• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whites earn more than blacks — even on eBay

Status
Not open for further replies.

akira28

In guessing they must have changed their minds or something. The government did everything in their power during the civil rights era to make sure Separatism didn't happen. Instead of allowing us to(en masse) build a nation for ourselves or return back home, they brought back slavery (shouts out to CIA drug trafficking and the prison industrial complex tho����), had the FBI destroy any Separatism movement(while labeling then terrorists and hate groups) and did everything in their power to make us second class citizens. It seems like America really does want us around, they just want us to be second class citizens.

They came to their senses. Spend millions to spread darkness across the globe? Or just keep darkie down at home, permanent under-class and exploitable labor force.

Its different from convincing a bunch of people to get on a boat, the Black Wall Streets, or successful Free Slave Rebellion states, both of those were unacceptable. But sending people over on a steamer to catch malaria or live in a missionary village far far away. by their own devices or not, as long as they were out of sight and out of mind? Far preferable.

noquarter

Lighting isn't identical in both photos, you can see the black guys fingernails but in the other photo the white guy's nails are hidden.

TOO MANY VARIABLES, STUDY HAS NO MERIT.

That one is actually a much better study. It isn't using a collectible and is selling identical items.

Thanks for posting that link OP.

I always thought regardless of race/skin color it was in bad taste in general for photography/professional standards to show yourself or part of your body in ebay photos.

*shrugs*

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
If they were trying to prove a point, I have no idea why they didn't just have the hand models hold the same card.

I always thought regardless of race/skin color it was in bad taste in general for photography/professional standards to show yourself or part of your body in ebay photos.

*shrugs*

Well, it's also why people put a card with their seller name in the shot. It's moreso to prove the seller actually has the item as opposed to using a stock photo which tends to get less interest/bids.

Interesting post. I hope they do more research on the topic.
Do they really need to do research though? This a known phenomenon. It's just that blacks are the ONLY people who don't do this so we always loose. Instead of playing the game like everyone else, we decided to put all our efforts into trying to convince the other people to stop playing. It doesn't seem to be working.

Zukuu

Banned
It's like you missed the study where the exact same item was posted with nothing different than the hand color.

On the last page.

It's even quoted on this page.

:|

Posts 56.

On the last page.
confused.jpg
YOU WUT MATE?!

Also, it's about the study in the OP. And the study posted by someone else has a banned source. Interesting results tho. Also, that study was done way better.

SalvaPot

Ignoring the racial stuff (Since that is something I can't comment since I don't live in the US) I guess this is as simple as wearing gloves when posting pictures so your bottomline isn't affected. I'll keep this in mind when making auctions.

Zukuu

Banned
I guess this is as simple as wearing gloves when posting pictures so your bottomline isn't affected. I'll keep this in mind when making auctions.
Or like, not hold it in your hands to begin with. That just seems unprofessional in any way.

Posts 56.

YOU WUT MATE?!

Also, it's about the study in the OP. And the study posted by someone else has a banned source. Interesting results tho. Also, that study was done way better.

My point is, even when the comparison is 1:1, the outcome is the SAME as you might say.

So you saying the OP study is garbs because it wasn't 1:1 is clown shoes...MATE.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Anyway back on topic. I find this totally bizarre. I buy stuff on ebay all the time and the race of the person selling is like the last thing on my mind. I will admit to being turned off to buying if the person holding the item has dirty fingers/finger nails though lol. Pretty silly I know but for whatever reason it bothers me. =x

Zukuu

Banned
Luckily, everyone else reading it (that not named you) gets it.

Much how everyone reading the rest of information in this thread gets it...except you.

:(
No because you keep comparing something entirely irrelevant to something else.

I say "this study isn't good" and you keep saying "but another study shows...", so what? That doesn't make my initial post saying that the study IN QUESTION isn't very good and could have done better any less relevant.

Izuna

Banned
Experiment showing the same thing with AirBNB: http://www.benedelman.org/publications/airbnb-guest-discrimination-2015-12-09.pdf (Study also found anti-male discrimination, but that makes sense in context.)

Okay so..

A close friend of mine has an AirBnB and asked me if they should "let a Muslim stay", for fear of "other's would not feel comfortable."

--

All of these studies have a large margin of error such that no policy can ever be done to solve such a problem, and those are ignorant probably contribute to these sorts of things issues.

No because you keep comparing something entirely irrelevant to something else.

I say "this study isn't good" and you keep saying "but another study shows...", so what? That doesn't make my initial post saying that the study IN QUESTION isn't very good and could have done better any less relevant.

BECAUSE, BASED ON SEEING BOTH SCENARIOS, THE RESULTS ARE PROVEN, REGARDLESS OF THE COMPARITIVES.

WHETHER IT IS 1:1 OR A/B, THE BIAS PERSISTS ACCORDING TO THIS THREAD.

THAT IS WHAT YOU DON'T SEEM TO UNDERSTAND, MATE.

kirblar

Okay so..

A close friend of mine has an AirBnB and asked me if they should "let a Muslim stay", for fear of "other's would not feel comfortable."

People learn to not say this about black people anymore but it's basically the same, right?

--

All of these studies have a large margin of error such that no policy can ever be done to solve such a problem, and those are ignorant probably contribute to these sorts of things issues.
Yeah, it's impossible to see if it's conscious or unconscious bias at work - it's almost certainly a combo of the two.

Izuna

Banned
BECAUSE, BASED ON SEEING BOTH SCENARIOS, THE RESULTS ARE PROVEN, REGARDLESS OF THE COMPARITIVES.

You+want+this+_87acbd903c457153967776ebeee8fbce.gif

--

In other words, even though there is a large margin of error, you can still see that there is a tenancy for the results to lean in one direction throughout different studies. Indicating that, however significant, such bias exists.

?

Yeah, it's impossible to see if it's conscious or unconscious bias at work - it's almost certainly a combo of the two.

I mean, as a part-time waiter, I know that people have HUGE biases happen that revolve around race. I'm sure sales people all over understand this.

EDIT: I meant to say I have seen many people serve people differently based on race, among other things. Like, a Chinese person giving better/worse service to Japanese etc.

Zukuu

Banned

Oh good ol Captain Capslock is back in an effort to seem more important. Again, I have never said anything about the actual results. Just that the study could have done better. What is so hard to get about that? Like are you doing it on purpose? Did you see me questioning the results once? No? Thought so. I even said "interesting results" about the other study's findings. So maybe take a chill pill and think for a moment before you post.

Izuna

Banned
Oh good ol Captain Capslock is back in an effort to seem more important. Again, I have never said anything about the actual results. Just that the study could have done better. What is so hard to get about that? Like are you doing it on purpose? Did you see me questioning the results once? No? Thought so. I even said "interesting results" about the other study's findings. So maybe take a chill pill and think for a moment before you post.

I think it's because despite what you might think of the study itself, it succeeds in its purpose. To show that there is a racial bias in online shopping. So when the discussion is about how the study was done and not the results, it indicates that there isn't much care in how fucked up the results are.

?

goldenpp72

Interesting but not shocking. Funny enough, I do everything in my power to not show any part of me when I sell online, heh.

Jesus why are people yelling?

Sometimes when people don't seem to comprehend what is being said, I use it for emphasis.

I rarely capslock it, because usually I don't have to because most times people get it, like this guy/gal did:

You+want+this+_87acbd903c457153967776ebeee8fbce.gif

--

In other words, even though there is a large margin of error, you can still see that there is a tenancy for the results to lean in one direction throughout different studies. Indicating that, however significant, such bias exists.

?

I would agree that the OP study alone is not indicative of definite bias HOWEVER when coupled with a study that shows 1:1 bias as well, that is when it feels undeniable to me.

The beauty of threads or discussions if you will, is that they can and most times do, evolve. New information is introduced that adds to the discussion. That's why I pointed out the 1:1 study to Zukuu when he was complaining about "why didn't they do an experiment to show the SAME items for sale." The fact is that, while the OP is A/B, such examples exist where the comparison is 1:1.

The conversation had evolved and I was scratching my head to understand how he didn't take that into account when critiquing the OP as unsubstantial. I've made my point several times here. No point in continuing it, ad nausem.

Ri'Orius

Why not sell the SAME cards and compare that?! This study is pretty dumb.

If they were auctioning off the same card at the same time, presumably that'd alter buyers' behavior. If you see two Michael Jordan cards up for auction, you're going to notice if one is cheaper and bid on that one. If there's only one Michael Jordan card up, your only thought process is "is this card subjectively worth this price to me?" which I expect would increase the effect of unconscious bias.

Now, they could've done same card at different times, but now you're throwing in the confounding variable of whatever variation the baseball card market experiences over time. Plus you're making the study take longer, and thus cost more.

So instead, they did different cards at the same time. If you randomize which cards are in which experimental group, you can do some very straightforward math to estimate the odds of the observed results being solely due to random chance: if those odds are low, you conclude your experimental variable (skin color of hand holding the card) had influence over the results.

Science.

noquarter

I think it's because despite what you might think of the study itself, it succeeds in its purpose. To show that there is a racial bias in online shopping. So when the discussion is about how the study was done and not the results, it indicates that there isn't much care in how fucked up the results are.

?
The problem is that with what had been given for free on this study it is easy to show there is a lot of room for sales price differences without saying it is solely from the hand in the picture. That is why they should have used like items. Gift cards are something that would be perfect for a study like this. All that should matter is the value on the card. If two very similar accounts, both with over 50 positive sales and no negatives still had that big of a difference it would go a lot farther in proving the point.

When there is a lot of questions about how the study was done and the controls are not really good, the study's results aren't taken as seriously. That is why the discussion isn't only on the results, the study's controls aren't as good as the researchers would like to think.

The Craigslist study had much better controls and goes to show the same point. The results there are very disheartening. Personally I wish the media (not just news but entertainment as well) would start trying to change peoples bias towards minorities.

Too much media only shows blacks in a negative light or as a token character to show diversity in the credits. I can personally only think of three shows that had a majority black cast on prime time network TV, Everybody Hates Chris, Family Matters and Martin. Shows like that had more positive portrayals and would help to change bias. Would also be nice to see more white people get negative roles in shows and not be written as losers. Show the teen that steals and gets caught, stop trivializing white crime and show punishments. Most the time a minority would get arrested but the white character would just learn something and not really face any consequence.

This is exactly why I have nerd screen names and a lily white couple as my profile picture when I'm selling things online. I know how whites think when it comes to supporting their own. Gotta play the game and get that money.

James93

If they were auctioning off the same card at the same time, presumably that'd alter buyers' behavior. If you see two Michael Jordan cards up for auction, you're going to notice if one is cheaper and bid on that one. If there's only one Michael Jordan card up, your only thought process is "is this card subjectively worth this price to me?" which I expect would increase the effect of unconscious bias.

Now, they could've done same card at different times, but now you're throwing in the confounding variable of whatever variation the baseball card market experiences over time. Plus you're making the study take longer, and thus cost more.

So instead, they did different cards at the same time. If you randomize which cards are in which experimental group, you can do some very straightforward math to estimate the odds of the observed results being solely due to random chance: if those odds are low, you conclude your experimental variable (skin color of hand holding the card) had influence over the results.

Science.

The issue is it would have been next to impossible to keep a baseline for the values of each card. The price in the sports card market is so volatile. Literally the same Derek Jeter card on week sold for 225 the next week 350. I just can't see how you can conclude anything with a product that doesn't sell at a constant price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom