• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which engine will dominate next-gen?

I'm honestly not sure one engine will dominate next-gen, given that both UE3 and CE3 are being heavily prepped AND promoted. If one of those DOES dominate, it'll be UE3 for familiarity's sake, but I could see next-gen being more diverse than before now that everyone recognizes how insanely profitable engine licensing fees can be.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Blizzard said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the hair a proprietary modification made by the studio that developed Alice?
It seems you are correct.

People got confused because they locked those features to NVidia cards on PC.

I hope Witcher 2's TSOOD engine catches like wildfire in the realm of RPG development.

You'd hope that, but the screenshot you provided said it was suited to non-linear RPGs. So no modern developers are going to have a need for it.

beril

RustyNails said:
I hope Witcher 2's TSOOD engine catches like wildfire in the realm of RPG development. It's insane. Insanely good that is. Incredible number of NPCs on screen including huge battles, decals, props, animations and other things going on. No two NPCs look alike (different facial hair/clothes) too. Best of all, simply the best lighting system in any game I've played.

Yet the hair looks worse than FFX on PS2...

To be fair that's probably something we'll see more and more of as games move over to deferred rendering. Alpha has always been a bitch and it's even more so with a deferred engine, but without it, hair will always looks incredibly crappy.

CatPee

I kinda wish the Naughty Dog Engine (4.0 by next gen, I'd assume) could be licensed.

Realistically though, I'd say probably UE3/4. That shit needs to be further optimized though. I'd like my textures instantly, not half an hour later. Also, less burly dudebros and better textures when viewed up close.

Metroid-Squadron said:
That has to be a joke. Their HDR implementation is so bad it's completely unacceptable for a high end PC game.
I dunno. I find the sunrise and sunset rays shimmering through tree branches to be incredibly well implemented. It's like CDPR had a vision of how art in Witcher 2 should look, and TSOOD engine made their vision into reality.

someguyinahat said:
You'd hope that, but the screenshot you provided said it was suited to non-linear RPGs. So no modern developers are going to have a need for it.
Which will be a problem for linear RPG developers. They have to realize sooner than later that non-linear RPGs are the way to go. Even Square realized this and started making FF 13-2, which is supposed to be non-linear and with moral choices of sort.
beril said:
Yet the hair looks worse than FFX on PS2...

To be fair that's probably something we'll see more and more of as games move over to deferred rendering. Alpha has always been a bitch and it's even more so with a deferred engine, but without it, hair will always looks incredibly crappy.
Yeah hair is a bit lacking in the TSOOD engine. But that's hardly the number 1 concern plaguing WRPGs though.

Weenerz

Banned
Valve has proved that you don't need a new next-gen engine to make an amazing game (Portal 2).

All they need to upgrade is the loading time between maps and it would be perfect.

Blizzard

Banned
Nirolak said:
It seems you are correct.

People got confused because they locked those features to NVidia cards on PC.
Which features? I could have sworn people also said the hair worked fine on ATI cards with PhysX set to low. You can also use PhysX stuff using the automatic software emulation layer, it's just slow if many effects are used.

*edit* Found a quote.
Tokubetsu said:
Hair and dress stuff still run fine on AMD (4870s here). You're basically missing extra particles from explosions, ground hits etc along with stuff like smoke and the butterfly effect.

ymmv

Banned
All I hope is that next gen consoles from Sony and MS build upon the current PS3/360 hardware so developers don't have to build everything from scratch. That way devs with their own custom engine can continue building on that foundation instead of having to do everything from scratch, because that's when management starts to look at UE3/UE4 to save time and money.

I hated how unoptimized and samey UE3 games looked in the early years of this gen and I still haven't forgiven Epic for that.

CatPee said:
I kinda wish the Naughty Dog Engine (4.0 by next gen, I'd assume) could be licensed.
It certainly has proven its worth in very linear scripted games, but as a general purpose engine it would probably not fare so well.

RustyNails said:
I dunno. I find the sunrise and sunset rays shimmering through tree branches to be incredibly well implemented. It's like CDPR had a vision of how art in Witcher 2 should look, and TSOOD engine made their vision into reality.

1. The sun rays are a cheap post process effect, the sun has to be on the screen for them to show up.

2. Oversaturated, exaggerated bloom is the sure tell sign of bad HDR.

http://www.ripten.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/witcher2-2011-04-15-02-27-29-23.jpg

StuBurns

Banned
NEO0MJ said:
This is what I'm expecting. Would this be cheaper in the long run?
It'd be a lot cheaper, but there would be certain growing pains getting the staff all used to the tools, and it'd make moving publishers more difficult for developers.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
There needs to be a high end PC engine already that can be used across every genre out there

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I don't have any problems with Unreal Engine 3, it's is pretty good engine and work great on consoles ( unlike CE3 so far - Crysis 2 sub HD+poor framerate) and it look like next gen console will put it on mind too ( Wii U),so I don't see it going anywhere anytime soon, and game on it can look different on it and not just the infamous gears look (games like Mass Effect , Shadow Complex,Mirror's Edge, Alice).

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Source Engine 2 would rock socks but since that's not happening, Frostbite 2.0 has a very large advantage in terms of quality

Lesiroth

Totobeni said:
I don't have any problems with Unreal Engine 3, it's is pretty good engine and work great on consoles ( unlike CE3 so far - Crysis 2 sub HD+poor framerate) and it look like next gen console will put it on mind too ( Wii U),so I don't see it going anywhere anytime soon, and game on it can look different on it and not just the infamous gears look (games like Mass Effect , Shadow Complex,Mirror's Edge, Alice).
Just wondering, why claim the sub-HD as a negative for CE3 while most games this gen aren't exactly sporting rather high resolutions?

And I wouldn't be so sure UE3 will continue to dominate next gen. RenderWare was well entrenched last gen and look where it is now. New generation, new hardware, new engines I suppose.

M3d10n

Nirolak said:
Ugh, alpha-tested hair.

Nirolak said:
It was still the best example I could think of. :p

PhysX is an integrated partner though, so it's available to all licensees.
The problem isn't physics, it's blending and aliasing. Alpha-test is horrible for hair: pixels are either fully opaque of fully transparent and are aliased to hell since MSAA doesn't work on them. This is the kind of stuff that needs alpha blending to look right, but having lots of alpha-blending triangles close to each other is the way for tons of visual glitches. Sorting individual triangles it far too expensive and still cannot avoid glitches.

SE and other Japanese devs (and Korean as well) developed many techniques for doing alpha-blended hair. But since these "techniques" go completely against the typical Western engine design philosophies, Western devs avoided them for years.

But it seems the Epic finally gave in and implemented the workarounds in the latest UE3 (or they got it from a Korean UE3 dev), even the original Gears cast has alpha-blended hair and beards in Gears 3:
image_gears_of_war_3-1sc8n.jpg

lordmrw

Teetris said:
There needs to be a high end PC engine already that can be used across every genre out there

Technically you can adapt nearly any engine available to whatever game you want to make. It boils down to whether or not its worth the amount of effort to reconfigure it to your needs or simply go with something else more suitable.

Lesiroth said:
Just wondering, why claim the sub-HD as a negative for CE3 while most games this gen aren't exactly sporting rather high resolutions?
Not to mention that the engine CAN run at 720p and stable 30fps on console. It's Crysis 2 that couldn't.

Don't confuse a game with an engine.

M3d10n said:
The problem isn't physics, it's blending and aliasing.
And shading. Anisotropic specular is a must for realistic hair rendering.

M3d10n

Metroid-Squadron said:
Not to mention that the engine CAN run at 720p and stable 30fps on console. It's Crysis 2 that couldn't.

Don't confuse a game with an engine.

And shading. Anisotropic specular is a must for realistic hair rendering.
That seems to be in UE3 now too. Not perfect, but serviceable enough IMO.

Cwarrior said:
This

am going to say your going to see even more UE3 games next gen.
I have played some awesome games with the UE engine.
Hope they can refine it some more, but i don't get that hate towards it.
And not all UE games look alike.

BlackDove

Banned
Nirolak said:
It's alive again actually. Gamebase bought the corpse and brought it back: http://www.gamebryo.com/en/About/

Catherine, El Shaddai, and Rocksmith are three titles that have used it recently.

Skyrim as well.

I'm fully convinced they're lying through their teeth with the new name.

It looks exactly what a Gamebryo side code branch would look like. They went in one direction for Fallout, and this is simply another, earlier in the codebase.

Since Gamebryo is a licensed product, I'm rather certain they can't slap a new name on the old pile of dog shit, but the more convincing theory I have is that since Bethesda learned mainly about engines from Gamebryo, it's not surprising the new one implements the same strategies Gamebryo does, and thus, looks like it works in exactly the same manner, with a few fixes here and there.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
I honestly think BF3 looks better than the Samaritan tech demo. Too bad EA aren't licensing that shit like they did with Renderware.

Actually EA pretty much killed Renderware when they bought it. I think they still technically licensed it, but it wasn't worth anything anymore. I was working on a game using it at the time... when it became obvious that they weren't going to support us since EA owned them we ditched Renderware and wrote our own engine in-house. But not every place had the ability to do that.

EA didn't really even end up using Renderware, they just pretty much killed it for no reason. I don't think that was their original intent, but I wish they hadn't. It was a huge help for the mid-budget market which has pretty much disappeared this gen on Xbox and PS3. I kind of wonder if we'd be looking at a totally different market situation on consoles if Renderware had survived this generation.

burgerdog

RustyNails said:
No two NPCs look alike (different facial hair/clothes) too.

Honest question. Do you seriously think that other engines can't do this? It's up to the artists/dev if they want to put in the time to make every npc unique. By the way, Witcher 2 has quite a few npcs that share the same face model.

n0n44m

I hope it will be an engine with dx11/64bit support ... Frostbite 2.0 looking good I guess?

Samaritan demo was also dx11 ... time for Crytek to step up their game IMHO (even though I'm currently going through Crysis2 SP and it looks really good, but dx11 should make an engine more efficient as well on modern hardware imho)

edit: and then there's Unigine but they've got only 1 game coming :p

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
I hope Capcom gets smart and translate MT Framework for western devs

Its out of the very very very few Engines this gen that not only looks pretty but does 60FPS on consoles.

Weenerz said:
Valve has proved that you don't need a new next-gen engine to make an amazing game (Portal 2).

All they need to upgrade is the loading time between maps and it would be perfect.

to be fair, portal 2 has its own minimalistic style so I don't think it would fit into more machist games

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Funny how EA bought up Criterion for their engine last gen and now Criterion are leaning on DICE's engine.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
D2M15 said:
Funny how EA bought up Criterion for their engine last gen and now Criterion are leaning on DICE's engine.
Criterion is using Chameleon actually. Black Box is the one using Frostbite.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
I honestly think BF3 looks better than the Samaritan tech demo. Too bad EA aren't licensing that shit like they did with Renderware.

I think the samiritan demo looks much more impressive...higher detail, better DOF, more sophisticated lighting, more complex geometry...honestly, it approximated high end CG pretty well.

However, until I can see a game looking like that BF3 obviously gets the nod

Top Bottom