• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peterc

If this thread is going to keep on jumping at jokes and fan concepts and shouting fake, it's going to get really tedious.

It keeps the thread alive.

It would be nice if important information can be added to the op post automatically and that this post keep sticked at the top on every page

orioto

Good Art™
If this thread is going to keep on jumping at jokes and fan concepts and shouting fake, it's going to get really tedious.

How fun if at some point in the torrent of lame fakes and rumors there is a real leak and it's so pathetic that everyone don't even take it seriously for one second.

Anyway i like what Shin'en says about Wave race 64. That's my fav racer, one of my fav game of all time. (With also Unirally that wasn't so far conceptually actually!)

It's pretty clear that Wave race is THE perfect showcase to impress with a console's tech. Even if it's not that powerfull, there is no real competition (the rare game on XBO was super pretty but nothing dynamic it was just nice reflection everywhere).

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
Did anybody seen this video?

2016-02-14_1022.png

2016-02-14_1023.png

2016-02-14_1023.png

https://youtu.be/p0a6H_7_A5o

source: http://dqtechnews.com/2015/12/16/rumor-private-nx-concept-reveal-footage-leaked-video/

NX is short for Nintendo Cross? I don't like it. Nintendo X would be better.

The NX is a console that you can stream games to your smartphone/tablet/gamepad. Unless I can just play the game using the standard controller then I'm out. I'm not using a gamepad and most certaintly will not be using my smartphone as a controller/second screen.

Peterc

The NX is a console that you can stream games to your smartphone/tablet/gamepad. Unless I can just play the game using the standard controller then I'm out. I'm not using a gamepad and most certaintly will not be using my smartphone as a controller/second screen.

Good news for you that cross is fake

Kurt

Dont mind that. Its a fanmade video ofcourse. Anyway, the nx will be something different. Crossplay is already confirmed in some way. But as they said, they are hidding something big from the compatitors. What could it be... something new experience that they arz going to deliver

I also doubt Nintendo would choose a name for their console with such potential religious connotations. Plus the jokes we would get about them crucifying themselves if it ended up failing.

TheMoon

The most annoying thing about these fake leaks or even shitty leaks is that we spend about 3-5 pages per fake until the original quote falls back far enough so we don't need to explain to every newcomer again that it's an obvious fake.

Banned
I can see the marketing now.

God

Jesus

Jesus died on the cross

Cross

Nintendo Cross

Nintendo is Jesus

*logo is a literal cross with Jesus on it*

Outrage ensues

Nintendo is constantly in the media

Hipsters buy it because it goes against society

Nintendo takes over the world

I played a top secret NX prototype the other day and it was actually pretty awesome. I took a picture of it:
That's pretty much what I want the handheld to be but with scrollable shoulder buttons plus regular shoulder buttons and clickable sticks. The vita form factor is great.

Also, Shin'en are like the crytek of indies. They make gorgeous games that push hardware to its limits but the games themselves are pretty bland or leave much to be desired.

I played a top secret NX prototype the other day and it was actually pretty awesome. I took a picture of it:

God willing the NX will be the Vita successor that Sony wouldnt make

Bless you Vita. You amazing little miracle. 2016 and you still effing deliver the goods

Nintendo.... Do for your son what Sony never did

Sordid imaginations. You know just how GameFreak added imaginary code to prevent you from playing Pokemon on your Super Game Boy or Game Boy Player.
I think that's mostly Nexeon that kept repeating it in NX threads.
Any excuse was likely made in order to not make a mainline console game exclusively in the past, but if they can do it effortlessly I doubt they'd say no.

So, the Nintendo 3DS SoC is 42.24mm^2 on 45nm. That should easily fit into whatever processor Nintendo cook up for NX. However, let's just hypothesize that Nintendo include a 5" capacitive touch panel display in the NX handheld. How exactly would BC work? Seems to me that the display area, while possibly manageable (see DS VC on Wii U), would be somewhat small and then to switch touch technologies on top of that? Hmmm.

k4n3

Banned
if the NX is a new console that also plays wii-u games im buying one if its some gimmick streaming device with a ipad for a controller hard pass

Banned
What if Nintendo is the first to roll out a zen APU? With less cores and clock speeds of course. Kidding. It's a shame it's not due till late 2016 and APU's in Q1 2017.

Excavator it is.

Peru

A Nintendo version of the Vita would basically be ideal for me too, as a portable gamer.

newsflash: nintendo is #teambuttons. never gonna happen.

Hopefully! People sure have been speculating a lot about virtual buttons after that one patent.

So, the Nintendo 3DS SoC is 42.24mm^2 on 45nm. That should easily fit into whatever processor Nintendo cook up for NX. However, let's just hypothesize that Nintendo include a 5" capacitive touch panel display in the NX handheld. How exactly would BC work? Seems to me that the display area, while possibly manageable (see DS VC on Wii U), would be somewhat small and then to switch touch technologies on top of that? Hmmm.

They would have to offer different display modes like the wii u DS emu. I don't think a 7.4 inch screen is completey out of the question though (roughly size of a closed 3dsxl ) that would give a standard 3ds display at the same size as the og 3ds/2ds.

TheMoon

A Nintendo version of the Vita would basically be ideal for me too, as a portable gamer.

Hopefully! People sure have been speculating a lot about virtual buttons after that one patent.

Cocaine is one hell of a drug. Virtual buttons is just not gonna happen with them. No need to even entertain the thought. ^^

What if there is absolutely no intention of any sort of shared library?

Maybe the consolidated development teams just means "Here's Mario Kart 9 for NX handheld and Mario Kart 9 for console!"

Just like smash bros, but it would be significantly easier to develop both titles simultaneously.
They could very well do something like Smash but with more similarities. Some modes that wouldn't work on the handheld like the 8 player mode or some graphically intensive stages.
Just depends on what amount of effort they want to put it.
I wonder if they'll make it very much like iOS where if there's no HD version it'll still run on the console but at native res upscaled for those that don't want to put in the extra effort.

It would be nice if important information can be added to the op post automatically and that this post keep sticked at the top on every page
Keeping the thread alive is what got the other NX threads locked, btw. We don't need 20 posts commenting on an obviously fake NX "leak"

Peterc

Thats what I expect and for the next handheld.

But looking at the history of handheld, Gamegear and both Sony handhelds failed in sales.
So i'm wonder why. Is it the price?

Thraktor

Thanks for posting this, I've been curious about the 3DS SoC for a while, both out of curiosity on the die size, but also for the die markings (or lack thereof). Given that the package only lists Nintendo and ARM, and the die itself doesn't have any other design markings, it seems safe to say that Nintendo did the die layout entirely in-house. And if they did it for the 3DS, they can do it for the NX handheld, which means they could license the A53 from ARM and then a synthesisable GPU (Mali, PowerVR, etc.) and layout the die in-house, without having to go through an SoC vendor like Qualcomm. That being the case, I would now limit the possibilities for the handheld SoC to either AMD or an in-house design.

That should easily fit into whatever processor Nintendo cook up for NX. However, let's just hypothesize that Nintendo include a 5" capacitive touch panel display in the NX handheld. How exactly would BC work? Seems to me that the display area, while possibly manageable (see DS VC on Wii U), would be somewhat small and then to switch touch technologies on top of that? Hmmm.

Personally I don't think they'll need to incorporate much (if any) dedicated hardware on the SoC to provide 3DS BC. The (still admittedly hypothetical) A53's will run ARMv6 code in 32-bit mode, and the PICA200 is largely fixed-function, and most (if not all) API calls should be straight-forward enough to implement on a modern (and much more powerful) fully programmable GPU. Maybe there are a couple of obscure GPU functions that they might need to retain fixed-function units to support, but I can't imagine it taking more than a relatively trivial amount of die space.

On the capacitive vs resistive touch screens side of thing, that should be invisible to software, so unless Nintendo implemented the 3DS touchscreen API in a particularly foolish manner, it shouldn't be an issue (although they will need to provide a capacitive stylus for games than require more precise input).

bryanee

lol oh man its not a new console speculation thread without off screen videos filmed at an angle. One of the better ones that.

Thanks for posting this, I've been curious about the 3DS SoC for a while, both out of curiosity on the die size, but also for the die markings (or lack thereof). Given that the package only lists Nintendo and ARM, and the die itself doesn't have any other design markings, it seems safe to say that Nintendo did the die layout entirely in-house. And if they did it for the 3DS, they can do it for the NX handheld, which means they could license the A53 from ARM and then a synthesisable GPU (Mali, PowerVR, etc.) and layout the die in-house, without having to go through an SoC vendor like Qualcomm. That being the case, I would now limit the possibilities for the handheld SoC to either AMD or an in-house design.

Personally I don't think they'll need to incorporate much (if any) dedicated hardware on the SoC to provide 3DS BC. The (still admittedly hypothetical) A53's will run ARMv6 code in 32-bit mode, and the PICA200 is largely fixed-function, and most (if not all) API calls should be straight-forward enough to implement on a modern (and much more powerful) fully programmable GPU. Maybe there are a couple of obscure GPU functions that they might need to retain fixed-function units to support, but I can't imagine it taking more than a relatively trivial amount of die space.

On the capacitive vs resistive touch screens side of thing, that should be invisible to software, so unless Nintendo implemented the 3DS touchscreen API in a particularly foolish manner, it shouldn't be an issue (although they will need to provide a capacitive stylus for games than require more precise input).

Eh, in-house design basically sounds like "it's anything but AMD, except it's made by Nintendo" :p
They could've licensed any design :p

Thraktor

Eh, in-house design basically sounds like "it's anything but AMD, except it's made by Nintendo" :p
They could've licensed any design :p

Precisely, but a lot of people have been saying that they'll use a Qualcomm chip, or "why don't they use Mediatek?", etc. and my point is that they obviously don't need to. If they can do the layout in house there's no reason to pay some other company to do it for them.

Hermii

Which is why this could be the best E3 hype train of all time. The actual product can't match this frenzy.
Honestly the only expectation I have is that it's a handheld and a console sku that's easy to port between and has some Nintendo like control innovation/ gimmick.

If it's Xbox one like performance it wouldn't surprise me. If it's slightly above wii u it wouldn't surprise me that much either. If its significantly above current consoles it would surprise me a lot.

They would have to offer different display modes like the wii u DS emu. I don't think a 7.4 inch screen is completey out of the question though (roughly size of a closed 3dsxl ) that would give a standard 3ds display at the same size as the og 3ds/2ds.

Yeah, I originally speculated the HH might be more of a mini tablet, as I couldn't picture AMD squeezing their SoCs into a traditional HH form factor. Now, largely thanks to the IHS info, I'm thinking it will be a smaller form factor. Also, since the Free Form patent seems to be concerned with the size of the device, I think that initially they will opt for a smaller device. I can definitely see a tablet coming at some point in the future, however.

Thats what I expect and for the next handheld.

But looking at the history of handheld, Gamegear and both Sony handhelds failed in sales.
So i'm wonder why. Is it the price?

Actually, PSP (largely thanks to Monster Hunter) sold ~82 million units. Hardly a failure and more than 3DS will likely sell in its lifetime.

Yeah, I was really thinking about the on-chip SRAM. Even if Nintendo don't go with a split pool this time, I figure they may want at least a small amount to play around with and/or to use for 3DS BC. There has to be SRAM which is denser than the 32 MB on the Xbone SoC, and I think MS even has 10 MB or so of denser stuff on there between the Jaguar cores.

Don't know if you saw this, but here's the 3DS SoC for reference:

Pokemaniac

This thread is on thin ice as it is. I'm honestly pretty surprised the mods have left it open this long. I'd rather its death not be needlessly hastened.

I think the biggest giveaway is '8 GiB Memory'. What's that even supposed to mean?

Gibi is the prefix you're supposed to use when using the power of 2 version of Giga. It's uncommon, but certainly not unheard of, for someone to actually use it.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
HAHAHAHAHA - true. Although I won't be buying anything Nintendo day 1 anymore until I'm comfortable with ongoing Western third party support. The SCD patent just excites me as a geek who loves this sort of stuff.

dont want to be harsh but western third party support will never be a solid form point for a Nintendo console anymore, neither home nor portable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom