone who's never played an RE aside from a demo of Revelations on the 3DS, I'd try getting into the series at the REmake or RE0 to catch up to the lore.
RE0 is bad. Bought it on the Wii after the Gamestop clerk told me it was the remake of the first game.
Haven't played REmake

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
When they say it's a new way to play games or experience games you since it's a gimmick. By waggle or 3D but think of those levels of gimmick.

I can still have a lot of fun with very simple games, everyone does. Wii Sports was a good reminder of that.

So how is the evolution of graphics not a gimmick? The Wii remote simply changed the focal point, but the nature of being is basically the same.

MoonFrog

RE0 is bad. Bought it on the Wii after the Gamestop clerk told me it was the remake of the first game.
Haven't played REmake

REmake is better. RE Zero feels a little uncomfortably between old resident evil and more trigger happy modern resident evil, at least to me. REmake doesn't have this identity crisis.

I don't know if I'd call RE Zero bad though, but it is definitely the worse game of the two imo.

I'm of the opinion that the gimmick is that there is no gimmick. Low price + full retail Nintendo games regularly + cool mobile integration is what they are going to announce.

Hmmm...yeah I could see them going this route and if the most 'gimmicky' thing they've done is scrolling shoulder buttons, I will consider them to have done this (perhaps not purposefully :p).

Nintendo does seem to expect a lot of units to move, if that 20 million figure is at all reliable. Cut that in half and say they are producing both the home and the handheld. That still seems ambitious given the state of 3DS/Wii U and the market they'd presumably be entering (as ~competing with PS4/XBone and ~competing with mobile). Nintendo did make a lot of ballsy Wii U predictions so this could also be one of those. That said, an alternative is that they are banking on a 'must-have' forward facing gimmick to move those units.

That said, perhaps low price really is the key. Perhaps there are many people who would buy a new Nintendo to complement their PC/PS4/XBone or their phone if it was cheaper and Nintendo made more games available on it. I think those consumers would, naturally be slower adopters, but the Wii U/3DS faithful plus those people in the future is perhaps a healthier base than Wii U/3DS faithful plus whoever else those systems managed to catch. Also lower price makes bundle more feasible, which could make cross-compatibility itself more of a 'front-facing' gimmick. I think this strategy would put the onus on strong software hype at launch to get people noticing it and then a stream of desirable content to get people to eventually bite. I wonder if a bargain system can truly compete with a phone or tablet to people who already go that way though. Would they bother to buy both? I wonder if Nintendo can encourage mobile customers to get a console or if they'll just stay on mobile and get their Nintendo fix from the Nintendo mobile games.

Nothing about the NX will be shown or maybe even leaked until the new fiscal year which starts on April 1st. Nintendo might announce the NX press event between April and the yearly financial briefing in May. Perhaps even revealing it's final name. But for pictures of the consoles, specs, games in development, launch date, if it's a console or handheld, etc will be done after that financial briefing and perhaps even E3.

Probanly the official announcement of the NX press reveal which will either be E3 or later that month.

Even if we get a ND before E3 it'll be Wii U and 3DS focused. Perhaps the second half of 2016 games (rumored Paper Mario, Pokémon Z, Pikmin 4, etc.)

Yeah, we better sit down, because we are gonna be waiting for a while.

Banned
A truly integrated hh-console-mobile environment would be a new way of playing. But as far as hardware goes post-Iwata, I'm betting on solid, proven, and slightly withered at a good price.
No it's not. It's a new way of accessing and owning games. We all know Nintendo means new input method's or new visual experiences.

Tatsumi Kimishima said:
According to Kimishima, the new console is "steadily in development" right now but there isn't a true intention to break with the past, neither to "jump on the audience" with something new which requires to be bought in order to have the latest console. It's not a matter of 'latest' nor 'new', it's like NX is going to represent something different from the 3DS and Wii U experiences, "a different way to play with a dedicated machine".
I can still have a lot of fun with very simple games, everyone does. Wii Sports was a good reminder of that.

So how is the evolution of graphics not a gimmick? The Wii remote simply changed the focal point, but the nature of being is basically the same.
Evolution of graphics is not a gimmick, it's an industry standard that comes with more powerful hardware. You're not playing games in new ways, you're just playing prettier games with hopefully better AI and draw distances and number of things going on at the same time on screen.
Yeah, we better sit down, because we are gonna be waiting for a while.
Yup. Close her down boys and girls.

Hermii

uQEG2b3.png

i want to believe

You are missing Takeda in the background.

Banned
You know what I definitely want? Dolby digital support so I can watch Netflix in surround sound instead of stereo. Fucken Nintendo. Pay the licence.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
You know what I definitely want? Dolby digital support so I can watch Netflix in surround sound instead of stereo. Fucken Nintendo. Pay the licence.

That would be an interesting thing to see, if Nintendo goes again with not paying any kind of licences for media or we could get finally a decent media player and blu ray playback (if they still use discs for the console)?

Banned
That would be an interesting thing to see, if Nintendo goes again with not paying any kind of licences for media or we could get finally a decent media player and blu ray playback (if they still use discs for the console)?
If it still uses discs they better have the blu Ray and Dolby licenses otherwise that's just gonna be purposefully incompetent

Neoxon

If it still uses discs they better have the blu Ray and Dolby licenses otherwise that's just gonna be purposefully incompetent
Don't they already have Dolby on the Wii U? Plus most people who want a Blu-Ray player already have one, so adding one to the NX Console is an unnecessary cost (if the NX Console even uses discs).

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Asking for blu ray support from NX in 2016 is like asking for cable box integration from Xbox in 2013.

Was the cable box integration a standard feature on consoles in 2013?

Don't they already have Dolby on the Wii U? Plus most people who want a Blu-Ray player already have one, so adding one to the NX Console is an unnecessary cost (if the NX Console even uses discs).

No, Dolby is not supported on Wii U.

TheMoon

I can save you guys the disappointment: There won't be any Blu-ray/DVD support on NX, regardless of the storage medium of the systems. They're just not gonna do it. Especially now that this becomes more and more insignificant.

Banned

Unless something has changed, no. It supports LCPM.
Dolby support is a must for Netflix and gaming. It's not an expensive licence. Could care less about blu Ray when Netflix is there.

Thraktor

There's literally no reason for Nintendo to license Dolby Digital unless the NX plays DVDs/Blu-Rays. The Wii U already outputs multichannel LPCM, which is part of the HDMI spec, is uncompressed, and which is supported by any AV receiver or surround sound system which has HDMI inputs. In theory they may licence Atmos, as that gives them something they can't get with straightforward LPCM, but I wouldn't bet any money on it.

Edit: The above is about gaming. Fair enough that you might want Dolby for Netflix.

Banned
There's literally no reason for Nintendo to license Dolby Digital unless the NX plays DVDs/Blu-Rays. The Wii U already outputs multichannel LPCM, which is part of the HDMI spec, is uncompressed, and which is supported by any AV receiver or surround sound system which has HDMI inputs. In theory they may licence Atmos, as that gives them something they can't get with straightforward LPCM, but I wouldn't bet any money on it.

Edit: The above is about gaming. Fair enough that you might want Dolby for Netflix.
That edit saved you lol.

I love LPCM because it's uncompressed. But Atmos sounds great and Netflix in stereo is awful in a home theatre.

Brofield

Not sure if this is relevant, but do we have a thread of collected NX rumours?

There was one on GoNintendo about a "graphically intensive" PS4 game currently looking into being ported over, and with the current distribution of early access dev kits and enough NDAs that would cover a small nation in an inch of paperwork, my likely guess is FF7:R. Only thing is I didn't see a thread on this posted, and I wanted to discuss it but I can't decide if it's thread worthy.

TheMoon

Not sure if this is relevant, but do we have a thread of collected NX rumours?

There was one on GoNintendo about a "graphically intensive" PS4 game currently looking into being ported over, and with the current distribution of early access dev kits and enough NDAs that would cover a small nation in an inch of paperwork, my likely guess is FF7:R. Only thing is I didn't see a thread on this posted, and I wanted to discuss it but I can't decide if it's thread worthy.

The rumor was posted here and quickly dismissed. It's not thread worthy. Most if not all NX rumors are complete BS anyway. Don't make threads for this stuff.

Kikorin

I would love if NX will be compatible with 3DS and Wii U games, I can't think how cool would be to have all my 3DS and Wii U games playable on only one console, plus NX and mobile games :0_

I know probably will not be like that, but I want to dream XD

Plus, I'd love to have ported all my themes and stickers from 3DS

I would love if NX will be compatible with 3DS and Wii U games, I can't think how cool would be to have all my 3DS and Wii U games playable on only one console, plus NX and mobile games :0_

I could see one or the other but not both. With the rumors of the handheld version coming first I could see DS/3DS as a possibility.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I somehow fail to see how BC will be possible on NX without damaging the efficiency. Digital only? Is it worthy to make BC available only digital or it would actually create more troubles/negative reactions than the lack of BC all together? Emulated?

If we talk about cartridges for both I guess 3ds compatibility could be on the cards, but would they add an ARM just for that? Use the ARM processor in a downgraded state like Wii on Wii U? Wouldn't this limit somehow the choices for processors?

Hermii

The gamecube was never designed to be forward compatible, yet they shoehorned in backwards compatibility for the last two generations. What some of us hope and think is that with the NX they will leave old tech behind (meaning no wii u bc) and create an architecture from the ground up to be forward compatible so that your nintendo library will not be connected to a particular device from here on, but will follow with your Nintendo account.

Kikorin

About all my recent 3DS games are digital, so I really hope we can finally link our games to Nintendo account in not to far future.

Thraktor

That edit saved you lol.

I love LPCM because it's uncompressed. But Atmos sounds great and Netflix in stereo is awful in a home theatre.

Yeah, I should have read your post properly before replying! The Wii U is far from the only offender in this regard, though. Most smart TVs with ARC only pass through a stereo signal while playing Netflix, despite ARC being designed specifically to send audio to surround sound systems.

Back slightly further on-topic:

I'd say 3DS backwards compatibility on the handheld is quite likely, given that we're expecting the handheld to stick with an ARM CPU. Even if the NX handheld only ends up having one screen, they could still include enough options to make it work, similar to how DS games work on the Wii U. I wouldn't bet on being able to play 3DS games on the home console, though, and playing Wii U games on the handheld is just straight up not happening for a variety of reasons.

Banned
FFVIIR is a possible graphically intensive game for PS4. But to be fair it could be any AAA PS4 game. It could even be a multiplat. Could have been anything. FFXV, FFVIIR, Star Ocean 5, Assassins Creed, Battlefield, etc.

QaaQer

REmake is better. RE Zero feels a little uncomfortably between old resident evil and more trigger happy modern resident evil, at least to me. REmake doesn't have this identity crisis.

I don't know if I'd call RE Zero bad though, but it is definitely the worse game of the two imo.

Hmmm...yeah I could see them going this route and if the most 'gimmicky' thing they've done is scrolling shoulder buttons, I will consider them to have done this (perhaps not purposefully :p).

Nintendo does seem to expect a lot of units to move, if that 20 million figure is at all reliable. Cut that in half and say they are producing both the home and the handheld. That still seems ambitious given the state of 3DS/Wii U and the market they'd presumably be entering (as ~competing with PS4/XBone and ~competing with mobile). Nintendo did make a lot of ballsy Wii U predictions so this could also be one of those. That said, an alternative is that they are banking on a 'must-have' forward facing gimmick to move those units.

That said, perhaps low price really is the key. Perhaps there are many people who would buy a new Nintendo to complement their PC/PS4/XBone or their phone if it was cheaper and Nintendo made more games available on it. I think those consumers would, naturally be slower adopters, but the Wii U/3DS faithful plus those people in the future is perhaps a healthier base than Wii U/3DS faithful plus whoever else those systems managed to catch. Also lower price makes bundle more feasible, which could make cross-compatibility itself more of a 'front-facing' gimmick. I think this strategy would put the onus on strong software hype at launch to get people noticing it and then a stream of desirable content to get people to eventually bite. I wonder if a bargain system can truly compete with a phone or tablet to people who already go that way though. Would they bother to buy both? I wonder if Nintendo can encourage mobile customers to get a console or if they'll just stay on mobile and get their Nintendo fix from the Nintendo mobile games.

Last week while in line Best Buy, I saw an 8-ish year old boy and his father buying a new 3ds. It was like something out of a bullshit commercial. The boy looked up at his dad while clutching the package and said beamingly, "I can't believe I have my own DS." To call it heartwarming would be an understatement. It still makes me feel good thinking about it.

They looked working class and the $200 was probably not insignificant. IMO, Nintendo has to serve these folks first and for most. Adding 3d, freeform display, a 3rd screen, or 10 000 more pixels would not have made that boy's eyes any wider but it may have stopped his dad from being able to afford it.

I don't mean to go all RJ Reynolds because it really was a special moment, but I bet that boy will be a lifelong Nintendo fan and worth many thousands to them. Nintendo makes money, his dad feels like a hero, the boy gets his very own 3ds, the clerk gets some job satisfaction, and an eavesdropping curmudgeon bececomes a tad less curmudgeonly: everyone wins.

.....Hmmm, I think Ill make a thread out of this post. I could do with some positivity today.....

My point is, I think I understand Nintendo better now. Entering an arms race or inflating hardware prices for gimmicks is very risky and I don't see them doing it without an amazing and cheap concept. And unless it can compete with vr for mind share, it won't work. If they can add free form displays or wheel triggers for 1 or 2% extra on the BOM, they will. But having power or a gimmick drive the price up 40%...I don't see it.

We are getting 2 new low end regular-ass game systems, some mobile stuff, and a shiny new club Nintendo over the next 20 months and that is pretty fuccking cool.

Thraktor

I somehow fail to see how BC will be possible on NX without damaging the efficiency. Digital only? Is it worthy to make BC available only digital or it would actually create more troubles/negative reactions than the lack of BC all together? Emulated?

If we talk about cartridges for both I guess 3ds compatibility could be on the cards, but would they add an ARM just for that? Use the ARM processor in a downgraded state like Wii on Wii U? Wouldn't this limit somehow the choices for processors?

The NX home console is fully expected to use an ARM CPU anyway, as there aren't really any suitable Power ISA cores anymore, and modern ARM cores (i.e. A72) are very competitively in performance with the likes of the Jaguar cores used in PS4/XBO. In addition, it would simplify cross-platform development, which is something Nintendo have talked about.

However, I don't expect the NX home console to play 3DS games for the same reason I don't expect it to play Wii U games; I don't believe it's going to have a screen in the controller. If Nintendo is truly trying to set up NX as a long-term hardware-independent ecosystem, then putting a screen in the controller means every future home NX has to have a screen in the controller, which is something they may end up regretting in the future.

Besides, if they want to offer dual-screen gameplay on the home NX, they can just use the handheld for that purpose. As they're both being designed by the same team, they can use the same low-latency point-to-point streaming technology they designed for the Wii U gamepad and leave it there as an option for games to use without pushing up the home console price or forcing every future Nintendo console to have a screen in the controller.

About all my recent 3DS games are digital, so I really hope we can finally link our games to Nintendo account in not to far future.

Digital purchases are already linked to your Nintendo Network ID (which is what allows you, for example, to buy DLC for both Wii U and 3DS versions of Smash Bros in a single purchase). The issue is that Nintendo doesn't yet allow you to redownload those games on a different system.

The gamecube was never designed to be forward compatible, yet they shoehorned in backwards compatibility for the last two generations. What some of us hope and think is that with the NX they will leave old tech behind (meaning no wii u bc) and create an architecture from the ground up to be forward compatible so that your nintendo library will not be connected to a particular device from here on, but will follow with your Nintendo account.

I woukd imagine the new system would be powerful enough to emulate everything up to Wii and just port the best titles on WiiU

I'm hoping Nintendo cuts costs this time around. I love their innovations in hardware but 3D and the gamepad were very expensive "gimmicks" which held back the hardware for both and kept up the price.
The 2DS shows the internals of the OG 3DS could be sold at under $100. And I imagine the Wii U could've been ~$100 cheaper if it didn't include a gamepad. Either that or more powerful.
Wii and DS worked because they were cheap and innovative. For consumers, the new systems did feel cheap but it certainly wasn't priced accordingly.
The 3DS essentially has 3 screens and the resolution of each is awful. Id be ok with one screen a much better resolution.
As for the console, I don't think they can afford another gamepad unless they can make it very cheap or they are willing to take a substantial loss on it.
I wouldn't want to lose the benefits of dual screens, but I think offering the option to those that are willing to invest on both systems is the best way to approach it.
Would add a nice selling point to the NX family of systems as well. Buy an NX game, play it on both NX systems with no extra charge. Have both NX systems and use the handheld as a special controller (you also wouldn't have to spend $50 on a second controller for multiplayer)
I wonder if Nintendo realizes that this is likely the issue and not that they didn't use the gamepad enough.
Can't try and go for the mass market with the cheapest price when you're charging so much for a system people don't find value in.
Also, they need to control their marketing and the image of the system early on. A ton of negative press and silence from Nintendo doomed the Wii u from the start
I woukd imagine the new system would be powerful enough to emulate everything up to Wii and just port the best titles on WiiU
Would be interesting. I wonder if it's possible to emulate Wii, GCN, and 3DS on the console. Don't think it would be viable on the portable, but with future revisions it might be possible on the portable as well.
Would be a great way to add value to the NX being able to play the entire Nintendo library eventually.
Remastering the key Wii U titles and making the games of the previous generation available.
If they can uprez GCN, Wii, and 3DS games like the Ps2 emulation on ps4 I think a lot of people would be more than willing to double dip.

AzaK

I'm hoping Nintendo cuts costs this time around. I love their innovations in hardware but 3D and the gamepad were very expensive "gimmicks" which held back the hardware for both and kept up the price.
The 2DS shows the internals of the OG 3DS could be sold at under $100. And I imagine the Wii U could've been ~$100 cheaper if it didn't include a gamepad. Either that or more powerful.

I don't want them to cut costs. I'm happy to pay $US300 for a console so long as the value is there and by that I typically mean POWA.

Alternatively, what I really want is it to be purchasable for $199 with power levels about XBO or even a bit less. Then allow me to throw another $100 or $100x2 at it and upgrade the thing to a beast if and when I want.

Banned
I don't want them to cut costs. I'm happy to pay $US300 for a console so long as the value is there and by that I typically mean POWA.

Alternatively, what I really want is it to be purchasable for $199 with power levels about XBO or even a bit less. Then allow me to throw another $100 or $100x2 at it and upgrade the thing to a beast if and when I want.
For sure. The Wii and Wii U could have been powerhouses. The Wii's gimmick was cheap. Making it close to an Xbox 360 in power and making it HD for $399 or so would have been amazing. Third parties wouldn't have had to skip it because it couldn't run Unreal Engine 3.

The gamepad taken out for standard controller probably would have left Nintendo $150-200 to spend on more powerful GPU, CPU and more memory.

Whatever gimmick the NX uses it can't be sacrificed for power. It has to have power and the gimmick. Don't intentionally gimp it. Based off the rumours it seems they won't thIs time.

By cutting costs I didn't mean the hardware but the extras that dragged down the 3DS and Wii U (3D and gamepad) which costs a lot

Sterok

Friendly reminder that the 3D forced Nintendo to upgrade the specs of the 3DS. You might be wanting 3D to stay if you want a strong portable.

Friendly reminder that the 3D forced Nintendo to upgrade the specs of the 3DS. You might be wanting 3D to stay if you want a strong portable.

Eh, if the extra power is mostly used by games to handle processing the 3D then it's not really that much of an advantage tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom