• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which engine will dominate next-gen?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
SneakyStephan said:
Bulletstorm did it, mass effect does it, like all ue3 games do it. (the 2d backgrounds).

I hope you understand that it's stupid to build the city or at least the part that is visible for a demo that takes place in one street.

Also Bulletstorm had sprawling vistas which weren't 2d backgrounds.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
RustyNails said:
http://i.imgur.com/KT0QU.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Idk man, for trying to show off the lighting and the impressiveness of the engine. That shot doesnt do much for me.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
BY2K said:
My guess is it's gonna be between Frostbite 2, CryEngine 3 and Unreal Engine 4.

Unless Valve gives a major boost to the Source Engine, I don't see Source compete.

Valve have around three-dozen people working on updating the Source toolset and it will result in a split code base, so this "new" Source engine will form the technological basis of their future games, while their older games will be stuck on the Orange Box or perhaps the Portal 2 version of the engine (the latter is entirely dependant upon the roll-out of another Source-wide update). However, Gabe has said that licensing Source is something they don't actively pursue.

There will not be a Source 2.0 or whatever unless Valve build another engine from the ground-up. That's why Gabe said earlier in the year that there are 'no plans for Source 2.0'.

The answer is :
Wait for it..
Wait for it....
Wait for it......
Wait for it........
Wait for it..........
Wait for it............
Wait for it..............
Wait for it................

There it is!
Unreal Engine

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
D2M15 said:
Funny how EA bought up Criterion for their engine last gen and now Criterion are leaning on DICE's engine.

What? Lies!
Criterion arent using Frostbite?
Criterion are using an updated version of the same engine theyve been using since forever
I believe it was only named during NFS:HP development.

Black Box who are developing NFS:TR are using DICEs engine.

SneakyStephan said:
Oh and I forgot, lol@ that 2D background featuring the capitol etc in samaritan demo-snip-then have 2d skybox and backgrounds like it's 1999 and we are watching half life 1.

What games do you play that dont have 2D backgrounds in some fashion?
Maybe im stuck in 1999?

On Topic

Frostbite is for internal use only, so unless EA publishes has more games than all the other developers put together theres 0% chances of Frostbite being the most popular.

UE3- UE4
CE3 - CE3.x

Are the only real players in the game of most popular engine right now.

I vote UE 3 - 4 will be most popular engine next gen.

Mik2121

shuyin_ said:
That sucks... i just searched what engine Brink and Prey 2 use... they both use id Tech 4, Doom 3's engine... lol
AFAIK, they have modified that engine to hell and back. Same think Treyarch and Infinity Ward have been doing. Just because the base is an old engine, it doesn't mean it can't look much better with some fixes.
Hell, the Unreal Engine went from this (1998):

Unreal-1-Epic-14.jpg

To this (1999):

UT99_1.jpg

To this (2003):

Unreal2_Shot1.jpg

To this (2003):

Unreal-Tournament-2003-Digital-Extremes-Bonus-Pack.jpg

To this (2007):

UT3_11.jpg

To this (2011):

silverback.jpg

To this: (2011 but realistically feasible by very late 2012 I guess):

Samaritan_PhysX_3.jpg

(not the best pic, but you know what I'm talking about).

Personally can't wait for whatever we might be getting even 2 years from now :D

As for it being very expensive.. the stuff you see in the 2007 pic (UT3) was probably as expensive to make as it's now the 2011 stuff, and 2011 looks leaps better. Software and hardware improves, helping artist get their results faster. And things will keep becoming easier to make in the future too, so things will just keep improving (plus, many things that makes games look better like higher resolution, antialiasing, better lighting, etc..) just require more powerful hardware, not hundreds of hours spent on assets :p They only need to be developed once, and that's it.

I agree, I believe Unreal Engine 3 kind of has the clear lead at the moment. Additionally, as more and more developers continue to learn and use the toolset it will grow even more. The documentation is very good, and the community supported tutorials are outstanding, although lacking in certain areas (UnrealScript in particular). The best part is that you can leave a question on the forums and nearly be certain that you'll receive a constructive response in a short period of time.

I think CryEngine looks beautiful, and some parts of it are a bit more advanced than UDK in certain areas (their version of Kismet and materials comes to mind). Furthermore, it has had major improvements over the previous iteration which powered Crysis, and most importantly, it has been optimized to work on a multitude of systems, as we saw Crysis 2 display with the consoles. My favorite feature of the engine is the ability to edit levels on the fly using the PC, while having someone move their pawn on screen using another console or the PC. This saves so much time from having to constantly rebuild levels each time you add some sort of lighting or static mesh.

Coming from someone who uses UDK to develop titles, it's only a matter of time before CryEngine begins to catch on more. Ultimately, I believe Unreal Engine 3 has the clear lead for at least the foreseeable future.

shuyin_

Banned
@Mik2121:

err, it's not the same thing. You posted screenshots of different versions of the Unreal Engine, not modifications of the same version. I don't know what you were trying to prove.

Blizzard

Banned
SneakyStephan said:
Yes, because it is a laborious pain in the ass to use the engine and place lights and align everything, and it's easy to just copy paste meshes + groups of lights and put them all over the place (aka mirror EVERYTHING yo) , alignment and all.
It's kind of easy to learn to use but it just feels like really akward labor intensive lego.
Epic pushed the idea of repeating meshes because their engine can do it on the cheap without affecting performance much.
You saw those highly detailed cluttered tech demos and those were achieved by doing just that.
Are you saying that everyone uses it even though it's hard to place and align meshes (good advertising trumps better engines)? What engine does a better job at easily placing meshes and why aren't people using it?

In fact, if you have suggestions about better mechanics for placing meshes please share them. Maybe we can get something improved. I had been wondering what improvements could be made for quick layout/alignment/construction myself.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I can't wait to see some games that use engines similar to what was in the tri-Ace tech demo a few months back.

beril

shuyin_ said:
@Mik2121:

err, it's not the same thing. You posted screenshots of different versions of the Unreal Engine, not modifications of the same version. I don't know what you were trying to prove.

It is the same thing. They never started from scratch and built UE3 from ground up. If you download the UDK now there are some ridiculously useless tools from the Unreal 1 era still in the main editor. When a company decides to increase the version number of their engine is completely arbitrary. Just because one company hasn't renamed their engine in 10 years, or have expanded on the quake 3 code for a decade, doesn't mean that it's less advanced than UE3,4 or any other engine that changes it's name every now and then.

Top Bottom