• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which film was worse...The Phantom Menace or Attack of the Clones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I'm really curious to hear the general consensus on this.

Let's kick things off with a quick overview of both films...

Phantom-Menace-2-615x275.jpg

The Phantom Menace

Pros: Liam Neeson, the pod-racing scene, Darth Maul looked sort of cool I guess, more focus on practical effects, Yaddle.

Cons: Jar-Jar Binks, Child-Vader, the taxation of trade-routes, every bloody scene involving the Galactic Senate, midichlorians, Keira Knightley obviously not having a bloody clue what the hell is going on.

VS

attackoftheclones.jpg

Attack of the Clones

Pros: Ewan McGregor being sassy, noticeably less Jar-Jar, Kamino seemed kind of interesting, those monsters Obi Wan and Anakin had to fight in the arena were sort of neat.

Cons: Hayden Christensen, Anakin and Padme's painful romantic subplot, the abundance of unnecessary CGI, the most dull and soulless lightsaber duel in Star Wars history, Dexter Jettster, sand, the conveyor belt scene, no Yaddle.

So what's your opinion, Gaf? Personally, I've always maintained that The Phantom Menace is a noticeably better film. It's obviously a horrible, horrible mess, but at least with that film you can still sense the good in it. Whereas with Attack of the Clones, it's just coarse and rough...and it gets everywhere.

What do you think?

Clones is the bottom of the barrel.

No. actually, its the sewage that has leaked outside the barrel and is now poisoning the water supply and giving you Cholera.

TPM at least has Darth Maul and decent effects that hold up to this day unlike the PS2 games that are AotC AND RotS.

Ceres

Banned
No matter who wins, we lose

Only thing Phantom Menace has going for it is I didn't fall asleep watching it the two times I've seen it unlike Attack of the Clones. But then I've refused to watch it again so only saw it the one time shortly after it came out on video.

bengraven

I fucking love clones. There were a couple scenes I didn't like but i can hate a few scenes and still enjoy the movie.

CronoShot

Attack of the Clones had no redeeming value for me.

None.

At the very least, I enjoyed the podracing scene and Darth Maul fight scene in Phantom Menace.

Frith

why waste any time thinking about that guff

just move on with your life there's so much in the world

Ozium

Is this even a question?

Attack of the Clones is straight fucking trash

Anakin rides a fucking Space Potato

lake_retreat18.jpg

a space potato

Scotia

Banned
Attack of the Clones isn't just a terrible Star Wars movie, it's a terrible film. TPM is a masterpiece compared to it.

Attack of the Clones was worse. No part of that movie is watchable now. The Phantom Menace, as bad as it is, still has an emotional fight and Sebulba's podracer sounds cool.

Monocle

Clones is straight up trash. It turns the Jedi into glowstick waving clowns, shows no restraint at all in depicting Yoda's powers, contains the egregious beginnings of Anakin and Padme's lame love story, etc. It's the worst of the PT by far.

At least TPA has Maul, the exceptional score, and very good art design in some places. It's also much more cohesive in general and has a better ratio of decent to horrible scenes.

Attack of the Clones, no question.

It was such a pile of shit that I couldn't believe I was wanting to see it when I was a child.

its always been Attack of the Clones. TPM is like a 5/10...AotC is like a 3/10, straight up. TPM has a lot of great spectacle, a nice filmic look, a few decent ideas properly executed. It just has, uh, ZERO narrative clarity and a cast of non-characters to bring its story to life.

AotC is...bad. Very bad.

Attack of the Clones is one of the most miserable experiences I've ever had during a movie. Just nothin redeeming about it whatsoever.

Apt101

Both were narratively crippled, but I think 'Clones was more entertaining. 'Menace was just plain boring for half the film.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Worst child actor ever in a blockbuster film combined with the worst cg character ever in a blockbuster film is what killed TPM. The Darth Maul stuff was pretty good, but the bad overwhelmed the positives by such a large margin.

Clones has lots horrific, forced, shitastic scenes with Anakin and Padme. Luckily, anytime those two come on screen together, I can hit the next scene button on the remote, which makes the movie passable.

Better Movie: Attack of the Clones

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Clones is the worst. It's a complete snooze-fest.

Liam Neeson is an enormous boon for Phantom Menace and it works great as an isolated kids film. Also, Duel of Fates.

bigkrev

Attack of the Clones, and it isn't even close. I liked Phantom Menace when I saw it at age 11
which in hindsight, was probably due to the fact that I didn't know I was gay and didn't understand that the feelings I had about Anakin in that movie was a crush
, but walked out of the theater for episode 2 thinking it wasn't great

Torokil

Attack of the Clones was the very first time I felt like I was watching a shitty movie as a kid. Even Phantom Menace kept me bemused because I thought Darth Maul was so cool.

DedValve

Banned
As a kid I literally could not understand shit in Attack of the clones. I fell asleep. I couldn't understand what was going on and it was sooooo sloooooow.

I cared more about Star Wars due to marketing than I ever did the movies. I didn't really like anything from it until KOTOR.

Clones. Phantom Menace was a disappointing movie when it came out, but not much more. Clones reinforced that the first movie being poor wasn't a fluke, helping kill the hype for RotS.

I honestly remember more about the Phantom Menace than I do about Attack of the Clones.

PM:

They start on a TF space station and fight!
Go to Naboo and do some shit.
Go to Tatooine.
Now this is Podracing!
Big fight on Naboo!

AotC:

Umm I don't even remember how it starts.
Go to the cloning place and fight Jango.
Anakin kills some sandpeople or something.
Padme gets kidnapped?
Big fight on Geonosis!

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
100% Attack of the Clones, for me it's easily the worst, almost zero redeeming features. Last time I did a rewatch of 1-6 right before 7 it stood out even more as the absolute worst. Absolute heap.

Easily Attack of the Clones. Watching Anakin whine most of the movie was unbearable. I also found it very boring.

I actually still enjoy TPM. And of course, the last battle still gets me hype to this very day. A shame we lost Maul so early.

edit: It was pretty weird seeing Anakin so young in PM, knowing him and Padme fall in love. I know they're both adults by the time this happens, but it was strange.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Phantom Menace at least has an epic final fight with that famous music.

Attack of the Clones has Anakin making a creepy rape face at Padme and, against all common sense of what has developed, falls in love with him! It's so unnatural that you have to seriously consider that it's all a Jedi mind trick or something.

Jawmuncher

Attack of the clones is far worse. It's so boring, not even jango Fett could save it. Not to mention the bad dialog and delivery was 10x worse than anything in TPM

Harmen

Phantom Menace gave me podracing, Darth Maul, and Qui Gon Jin. Furthermore, it doesn't have a whiny adult Anakin and Hayden's attempts to act. So TPM without a doubt for me. By far, actually.

Eggbok

I honestly remember more about the Phantom Menace than I do about Attack of the Clones.

PM:

They start on a TF space station and fight!
Go to Naboo and do some shit.
Go to Tatooine.
Now this is Podracing!
Big fight on Naboo!

AotC:

Umm I don't even remember how it starts.
Go to the cloning place and fight Jango.
Anakin kills some sandpeople or something.
Padme gets kidnapped?
Big fight on Geonosis!

AotC starts with the fake Padme? dying on the helipad because of a bomb. Then it shifts over to everyone in Palpatines office.

UglyPony

"I don't like sand. Its coarse, rough and irritating and it gets everywhere."

Ye, clones for sure.

But both are pretty bad.

Phantom Menace at least has an epic final fight with that famous music.

Attack of the Clones has Anakin making a creepy rape face at Padme and, against all common sense of what has developed, falls in love with him! It's so unnatural that you have to seriously consider that it's all a Jedi mind trick or something.

That's because Padme was a freak.

FAw0iMP.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom